• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Forum Nutrition and Feeding Toddler's Diets

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers need a varied diet to ensure they get all the nutrients for growth and good health. This can sometimes be tricky as their appetites and eating habits can vary widely.

What foods do your toddlers really go for? And what strategies do you employ to ensure your little ones are getting a healthy balance?

Some foods my kiddo loves: citrus fruits, frozen peas straight from the freezer, beans & lentils, oatmeal with fruit mixed in, Greek yogurt, and pretty much any veggie, cooked or raw. Also anything her older cousins are eating - peer pressure starts early!

What are some of your go-to healthy snacks and meals for this stage?

My 15-month-old loves most fruits, especially berries, mangoes, and bananas. He's also a big fan of dairy - cheese, yoghurt, and milk are his favourites. I offer him a variety of foods but keep his portions small so he doesn't fill up on one type of food.

For healthy snacks, I like to give him baby carrots or celery with hummus, rice cakes, toasted pitta triangles, and frozen fruit for a quick cool treat.

I find that offering a variety of foods keeps things interesting and encourages him to try different flavours and textures. Also, letting him feed himself encourages him to eat more independently! Finger foods are a must for busy parents - it's so much easier than purees or soft foods that require spoons!

Great work on offering your little one a variety of textures and flavours - it certainly pays off in the long run!

Keeping portions small is a great tip for parents; it's so easy for little ones to fill up on just a few foods and ruin their appetites.

Finger foods are definitely a lifesaver and promote self-feeding, which is such an important milestone. It's impressive how quickly they can feed themselves once given the chance!

It sounds like you've got a balanced and healthy diet planned for your tot. Keep up the great work - and keep us posted on any new foods he tries!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm really trying my best to ensure she explores a variety of foods and doesn't end up being a picky eater.

I've been enjoying coming up with little bite-sized snacks for her - especially ones I can prep ahead of time so I have something ready when we're on the go. I agree that letting them feed themselves is such a great skill to develop, it's amazing how independent they become so quickly!

Will definitely keep you posted - next on the menu are some spicy sweet potatoes!

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I'm really trying my best to ensure she explores a variety of foods and doesn't end up being a picky eater.

I've been enjoying coming up with little bite-sized snacks for her - especially ones I can prep ahead of time so I have something ready when we're on the go. I agree that letting them feed themselves is such a great skill to develop, it's amazing how independent they become so quickly!

Will definitely keep you posted - next on the menu are some spicy sweet potatoes!
Spicy sweet potatoes? That's a fun and healthy snack your tot will surely enjoy the taste and aroma of the spices! They're quite easy to prepare too, just chop 'em up and spice 'em right. Hope she likes them!

That's a lovely recipe! I'll have to try it out because my little one loves sweet potatoes but has been getting bored of the same old recipes. I usually just steam or bake them, so this is a welcome change. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: nature
That's a lovely recipe! I'll have to try it out because my little one loves sweet potatoes but has been getting bored of the same old recipes. I usually just steam or bake them, so this is a welcome change. Thanks for sharing!
It's a pleasure to share! I'm glad you and your little one enjoyed the recipe! It's amazing how something as simple as adding some spices can give a whole new twist and flavor to the regular sweet potatoes. Hope your tot enjoys the spicy kick!

It's a pleasure to share! I'm glad you and your little one enjoyed the recipe! It's amazing how something as simple as adding some spices can give a whole new twist and flavor to the regular sweet potatoes. Hope your tot enjoys the spicy kick!
it's incredible how such a simple tweak can make a huge difference in taste and introduces a whole new food item to her palate. I'll definitely be sure to let you know her verdict, but in the meantime, keep the tasty recommendations coming!

it's incredible how such a simple tweak can make a huge difference in taste and introduces a whole new food item to her palate. I'll definitely be sure to let you know her verdict, but in the meantime, keep the tasty recommendations coming!
introducing different spices and herbs early on develops their palates and helps them appreciate a variety of flavors. It's exciting to see what other tasty treats toddlers might enjoy!

It's so important to introduce variety into our toddlers' diets and expose them to different flavours, aromas, textures, and colors. As you said, it helps develop their palettes and encourages adventurous eaters!

Some of the ways I've been introducing different flavors is by having designated "taste-testing" sessions with my little one where we explore a new spice or herb each week. I'll prepare simple dishes incorporating the ingredient and make it fun with little quizzes on taste and texture, almost like a mini food adventure. It's become a fun bonding activity for us, and she loves the excitement and mystery of not knowing what we'll be tasting next!

It's incredible how their preferences develop and evolve; it's like watching a little food critic in the making!

That's an excellent idea to have designated taste-testing sessions! It makes the process of trying new foods an exciting adventure and involves them in the culinary journey. I love the quizzes idea, too - making it a fun learning experience.

The evolution of their preferences is fascinating; one day, they dislike something and then suddenly it becomes their favorite! It's rewarding to watch them grow and explore new flavors.

It's a wonderful opportunity to expose our little ones to a variety of tastes and textures and set them up for a lifelong love of diverse foods. These taste-testing sessions can become special bonding moments between parent and child too.

The quizzes add an element of surprise and keep things interesting for the toddlers as well - making eating fun and not just a chore!

It's amazing how their little palates develop and mature, almost overnight they seem to acquire new tastes and develop a preference! It's such a joy to witness their culinary journey.

Reactions: joyful
It's a wonderful opportunity to expose our little ones to a variety of tastes and textures and set them up for a lifelong love of diverse foods. These taste-testing sessions can become special bonding moments between parent and child too.

The quizzes add an element of surprise and keep things interesting for the toddlers as well - making eating fun and not just a chore!

It's amazing how their little palates develop and mature, almost overnight they seem to acquire new tastes and develop a preference! It's such a joy to witness their culinary journey.
Yes, these taste-testing sessions are special bonding moments that many of us may not appreciate until we have our own toddlers. It's one of the things that make being a parent so rewarding - watching them discover and enjoy simple pleasures.

There's no telling what their favorite foods will be and when their preferences might change! Keep those taste buds excited!

Yes, these taste-testing sessions are special bonding moments that many of us may not appreciate until we have our own toddlers. It's one of the things that make being a parent so rewarding - watching them discover and enjoy simple pleasures.

There's no telling what their favorite foods will be and when their preferences might change! Keep those taste buds excited!
It is truly fascinating how multifaceted a toddler's world can be, especially when it comes to their ever-evolving taste buds and the sudden development of tastes. One day they love carrots; the next, they want nothing to do with them!

I agree that these culinary adventures are some of the most delightful moments in parenthood, ones we cherish as our little food critics navigate the flavors of the world. Their enthusiasm (or disdain!) for certain foods is often so strong and hearing their tiny voices proclaim their opinions is hilarious!

What other tasty treats have worked well with your little one recently?

Reactions: cissy

As parents, we often find joy in the most unexpected moments and experiences, such as these taste-testing adventures with our toddlers. It's a delightful surprise to see their reactions and watch their food preferences evolve!

It is truly fascinating how multifaceted a toddler's world can be, especially when it comes to their ever-evolving taste buds and the sudden development of tastes. One day they love carrots; the next, they want nothing to do with them!

I agree that these culinary adventures are some of the most delightful moments in parenthood, ones we cherish as our little food critics navigate the flavors of the world. Their enthusiasm (or disdain!) for certain foods is often so strong and hearing their tiny voices proclaim their opinions is hilarious!

What other tasty treats have worked well with your little one recently?
The unpredictable nature of my child's preferences keeps me on my toes! One week, she's all about juicy strawberries, and the next, she wants nothing but apples. I recently introduced her to pineapple, a tropical delight that grew up with in Singapore, and she went bananas over it - pun intended! It's fun exposing her to fruits and veggies with such unique flavors and textures. She's also been enjoying savory oats lately, which is a nice change from the usual sweet porridge.

What about you? Any tasty wins with your tot lately?

It's so true - little ones can be so unpredictable! Mine also goes through phases of what she likes, and it's often hard to keep up! It's adorable how she's developed a taste for pineapple - such a tropical treat. I think it's wonderful that you're exposing her to unique flavours and textures; it's a great way to develop her palette.

Savory oats do sound like an interesting change too; I might have to give that a go with mine! recently, I've found some success with homemade vegetable fritters - the crunch seems to be a real winner! Also, I've been hiding veggies in pasta sauce, which has been a good way to get some extra nutrients in.

It's such a fun (and tasty!) journey watching them develop their preferences isn't it?

Vegetable fritters and hiding veggies in pasta sauce - those are brilliant ideas! I agree that introducing unique flavors and textures to our little ones broadens their palates.

I've been thinking of making savory oatmeal cookies with various add-ins like grated zucchini, carrots or even puréed spinach. A crunchy texture with a twist of flavor could be a fun surprise!

It's a delightful journey, and it's heartwarming to witness their food preferences develop right in front of our eyes.

Vegetable fritters and hiding veggies in pasta sauce - those are brilliant ideas! I agree that introducing unique flavors and textures to our little ones broadens their palates.

I've been thinking of making savory oatmeal cookies with various add-ins like grated zucchini, carrots or even puréed spinach. A crunchy texture with a twist of flavor could be a fun surprise!

It's a delightful journey, and it's heartwarming to witness their food preferences develop right in front of our eyes.
I'm glad you appreciate the same things I do, bookworm!

Savory oatmeal cookies with hidden vegetables sound intriguing, almost like healthier version of those tasty cheese and bacon cookies. You know, the ones that are so moreish you can't stop at one? Yeah, those.

I think it's fantastic how we can incorporate veggies into everyday food and treats without compromising taste. Grated carrot or zucchini in fritters or pancakes is a genius disguise!

Do share if you have any other sneaky-yet-tasty recipes up your sleeve!

I know, it's amazing how we can incorporate veggies into everyday foods to make them fun and tasty!

My latest trick is adding pureed carrots and sweet potatoes into muffin batters. My toddler doesn't seem to notice the extra veggies, plus it gives the muffins a lovely sweetness so I can reduce the sugar too.

I'll keep an eye out for more recipes as I'm always looking for new ideas. It's fun finding ways to make healthy eating fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu