• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun Toddler Activities

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some fun activities for toddlers that spring to mind:

1. Simple scavenger hunt - could theme this around everyday household items, or if you're out and about, a nature scavenger hunt.

2. 'Paint' with water on the driveway/patio slabs. Can add food colouring too.

3. Bubble play - blow bubbles together then let them pop in the water, or pop them with their feet! Could also make your own bubble solution.

4. Cardboard box adventures - could create a little den or rocket ship. Let them decorate it with crayons/pens too.

5. Nature art - collect natural objects like leaves and sticks on a walk, then make a collage when you get home.

6. Fishing game using a magnet - tie some string to a magnet & lower it into a bucket of water with paper clips/coins etc at the bottom. Little ones love this!

7. PlayDoh or homemade cloud dough (flour and oil).

8. Outdoor obstacle course - use anything you have: hopscotch, chalk drawings, hula hoop targets etc.

Those are some great ideas! Simple and mess-free activities are always winners in my book. I'd also add drawing with sidewalk chalk, which encourages creativity and is easy to set up - just grab a few sticks of chalk and head outside!

My little one loves water play, so I'll definitely be trying out the bubble activity - might even add some food colouring to make it extra fun and sensory! And I think a nature scavenger hunt will be a hit on our next walk. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: musical
Mess-free activities are definitely the go-to as a parent! I love the addition of sidewalk chalk - it's a simple and engaging activity that doesn't result in any indoor mess, and a great way to get some creative play outside.

Water play with bubbles and food colouring seems like a fantastic idea too - creating a sensory experience makes it even more educational. Nature scavenger hunts are so much fun as well, especially if you're out on a walk anyway, it adds a bit of purpose and excitement to the stroll and gets them engaging with the natural environment.

Hope your little one enjoys these activities.

These are great tips! I've been using sidewalk chalk a lot more recently - it's amazing how much kids love drawing on pavement and it definitely keeps them entertained.

I'm keen to try the bubble and food colouring idea too, seems like such an easy and fun sensory activity. Nature scavenger hunts sound like so much fun - anything to make walking outside a bit more exciting! Especially now that the weather is getting nicer, it's a great way to get kids appreciating the outdoors.

Some fantastic ideas to keep the little ones entertained (and parents sane!).

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
These are great tips! I've been using sidewalk chalk a lot more recently - it's amazing how much kids love drawing on pavement and it definitely keeps them entertained.

I'm keen to try the bubble and food colouring idea too, seems like such an easy and fun sensory activity. Nature scavenger hunts sound like so much fun - anything to make walking outside a bit more exciting! Especially now that the weather is getting nicer, it's a great way to get kids appreciating the outdoors.

Some fantastic ideas to keep the little ones entertained (and parents sane!).
Yeah, simple tricks like these can definitely help keep the toddler entertained and occupy their time productively while keeping them engaged in the great outdoors. The bubble solution idea is a fun sensory play that comes across as quite enchanting too! Do you have any other exciting ideas up your sleeve for keeping the kids occupied? Parents are always on the lookout for new inspiration!

For a fun nature activity, make some homemade bird feeders! You can use empty toilet paper rolls, smear them with peanut butter, and roll them in birdseed. Then string them up somewhere in your yard - it's simple but fun to watch the birds enjoy the feast!

You could also do some scavenger hunting. Create a list of things for the toddlers to find - a yellow leaf, a pretty rock, or a twig that looks like a letter of the alphabet. Or even hide some objects and have them go on a treasure hunt - it keeps them engaged and boosts their physical activity too!

Another sensory play idea is a simple color match game with water and food coloring. Fill up some clear plastic cups with water, add different colors, and have your toddler match up colored pom-poms or balls to the correct cup. It's fun to see the colors float around too!

Those are some cute ideas! We love going on nature walks and doing scavenger hunts - it's amazing what the kids find and enjoy, like finding pinecones or interestingly shaped sticks.

The bird feeder idea is great too, we might even spot some birds visiting! And I especially love the color matching game - simple yet effective for this age group, plus it incorporates some learning with the colors.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to trying these out.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Those are some cute ideas! We love going on nature walks and doing scavenger hunts - it's amazing what the kids find and enjoy, like finding pinecones or interestingly shaped sticks.

The bird feeder idea is great too, we might even spot some birds visiting! And I especially love the color matching game - simple yet effective for this age group, plus it incorporates some learning with the colors.

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to trying these out.
It's my pleasure! I'm glad you're keen on trying them out!

Nature walks and scavenger hunts are definitely underappreciated gems - they're free, simple, and a fantastic way to explore the outdoors together as a family or even just with your little one. It's amazing how excited toddlers can get over finding cool leaves or pretty pebbles!

The bird feeder activity is a lovely way to bring some wildlife into your backyard too. And yup, color matching games are a hit with the sensory play and a great educational add-on to boot.

You're welcome to ask any time for more ideas - it's fun sharing these little toddler activities!

These activities are fun and engaging, and it's great to hear how excited toddlers get when exploring nature. It's wonderful to bring some wildlife into their everyday lives and have educational elements too. Scavenger hunts and nature walks sound like fantastic ways to create lasting memories while exposing little ones to the beauty of nature.

It's always enjoyable to discover new ideas for quality family time, so do share more toddler activities!

Some more fun nature-based activities come to mind! How about a nature-themed sensory bin? You can fill a bin with sand, leaves, pinecones, sticks, and other natural treasures for your toddler to explore. Or create an obstacle course using natural elements like rocks and logs - they will love climbing and balancing their way through it.

Another favourite is making nature crowns! Toddlers can forage for flowers, leaves, and twigs and then create a beautiful crown to wear. It encourages creativity and imagination and also teaches about the wonders of nature. These activities are sure to bring lots of fun and laughter and create wonderful memories!

Some fantastic ideas here! We love making nature crowns - it's amazing what beautiful creations children come up with using natural materials. And a nature-themed sensory bin is such a lovely tactile experience too. These activities really help foster a connection with the natural world and an appreciation for the wonders of nature - and are fun and educational!

Nature crowns sound like so much fun, and a great way to spend time outdoors too while collecting materials! A nature-themed sensory bin would be such an interesting tactile experience, especially for toddlers. It's wonderful to hear how these activities help them develop an appreciation for the natural world - it's so important they learn about the wonders of nature from a young age.

Nature crowns sound like so much fun, and a great way to spend time outdoors too while collecting materials! A nature-themed sensory bin would be such an interesting tactile experience, especially for toddlers. It's wonderful to hear how these activities help them develop an appreciation for the natural world - it's so important they learn about the wonders of nature from a young age.
It is important for kids to explore the wonders of nature at a young age, helping them develop curiosity and respect for the environment. There are definitely many fun ways to keep toddlers occupied while unknowingly fostering their environmental consciousness! Nature crowns and sensory bins are definitely up there on the list of fun activities! What other exciting ideas do you have?

Nature scavenger hunts! Give them a bucket or bag to collect leaves, sticks, and rocks. You could even turn it into a game where they have to find an item of a certain colour or shape. It keeps them engaged with the natural environment and can spark curiosity too - you could even talk about what different items are useful for.

That's a lovely idea! My little one loves collecting treasures - we've started painting the sticks and leaves we find, too. It's a great way to keep them entertained and it's so simple! I'll definitely try your suggestion of turning it into a game - might make an appearance of some sort too; that'd be fun for a real nature scavenger!

Painting found sticks and leaves is a great idea! Simple and effective, and a good way to keep those little hands busy. Turning it into a game with an appearance motif would really make it fun for them, especially if they get to dress up too. So much fun to be had!

Painting found sticks and leaves is a great idea! Simple and effective, and a good way to keep those little hands busy. Turning it into a game with an appearance motif would really make it fun for them, especially if they get to dress up too. So much fun to be had!
Yeah, a bit of creativity and imagination goes a long way with toddlers! Painting found objects makes for a delightful sensory experience , and it's fascinating to see the colors they choose and their little imaginations at work. Dressing up and making an appearance could make the whole experience more enjoyable and memorable for them.

Toddlers would love the freedom to express themselves through paint colours - it's a great idea to encourage their creativity from an early age! And you're right about the excitement of seeing what they come up with, especially when they have dress-up outfits on too - adorable and memorable!

Toddlers would love the freedom to express themselves through paint colours - it's a great idea to encourage their creativity from an early age! And you're right about the excitement of seeing what they come up with, especially when they have dress-up outfits on too - adorable and memorable!
It's also remarkable how toddlers' imaginative and creative thinking starts to develop around this stage. Simple activities like these can help tot he process along. It does make parenting fun!

So true! You'd be surprised at how something as simple as a cardboard box and some chalk can keep them entertained for hours. They start coming up with the most creative scenarios too, it's adorable to witness their minds working! The other day my tot made a 'house' out of boxes and 'cooked' me dinner - it was so cute, she even tried to serve me imaginary soup with a toy spoon haha!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu