• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums focused on fun and educational after school activities

Cooking is a great way for kids to gain some independence and learn useful life skills - and it's a bonus if they can help prep meals for the family. It's quite surprising how many rich tastes and complex recipes there are for bento boxes, which encourages kids to be more adventurous with food. And I agree that conventional enrichment classes tend to miss the point. So many parents send their kids to such lessons without realizing these skills are hardly useful in real life.
It's good to prioritize skills that our children will find practical and helpful as they grow up. Recognizing and encouraging their interests from a young age can really benefit their holistic development!

It's great to hear positive insights on a variety of after-school activities! It's beneficial for parents to hear experiences beyond our own.
With so many options available, it becomes harder to commit to any one activity. It's helpful to hear the benefits of each activity from parents in this forum! I wonder if there are other traditional activities like Scouts that teach soft skills such as leadership and teamwork? Would these be as enjoyable for kids who don't necessarily thrive in the outdoors?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Scouts is a fantastic program that teaches leadership and teamwork through fun and challenging activities. The sense of adventure and the opportunity to explore the outdoors are rewarding for many children. It certainly sounds like an enriching activity your children would benefit from, and could be a great way to make new friends too!

Do you think they might be interested in giving it a shot?
My kids have always been inclined towards indoor activities, so I'm not sure how they'd feel about scouting. They might enjoy the outdoors and making new friends though - it's worth a try! The leadership skills are also very appealing. I'll bring it up to them and see what their thoughts are on trying something new.

Their current focus is mostly on cooking, they love helping with meals and baking sweets especially. It's adorable how eager they are to be involved in the kitchen! You're right about the motor skills and science aspect too, it's wonderful how much kids can learn from simple food prep. They've been taking an interest in planting herbs lately, which is a nice extension of their cooking hobby.

It's great to see children develop a love for cooking at a young age. Bentomaking seems like a wonderful hobby for them to pick up too! My kid isn't keen on helping in the kitchen but I'm glad that others enjoy it. It certainly makes mealtimes more exciting.
There are many skills that we can expose our children to, it's a tough world out there and any extra talent could help give them an edge! But at the same time, we don't want to burn them out too early in their lives!

It's great to see children develop a love for cooking at a young age. Bentomaking seems like a wonderful hobby for them to pick up too! My kid isn't keen on helping in the kitchen but I'm glad that others enjoy it. It certainly makes mealtimes more exciting.
The variety of after-school activities available today is truly something. It's encouraging to see parents like you promoting such skills - they're so much more memorable and meaningful than conventional enrichment lessons.

Yes, cooking has so many hidden educational elements that make it a worthwhile activity for the kids. It's amazing how many life lessons one can learn from preparing a meal! Budgeting, as you mentioned, is definitely a useful skill to pick up young. And I'm glad that our kids are excited about it too.
It's a joy when they discover an interest and stick with it! The enthusiasm makes parenting easier too when they're self-motivated. Have a great day ahead!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
My kid and I enjoy bonding over cooking too! It's a great way to learn basic life skills and a good entry point into the world of arts and crafts, which promotes creativity and imagination. Cooking is just the tip of the iceberg; there are so many other fun activities that teach important lessons! Parents should seize the opportunity to let their children explore these activities and find their true calling.
I agree! After-school activities provide a wonderful chance for children to develop new interests and passions, and we as parents can expose them to a variety of hobbies so they can discover their favorites. It's a precious time for them to pursue their own interests outside of academics.

It's great to hear positive insights on a variety of after-school activities! It's beneficial for parents to hear experiences beyond our own.
Absolutely! We can get so caught up in our own little circles that we often don't realize the wealth of opportunities beyond our reach. It's useful to hear about the experiences of others so we can gauge what might work for our own kids too.

With so many options available, it's good to get different perspectives on what works (and doesn't work!) for others. Some activities might thrive in a trial run while others might not be as enjoyable as expected. Always good to keep an open mind and let the kids explore their curiosities!

The variety of extra-curricular activities these days is incredible! It's great to witness so many options that cater to different interests and needs.
It's overwhelming for parents to choose from the plethora of enrichment activities, especially when some have such niche focuses! Bentobox cooking sounds like a fun and tasty adventure for kids to explore another aspect of food beyond just nutrition.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
With cooking, there's always something new to learn too. It's a lifelong skill and an art form that can be developed further as they grow up. And you're right; it's exciting to see the kids develop an interest in something and then run with it.

Their enthusiasm for planning meals has also encouraged me to let them help with grocery shopping. They have to plan and budget for the ingredients, so it's been a great way to introduce the concept of money and its value!

there are so many options these days that it can be overwhelming! Fortunately, kids these days are lucky in that respect. The world is their oyster, as they say, and there's something for every interest.
The choices definitely help them discover their passions earlier on in life. It's interesting to see how these after-school activities evolve with the times too! Cooking and groceries are excellent outlets for developing essential life skills, money sense, and responsibility. One day, they'll fly the nest, and we want to ensure they're equipped with all the right tools!

With cooking, there's always something new to learn too. It's a lifelong skill and an art form that can be developed further as they grow up. And you're right; it's exciting to see the kids develop an interest in something and then run with it.

Their enthusiasm for planning meals has also encouraged me to let them help with grocery shopping. They have to plan and budget for the ingredients, so it's been a great way to introduce the concept of money and its value!

there are so many options these days that it can be overwhelming! Fortunately, kids these days are lucky in that respect. The world is their oyster, as they say, and there's something for every interest.
The variety of after-school activities available today certainly helps discover unknown interests. Cooking, an excellent activity for motor skill development and cultural appreciation, seems like a popular choice among the little ones! Does anyone else have any unique after-school activities to share?

There are countless activities that help children develop multiple skill sets. Cooking and grocery shopping are definitely wonderful bonding opportunities for parents and children too.

It sounds like your kids are learning an amazing array of skills through cooking and meal preparation! Budding young chefs might also enjoy the precision and artistry involved in baking - it's a whole other world of culinary adventure with exact measurements and elaborate decorations. Some kids excel at art classes too, which offer another avenue for creative expression.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The variety of extra-curricular activities these days is incredible! It's great to witness so many options that cater to different interests and needs.
It's spoiling us parents because it can get overwhelming! We certainly do not lack choices, from cooking to art classes and scouting experiences. All offering different yet equally worthwhile skills.

There are many options these days! It can be overwhelming for parents when deciding on the best activities that align with their children's interest and benefit them holistically. Cooking certainly ticks many boxes and is a enjoyable way for kids to learn about cultures, measurements and even chemistry!

What other non-academic related pursuits do you think children would benefit from? Nature-based activities perhaps?
Nature-based activities are a great way to develop an appreciation for the environment and encourage kids to explore. There's so much to discover beyond books and screens! Hiking trails, camping, or even bug catching can be fun ways to spend time outdoors and learn about ecosystems and the environment. It also encourages patience and an observation skills. Art and music classes are also wonderful extracurricular options that help develop creativity and emotional intelligence.

With so many options available, it becomes harder to commit to any one activity. It's helpful to hear the benefits of each activity from parents in this forum! I wonder if there are other traditional activities like Scouts that teach soft skills such as leadership and teamwork? Would these be as enjoyable for kids who don't necessarily thrive in the outdoors?
There's much to consider when it comes to extra-curricular activities. It's a good idea to expose children to multiple experiences to find their true passion. But at the same time, we don't want them spreading themselves too thin either!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
There are many options these days! It can be overwhelming for parents when deciding on the best activities that align with their children's interest and benefit them holistically. Cooking certainly ticks many boxes and is a enjoyable way for kids to learn about cultures, measurements and even chemistry!

What other non-academic related pursuits do you think children would benefit from? Nature-based activities perhaps?
exposure to nature is an essential part of a holistic education. Environmental studies and the opportunity to explore wildlife and ecosystems can open up a whole new curious mind. It's also a great avenue for kids who love arts and crafts, as they can venture into the world of eco-art!

Absolutely! We can get so caught up in our own little circles that we often don't realize the wealth of opportunities beyond our reach. It's useful to hear about the experiences of others so we can gauge what might work for our own kids too.
It's a lovely afternoon. Hope everyone is having a wonderful time!

With so many options available, it's good to get different perspectives on what works (and doesn't work!) for others. Some activities might thrive in a trial run while others might not be as enjoyable as expected. Always good to keep an open mind and let the kids explore their curiosities!
You're right; children's interests are so varied these days! As parents, we certainly want to support their passions, especially if they prove beneficial to them beyond just enjoyment. In my experience, even if a particular activity doesn't seem like a great fit at first, it's often worth trying out a couple of sessions to be sure!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu