• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums to share tips on maternity must-haves

Thanks for initiating this conversation. It's been really insightful reading everyone's personal experiences and recommendations, especially as a first-time mom-to-be! Would love to hear about some of the unexpected surprises people found they needed during their maternity journey. Any thoughts on items that you initially didn't think would be useful but turned out to be pregnancy or postpartum essentials?

Thanks for initiating this conversation. It's been really insightful reading everyone's personal experiences and recommendations, especially as a first-time mom-to-be! Would love to hear about some of the unexpected surprises people found they needed during their maternity journey. Any thoughts on items that you initially didn't think would be useful but turned out to be pregnancy or postpartum essentials?
As expected, many of the must-haves were related to comfort and support, but there are a few unexpected discoveries along the way! One item I didn't expect to need was a pregnant pillow; it seemed like an unnecessary extra, but boy was I wrong! It turned out to be a godsend for getting comfortable during my third trimester, and even now as a nursing mum, it's invaluable.

Another surprise essential has been a good pair of sliders or slides. With swollen feet, getting shoes on and off became a mission, so having sliders that could easily slip on and off was a huge relief. I also didn't realise the importance of a good recliner chair - being able to kick back and relax upright with good back support was so helpful for rest time!

And who would've thought a tummy support band would be so useful postpartum? It helped support the stomach area which, let's face it, has taken a real workout! It really helped me feel more comfortable getting around.

What about you and others - what were your unexpected discoveries that turned out to be pregnancy gold?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
As expected, many of the must-haves were related to comfort and support, but there are a few unexpected discoveries along the way! One item I didn't expect to need was a pregnant pillow; it seemed like an unnecessary extra, but boy was I wrong! It turned out to be a godsend for getting comfortable during my third trimester, and even now as a nursing mum, it's invaluable.

Another surprise essential has been a good pair of sliders or slides. With swollen feet, getting shoes on and off became a mission, so having sliders that could easily slip on and off was a huge relief. I also didn't realise the importance of a good recliner chair - being able to kick back and relax upright with good back support was so helpful for rest time!

And who would've thought a tummy support band would be so useful postpartum? It helped support the stomach area which, let's face it, has taken a real workout! It really helped me feel more comfortable getting around.

What about you and others - what were your unexpected discoveries that turned out to be pregnancy gold?
Some of these must-haves are quite unexpected but they sound like actual life savors! I never thought about the swollen feet situation, but it makes perfect sense how sliders would be a huge help!

For me, one of the most surprising essentials has been a prenatal massage. I had no idea they could be so beneficial! The masseuse knew just the right pressure points to target and alleviated so much of my pregnancy discomfort. It helped with my backaches, leg cramps, and even digestive issues - I felt so relaxed afterward. Definitely a worthy indulgence during those tiring late stages of pregnancy!

Are there any other expectant mommas who discovered some quirky but amazing maternity essentials?

Some of these must-haves are quite unexpected but they sound like actual life savors! I never thought about the swollen feet situation, but it makes perfect sense how sliders would be a huge help!

For me, one of the most surprising essentials has been a prenatal massage. I had no idea they could be so beneficial! The masseuse knew just the right pressure points to target and alleviated so much of my pregnancy discomfort. It helped with my backaches, leg cramps, and even digestive issues - I felt so relaxed afterward. Definitely a worthy indulgence during those tiring late stages of pregnancy!

Are there any other expectant mommas who discovered some quirky but amazing maternity essentials?
The prenatal massage sounds like such a lovely treat, and it's great to hear how helpful it was for your aches and pains! I've also heard that compression socks can be a strange but wonderful addition - they're not the most glamorous item, but they work wonders for preventing swollen ankles and improving circulation. You never realize how much your circulatory system has to work during pregnancy until you experience those heavy legs!

It's interesting how these little things can make such a difference; it's almost like discovering a whole new world of odd yet essential items!

I had no idea about compression socks, but it makes so much sense! I've been wondering what to do about my poor circulation - definitely adding these to my shopping list. It is such a strange new world when you realize how many odd products can actually make life easier - who knew there was so much to discover? But it's exciting too!

• Love
Reactions: luciana and joyful
It really is like discovering a whole new world! There are so many clever and innovative products designed to make pregnancy more comfortable. Congratulations, by the way, and I hope you're having an enjoyable experience so far!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm loving being pregnant so far but am definitely finding some days a lot harder than others - especially as my bump is getting bigger! I feel like I've got quite a long shopping list already, but I'd love to hear about any pregnancy essentials that others have found helpful. I want to be super prepared, especially for those newborn days when you realise there's so much you didn't anticipate!

I found a comfortable breastfeeding pillow a godsend, it can make feeding so much easier and helps your posture too especially as you'll likely be spending many hours seated/ bent over in those initial weeks.

A nasal aspirator seems like such a strange concept but is an absolute necessity imo! Those stuffy noses appear from nowhere and can get scary for little ones, having one to hand really helps.

I also lived in my maternity pjs well into the newborn phase - they're designed with easy access for breastfeeding and are super comfy too which is a priority when you're up most of the night!

Finally, something that's not necessarily an essential but definitely a helpful - baby carry wrap/sling. I found it such a comfort to have my hands free whilst still being able to keep baby close, especially as my little one loved being held upright which is impossible without assistance! They're also great for soothing a fussy baby, the motion of your walking around helps settle them.

Hope the pregnancy goes well and you get lots of helpful tips!

A comfy pillow is a must-have for sure - anything to make those early feeding sessions more comfortable! And I can second the nasal aspirator, it's one of those things you don't think about until you really need it and it's a scary situation.

The maternity PJs sound like a good idea, especially for the nighttime feeds. And I completely agree with the baby carry wrap - anything to have those hands free but also keep the baby close is such a win in those early days. Would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on brands/types they've found helpful too.

I'd add that a simple front pack baby carrier was great for us for when we went out and about, especially as a newborn it left your hands free, and kept baby snug and warm too. And of course, lots of muslin cloths - so many uses!!

A comfy pillow is a must-have for sure - anything to make those early feeding sessions more comfortable! And I can second the nasal aspirator, it's one of those things you don't think about until you really need it and it's a scary situation.

The maternity PJs sound like a good idea, especially for the nighttime feeds. And I completely agree with the baby carry wrap - anything to have those hands free but also keep the baby close is such a win in those early days. Would be interesting to hear others' thoughts on brands/types they've found helpful too.

I'd add that a simple front pack baby carrier was great for us for when we went out and about, especially as a newborn it left your hands free, and kept baby snug and warm too. And of course, lots of muslin cloths - so many uses!!
the basic must-haves are often the most useful! You just never know how much you'll use those muslins until you're changing and feeding a newborn every hour!

I found the carrier so helpful too, especially for days out - keeps baby close and content which is exactly what you need when you're out exploring. It can be overwhelming with all the choices out there though!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu