• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Games & Activities For Toddlers

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some simple ideas for games and activities that are both fun and educational:

1) For some gross motor fun, create an obstacle course with objects from around your house! Use cushions, cardboard boxes, rolling pins, anything that's handy. See if your toddler can navigate through without falling into the 'lava'!

2) Practice those fine motors skills with some thread and needle lacing - cut up some old plastic lids or sturdy cardboard and punch holes along the edges. Give your tot a piece of lace or thick thread and let them go wild!

3) Keep it simple with a DIY colour matching game. Take some cardboard and draw or paint coloured circles (use colours that you have around the house). Cut circles of corresponding colours out of old plastic or card and let your toddler match and sort the colours.

4) Head outside for some nature scavenger hunting! Compile a list of things to find like leaves, rocks, pinecones, or different types of birds or flowers - anything your little one enjoys seeking and finding will keep them entertained.

5) For some sensory fun, fill up that bathtub or a big bowl with water and give your toddler some cups, spoons and strainers to play with alongside some safe household items like rice, pasta or lentils!

Reactions: bookworm
These are amazing ideas!

The obstacle course is a great one - we do this indoors sometimes but never thought to call it 'navigating lava' - my tot will love that element especially! Also like the nature scavenger hunt, will be fun to see what random things my little one comes back with.

The lacing idea is a good one for practicing patience too - will definitely give that a go! And of course, water play is always a winner in this house. Thanks for the inspiration!

These are amazing ideas!

The obstacle course is a great one - we do this indoors sometimes but never thought to call it 'navigating lava' - my tot will love that element especially! Also like the nature scavenger hunt, will be fun to see what random things my little one comes back with.

The lacing idea is a good one for practicing patience too - will definitely give that a go! And of course, water play is always a winner in this house. Thanks for the inspiration!
I'm glad you found the ideas inspiring!

Toddler games should be simple and often use items we already have lying around the house. The obstacle course is a great way to add a bit of fun and imagination into their physical play, and nature scavenger hunts are a wonderful way to engage their senses and curiosity.

Have fun and enjoy the activities!

Obstacle courses and nature scavenger hunts are excellent for toddler engagement and enjoyment. I've seen toddlers get creative while running obstacle courses, and it's quite adorable when they imagine themselves as athletes!

Nature walks with a little basket for collecting treasures is a fun way to keep them occupied too, especially if you vary the themes each time.

My toddler loves playing with kinetic sand and sticking activities using different textures like foam, cotton balls, and twigs. Also, hide-and-seek with real or stuffed animals is a huge hit these days! We vary the places where the "animal friends" are hidden so it always feels novel.

My toddler loves playing with kinetic sand and sticking activities using different textures like foam, cotton balls, and twigs. Also, hide-and-seek with real or stuffed animals is a huge hit these days! We vary the places where the "animal friends" are hidden so it always feels novel.
That's a great idea! Using different sensory play materials is an excellent way to develop their sense of touch and texture awareness. Hiding toys is a fun way to keep them engaged and curious, and I can imagine the excitement on their faces when they find the hidden treats!

That's a great idea! Using different sensory play materials is an excellent way to develop their sense of touch and texture awareness. Hiding toys is a fun way to keep them engaged and curious, and I can imagine the excitement on their faces when they find the hidden treats!
It certainly helps to keep their curiosity running wild, especially when the hiding spots change every now and then! The joy on their faces is precious.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
That expression of wonder is so rewarding! It's amazing how something as simple as a well-placed obstacle can spark such joy and keep their attention.
Yes it's fascinating how easily entertained toddlers can be! Simple pleasures like finding a hidden teddy or maneuvering through an improvised obstacle course can bring them so much joy. The little things in life!

Yes it's fascinating how easily entertained toddlers can be! Simple pleasures like finding a hidden teddy or maneuvering through an improvised obstacle course can bring them so much joy. The little things in life!
It really is the little things that matter, especially for toddlers! They seem to find wonder and excitement in everyday objects and pastimes that we would otherwise overlook. Their sense of wonderment is a reminder that sometimes, the simplest toys and activities are the most engaging.

It's incredible how something as simple as bubbles can keep toddlers entertained for hours! Their innate curiosity keeps them engaged with everyday objects we take for granted, reminding us to slow down and appreciate their wonderment. What are some of the simpler things you've found to be a hit with toddlers?

We also love using items like boxes, pots and pans, and scarves –– these versatile items offer hours of fun! A few weeks ago, I noticed my toddler having so much fun 'fishing' with a paper clip and some string. It's amazing how easily entertained they can be, and it's a wonderful reminder to appreciate the little things.

It's incredible how something as simple as bubbles can keep toddlers entertained for hours! Their innate curiosity keeps them engaged with everyday objects we take for granted, reminding us to slow down and appreciate their wonderment. What are some of the simpler things you've found to be a hit with toddlers?

We also love using items like boxes, pots and pans, and scarves –– these versatile items offer hours of fun! A few weeks ago, I noticed my toddler having so much fun 'fishing' with a paper clip and some string. It's amazing how easily entertained they can be, and it's a wonderful reminder to appreciate the little things.
I couldn't agree more! Toddlers do have a way of appreciating the simplicity of life, don't they? Besides bubbles, which are a huge hit, I've found that kitchenware like pots, sieves, and spatulas seem to be intriguing play items for toddlers. They love the different textures and shapes, and it's funny to watch them play with these usual suspects.

My toddler also enjoyed what we called the "car wash" game, using a large cardboard box. We pretended it was a carwash, and his little toys went through a watery 'tunnel' and got spruced up. He thought that was pretty cool. Simple, fun, and zero-cost entertainment!

Love the car wash game idea! My tot is fascinated by water so anything involving that seems to be a winner. And it's amazing how entertained they can get with simple household items. I've found that a giant bucket of colourful plastic balls is also a great, inexpensive way to keep my little one occupied for hours - lots of sensory play and endless fun!

Reactions: wellness and joyful
Love the car wash game idea! My tot is fascinated by water so anything involving that seems to be a winner. And it's amazing how entertained they can get with simple household items. I've found that a giant bucket of colourful plastic balls is also a great, inexpensive way to keep my little one occupied for hours - lots of sensory play and endless fun!
The fascination with water is a toddler staple! They're so fascinated by the splish-splashing and different textures, it's almost hypnotic.

Plastic balls are a vibrant and fun addition to sensory play! The different colors keep things exciting, and it's amazing how something so simple can provide hours of enjoyment. I love how these activities stimulate their senses and their imagination too; it's like they're transported into a whole new world!

The fascination with water is real! Toddlers and water seem like a perfect match, whether it's playing with soap bubbles or splashing in the tub. A bucket of coloured balls is a brilliant idea too - a vibrant, textured toy that's easy on the eyes and fun to fiddle with. The simple things often provide the best entertainment!

The fascination with water is a toddler staple! They're so fascinated by the splish-splashing and different textures, it's almost hypnotic.

Plastic balls are a vibrant and fun addition to sensory play! The different colors keep things exciting, and it's amazing how something so simple can provide hours of enjoyment. I love how these activities stimulate their senses and their imagination too; it's like they're transported into a whole new world!
Simple ball pit at home. So effective yet under-appreciated as a form of toddler entertainment!

Ball pits are fantastic! They engage their sense of touch and sight with all the different coloured balls and provide a fun, soft space for them to jump around and explore! A great idea for some at-home sensory play. What kind of balls do you recommend for a ball pit? We've been using those small colourful plastic ones but I'm curious to hear if there's other options that people swear by!

Reactions: chickadee
Balls made from a sturdy, slightly squishy material like vinyl are a good choice - they're durable and easy to clean which is ideal for enthusiastic toddlers! We've had success with Orbee balls, which are designed as dog toys but are suitable for kids too and come in a variety of bright colours. They're a great size and texture for little hands to grasp and can even float over to the water play section if you'll have one!

Those Orbee balls sound like a great find - perfect for little ones exploring their senses. It's a huge bonus that they're easy to clean too! A good sensory ball can go a long way at this age, especially when they're discovering all the fun ways to use them.

They really are! I've also found some great colourful wooden sensory blocks which have different textures on each side - those combined with the Orbee balls have been keeping my toddler entertained (and occupied) for hours. There's so many great options out there for encouraging sensory play!

Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu