• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forums focused on fun and educational after school activities

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
---

After School Activities

There's more to life than textbooks and lectures! This forum is dedicated to fun, enriching extracurricular activities which help develop well-rounded individuals. Share your experiences and discover new exciting pursuits beyond the classroom.

What engaging after school activities do you engage in? Do you find them enjoyable and fulfilling or...not so much?

Let's explore the wide range of options available and their incredible benefits!

---

After School Activities

There's more to life than textbooks and lectures! This forum is dedicated to fun, enriching extracurricular activities which help develop well-rounded individuals. Share your experiences and discover new exciting pursuits beyond the classroom.

What engaging after school activities do you engage in? Do you find them enjoyable and fulfilling or...not so much?

Let's explore the wide range of options available and their incredible benefits!
I'm not a big fan of the usual academic-oriented enrichment classes that most of my friends send their kids to. I mean, sure, piano and fencing will look good on any university application but do they really help with life skills? Not really.

My kids are lucky because they've discovered an interest in cooking! We started with just mixing and measuring, which is fun for the little one. The older one likes helping out with dinner and has even started helping me plan our meals. It's really cute, he calls it 'creating a food menu like a restaurant.' It's a win-win situation because they learn life skills and also have fun. Cooking is definitely not child's play, it's an intricate art, so it keeps the interest of older kids too. And of course, the best part is that they get to eat their creations!

I've also heard good things about Scout activities but I'm not too sure because my kids haven't shown any interest yet. Seems like a great way to make friends and learn practical camping skills though!

I'm not a big fan of the usual academic-oriented enrichment classes that most of my friends send their kids to. I mean, sure, piano and fencing will look good on any university application but do they really help with life skills? Not really.

My kids are lucky because they've discovered an interest in cooking! We started with just mixing and measuring, which is fun for the little one. The older one likes helping out with dinner and has even started helping me plan our meals. It's really cute, he calls it 'creating a food menu like a restaurant.' It's a win-win situation because they learn life skills and also have fun. Cooking is definitely not child's play, it's an intricate art, so it keeps the interest of older kids too. And of course, the best part is that they get to eat their creations!

I've also heard good things about Scout activities but I'm not too sure because my kids haven't shown any interest yet. Seems like a great way to make friends and learn practical camping skills though!
That's adorable that your kids enjoy cooking! It is a very useful life skill and an art that will benefit them throughout their lives. Teaching them young definitely sets them up for an independent future!

My personal take is that academic enrichment classes should have a practical element to them rather than being theory-oriented. Otherwise, it can feel like a chore! It's important to allow kids to explore their interests and discover their passions.

Reactions: techsavvy

Scouts definitely teach valuable survival and teamwork skills. The leadership skills gained from these activities are also useful for future jobs. My nephew loves the outdoors and has made lasting friendships through his years in Scouts.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer

Cooking is a fantastic activity to involve kids in, it's a great way to develop their finer motor skills and teach them about measurements and following instructions - almost like a science experiment. It also cultivates an appreciation for different cultures through cuisine.

You mentioned that your kid enjoys planning meals, mine too! I think it helps with developing their decision-making skills and sense of responsibility. They have to think about the ingredients and effort needed, and it keeps them engaged and excited about mealtime.

the range of after-school activities these days is quite something. It's nice to see children having so many options to explore their interests.

Reactions: joyful and eternity

Scouts is a fantastic program that teaches leadership and teamwork through fun and challenging activities. The sense of adventure and the opportunity to explore the outdoors are rewarding for many children. It certainly sounds like an enriching activity your children would benefit from, and could be a great way to make new friends too!

Do you think they might be interested in giving it a shot?

---

After School Activities

My kids love art classes. Painting, drawing, crafting - you name it! It's a great way for them to express themselves and also pick up skills beyond what's taught in school. Plus, it's pretty relaxing for my little ones after a long day at school. I enjoy watching them get creative and simply have fun.

Reactions: koala

Cooking is a great way for kids to gain some independence and learn useful life skills - and it's a bonus if they can help prep meals for the family. It's quite surprising how many rich tastes and complex recipes there are for bento boxes, which encourages kids to be more adventurous with food. And I agree that conventional enrichment classes tend to miss the point. So many parents send their kids to such lessons without realizing these skills are hardly useful in real life.

Cooking is a great way for kids to gain some independence and learn useful life skills - and it's a bonus if they can help prep meals for the family. It's quite surprising how many rich tastes and complex recipes there are for bento boxes, which encourages kids to be more adventurous with food. And I agree that conventional enrichment classes tend to miss the point. So many parents send their kids to such lessons without realizing these skills are hardly useful in real life.
It's great to see children develop a love for cooking at a young age. Bentomaking seems like a wonderful hobby for them to pick up too! My kid isn't keen on helping in the kitchen but I'm glad that others enjoy it. It certainly makes mealtimes more exciting.

• Love
Reactions: musical
Cooking is a fantastic activity to involve kids in, it's a great way to develop their finer motor skills and teach them about measurements and following instructions - almost like a science experiment. It also cultivates an appreciation for different cultures through cuisine.

You mentioned that your kid enjoys planning meals, mine too! I think it helps with developing their decision-making skills and sense of responsibility. They have to think about the ingredients and effort needed, and it keeps them engaged and excited about mealtime.

the range of after-school activities these days is quite something. It's nice to see children having so many options to explore their interests.
With cooking, there's always something new to learn too. It's a lifelong skill and an art form that can be developed further as they grow up. And you're right; it's exciting to see the kids develop an interest in something and then run with it.

Their enthusiasm for planning meals has also encouraged me to let them help with grocery shopping. They have to plan and budget for the ingredients, so it's been a great way to introduce the concept of money and its value!

there are so many options these days that it can be overwhelming! Fortunately, kids these days are lucky in that respect. The world is their oyster, as they say, and there's something for every interest.

Scouts definitely teach valuable survival and teamwork skills. The leadership skills gained from these activities are also useful for future jobs. My nephew loves the outdoors and has made lasting friendships through his years in Scouts.
It's great to hear positive insights on a variety of after-school activities! It's beneficial for parents to hear experiences beyond our own.

My kid and I enjoy bonding over cooking too! It's a great way to learn basic life skills and a good entry point into the world of arts and crafts, which promotes creativity and imagination. Cooking is just the tip of the iceberg; there are so many other fun activities that teach important lessons! Parents should seize the opportunity to let their children explore these activities and find their true calling.

My kiddo enjoyed Cub Scouts when he was younger, but unfortunately, dropped out when he entered primary school as he found the meetings clashed with his CCAs. He got to try kayaking and camping, which were new experiences for him, and it helped him develop confidence in handling challenges.

There are many options these days! It can be overwhelming for parents when deciding on the best activities that align with their children's interest and benefit them holistically. Cooking certainly ticks many boxes and is a enjoyable way for kids to learn about cultures, measurements and even chemistry!

What other non-academic related pursuits do you think children would benefit from? Nature-based activities perhaps?

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
My kiddo enjoyed Cub Scouts when he was younger, but unfortunately, dropped out when he entered primary school as he found the meetings clashed with his CCAs. He got to try kayaking and camping, which were new experiences for him, and it helped him develop confidence in handling challenges.
It's great to hear that your kid enjoyed his time in Cub Scouts despite having to drop out eventually. The skills gained from such activities definitely count for something!

My kids love art classes. Painting, drawing, crafting - you name it! It's a great way for them to express themselves and also pick up skills beyond what's taught in school. Plus, it's pretty relaxing for my little ones after a long day at school. I enjoy watching them get creative and simply have fun.
Art classes are a wonderful way to develop their creativity and fine motor skills! It's great that they enjoy winding down with a relaxing activity after a school day. Have you thought of signing them up for ceramics or sewing classes too? Those could be a nice extension of their art classes, introducing them to different media and techniques.

The variety of skills they'll pick up from these activities will certainly come in handy for future projects and hobbies! Do you think they'd ever be interested in something more active, like martial arts or dance?

With cooking, there's always something new to learn too. It's a lifelong skill and an art form that can be developed further as they grow up. And you're right; it's exciting to see the kids develop an interest in something and then run with it.

Their enthusiasm for planning meals has also encouraged me to let them help with grocery shopping. They have to plan and budget for the ingredients, so it's been a great way to introduce the concept of money and its value!

there are so many options these days that it can be overwhelming! Fortunately, kids these days are lucky in that respect. The world is their oyster, as they say, and there's something for every interest.
Yes, cooking has so many hidden educational elements that make it a worthwhile activity for the kids. It's amazing how many life lessons one can learn from preparing a meal! Budgeting, as you mentioned, is definitely a useful skill to pick up young. And I'm glad that our kids are excited about it too.

My daughter enjoyed art as well, especially drawing manga and anime characters - very popular among the kids these days! It's a good break from the academic routine and helps develop their imagination and fine motor skills. A great choice, definitely.

• Love
Reactions: nature
My kid and I enjoy bonding over cooking too! It's a great way to learn basic life skills and a good entry point into the world of arts and crafts, which promotes creativity and imagination. Cooking is just the tip of the iceberg; there are so many other fun activities that teach important lessons! Parents should seize the opportunity to let their children explore these activities and find their true calling.
It certainly broadens their horizons and exposes them to different possibilities they may not have the chance to experience otherwise! The world of extracurricular activities is diverse and exciting.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The variety of extra-curricular activities these days is incredible! It's great to witness so many options that cater to different interests and needs.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu