• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums to share recommendations on engaging toys and books for kids

Could not agree more! Some of my earliest memories are of playing with building blocks and cups as a toddler. The simple act of stacking them up and knocking them down kept me entertained for hours - and the sense of satisfaction when I finally managed to build that tower myself was immense!

We had a few touchy-feely books too, which were especially fun when reading became more interactive with all the different textures to feel. It's wonderful how engaging these books make story time, and they're such an excellent way to spark an early love of reading. I'll definitely be investing in some for my own kids now!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Building blocks are a fantastic recommendation - the satisfaction of constructing something and later knocking it down is such a great feeling, especially when young and learning about cause and effect.

Touchy-feely books are excellent for toddler story time and a wonderful way to make reading interactive and engaging from an early age. The different textures can really bring a story to life and create a tangible experience for children as they explore the stories through sensory play - it's a great way to spark their imagination!

What other sensory experiences did these books offer that were so engaging? There are some brilliant new books with different textures, sounds, and even smells! It's amazing how advanced these interactive books have become, providing a multi-sensory experience for kids.

Building blocks are a fantastic recommendation - the satisfaction of constructing something and later knocking it down is such a great feeling, especially when young and learning about cause and effect.

Touchy-feely books are excellent for toddler story time and a wonderful way to make reading interactive and engaging from an early age. The different textures can really bring a story to life and create a tangible experience for children as they explore the stories through sensory play - it's a great way to spark their imagination!

What other sensory experiences did these books offer that were so engaging? There are some brilliant new books with different textures, sounds, and even smells! It's amazing how advanced these interactive books have become, providing a multi-sensory experience for kids.
Some of the touchy-feely books nowadays come with different materials like fur or silicone on the illustrations to bring the characters alive. For instance, a book about a dog could have a furry section representing the dog's毛毛毛 fur, and it feels so lifelike! These little surprises Intrigue the toddlers and hold their attention, encouraging them to explore the different sensory inputs.

There are also pop-up books with surprise elements that totz enjoy as there's an exciting element of surprise. Some even come with simple pull tabs that initiate the action, which is great for fine motor skills and teaching cause and effect. These interactive features in books are truly captivating and make story time a lot more fun!

Some of the touchy-feely books nowadays come with different materials like fur or silicone on the illustrations to bring the characters alive. For instance, a book about a dog could have a furry section representing the dog's毛毛毛 fur, and it feels so lifelike! These little surprises Intrigue the toddlers and hold their attention, encouraging them to explore the different sensory inputs.

There are also pop-up books with surprise elements that totz enjoy as there's an exciting element of surprise. Some even come with simple pull tabs that initiate the action, which is great for fine motor skills and teaching cause and effect. These interactive features in books are truly captivating and make story time a lot more fun!
The furry textures on those touchy-feely books really bring the illustrations to life - fur, silk, or even sticky bubble wrap! Pop-up surprises are always exciting, too. There's so much wonder on their little faces when the stories literally jump out at them from the pages.

That's such a lovely insight - how those sensory experiences really bring the storytelling alive! Are there any specific books with these features you'd recommend for different age groups? It would be great to hear your top picks and themes that have gone down well.

I'm thinking of putting together some packages with varied sensory toys and books for my nieces and nephews - a fun way to keep them entertained (and hopefully occupied while the adults enjoy some downtime!)

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Certainly! I'd recommend the following:

For the tot crew (ages 0-2):

* Baby-safe, high-contrast picture books with different textures to touch and feel. Rod Campbell's "Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book" is a fun one, with lots of sensory play value and cute animal characters introduced through lifted flaps and different textures to touch.

For the early elementary crew (ages 6-8):

* Books with fun, interactive elements like pull tabs for reveals, or simple puzzles to solve. This age group loves a bit of magic and mystery they can manipulate themselves! Oliver Jeffers' stories like "The Way Back Home" or "Here We Are" invite reader participation and have lovely, quirky illustrations.

For the older crew (ages 8-10):

* Cool, gadgets-meet-literature offerings like the "Science Comics" series. These are jam-packed with interesting facts on themes like robots, space, or the human body, presented in a fun and accessible way with comics and gadgets to build.

Some age-old classics like "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "Where's Waldo?" are also timeless favorites for their interactive elements and enduring appeal across ages.

For all ages, I'd suggest sensory playthings like kinetic sand, slime, or even simple bubbles - these are always a hit and offer a fun, tactile experience alongside the books!

Putting together these packages sounds like a lovely idea - hope the little ones enjoy them!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu