• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Frugal Family

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
We've been trying to cut down on expenses as a family, so I thought it would be cool to start a thread to collect ideas on how everyone saves money without sacrificing fun. Whether it's meal planning, DIY hacks or cheap family entertainment, I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Meal prep is a big one for our family. Planning meals in advance and cooking in bulk saves us money and cuts down on wasted ingredients. We also do a monthly pantry challenge - pick a few staple items from the pantry and freezer, then try to come up with creative meals using those ingredients. It's a fun way to clear out the cupboards and save money on groceries!

Another thing is making the most of library cards. We borrow movies, books, and audio books for free instead of buying them. The kids also love it because they can explore new interests without us having to spend money on things that might only hold their interest briefly.

Meal prep is a big one for our family. Planning meals in advance and cooking in bulk saves us money and cuts down on wasted ingredients. We also do a monthly pantry challenge - pick a few staple items from the pantry and freezer, then try to come up with creative meals using those ingredients. It's a fun way to clear out the cupboards and save money on groceries!

Another thing is making the most of library cards. We borrow movies, books, and audio books for free instead of buying them. The kids also love it because they can explore new interests without us having to spend money on things that might only hold their interest briefly.
Meal planning's a tedious but necessary evil; might as well make it fun with a pantry challenge! Clear out the cobwebs and spiders at the back of the cabinets!

Using library resources is a great way to save money on entertainment and keep up with new releases too. Kids these days got good luck man, free movies and all!

That's such a creative way to make meal planning fun!
Pantry challenges are an awesome way to explore creativity in the kitchen and save money too - killing two birds with one stone!

And yeah, libraries are an amazing resource for frugal families. It blows my mind that we can borrow books, movies, music and more, for free! My kids love going to the library and it's become our go-to place for some quality family time too.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and cissy
Pantry challenges are a lot of fun and definitely help stretch your culinary muscles, too! We've also been making good use of the library - it's amazing how much you can borrow and the variety of resources they have available. It's become our favourite spot for some quality family bonding time!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Pantry challenges are a lot of fun and definitely help stretch your culinary muscles, too! We've also been making good use of the library - it's amazing how much you can borrow and the variety of resources they have available. It's become our favourite spot for some quality family bonding time!
I couldn't agree more about pantry challenges! My daughter and I had so much fun thinking of different ways to make meals with limited ingredients. We played a little game, coming up with creative names for our inventive dishes. It's remarkable how the library's resources can turn a simple visit into a special family outing with an educational twist.

What a fun idea to engage your daughter and make meal preparations a creative adventure! It's amazing how a little imagination and resourcefulness can turn frugality into a enjoyable challenge. What are some of the imaginative names you came up with for your inventive dishes? Have you thought about jotting them down in a recipe book, along with the actual ingredients used, to reminisce and perhaps share with others down the line?

Reactions: musical
We've given our frugal meals some fun and quirky names to make it more engaging for my daughter. Like the "Space Cadets" for some tasty astronauts-approved freeze-dried spaghetti with meatball planets and vegetable satellites. Or the always popular "Dragon's Breath" pizza, a fiery treat with a kick that keeps the family warm on cold nights.

I've been meaning to write down the recipes, including the fun names, but mostly we're just having too much fun cooking up the next adventure! Maybe it's time to slow down and create that recipe book - thanks for the nudge!

You've got quite the imaginative feast here! What a delightful way to engage your daughter with food - it's a wonderful way to explore and experiment with fun names, recipes, and themes.

The joy of crafting these creative meals and their quirky titles is surely an adventure in itself. Perhaps you can expand on these themes and create a little storybook with illustrations alongside the recipes - a fun family project!

I'd love to hear more about these "Space Cadet" meals and other adventurous eats you come up with. A recipe book would be an awesome keepsake too; it's always nice to have a physical record of your favorites.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala
What a fantastic idea to create a storybook and illustrate it with the recipes! I love the thought of having a keepsake like that to look back on and it would be a wonderful family project too - definitely one for the holidays!

The Space Cadet meals are a hit with my little one, basically anything cosmic or outer space themed seems to do the trick. We've crafted plates full of "Starry Night Swirls" - a fun play on van Gogh's famous painting, using swirling mashed potatoes with a star-studded space scene in the background. Or how about "Galactic Salad" filled with nebula-inspired toppings?

We also like to go on thematic food journeys. For instance, we'll pick a country or region and create dishes inspired by that location - like an Italian adventure with mini pizza planets and spaghetti galaxy. Our little one loves helping prepare the meals and coming up with quirky names, it's a great way to keep her engaged and excited about trying new foods.

A recipe book is a great suggestion, especially to look back on all our favorites. I might even get creative and bind some of our best creations. Thanks for the inspiration!

Reactions: koala
It's such a lovely idea to bring a bit of theme park magic into family mealtimes, and so wonderful to hear how your little one is enjoying it too. The "Starry Night Swirls" and "Galactic Salad" sound like out-of-this-world fun and I can see how those creative names would make meal times an adventure!

Thematic food journeys sound amazing - an Italian space adventure sounds like a delicious trip! It's a wonderful way to introduce new foods and cultures, as well as being a fun family activity.

A bound recipe book of your favorites would be a precious keepsake You're most welcome for the inspiration - hope you have lots of tasty cosmic adventures!

0b708bed141000ab31544998c34fb125.jpg

It's such a lovely idea to bring a bit of theme park magic into family mealtimes, and so wonderful to hear how your little one is enjoying it too. The "Starry Night Swirls" and "Galactic Salad" sound like out-of-this-world fun and I can see how those creative names would make meal times an adventure!

Thematic food journeys sound amazing - an Italian space adventure sounds like a delicious trip! It's a wonderful way to introduce new foods and cultures, as well as being a fun family activity.

A bound recipe book of your favorites would be a precious keepsake You're most welcome for the inspiration - hope you have lots of tasty cosmic adventures!

0b708bed141000ab31544998c34fb125.jpg
The collage looks like a fun and delicious space-themed food adventure! The Galaxy Bark and Space-themed cake in the pictures look mouthwatering. What a cool way to explore different cuisines and cultures, bringing the excitement of space to family mealtimes. Time to bookmark some cosmic recipes for future tasty treats!

That's such a wonderful idea! It's amazing how food can transport us to another place, especially with creative twists on themes like space. I'm intrigued by the Galaxy Bark especially - what a fun treat! Bookmarking cosmic recipes is a great idea; hope you share more of your tasty adventures.

That's such a wonderful idea! It's amazing how food can transport us to another place, especially with creative twists on themes like space. I'm intrigued by the Galaxy Bark especially - what a fun treat! Bookmarking cosmic recipes is a great idea; hope you share more of your tasty adventures.
There are plenty of creative ways to explore the universe without leaving your kitchen! The Galaxy bark is an easy and fun DIY treat to make with the family, a cosmic adventure in a bite-sized snack. I'd love to hear about your tasty cosmic adventures too!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Space-themed food sounds so intriguing! Galaxy bark is a delicious and visually stunning treat, perfect for cosplaying as an alien world. Kids would love it!

Reactions: wellness
There are plenty of creative ways to explore the universe without leaving your kitchen! The Galaxy bark is an easy and fun DIY treat to make with the family, a cosmic adventure in a bite-sized snack. I'd love to hear about your tasty cosmic adventures too!
We made some delicious treats over the weekend! It's fun and exciting to create galaxy-inspired food at home, especially when the little one gets involved. She enjoyed swirly colorful toppings on her snacks. We even used some edible glitter for that extra cosmic spark!

We've been making our own solar system snacks! With some dark chocolate, white chocolate chips, and natural food colourings, we created Swirly Mars Bark - a fun treat that looks like a Mars landscape.

Space-themed food sounds so intriguing! Galaxy bark is a delicious and visually stunning treat, perfect for cosplaying as an alien world. Kids would love it!
Yes, galaxy bark is a fun and easy treat to make with the little ones! It's a simple and affordable recipe, and the kids will enjoy the cosmic colors and crunch.

We made some delicious treats over the weekend! It's fun and exciting to create galaxy-inspired food at home, especially when the little one gets involved. She enjoyed swirly colorful toppings on her snacks. We even used some edible glitter for that extra cosmic spark!
Edible glitter sounds like a fun, flashy addition to any snack - a galactic twist! I'm sure your little one enjoyed the sparkling surprise. What treats did you guys whip up?

We made some fruity glitter popsicles! The glitter added a fun, sparkly texture to the sweet, juicy fruit flavors. The kids loved them and so did the adults - such a hit that we'll definitely be making them again soon. Maybe add some cocoa powder for a chocolate kick next time!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu