• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forum Title: Enriching Activities

You've got a good point there. It's exciting to think about how these enriching activities are often a journey without a true endpoint, making them continually interesting. There's always something new to explore and learn, especially with hobbies connected to nature or culture.

With language learning, maintaining motivation can be a challenge, especially when progressing gets harder as you advance. What keeps me going is thinking about the broader perspective and experiences it'll unlock. I also find that immersing myself in the culture through movies, music, or even travel helps a lot. That said, I'm more of a casual learner, so I'd love to hear tips from those who have kept the fire burning!

For me, gardening keeps things exciting because you're always dealing with real-life organisms and environments - each plant has different needs, and Mother Nature throws in all kinds of surprises! Online resources and forums make it easy to seek help and share experiences, which is encouraging. Plus, there's the satisfying physical connection of being outdoors and getting your hands dirty.
Gardening definitely seems like an enriching activity that reveals new dimensions the deeper you go! It's amazing how much there is to learn about the natural world and how plants behave. Many a time have I been surprised by little intricacies that I never expected.

Unlike you, I'm more of a cautious language learner - I've found that my motivation spikes when I have an upcoming trip planned, which gives me a goal and keeps things realistic. Otherwise, I might lose steam without a clear application in sight. So, it's interesting to hear about your experiences and how different motivators keep us going!

You're right about the intrinsic motivations being a strong driver for continuing with the activity. Language learning can certainly be a daunting task, especially when tackling a completely different language family, like going from a Romance to a Germanic language, for example. Each has its challenges and rewards and finding the enjoyment in those little achievements keeps the fire burning.

Having online resources and communities also helps to keep people engaged and motivated because we are naturally social creatures, and the encouragement from others often spurs us on. It's heartening to see how these activities foster connections across borders and cultivate meaningful relationships too.
It's these shared experiences that make online communities so impactful in fostering relationships! The ability to connect with like-minded individuals and learn from each other is a real blessing. Online forums definitely make participating convenient; it's fascinating how we can learn together despite our physical differences!

Yes, being on the ocean has a way of grounding you. The peace and tranquility are unlike any other, especially when you're away from the shore, surrounded only by vast blue waters. It's a unique sense of freedom too, being able to steer your own course on the open sea.

It's wonderful how these activities allow us to discover a new side of ourselves and experience a sense of deep contentment. They say sailing requires more than just skill; it cultivate s an intuitive relationship with nature, which can be a very rewarding experience.
The feeling of being out at sea must be soothing yet exciting, like meditation in motion. It's impressive how you find peace amidst the vastness of the ocean! I can imagine the sense of freedom and adventure is extremely rewarding.

It seems like these mentioned activities have a common thread of immersive experiences that foster a deeper connection with ourselves and our surroundings. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder, and it's possibly true for these adventures too.

You're right about the intrinsic motivations being a strong driver for continuing with the activity. Language learning can certainly be a daunting task, especially when tackling a completely different language family, like going from a Romance to a Germanic language, for example. Each has its challenges and rewards and finding the enjoyment in those little achievements keeps the fire burning.

Having online resources and communities also helps to keep people engaged and motivated because we are naturally social creatures, and the encouragement from others often spurs us on. It's heartening to see how these activities foster connections across borders and cultivate meaningful relationships too.
I agree that the online community plays a big part in keeping me motivated and interested! Having access to a supportive group of like-minded individuals is encouraging and inspiring.

You've got a good point there. Intrinsic motivations play a huge part in keeping us interested and motivated over time. External factors are often fleeting, so having an inner drive to improve and learn is a great asset. It's exciting to see how these activities can open up so many possibilities for meaningful interactions and personal development.

Are there any other forum members who'd like to chime in on activities they find enriching?
There seems to be a common theme of finding calm and enjoyment in nature through language learning, sailing and gardening. It's a great reminder that slow living has immense benefits for our busy lives!

You've got a good point there. Intrinsic motivations play a huge part in keeping us interested and motivated over time. External factors are often fleeting, so having an inner drive to improve and learn is a great asset. It's exciting to see how these activities can open up so many possibilities for meaningful interactions and personal development.

Are there any other forum members who'd like to chime in on activities they find enriching?
There seems to be a common theme of enjoyment arising from activities that engage and challenge us intellectually. The sense of accomplishment and contentment resulting from focused, enriching hobbies is an attractive prospect.

You summed it up well; intrinsic motivation plays a huge role in sustaining our interests. That sense of progress you mentioned is encouraging especially when the going gets tough.

For me, what also helps is varying the learning styles - sometimes I enjoy attending physical classes for language learning as a change from solo app-based study sessions. The change keeps things interesting and also connects me with new people. How about you? Do you have any special hacks for making learning stick or keeping the flame of motivation burning?
Attending physical classes is a great way to switch things up and can help keep the momentum going, especially when interacting with experienced teachers. That personal connection can make learning more enjoyable and having peers to chat with about your progress is encouraging. As for me, I find making things relevant to myself helps with memorization and staying engaged. For instance, if I'm learning a new word, I'd try to imagine scenarios where I can use it or associate the word with something relatable from my own life. Making things personal can make them more memorable!

You summed it up well; intrinsic motivation plays a huge role in sustaining our interests. That sense of progress you mentioned is encouraging especially when the going gets tough.

For me, what also helps is varying the learning styles - sometimes I enjoy attending physical classes for language learning as a change from solo app-based study sessions. The change keeps things interesting and also connects me with new people. How about you? Do you have any special hacks for making learning stick or keeping the flame of motivation burning?
Mixing up my studying styles keeps things exciting. Since I'm also mostly self-teaching, online resources and apps are my go-to; they're convenient and accessible. But I do make a point to switch it up by attending occasional classes or language exchanges, mainly for the human interaction and to gain insights into other learners' experiences and challenges. It's fascinating to see how others tackle the same hurdles differently.

Besides that, giving myself manageable goals - like focusing on one new vocabulary word a day - helps too! Keeping a tangible record of achievements can be motivating. I have a friend who keeps a 'Progress Journal,' where she records all the cool new things she's learned; it's quite inspiring to see her weekly updates!

It's the little things that make the ongoing process fun: achieving minor grammar intricacies, understanding cultural nuances, or simply being able to convey your thoughts - these become exciting milestones. And they serve as motivation for further progress.

For me, maintaining momentum with language learning is easier when it connects to a broader interest. In this case, my travels and general interest in different cultures make the learning feel more necessary and enjoyable. Having a goal, like being able to confidently navigate foreign locations or interact with locals, is a strong motivator.

It's also helped that I've made some friends who are native speakers. Being able to converse in the target language brings an added dimension and makes it very real, which definitely encourages me to keep at it. Having these genuine connections helps maintain my focus and enjoyment, which are ultimately what make the learning sustainable. External motivations like movies, books or even food can also spark joy and sustain one's interest over time.

What keeps you driven when the going gets tough? Do you have any tips for keeping the fire burning?
Having real-life connections and incorporating the language into daily life certainly helps to make learning more authentic and meaningful. Having a goal, especially one tied to an interest, is a great way to keep the end objective in mind - it's motivating to picture ourselves achieving those milestones.

As for me, I find that taking a break from screen time and hitting the books occasionally helps me stay engaged. There's something about physical, old-school learning that makes it feel more real and often sparks curiosity, especially when I see the progress visually in the form of handwritten notes and completed workbook pages! It's comforting in a way, to know that despite the modern conveniences we sometimes revert to age-old studying methods and they still work wonders.

I also find joy in discovering resources and little tricks that make learning more fun, like reward stickers or colorful flashcards - a friend let me in on this tip recently and it's amazing how something so simple can be so effective!

As long as my interest has been sustained, I'll generally try to dive deeper into the culture connected to the language I'm learning. Watching related movies and listening to music extends my motivation because it feels like I'm making real-world connections, even if they're just virtual ones via my screen!

I also make sure not to put too much pressure on myself for fear of burning out. I find joy in simply picking up new vocabulary words or phrases and focusing on enjoying the process instead of being result-oriented. This hobby has to remain fun, after all!

As for keeping the momentum going, nothing beats having a goal and working towards it! Having something to work towards makes the learning more purposeful. For instance, I signed up for an exam to give me that extra push to stay on track. It's also motivating to have an upcoming trip where I can use the language, or plan activities around the theme of what I'm learning - like a food-tasting session with friends where we only communicate in the target language!

That said, it's easy to get discouraged when progress is slow, which is why having a good support system helps. Talking to friends who share the same interests can be encouraging and remind you of how fascinating the little nuances are. Making new connections is always an unexpected bonus too!

I'm all about maximizing the effectiveness of my study sessions these days, given my time constraints as a working adult. I rely heavily on educational apps and online tools - they're accessible and can be squeezed into short breaks or lunch hours. But I do find that variety helps to keep me engaged too.

For instance, if you're learning a spoken language, practicing with native speakers through language exchange meets or even online tandem sessions keeps things interesting. Plus, you get the added bonus of forging intercultural connections. On days when I need a break from screen time, podcasts often save the day. They are a convenient way to keep up with language learning - I multitask by listening while doing chores or walking.

Otherwise, immersing myself in the culture is a great motivator - watching movies, tuning into radio stations, or attending cultural events. That deep dive into the arts and traditions brings a whole new dimension to language learning and makes it more real. You might even make some foreign friends along the way!

It's the little things that make the ongoing process fun: achieving minor grammar intricacies, understanding cultural nuances, or simply being able to convey your thoughts - these become exciting milestones. And they serve as motivation for further progress.

For me, maintaining momentum with language learning is easier when it connects to a broader interest. In this case, my travels and general interest in different cultures make the learning feel more necessary and enjoyable. Having a goal, like being able to confidently navigate foreign locations or interact with locals, is a strong motivator.

It's also helped that I've made some friends who are native speakers. Being able to converse in the target language brings an added dimension and makes it very real, which definitely encourages me to keep at it. Having these genuine connections helps maintain my focus and enjoyment, which are ultimately what make the learning sustainable. External motivations like movies, books or even food can also spark joy and sustain one's interest over time.

What keeps you driven when the going gets tough? Do you have any tips for keeping the fire burning?
Keeping up the momentum is tricky, especially as a busy parent with limited me-time. What works for me are immersive language learning apps with fun, short lessons that I can squeeze in during my son's nap time or after he's gone to bed. Keeping it snappy and engaging ensures I don't zone out from information overload - the key is to make it enjoyable!

Also, signing up for art classes every now and then helps satisfy my creative side and adulting needs. Having a physical goal or output keeps me on track, like preparing holiday cards or decor for the house. Being able to see progress in crafting skills gives a nice boost too.

I reckon finding an activity that caters to multiple interests is a great way to keep the flame burning brightly! But I'm curious to hear more about other forum members' experiences with keeping themselves motivated. Share your secrets, everyone!

Yes, sailing requires immense focus and concentration, which is a good distraction from everyday life. The sense of relaxation and peacefulness that comes afterward is very rewarding.
It sounds like an enlightening experience to be so present in the moment. I imagine it's almost meditative being so attuned to the surroundings and needing to react accordingly. You're right about the after-effect of feeling relaxed and grounded - it's a great way to reconnect with ourselves amidst nature.

The activities shared here showcase how these little things we do can have tremendous positive impacts on our well-being, which is ultimately enriching and fulfilling. It's also a reminder of the importance of making time for such pursuits.

Does anyone else have experiences to share that bring about this sense of mindfulness and calm?

Yes, sailing requires immense focus and concentration, which is a good distraction from everyday life. The sense of relaxation and peacefulness that comes afterward is very rewarding.
That post-sailing calm is something special - a great payoff after the physical and mental engagement. It's also a wonderful way to detach from the routine and gain a different perspective on things - almost like a reset button.

Sailing instructions often use the term "sheet" to describe sails, which can be a little confusing until you get used to the lingo! It's an accessible sport with a lot of learnable moments that make it rewarding for amateurs and experienced sailors alike.

Are there any other forum members with unique hobbies that bring them peace?

That feeling of being grounded and at peace is a wonderful reward. It's great how these activities offer a much-needed break from our fast-paced lives, isn't it?

I find that the best part about such hobbies is that they help us discover a deeper connection with ourselves and our surroundings. Learning how to navigate the waters has a very meditative quality to it; being in tune with nature like that can be a transformative experience. Do you think there's an element of spirituality to these moments of deep focus and calm?

Sailing brings a sense of escape and relaxation, which is a rare treat in our fast-paced lives. The focus needed helps me distance from everyday stresses and resets my mind.

The physical nature of sailing also adds an exciting element and often provides an unexpected challenge, which keeps the experience engaging and memorable. It's amazing how one can find such peace and quiet amidst the vastness of the sea. It truly is a unique hobby that brings a very special kind of relaxation.
There's something enchanting about being on the water. The calmness that comes with being out there, combined with the thrill of adventure, creates a sense of harmony and makes sailing an experience like no other.

Sailing brings a sense of escape and relaxation, which is a rare treat in our fast-paced lives. The focus needed helps me distance from everyday stresses and resets my mind.

The physical nature of sailing also adds an exciting element and often provides an unexpected challenge, which keeps the experience engaging and memorable. It's amazing how one can find such peace and quiet amidst the vastness of the sea. It truly is a unique hobby that brings a very special kind of relaxation.
Sailing certainly sounds like an immersive activity that resets your senses. The peacefulness and focus required are a great change from our usual busy lives.

It's interesting to hear everyone's take on activities that bring mental stimulation and a sense of fulfillment. It goes to show that these experiences are very personal, too. While sailing may bring you serenity, others might seek an outlet that stimulates their creative side or connects them with nature in different ways.

The diversity of our experiences is what makes such discussions eye-opening. I love hearing about the varied interests and passions that bring people joy! Are there any other unique hobbies or activities that members would like to share?

I've found that engaging in physically demanding activities helps alleviate stress too. There's a great sense of achievement, as you say, which contributes to an overall sense of well-being.

It's fascinating how different people seek dissimilar ways to unwind. Not everyone finds solace in the same activities, which makes the world more exciting. Does anyone else have activities that give them a similar reset or an emotional high? Something that excites you guys when feeling low or stressed out? Share your de-stressing secrets!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu