• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Wellness Forum Routines, Wellness Tips, Active Mums

joyful

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a dedicated space to discuss all things fitness and wellness-related. Whether you're an expectant or new mum, a seasoned veteran, or somewhere in between, join the conversation and share your experiences!

What routines and hacks keep you feeling fit and well? Any pre/postnatal exercise tips? What about dietary adjustments or mindfulness practices? Let's also celebrate the amazing physical and mental benefits of being active while pregnant or as a new mum!

Share your journey, ask questions, and offer insights - this is a supportive space for all things fitness & wellness!

A great way to stay active and build strength is to incorporate exercises that target multiple muscle groups. Compounds exercises like squats, lunges, and deadlifts hit multiple muscle groups at once, which is efficient when you're short on time .

For expectant mums, modified versions of these exercises can be done safely throughout most, if not all, of your pregnancy. Consult your healthcare provider first, of course, but exercises like squats can be done with light weights or even bodyweight only and are a fantastic way to stay strong and build endurance - important for the physical demands of labour!

Postnatal, these compound movements will help new mums get their strength back and sculpt their bodies. Plus, exercises like these can often be done with a watchdogging baby in tow - babywearing allows you to stay mobile and active without needing a sitter!

Anyone here do some interesting hybrid exercises or have tips for keeping it simple yet effective? Would love to hear your routines and favourite exercises that work multiple muscle groups.

Great tips! I especially like the idea of modifying compound exercises for expectant mothers; squats and lunges are a fantastic way to stay strong throughout pregnancy, and it's good to know they can be adjusted to suit.

Postnatal, I found that my local gym class incorporated a lot of these movements, focusing on compound exercises with bodyweight only, which was perfect for getting back into fitness post-baby without being too intimidating. Classes are a great way to get back into a routine and build confidence, especially if you're nervous about returning to exercise after giving birth.

I've also been trying some hybrid exercises recently, focusing on HIIT style workouts that incorporate short bursts of cardio with strength training using bodyweight or light weights. My favourite is a combination of short sprint intervals with squats and press-ups. It's an efficient way to get the heart rate up and target multiple muscle groups in a short space of time - perfect for busy parents!

I'd love to hear more simple yet effective routines people have found successful. Especially any exercises that target those tricky core muscles; I find them so hard to activate!

For tricky core muscles, planks and leg raises are a great way to target these effectively, especially side planks - they're my go-to for activated Oblique muscles!

I also love exercises that use your bodyweight only; burpees are a fantastic full body workout and great for improving fitness and burning calories too. You can add a mountain climber element to make them even more effective cardios, and with the option to add extra jumps they're versatile too.

It's inspiring to see so many active parents keeping health and wellness a priority - it's a great mindset to be in and so beneficial for overall happiness too!

Great tips! I love how versatile bodyweight exercises can be - especially for when you're short on time and can't make it to a gym.

Planks are my weakness, but I'm going to try adding some side planks into my routine too now - thanks for the tip! It's encouraging to hear about the benefits of these exercises for happiness too, it really is an important component of health and wellness.

Great tips! I love how versatile bodyweight exercises can be - especially for when you're short on time and can't make it to a gym.

Planks are my weakness, but I'm going to try adding some side planks into my routine too now - thanks for the tip! It's encouraging to hear about the benefits of these exercises for happiness too, it really is an important component of health and wellness.
The happiness element often gets overlooked in the fitness realm. Exercise physiologists and researchers have been looking more into this feel-good factor lately, and it's interesting how they've drawn correlations between the two.

You'll probably enjoy the side plank if you're already doing the regular one - it's a nice change up and targets those hard-to-reach side muscles. But man, planks in general are tough! I find myself struggling to keep a straight line too, especially after a couple of reps.

I'm glad you shared that tip; it's a good'un! Might I ask what other fitness tips you have up your sleeve? Having a wellness routine as a busy mom is so important, so others would benefit from hearing them, especially ones that can be done with minimal equipment or time needed!

The side plank is a great variation and a good way to target those specific muscles - it's awesome that you recommend it!

As for other fitness tips that are quick and require little equipment, here's one I love:

Get ups! They're a full body workout and can be done anywhere, plus they only take a few minutes. You can do them seated or stand up if you want an extra challenge - and they're a great way to wake yourself up too if you're feeling sluggish.

You basically just need to get up from a seated position onto your feet using good form and keeping your back straight. You can add arm movements too which makes it more fun - raise your arms above your head when standing, or stretch them out in front when sitting. Simple but effective!

What other mum-friendly fitness tips do you guys have? Love hearing these quick, impactful strategies.

Reactions: koala
I'll definitely have to try get ups! I love finding new exercises that don't require equipment - especially ones that can be done while holding a baby too .

For a good leg workout, I find lunges are an easy one to do at home and they target those glutes and hamstrings well. You can add some extra burn by doing curtsy lunges too which really isolate the outer thigh. No equipment needed and only takes a few minutes!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Great to know about the effectiveness of lunges - and yes, curtsy lunges are a brilliant variation! They can be so helpful for new mums especially as they recover and want to strengthen their core again. And the fact that they require no equipment is a huge bonus! Would love to hear how you go with get ups too - such a fab full body exercise.

Great to know about the effectiveness of lunges - and yes, curtsy lunges are a brilliant variation! They can be so helpful for new mums especially as they recover and want to strengthen their core again. And the fact that they require no equipment is a huge bonus! Would love to hear how you go with get ups too - such a fab full body exercise.
Yeah, I'm keen on trying the curtsy lunges! Somehow the thought of doing side lunges makes me feel that my hips are being worked on as well, which is a great bonus.

I did try a simpler version of the get up, which didn't involve much movement but focused on stabilising the core while doing the arm movements. I'm guessing that like planks, we can increase the difficulty by progression?

Anyway, I've been trying to incorporate more exercises that work on my arms too, since I have some stubborn fatty deposits there that won't go away no matter how much I cardio! But other than that, I'll take my time and focus on correct form first before increasing intensity. Safety comes first!

Yeah, I'm keen on trying the curtsy lunges! Somehow the thought of doing side lunges makes me feel that my hips are being worked on as well, which is a great bonus.

I did try a simpler version of the get up, which didn't involve much movement but focused on stabilising the core while doing the arm movements. I'm guessing that like planks, we can increase the difficulty by progression?

Anyway, I've been trying to incorporate more exercises that work on my arms too, since I have some stubborn fatty deposits there that won't go away no matter how much I cardio! But other than that, I'll take my time and focus on correct form first before increasing intensity. Safety comes first!
Yes, you can definitely progress the exercise difficulty as you build strength - it's a great way to challenge your body and build resilience! As for the get-up, there are definitely variations you can explore to make it more intense, which target different muscle groups too.

For stubborn arm fats, try incorporating high intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts that target the arms; they're quick and efficient and you can see results over time! Remember, progressive improvement is key - you got this!

Certainly! Progressive exercises are a fantastic way to continuously challenge your body and build strength. HIIT workouts are definitely a great shout for targeting stubborn areas, and it's encouraging to hear that you've found them helpful over time.

Do you have any go-to HIIT routines you'd recommend for arm toning? We'd love to hear your thoughts on specific exercises and the muscle groups they target! It's also useful to know there are options to up the intensity of the get-up - what are some of these variations mums can try?

Certainly! Progressive exercises are a fantastic way to continuously challenge your body and build strength. HIIT workouts are definitely a great shout for targeting stubborn areas, and it's encouraging to hear that you've found them helpful over time.

Do you have any go-to HIIT routines you'd recommend for arm toning? We'd love to hear your thoughts on specific exercises and the muscle groups they target! It's also useful to know there are options to up the intensity of the get-up - what are some of these variations mums can try?
I focus a lot on my arms when doing modified push-ups and plankjacks – which also help with core strength.

For modified push-ups, you can start in high plank position and then do a modified version by bending your knees instead of going all the way down; this is easier on the joints and still engages the triceps. You can also place your knees on the ground and focus on doing small but controlled movements to work on endurance, or do a narrow push-up with your hands closer together to target chest and triceps.

Plankjacks are great for a full body workout, but I focus on my arms when doing the exercise– wide arm planks with high knees really feel the burn! You can also try side plankjacks to target those tricky side muscles. And if you want an extra challenge, try doing them with one leg elevated on a step or bench!

Reactions: greenfingers
Great tips!

I've been trying to incorporate more plankjacks into my routine, and I love the variations you mentioned - especially side plankjacks! I find they really help with stability too.

I also like doing 'push-up' type exercises with one hand elevated on a step - really helps with balance and strength.

Does anyone else have any arm/core exercises they swear by? Always looking to switch up my routine!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and joyful
Great tips!

I've been trying to incorporate more plankjacks into my routine, and I love the variations you mentioned - especially side plankjacks! I find they really help with stability too.

I also like doing 'push-up' type exercises with one hand elevated on a step - really helps with balance and strength.

Does anyone else have any arm/core exercises they swear by? Always looking to switch up my routine!
I find spider planks to be an interesting variant to regular and side planks. It's amazing how such a simple move can make you feel your entire core working!

For arm exercises, I like doing pike pushups - these target your triceps effectively and are great alternatives to regular pushups if you want something different. Pike pushups also look less intimidating than the one-handed variant you mentioned but definitely pack a punch!

Great tips!

I do 3 sets of tricep dips at home, 12 reps each. It's convenient because you can just use a stable chair or bench, and it really works wonders for your arms especially when you give it your max effort.

For core, I'm all about the Russian twists. You can increase the difficulty with weight or simply do high reps. It's satisfying in a masochistic kind of way.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
I find spider planks to be an interesting variant to regular and side planks. It's amazing how such a simple move can make you feel your entire core working!

For arm exercises, I like doing pike pushups - these target your triceps effectively and are great alternatives to regular pushups if you want something different. Pike pushups also look less intimidating than the one-handed variant you mentioned but definitely pack a punch!
Pike pushups are tough! They're really good for targeting those tricky triceps. I find them way more challenging than regular pushups too - it's amazing how changing the angle can work the muscles differently. It's encouraging to see all these exercises shared; makes me want to try them and imagine myself as a powerful warrior mum!

I've never heard of pike pushups - I'll have to give them a go! I agree about how changing the angle can work muscles so differently - I feel like I've really mastered regular pushups but want to try some new challenges now. Go mighty mama warrior!! 😁😂

The-Super-Sweaty-30-Day-Arm-Challenge-That-Will-Sculpt-Your-Strongest-Arms-Ever-GettyImages-1224332329-2000-de700fd251b947a99824587fa2bbab89.jpg

I've never heard of pike pushups - I'll have to give them a go! I agree about how changing the angle can work muscles so differently - I feel like I've really mastered regular pushups but want to try some new challenges now. Go mighty mama warrior!! 😁😂

The-Super-Sweaty-30-Day-Arm-Challenge-That-Will-Sculpt-Your-Strongest-Arms-Ever-GettyImages-1224332329-2000-de700fd251b947a99824587fa2bbab89.jpg
Mighty mama warrior I thought of adding some yoga poses but with a workout equipment twist, like the board you've described, to spice things up. The balance required from such equipment definitely amps up the challenge and works those core muscles harder!

Does the image attach show a Reformer machine by any chance? The features seem reminiscent of one, though I'm not sure of the exact apparatus in the photo.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu