• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Wellness Forum Workouts, Mum Wellness Tips

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This space is for mums who want to share their fitness routines, at-home workout tips, postnatal exercises, wellness and self care practices and advice!

Let's inspire each other while supporting our own physical and mental health journeys as mums. Whether you're a workout novice or a seasoned fitness enthusiast, everyone is welcome here. Share your experiences and let's build a community of empowered mummas!

What kinds of exercises do you enjoy doing with kids at home? Do you have any clever ways of fitting exercise into your day while looking after the little ones? Let's get the ball rolling and share some inspiration!

This space is for mums who want to share their fitness routines, at-home workout tips, postnatal exercises, wellness and self care practices and advice!

Let's inspire each other while supporting our own physical and mental health journeys as mums. Whether you're a workout novice or a seasoned fitness enthusiast, everyone is welcome here. Share your experiences and let's build a community of empowered mummas!

What kinds of exercises do you enjoy doing with kids at home? Do you have any clever ways of fitting exercise into your day while looking after the little ones? Let's get the ball rolling and share some inspiration!
As a mum, finding time for ourselves is challenging, but sneaking in exercises throughout the daily routine can be so simple and fun!

My 2-year-old and I love doing short, catchy dances together whenever we hear upbeat tunes on the radio - it's an easy way to keep moving and have some fun! We also enjoy going on long walks and turning them into nature scavenger hunts. Keeping our eyes peeled for interesting leaves, trees, or birds makes walking enjoyable and educational.

Sometimes, I involve my little one in my yoga sessions by letting her copy my poses - of course, with extreme caution and only the simpler ones! She finds it entertaining, and I get to practice balancing with her giggles and cute imitations!

When she's napping, I seize the chance for some high-intensity intervals or strength training. Short bursts of exercise are manageable and help boost my energy levels throughout the day.

What other mums do you have up their sleeves for sneaking fitness into their busy schedules? Let's help each other keep motivated and share some ideas!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana

As a mum, finding time to exercise can be challenging with the kids running around. But that's no excuse to let yourself go! Gone are the days when I could spend hours at the gym; these days, it's all about short, intense workouts done during naptime or after the kids are in bed for the night.

When the kids are up and about, I involve them in my workouts. It's a great way to keep them entertained and teach them good exercise habits too. Here are some kid-friendly exercises we do together:

1. "Mama, You're a Big Obstacle!" : A fun one involving lots of crawling, running, and climbing "obstacles" - great for their gross motor skills and keeps them giggling as they try to copy me.

2. Yoga Time: Toddlers seem to love imitating yoga poses, probably because it's a fun way to stretch and be silly. I put on some kid-friendly yoga music, and we downward dog and warrior pose together. They also enjoy helping me set up my actual yoga mat, which keeps them engaged before the workout proper begins.

3. Dance Off: Put on some good, upbeat tunes and have a dance-off! My older one loves mimicking my moves, while the younger one just goes wild with her interpretation of the songs - great for getting their energy out and getting some exercise in.

4. Outdoor Adventure: When all else fails, sending the kids to play outside while I do some intense skipping rope or jogging around them works well. They enjoy playing with their outdoor toys and running alongside me when I take a jog around the neighborhood.

Remember, every bit of movement counts toward your health and wellness as a mum! So, keep moving however you can, and those endorphins flowing! What about you, what are some of your go-to exercises with the little ones underfoot?

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Some great ideas! Keep the kids entertained and actively engaged with grown-up exercise is a real win-win, and a fantastic way to expose them to healthy habits early on.

I especially love the yoga idea - getting them involved with choosing the right playlist and helping set up the mats could really make it a fun, family affair. And of course, a dance-off is always a great way to let off some steam!

I'll be trying out "Mama, You're a Big Obstacle!" with my little one - sounds like something that would really hold their attention and keep them engaged, especially with lots of encouragement and tickles involved!

Some great ideas! Keep the kids entertained and actively engaged with grown-up exercise is a real win-win, and a fantastic way to expose them to healthy habits early on.

I especially love the yoga idea - getting them involved with choosing the right playlist and helping set up the mats could really make it a fun, family affair. And of course, a dance-off is always a great way to let off some steam!

I'll be trying out "Mama, You're a Big Obstacle!" with my little one - sounds like something that would really hold their attention and keep them engaged, especially with lots of encouragement and tickles involved!
Yeah, these activities help to keep our days exciting and the kids entertained while instilling some healthy habits early on. The obstacle course idea seems to be a real hit among the little ones! It's amazing how creative you can get with everyday items such as cushions, and it's a fun way to work up a sweat for us mums too.

My daughter also enjoys helping me with some stretching exercises, especially when I make it into a game involving lots of tickles and giggles - keeps her entertained while I sneak in some wellness time!

Have you guys tried any fitness apps or online workouts that are mum-and-kid-friendly? There's so many great resources online these days it'd be great to share some recommendations. Some on-demand workouts would be handy for busy days!

Yeah, these activities help to keep our days exciting and the kids entertained while instilling some healthy habits early on. The obstacle course idea seems to be a real hit among the little ones! It's amazing how creative you can get with everyday items such as cushions, and it's a fun way to work up a sweat for us mums too.

My daughter also enjoys helping me with some stretching exercises, especially when I make it into a game involving lots of tickles and giggles - keeps her entertained while I sneak in some wellness time!

Have you guys tried any fitness apps or online workouts that are mum-and-kid-friendly? There's so many great resources online these days it'd be great to share some recommendations. Some on-demand workouts would be handy for busy days!
There's a plethora of fitness apps out there, but finding kid-friendly ones that don't just bore the little ones into zone-out mode within seconds is the tricky part. I've had some success with a couple of apps that have colorful, catchy sightless and fun exercise routines short enough to hold their attention:

1. FitFlik: This app has short animation-style videos that guide kids through strength and agility exercises. The visuals are cute, and the sessions only last a few minutes, perfect for tiny attention spans!

2. Yoga Wake Up: This one's got some fun, themed yoga sessions that are kid-friendly and only take 10-15 minutes. They have funny names like 'Super Flex Sidekick' which my kids find intriguing. The app also allows you to create a personalized superhero avatar, which is a fun little incentive!

3. Family Fitness Fun: This app is a great find because it focuses on multiplayer mini-games that get everyone moving. Think of it as a healthier version of the Wii Sports we grew up with! There are some fun challenges like 'Silly Slides' and 'Space Hop' that get the whole family racing against each other in short, intense bursts. It's a great way to make fitness a bonding experience.

Websites like YouTube also offer a plethora of kid-friendly workout videos, from cardio to stretching routines. They're usually short and engaging, with bright visuals and catchy music. I find these helpful when the apps above have failed me! Just 15-20 minutes on one of these can tire the kids out enough for a quick power nap - score one for mom!

Do you ladies have any experiences with other effective online workout resources? With so many to choose from, it'd be great to hear some firsthand recommendations!

Some other kid-friendly workout resources I've found are:

- GoNoodle: The app has tons of fun, high-energy videos that get kids moving and dancing along. It's designed for schools and homeschool settings but works great at home too. The exercises are short, engaging, and often educational, with themes like dance parties, animal-inspired moves, and cultural dances.

- Cosmic Yoga: This is a YouTube channel with colorful themes, cute animations, and calming music that make yoga fun for kids. Each video has an imaginative storyline that keeps things interesting, like a journey through a magical garden or a pirate adventure. They're well-paced too, so kids don't get bored or overwhelmed.

- Pomiko Fitness: Another YouTube channel with short, simple workouts inspired by popular kids' themes. Think Frozen, Peppa Pig, and Pokemon. The exercises are easy to follow and often combine aspects of yoga and dance. My little ones love joining in when their favorite characters are involved!

These resources have been a hit with my kids, and it's great to see them enjoy being active while having fun. Would love to hear about any other fitness apps or online tools people have come across!

Some other kid-friendly workout resources I've found are:

- GoNoodle: The app has tons of fun, high-energy videos that get kids moving and dancing along. It's designed for schools and homeschool settings but works great at home too. The exercises are short, engaging, and often educational, with themes like dance parties, animal-inspired moves, and cultural dances.

- Cosmic Yoga: This is a YouTube channel with colorful themes, cute animations, and calming music that make yoga fun for kids. Each video has an imaginative storyline that keeps things interesting, like a journey through a magical garden or a pirate adventure. They're well-paced too, so kids don't get bored or overwhelmed.

- Pomiko Fitness: Another YouTube channel with short, simple workouts inspired by popular kids' themes. Think Frozen, Peppa Pig, and Pokemon. The exercises are easy to follow and often combine aspects of yoga and dance. My little ones love joining in when their favorite characters are involved!

These resources have been a hit with my kids, and it's great to see them enjoy being active while having fun. Would love to hear about any other fitness apps or online tools people have come across!
Oh wow, these sound like great finds! especially Pomiko Fitness - my little ones are into Peppa Pig right now, so that would definitely grab their attention. I'll be checking these out, thanks for sharing!

You're very welcome! Pomiko Fitness is amazing at making workout routines fun for little ones. The workouts are short and engaging and definitely a great way to keep the kids entertained and healthy!

You're very welcome! Pomiko Fitness is amazing at making workout routines fun for little ones. The workouts are short and engaging and definitely a great way to keep the kids entertained and healthy!
keeping the routines varied and fun is an excellent way to cultivate a healthy lifestyle for our children without it becoming a chore. Short and sharp exercises geared toward their interests are a win-win, providing health benefits while keeping them entertained. Thanks for sharing your gems!

Varied routines are a great way to keep things interesting and engaging! It's such an important part of instilling a positive relationship with fitness from a young age, ensuring it doesn't feel like a burden. Quick, interest-focused exercises are a fun way to go. You're most welcome; happy to share some ideas!

Great perspective on keeping fitness interesting! It's awesome to share these ideas and keep the conversation going on how to make wellness enjoyable and sustainable :) Quick interest-focused workouts are a fun way to tick off some exercise without it feeling tedious.

It's all about finding what works for you - quick, interesting workouts are a great way to keep fitness engaging especially with mums who have a busy schedule. What are some of your go-to interest-focused workout activities?

For those of us who are time poor, short but sharp HIIT workouts are a great way to keep fit and only take around 20 minutes! I also love walking outdoors with some nice podcasts. It's a double whammy for mental health and fitness and you can do it anywhere, anytime.

Also a big fan of dance workouts too - get your groove on and learn some new moves, plus there are so many styles out there you're bound to find something fun!

For those of us who are time poor, short but sharp HIIT workouts are a great way to keep fit and only take around 20 minutes! I also love walking outdoors with some nice podcasts. It's a double whammy for mental health and fitness and you can do it anywhere, anytime.

Also a big fan of dance workouts too - get your groove on and learn some new moves, plus there are so many styles out there you're bound to find something fun!
That's a good call on the HIIT workouts - sometimes you just need a quick burst to get the heart rate up! I enjoy variety in my routines, so tend to switch it up often. Lately though, I've been getting into martial arts-inspired workouts - specifically Tai Chi. It's a nice, low impact but engaging exercise that's very peaceful and calming.

I also enjoy functional training exercises, focusing on moves that target multiple muscle groups. Squats, lunges, and planks with some added resistance training using resistance bands really work the entire body. It's efficient and you feel the benefits quickly!

Good to hear you're enjoying Tai Chi; it's a wonderful, accessible low-impact option with lots of mental and physical benefits.

I agree that functional training is incredibly efficient - especially for time-pressed mums! Incorporating resistance bands is a great idea too, adding resistance really amps up the workout without needing fancy equipment.

What other martial arts inspired workouts would you recommend for low impact, but effective, exercise? I'm keen to hear about peaceful, calming workouts that still deliver results!

Good to hear you're enjoying Tai Chi; it's a wonderful, accessible low-impact option with lots of mental and physical benefits.

I agree that functional training is incredibly efficient - especially for time-pressed mums! Incorporating resistance bands is a great idea too, adding resistance really amps up the workout without needing fancy equipment.

What other martial arts inspired workouts would you recommend for low impact, but effective, exercise? I'm keen to hear about peaceful, calming workouts that still deliver results!
Tai chi is actually a fantastic gateway into other similar calming yet engaging martial arts workouts. The slow and deliberate movements are great for stretching and strengthening, and it's fascinating how different stances can have different energies and purposes.

Qi Gong is another excellent low-impact workout with roots in traditional Chinese martial arts. It's all about slow, precise movements and deep breathing, which make for a relaxing yet energising experience. Some forms focus on specific acupuncture points and internal organ health, making it a very holistic exercise.

For something a little more active but still peaceful, I'd also recommend looking into Kundalini yoga. It's a unique form of yoga that often involves slow, circular movements and breathing techniques. The pace is very gentle and intentional, often described as a conversation between the body and soul.

These martial arts-inspired workouts are a lovely way to connect with your body and develop inner peace, while also being physically beneficial!

Tai chi is actually a fantastic gateway into other similar calming yet engaging martial arts workouts. The slow and deliberate movements are great for stretching and strengthening, and it's fascinating how different stances can have different energies and purposes.

Qi Gong is another excellent low-impact workout with roots in traditional Chinese martial arts. It's all about slow, precise movements and deep breathing, which make for a relaxing yet energising experience. Some forms focus on specific acupuncture points and internal organ health, making it a very holistic exercise.

For something a little more active but still peaceful, I'd also recommend looking into Kundalini yoga. It's a unique form of yoga that often involves slow, circular movements and breathing techniques. The pace is very gentle and intentional, often described as a conversation between the body and soul.

These martial arts-inspired workouts are a lovely way to connect with your body and develop inner peace, while also being physically beneficial!
these recommended workouts sound like great finds with their unique health benefits. I'm glad you've discovered them!

I think it's so important to share these options because some people find high-intensity or impactful exercises too intimidating or daunting -- whereas these gentle exercises feel inclusive and soothing.

Have you also come across any other workouts with similar calming vibes?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
these recommended workouts sound like great finds with their unique health benefits. I'm glad you've discovered them!

I think it's so important to share these options because some people find high-intensity or impactful exercises too intimidating or daunting -- whereas these gentle exercises feel inclusive and soothing.

Have you also come across any other workouts with similar calming vibes?
There are Mind-body exercises like Tai Chi and Qi Gong often go hand in hand with meditation and deep breathing exercises, which provide a wonderful mindful aspect to our fitness routines. Focusing on the breath is an excellent way to calm the mind and connect with your body.

I also enjoy restorative yoga, a gentle yoga style that focuses on slowing winding down and relaxing the body. It's all about calming restoration rather than intense stretching or poses. Often using props like blankets and bolsters, it's a cozy and nurturing practice - almost like a hug in a workout!

Some studios also offer 'yin yoga' which is another slow-moving, meditation-focused style involving prolonged periods of relaxation. The paced demands a present and mindful approach, which can be incredibly calming.

These exercises really help to quiet the mind while providing a workout, almost seamlessly blending fitness and wellness.

Those sound like wonderful ways to exercise and calm the mind - especially for mums who have had a busy day!

The focus on breath and slow, gentle movements is such a peaceful way to unwind and relax into a workout. I find it so beneficial especially when winding down before bed - it's a beautiful way to connect with your body and quieten the mind's inner chatter. It's like giving your mind a well-deserved break while also giving your body some exercise!

I'm definitely going to look into these styles of yoga - I love the idea of restorative yoga being like a hug in a workout! And 'yin yoga' sounds like a wonderful, mindful approach to exercise - almost zen-like. It's so great to discover these different styles and the benefits they bring.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu