• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frustrations and Secrets

For sure, that tightrope walk between politeness and honesty can be a tricky one! Experience teaches us when to dodge and when to tackle situations head-on, without confusing others. We learn as we go along..and hopefully don't end up too scratched up from all the balancing acts! đŸ˜…
I think the hardest part is knowing when to pick your battles. I'm certainly not gonna win them all, so better to choose wisely! Laughter and a good exit help, too, haha!

It's a skill that can be learned, but sometimes it's soo tempting to just be blunt and cut to the chase. Save all the mind games, ha! But then again, there's something charming about those who can make an art out of subtle communication.
I feel you there! It's a fine balance really, because being too blunt can be off-putting to some, but mind games are exhausting. I find that people who master the art of subtle communication have a certain mystery and intrigue about them that keeps folks engaged and listening. It's an interesting conundrum.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I think the hardest part is knowing when to pick your battles. I'm certainly not gonna win them all, so better to choose wisely! Laughter and a good exit help, too, haha!
Yup, got to know when to fold 'em! Can't be winning them all or save everyone; that's a fast track to burnout and exhaustion.. and who needs that? Haha. Laughter definitely helps in tricky situations - doesn't fix the problem but makes for a smoother exit!

I feel you there! It's a fine balance really, because being too blunt can be off-putting to some, but mind games are exhausting. I find that people who master the art of subtle communication have a certain mystery and intrigue about them that keeps folks engaged and listening. It's an interesting conundrum.
True dat! Subtlety and a bit of intrigue can definitely make for captivating interactions. However, it's a thin line one has to tow, coz too much mystery can be frustrating! Especially when you're trying to connect with someone on a deeper level.

Yup, got to know when to fold 'em! Can't be winning them all or save everyone; that's a fast track to burnout and exhaustion.. and who needs that? Haha. Laughter definitely helps in tricky situations - doesn't fix the problem but makes for a smoother exit!
So very true! Also, sometimes I find that keeping quiet and just listening works best. People usually figure out their own solutions eventually, and then you don't have to be the bad guy! Saves a lot of trouble too, heh.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
So very true! Also, sometimes I find that keeping quiet and just listening works best. People usually figure out their own solutions eventually, and then you don't have to be the bad guy! Saves a lot of trouble too, heh.
I agree! I think that's the sign of an effective listener, being able to give someone the space to share and work things through at their own pace. Can help them gain clarity without the added pressure. But it can be hard to resist the urge to jump in with advice sometimes!

I agree! I think that's the sign of an effective listener, being able to give someone the space to share and work things through at their own pace. Can help them gain clarity without the added pressure. But it can be hard to resist the urge to jump in with advice sometimes!
Mm, true. We're all different though, and that's fine too. Got to find a balance between being supportive and letting others share their thoughts freely. Some folks just need a nudge or two to get things off their chest, and that's okay!

Reactions: musical
Mm, true. We're all different though, and that's fine too. Got to find a balance between being supportive and letting others share their thoughts freely. Some folks just need a nudge or two to get things off their chest, and that's okay!
Absolutely! Everyone has their own approach, and it's great when we can respect those differences. It's a skill in itself to create a safe space for people to share what they need to, at their own comfort level. And you're right, often a gentle nudge can help open up the floodgates!

I have a pretty simple frustration that I face quite often which I think many can relate to - it's the struggle and headache of deciding what to eat for meals, especially when you're hungry!

It's like your brain freezes up when faced with too many options, and the decision becomes harder the hungrier you are. Sometimes, it feels easier to just settle for the same old thing rather than adventure into unknown territories, but then again, variety is the spice of life. It's a conundrum!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Yo, I totally feel you there. Some folks are such hypocrites, man. They act all holy and shit, but behind the scenes, they're worse than a K-drama villain.

And yeah, can I just say how annoying it is when people blow up over tiny things? Like, calm down lah. We've got no time for these petty issues.

Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Absolutely! Everyone has their own approach, and it's great when we can respect those differences. It's a skill in itself to create a safe space for people to share what they need to, at their own comfort level. And you're right, often a gentle nudge can help open up the floodgates!
Haha I'm not sure about skills but yes, respect and understanding go a long way. We should all allow others their feelings, especially when we don't have the same experiences as them. Anyway, it's nice when people have a safe space to share their frustrations or secrets; somehow it makes the burden lighter!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Haha I'm not sure about skills but yes, respect and understanding go a long way. We should all allow others their feelings, especially when we don't have the same experiences as them. Anyway, it's nice when people have a safe space to share their frustrations or secrets; somehow it makes the burden lighter!
I couldn't agree more! It's a wonderful feeling to share your burdens and have someone understand, or at least try to. It's quite therapeutic and often leads to some insightful solutions, or at the very least, a different perspective.

I couldn't agree more! It's a wonderful feeling to share your burdens and have someone understand, or at least try to. It's quite therapeutic and often leads to some insightful solutions, or at the very least, a different perspective.
Makes total sense! There's always that sense of satisfaction when you feel understood and not judged. And yeah, it's amazing how talking about our problems can help us look at them in a different light, especially with the insight of others who might see things from another angle.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Makes total sense! There's always that sense of satisfaction when you feel understood and not judged. And yeah, it's amazing how talking about our problems can help us look at them in a different light, especially with the insight of others who might see things from another angle.
Having a diverse set of close friends to confide in is a blessing People from different backgrounds will definitely offer unique insights and advice which can be quite eye-opening! It's good to have such varying perspectives to draw from when we need them.

Sometimes, I feel like people around me just don't seem to realize how their passive-aggressive behaviour can be so annoying! It's like, come on man, if you got a problem, just say it outright la. Why beat around the bush and hint at stuff? Not everyone gets your subtle cues, you know. Just makes everything so complicated and awkward.

Also, I got another pet peeve. You know those people who always gotta chime in with their two cents on everything? Like, I'm trying to tell a story or share some news and someone just cuts me off mid-sentence with their own related experience or some unwanted advice. It's like, can't you let people finish what they're saying first ah? So irritating man!

• Love
Reactions: koala and techsavvy
Not everyone appreciates the straight-up approach, ya know? Got to keep in mind that some folks are more delicate than others - can't go around breaking eggs to make an omelette, amirite? But yea, I hear you - it's a tricky one cause' while being subtle has its benefits, it can also lead to major miscommunications. Can't win them all, as you said! Got to pick our battles and all that.

I think the discussion on this topic has been quite interesting lor. I feel like some people are just too subtle when they communicate, and that can make things confusing. And some folks are also not very good at picking up hints - so it’s a two-way street!

Then there are those who are super direct and assertive; while it's straightforward, it can also come across as a bit much. Finding the right balance is definitely a skill to cultivate - it’s not easy peasy but it’ll save us from lots of miscommunication and drama.

As for me, I’ve got this one mate who’s a real drama king. He blows everything way out of proportion! He can take something small that’s happened and make it sound like a full-blown crisis. It annoys me man, but what to do - that’s just his style I guess.

Reactions: wisdom
The more I think about it, the more frustrating it gets - gotta keep up appearances and mind all the unspoken rules! Can't just say what's on my mind, got to choose my words carefully, especially with certain people. And don't even get me started on the drama that arises from minor issues being blown out of proportion.

Sometimes, I just want to shout into the void and let it all out without any filters, you know? But, yeah, gotta keep it together and find that thin line between being too subtle and straight-up aggressive. It's a tricky balance indeed.

200.gif

Reactions: nature
Sometimes I just feel so fed up with people around me who can't seem to make up their minds! It's like, make a decision lah, dudes! Whether it's about where to eat or what movie to watch, indecisiveness annoys me so much because I've got better things to do than stand around waiting.

And there was this one time that I wanted to pull my hair out dealing with someone who kept changing their story. First they said they wanted x, then when I offered x, they were like actually y is what they wanted. Like, make up your mind man! But I keep everything to myself because people might say I'm too frank and it's not a very nice feeling to have, so yeah...I just keep quiet most of the time now.

• Love
Reactions: nature and wisdom
Drama king, eh? That's a whole vibe you're dealing with. I feel ya. Some folks just love to make mountains outta molehills and it's like, can we pls not? It's exhausting to even think about how some ppl react to the simplest of situations. Like, bro, chill la!

The thing is, everyone has their own style, right? But yeah, it can be irksome when this style leads to major drama over nothing much. I guess it's one of those situations where you just gotta smile, nod and tahan it out. Otherwise, it's a whole big blowup!

Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! đŸŒ¸

Quick Navigation

User Menu