• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

For those in need of an outlet, this nonjudgmental forum offers a chance at release

Keeping our cool when the kids are having meltdowns is challenging but can make all the difference! I like your analogy; it's so true - no use crying over spilled milk. We can only act and react to situations rationally when we keep our heads clear. It's a skill worth cultivating for sure, and definitely easier said than done, as any parent knows! But mindfulness goes a long way toward maintaining that equilibrium.
It certainly helps to have strategies up our sleeves as parents to stay calm and think straight amidst the chaos of meltdowns. Mindfulness certainly helps us from reacting intensely in the heat of the moment.

Having a mindfulness toolbox is such a great asset - especially for those intense moments as a parent when emotions are running high! What are some of your favourite strategies to stay grounded and react mindfully?

It's so important we arm ourselves with skills like this, and it sounds like you've got some great ones! Would love to hear them and add them to my own parenting toolkit.

I've found success in pausing and taking a moment to really observe my emotions - naming them and acknowledging their presence helps me separate myself from them, so I can respond mindfully instead of reacting emotionally.

I also love using breathwork - especially when the kids are running wild, a few deep cleansing breaths help me find some calm amidst the chaos! It's amazing how something so simple yet powerful can reset the moment.

And when all else fails, I excuse myself for a minute, take that moment for myself and visualize my happy place - it helps me recenter and approach the situation with a clearer head. This strategy is especially helpful when emotions are running high and reactions can quickly escalate. It's amazing how something as simple as a quick mental vacation can help reset your mindset!

What are some of your go-to strategies mamas? Always looking to add more mindfulness tools to my belt!

I've found success in pausing and taking a moment to really observe my emotions - naming them and acknowledging their presence helps me separate myself from them, so I can respond mindfully instead of reacting emotionally.

I also love using breathwork - especially when the kids are running wild, a few deep cleansing breaths help me find some calm amidst the chaos! It's amazing how something so simple yet powerful can reset the moment.

And when all else fails, I excuse myself for a minute, take that moment for myself and visualize my happy place - it helps me recenter and approach the situation with a clearer head. This strategy is especially helpful when emotions are running high and reactions can quickly escalate. It's amazing how something as simple as a quick mental vacation can help reset your mindset!

What are some of your go-to strategies mamas? Always looking to add more mindfulness tools to my belt!
I find those strategies useful too! Especially taking a moment to observe and name emotions - it's astonishing how effective that simple step can be in managing them.

I also rely on breathwork, it's remarkable how a few deep breaths can help us gain control over the situation and ourselves emotionally. And who doesn't love a good mental vacation, right? I visualize myself in a beautiful garden with serene scenery and calming sounds of nature. It helps me de-escalate and re-center, like you said.

When I'm feeling particularly frazzled, I've found that step away, observing emotions from a distance and then describing them helps. I tell myself, "I'm feeling angry/stressed because of XYZ" It's distancing myself from the emotion and giving a logical reason as to why I'm feeling this way, which helps me calm down and rationalize the situation.

Also, it's cliché, but counting to 10 before responding does help too, especially when emotions are running high and our initial reaction may be to shout or lose patience. It buys you some time to collect yourself and respond mindfully.

And a good old-fashioned venting session with another mama bears helps too! It's reassuring to know we're not alone in this and can offer each other advice and strategies. We're only human after all, right? And it's great to know others go through the same things!

Reactions: doctormama
I find those strategies useful too! Especially taking a moment to observe and name emotions - it's astonishing how effective that simple step can be in managing them.

I also rely on breathwork, it's remarkable how a few deep breaths can help us gain control over the situation and ourselves emotionally. And who doesn't love a good mental vacation, right? I visualize myself in a beautiful garden with serene scenery and calming sounds of nature. It helps me de-escalate and re-center, like you said.

When I'm feeling particularly frazzled, I've found that step away, observing emotions from a distance and then describing them helps. I tell myself, "I'm feeling angry/stressed because of XYZ" It's distancing myself from the emotion and giving a logical reason as to why I'm feeling this way, which helps me calm down and rationalize the situation.

Also, it's cliché, but counting to 10 before responding does help too, especially when emotions are running high and our initial reaction may be to shout or lose patience. It buys you some time to collect yourself and respond mindfully.

And a good old-fashioned venting session with another mama bears helps too! It's reassuring to know we're not alone in this and can offer each other advice and strategies. We're only human after all, right? And it's great to know others go through the same things!
Good to know you've found what works for you. Those mama bears are a saviour - having a support system is comforting and reassuring.

Reactions: bananarama

Yeah, I totally agree that labeling emotions is a powerful yet simple method. It's amazing how something so straightforward can be such a potent emotional management tool.

And I love your visualization technique too, transportin' ourselves to a calm, serene environment. I find that images of nature's healing powers are very effective in helping us re-center and de-escalate, especially when we're frazzled.

Countin' to 10 is a classic for good reason! That momentary pause can save you from sayin' or doin' something you might regret. We mamas gotta stick together and help each other out with strategies like these. It's reassuring to know that we're not alone in our struggles!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu