• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums on fun, educational activities to occupy children

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no shortage of fun, educational activities to keep your children occupied and engaged as they continue to develop and learn!

The key is finding the right balance between fun and education, and luckily, many options do both!

What are some of your go-to activities that you've found most successful in stimulating minds and keeping them entertained?

Are there any unique activities or resources you have discovered that other parents might benefit from knowing about? What age groups are they suitable for?

Let's create a comprehensive list of fun extracurriculars that we can all turn to when we need some new ideas!

There's no shortage of fun, educational activities to keep your children occupied and engaged as they continue to develop and learn!

The key is finding the right balance between fun and education, and luckily, many options do both!

What are some of your go-to activities that you've found most successful in stimulating minds and keeping them entertained?

Are there any unique activities or resources you have discovered that other parents might benefit from knowing about? What age groups are they suitable for?

Let's create a comprehensive list of fun extracurriculars that we can all turn to when we need some new ideas!
I've found that simple craft kits are a great hit with my little ones. They're especially good for keeping kids entertained during the holidays, and some of the finished products can be given as homemade gifts, which is an added bonus! Age-appropriate scissor practice with various types of paper and textures is a fun way to develop those fine motor skills, and it's amazing what kinds of creative artwork children come up with.

For my older kid who is starting to learn numbers, money coins can be a fun teachable resource. We play lots of games with the different coins, and it's a great way to learn about values and do some simple addition and subtraction too.

I recently discovered these waterproof magic pens that bring coloring to life - the kids love them! You draw on special paper and the colors appear as if by magic when you reveal them with water. It's a cool effect that keeps them enthralled and is great for bath time too! Suitable for maybe 4 years old and up, I'd say.

Also, if you want something that grows with the kid's skills and interests, you could invest in one of those stem subscription boxes which have different themes and are tailored towards various age groups. Mine loved the mystery and excitement of receiving a package addressed to them and getting to explore the experiments and activities inside. There are so many different themes caterpillar to various interests like arts & crafts, science, and engineering. These keep the kids entertained for hours.

You could also encourage an early love for reading and writing by creating a story jar. Write down lots of different words - nouns, adjectives, and verbs on little pieces of paper - and have the children pick three at random. They then have to create a story with those elements, encouraging creativity and language skills. This activity never gets old, and it's fun to see what wild stories the kids come up with!

Crafts are a great idea and can result in lovely homemade gifts! Love the story jar idea too - a fun way to encourage creativity and an early love for writing.

The magic pens sound amazing! What a cool effect, and a great bath-time activity. I also like the educational aspect of money coins for older kids; simple games are a great way to learn about mathematics.

Subscription boxes are a fantastic idea for catering to different skill levels and interests. They're exciting and mysterious for the kids, and the activities sound really engaging. Lots of fun learning opportunities!

Crafts are a great idea and can result in lovely homemade gifts! Love the story jar idea too - a fun way to encourage creativity and an early love for writing.

The magic pens sound amazing! What a cool effect, and a great bath-time activity. I also like the educational aspect of money coins for older kids; simple games are a great way to learn about mathematics.

Subscription boxes are a fantastic idea for catering to different skill levels and interests. They're exciting and mysterious for the kids, and the activities sound really engaging. Lots of fun learning opportunities!
The subscription boxes seem like a exciting surprise every month! The anticipation and wonderment of what theme it'll be is certainly fun and educational too. We haven't tried that yet but it's an option I'm considering, as it seems like good value-for-money, especially with the convenience of having most materials sent right to your doorstep.

Do you think these activity boxes cater enough to the wide range of skill levels required, say for example in a large multi-aged family? And do you think the activities are diverse and interesting enough month after month? After all, kids get bored easily and sometimes parents might not have the bandwidth to constantly research and source for new materials.

The subscription boxes seem like a exciting surprise every month! The anticipation and wonderment of what theme it'll be is certainly fun and educational too. We haven't tried that yet but it's an option I'm considering, as it seems like good value-for-money, especially with the convenience of having most materials sent right to your doorstep.

Do you think these activity boxes cater enough to the wide range of skill levels required, say for example in a large multi-aged family? And do you think the activities are diverse and interesting enough month after month? After all, kids get bored easily and sometimes parents might not have the bandwidth to constantly research and source for new materials.
The activity boxes are usually targeted at specific age groups, with varying skill levels catered for within that range. While they may not be suitable for a really wide age gap - say, toddlers and teenagers in the same box - there are options for older and younger kids within the same delivery. The themes do vary monthly but some companies also allow you to choose from a menu of options - eg. science, art etc., which can align with your child's interests. And no, kids won't be doing the exact same activity for months on end - that's the beauty of these subscription boxes; plenty of variety to keep them engaged!

That sounds really great - especially the variety it offers. Subscription boxes often get a bad wrap for being same-y and pointless but it sounds like these activity ones are the opposite, especially with the different themes and skill levels tailored into each box. I might have to sign my cousin's kids up for one! Does anyone have any recommendations on good ones to try? Or ones to avoid - always good to hear reviews too!

Some of the popular ones are KidArtBox, GreenKidCrafts and LittlePassports. Each of these companies has different themes like science, art or cultural appreciation, and they offer a wide variety of activities to keep kids engaged and entertained.

There's also the option of selecting activity boxes based on specific themes like the ones focused solely on STEM activities which are great if you want your children to develop an interest in that area. Some popular ones in this category include the likes of MEL Sciences, which has cool experiments and gadgets for young kids to make and learn with.

The quality and duration of the activities offered by the subscription services vary a lot too - some offer really cool, in-depth activities spanning across multiple days which is great if you're looking for something more extensive and engaging over the holidays especially. Services like those tend to stand out amongst the crowd as they focus on the depth of their content and the educational value really shines through.

When it comes to reviews, it's always good to browse online to figure out the quality and reputation of the boxes before committing. Some companies offer trials and single purchases which is a good way to test run without signing up for a long-term subscription!

Some of the popular ones are KidArtBox, GreenKidCrafts and LittlePassports. Each of these companies has different themes like science, art or cultural appreciation, and they offer a wide variety of activities to keep kids engaged and entertained.

There's also the option of selecting activity boxes based on specific themes like the ones focused solely on STEM activities which are great if you want your children to develop an interest in that area. Some popular ones in this category include the likes of MEL Sciences, which has cool experiments and gadgets for young kids to make and learn with.

The quality and duration of the activities offered by the subscription services vary a lot too - some offer really cool, in-depth activities spanning across multiple days which is great if you're looking for something more extensive and engaging over the holidays especially. Services like those tend to stand out amongst the crowd as they focus on the depth of their content and the educational value really shines through.

When it comes to reviews, it's always good to browse online to figure out the quality and reputation of the boxes before committing. Some companies offer trials and single purchases which is a good way to test run without signing up for a long-term subscription!
Good to know about these activity boxes! especially the MEL Sciences; my children love experimentation. I normally opt for trial boxes first to see if they suit my kids' interests and our schedule. It's encouraging to know that there are quite a few options available, and it helps to read up online reviews before committing to a longer subscription - can be a waste of resources otherwise!

Are there other recommendation criteria beyond theme categories? Like perhaps age appropriateness or educational focus?

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Yes, some subscription boxes have clear age appropriateness guidelines and others cater to a wider age range - often with adult supervision/assistance for the younger end. Most good subscription boxes will indicate the recommended ages on their websites, which is super helpful in your decision-making process.

I find that the best ones also offer flexibility in terms of educational focus - some might lean towards STEM activities while others cover a variety of topics such as arts, crafts, cultures, and languages. It depends on what you and your children enjoy most! Some boxes also allow for customisation of themes which is handy if you want to zero in on one particular area of interest.

It's beneficial to have an idea of the frequency of delivery too - some might be weekly, fortnightly, or monthly, and that affects the commitment level as well.

Yes, some subscription boxes have clear age appropriateness guidelines and others cater to a wider age range - often with adult supervision/assistance for the younger end. Most good subscription boxes will indicate the recommended ages on their websites, which is super helpful in your decision-making process.

I find that the best ones also offer flexibility in terms of educational focus - some might lean towards STEM activities while others cover a variety of topics such as arts, crafts, cultures, and languages. It depends on what you and your children enjoy most! Some boxes also allow for customisation of themes which is handy if you want to zero in on one particular area of interest.

It's beneficial to have an idea of the frequency of delivery too - some might be weekly, fortnightly, or monthly, and that affects the commitment level as well.
Some subscription boxes are quite inclusive with their age recommendations, which can make decision-making harder! Having an idea of what subjects you'd like to expose your child to can help zero in on the vast options available. Weekly topics and activities, for instance, arts and crafts, could be a fun surprise for children and a great way to keep them engaged.

That's a great point about considering the subjects one might want their child to engage with! Having a clear idea of the themes can certainly make navigating the plethora of subscription boxes easier.

Arts and crafts are a fantastic way to explore creativity, and there are so many cool activity packs out there centred around that. If anyone is keen on developing their child's artistic skills, I'd also recommend investing in some good art supplies and setting up some simple at-home projects as an alternative or addition to subscription boxes! Keeping things varied and introducing different mediums like paint, clay and collage materials could be really fun for kids.

Arts and crafts are a wonderful way to nurture creativity, and I completely agree with you!

Setting up an at-home art station with a variety of materials can offer lots of fun and learning opportunities. It's a great idea to keep things exciting by including different mediums like paints, clay, and collage for kids to experiment with.

Subscription boxes are fun too, especially if they're well-themed and tailored to the child's interests. The possibilities are endless these days!

Arts and crafts certainly keep kids engaged while fostering their imagination and creativity. Subscription boxes with different themes and materials are a brilliant way to expose children to a whole range of art forms. The excitement of receiving a mystery package filled with goodies is also an exciting experience!

Setting up an area with different stations for paints, collaging, and clay means kids can explore various mediums and develop an affinity towards one or more. It's also an excellent opportunity to teach them about clean-up and organization, assigning specific spaces for each craft item so that they learn responsibility and the value of taking care of their things.

The possibilities are endless; it's a fun and exciting world of creativity waiting to unfold!

Reactions: lioness
subscription boxes are an excellent idea - they provide excitement and a wonderful exposure to different art forms, especially for parents who may not have the time or inclination to source materials themselves.

I love the idea of dedicated spaces for different crafts too - it teaches children about responsibility and keeping things organized , and the sense of ownership that comes with having their own special art area could be a real incentive!

The key is definitely engaging their imagination and making it fun - the messier the better, I say! Let's hear it for paint-splattered kids!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
subscription boxes are an excellent idea - they provide excitement and a wonderful exposure to different art forms, especially for parents who may not have the time or inclination to source materials themselves.

I love the idea of dedicated spaces for different crafts too - it teaches children about responsibility and keeping things organized , and the sense of ownership that comes with having their own special art area could be a real incentive!

The key is definitely engaging their imagination and making it fun - the messier the better, I say! Let's hear it for paint-splattered kids!
Having designated craft areas will definitely encourage hands-on, minds-engaged learning which is an incredible way to spark their imagination! Not to mention teaching them independence and fostering their creativity from a young age.

Having themed craft boxes or dedicated spaces certainly keeps things exciting and novel. It's a great way to spark curiosity and keep their attention spans engaged. And yes, the excitement on their little faces when they're all messied up with paint is priceless!

Some parents may enjoy the educational benefits of such activities, helping children develop important life skills without realizing it. It's a subtle yet impactful way to teach organization, responsibility, and creativity!

Having themed craft boxes or dedicated spaces certainly keeps things exciting and novel. It's a great way to spark curiosity and keep their attention spans engaged. And yes, the excitement on their little faces when they're all messied up with paint is priceless!

Some parents may enjoy the educational benefits of such activities, helping children develop important life skills without realizing it. It's a subtle yet impactful way to teach organization, responsibility, and creativity!
The joy on kids' faces when they're immersed in creative play is truly special. I agree that themed craft boxes or dedicated spaces add a layer of excitement and surprise, keeping their interest piqued.

It's also a clever way to Sneak in some learning into their fun activities. Concepts like spatial awareness and moderate risk-taking can be explored in a fun, colorful way. Making a mess is all part of the fun, and it teaches kids about boundaries and cleanliness too.

I'm sure many parents will resonate with the benefits you've outlined. It's encouraging to know that these simple strategies can contribute to our children's holistic development!

Themed craft boxes are a brilliant way to add an element of surprise and keep kids engaged. It's amazing how creative play can seamlessly integrate learning with fun, allowing them to develop essential skills without even realising it! Messy play especially teaches them so much more than we may think - boundaries, caution, and an understanding of the world around them. Simple yet impactful strategies like these are often the most enjoyable and holistically beneficial for sure.

Themed craft boxes are a fantastic idea! It's such a creative way to keep kids occupied and definitely an exciting learning approach.

Messy play is often overlooked, but you're so right - it teaches them invaluable skills and provides a deeper understanding of the world. Plus, it's fun! A great, sensory experience for little ones and a brilliant way to develop their awareness.

What other activities do you recommend that fall into this category? Always looking for new ideas!

Messy play is a huge favourite in our house - especially with paint, gloop/goop , and anything involving glitter!

We also love anything that involves making music; drums, tambourines, shakers - even just pots and pans! It's amazing how creative kids can be given some bowls, spoons and a bit of space. And of course the added bonus is that it often encourages an interest in different instruments too. We've been known to spend many a happy afternoon making our own musical instruments out of junk model bits, then parading round the house playing them!

Another simple but effective activity is setting up a scavenger hunt - either outside or inside. You can make it educational with some themed learning or just let their imaginations run wild with different themes and fancy dress!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu