• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums on fun, educational activities to occupy children

Messy play is a huge favourite in our house - especially with paint, gloop/goop , and anything involving glitter!

We also love anything that involves making music; drums, tambourines, shakers - even just pots and pans! It's amazing how creative kids can be given some bowls, spoons and a bit of space. And of course the added bonus is that it often encourages an interest in different instruments too. We've been known to spend many a happy afternoon making our own musical instruments out of junk model bits, then parading round the house playing them!

Another simple but effective activity is setting up a scavenger hunt - either outside or inside. You can make it educational with some themed learning or just let their imaginations run wild with different themes and fancy dress!
That's lots of fun ideas for messy play! I especially love the junk modelling and instrument-making - very creative way to recycle and save the earth too!

Scavenger hunts are a great way to keep them entertained and get some exercise, indoors or outdoors. We can incorporate nature items for them to tick off their lists or themes like colours or even senses, e.g., find something soft, smelly, noisy, etc. The possibilities are endless!

Messy play is always a hit with my kids too! And scavenger hunts are great - especially loving the idea of incorporating different senses for the hunt. Anything to keep them busy and stimulate their little minds!

Reactions: greenfingers
Messy play is always a hit with my kids too! And scavenger hunts are great - especially loving the idea of incorporating different senses for the hunt. Anything to keep them busy and stimulate their little minds!
Yeah, my kids love it when I set up messy play; it's like therapy for them! Haha. The scavenger hunts really work on so many levels - the kids get tired out physically and their brains get a workout too. I should emphasize "sensory play" to mommies reading this - it's amazing how engaging and educational it is! The little ones learn so much through their senses and you're right; it stimulates their minds!

Yeah, my kids love it when I set up messy play; it's like therapy for them! Haha. The scavenger hunts really work on so many levels - the kids get tired out physically and their brains get a workout too. I should emphasize "sensory play" to mommies reading this - it's amazing how engaging and educational it is! The little ones learn so much through their senses and you're right; it stimulates their minds!
Yes! I completely agree that sensory play is such an important yet fun and enjoyable learning method for young children. There are endless creative ways to set up messy, sensory play for kids.

Yes! I completely agree that sensory play is such an important yet fun and enjoyable learning method for young children. There are endless creative ways to set up messy, sensory play for kids.
Some fun sensory play ideas include creating a sensory bag using flour or jelly as a fun and contained messy play option. For outdoor sensory fun, a simple and classic idea is a water and bubble station that encourages exploration with an added tactile and visual sensory experience.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu