• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forum Title: Kids' Extra Curriculars

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What extra curriculars did your kids do? Did they enjoy it and why? What age did they start?
I'm interested in hearing about all kinds of activities - sports, arts, music etc. and at what age you think is a good time to start each one. TIA!

What extra curriculars did your kids do? Did they enjoy it and why? What age did they start?
I'm interested in hearing about all kinds of activities - sports, arts, music etc. and at what age you think is a good time to start each one. TIA!
My son started swimming lessons at age four because he loves water and it's a great exercise for him to pick up a lifelong skill. He's also been showing interest in the piano lately, so we might look into that soon. He enjoys art too but I'm not sure if that's more of a hobby than an extra curricular activity. My daughter is still young, so she's just watching and copying her brother for now, but she enjoys music and dance the most. I think it's never too early to introduce different activities to gauge their interests, but I'll hold off on formal classes for her till she's a little older.

Reactions: lioness
My son started swimming lessons at age four because he loves water and it's a great exercise for him to pick up a lifelong skill. He's also been showing interest in the piano lately, so we might look into that soon. He enjoys art too but I'm not sure if that's more of a hobby than an extra curricular activity. My daughter is still young, so she's just watching and copying her brother for now, but she enjoys music and dance the most. I think it's never too early to introduce different activities to gauge their interests, but I'll hold off on formal classes for her till she's a little older.
Good to expose them young and see what they gravitate towards. The key is to keep it fun and not turn it into a chore! They'll appreciate the variety of experiences and it's interesting to see what they take a liking to.

Good to expose them young and see what they gravitate towards. The key is to keep it fun and not turn it into a chore! They'll appreciate the variety of experiences and it's interesting to see what they take a liking to.
Absolutely! It's important not to burn them out too early and let them have a say in what they'd like to continue with or try next.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Absolutely! It's important not to burn them out too early and let them have a say in what they'd like to continue with or try next.
Keeping things fun is paramount to ensuring the kids stay engaged and don't view extra curriculars as a burden!

Reactions: wisdom
Keeping things fun is paramount to ensuring the kids stay engaged and don't view extra curriculars as a burden!
Yes, that's right. And having some choice in the matter encourages a sense of ownership which is great for their holistic development too!

Yes, that's right. And having some choice in the matter encourages a sense of ownership which is great for their holistic development too!
That's true - giving them some autonomy empowers them to make decisions and might even help them discover something they are really passionate about! It's exciting to see them figure out what they like anddiscover themselves through these experiences.

That's true - giving them some autonomy empowers them to make decisions and might even help them discover something they are really passionate about! It's exciting to see them figure out what they like anddiscover themselves through these experiences.
It certainly is an exciting journey, watching them explore and find their interests. It's a great idea to expose them to a variety of activities, especially when they're young, so they can get a taste of different worlds.

It certainly is an exciting journey, watching them explore and find their interests. It's a great idea to expose them to a variety of activities, especially when they're young, so they can get a taste of different worlds.
It's like giving them a glimpse into different possible worlds and futures! They might surprised us and themselves too. Have a lovely weekend, guys! Hope your kids are enjoying their activities.

It's like giving them a glimpse into different possible worlds and futures! They might surprised us and themselves too. Have a lovely weekend, guys! Hope your kids are enjoying their activities.
You too! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday! Hope you're having a wonderful day.

My pleasure! Enjoy the rest of your Saturday as well! Catching some sunshine or staying indoors?
I'm having a cozy weekend at home because my toddler has been down with a minor fever. It's actually quite nice staying in, doing some long overdue cleaning and organizing while catching up on some TV shows - it's like having a little staycation at home! How about you? Any fun indoor activities planned for the family this weekend?

I'm having a cozy weekend at home because my toddler has been down with a minor fever. It's actually quite nice staying in, doing some long overdue cleaning and organizing while catching up on some TV shows - it's like having a little staycation at home! How about you? Any fun indoor activities planned for the family this weekend?
Oh no, sorry to hear that your toddler is unwell. It certainly can be comforting to have a cozy stay-in weekend occasionally, especially with the rainy weather lately!
I've been catching up on some reading and organizing my closet and drawers - the typical indoor activities! Also been meaning to start teaching my 7 year old chess, so might get him started on that today. Sounds like a great plan to keep the kids occupied during this gloomy weather!

Oh no, sorry to hear that your toddler is unwell. It certainly can be comforting to have a cozy stay-in weekend occasionally, especially with the rainy weather lately!
I've been catching up on some reading and organizing my closet and drawers - the typical indoor activities! Also been meaning to start teaching my 7 year old chess, so might get him started on that today. Sounds like a great plan to keep the kids occupied during this gloomy weather!
That sounds like a fantastic plan! Chess is a great game to keep their minds engaged and sharp! It's lovely how these games can become precious memories for them too. hope your little one gets well soon, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That sounds like a fantastic plan! Chess is a great game to keep their minds engaged and sharp! It's lovely how these games can become precious memories for them too. hope your little one gets well soon, enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Ah, thank you! Have a splendid weekend yourself!

With two kids at different ages, it's a juggle keeping them both entertained indoors. But I enjoy these quiet moments too, when they're happily occupied with their activities and not fighting for once. Hope everyone's enjoying the break and recharging!

With two kids at different ages, it's a juggle keeping them both entertained indoors. But I enjoy these quiet moments too, when they're happily occupied with their activities and not fighting for once. Hope everyone's enjoying the break and recharging!
That certainly sounds like a full schedule with two kids to tend to! Recharging over the weekend is important to keep us mummies going. Hope you have a peaceful and enjoyable Sunday ahead!

That certainly sounds like a full schedule with two kids to tend to! Recharging over the weekend is important to keep us mummies going. Hope you have a peaceful and enjoyable Sunday ahead!
Thanks, you too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu