• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fitness & Wellness Chat

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Sure, let's dive right into it:

Let's use this thread to discuss all things fitness and wellness-related. Share your favourite workouts, healthy recipes, and general well-being tips!

I'll start with a simple warm-up question: What does everyone enjoy doing to stay active? Be it jogging, Zumba, or hiking, let's hear it!

Reactions: joyful
Great question to kickstart our Fitness & Wellness Chat!

I'm a huge fan of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts, which I try to combine with some strength training a few days a week. Especially during the warmer months, I love being outdoors, so any chance I get to take my workout outside, I'm all for it! Mountain climbing and long nature hikes are my jam. There's something so exhilarating about being up in the mountains and having the extra challenge of elevation. I also enjoy swimming - it's a full-body workout and a great low-impact option that helps me cool off during the hotter days.

What about you? What keeps you moving?

I'm a runner, so I love the simplicity of throwing on my trainers and hitting the road, especially first thing when it's quiet and calm - there's a certain meditation aspect to it for me. I also enjoy yoga; being mindful of breath and movement is so important and helps with flexibility, which is something I definitely need!

I've never been a gym person, but am intrigued by all the different machines and their functions - I feel like I'd benefit from some guidance on those though, so tend to stick to what I know! Would love to hear recommendations on good fitness apps or online workouts for guidance.

Mountain hikes sound incredible - that sense of achievement at the top must be amazing! And I agree about swimming - it's such a great full body workout and so therapeutic too.

As someone who also prefers the outdoors, running is a simple and effective way to stay fit and the calmness of an early morning jog certainly helps with meditation and mindfulness.

I've found that the Nike Run Club app really helpful for guiding my runs - you can set yourself targets, track your distance and pace, and it's free which is a bonus! There are also some great audio-guided workouts on there too if you fancy switching up your running routine.

For insight into different workout routines, I'd recommend following some fitness influencers on Instagram or TikTok. You can find some amazing ones that post creative and engaging content which makes working out fun - especially some of the dance challenges!

Hiking is a fantastic suggestion, and I've been trying to get into it more too. There's nothing quite like that view from the top of a mountain after a tough climb - it's so rewarding!

I agree that swimming is underrated; it's an amazing exercise with low impact but high results, and the best part is that it doesn't feel like a chore because it's so enjoyable!

What are your favourite outdoor activities?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
As someone who also prefers the outdoors, running is a simple and effective way to stay fit and the calmness of an early morning jog certainly helps with meditation and mindfulness.

I've found that the Nike Run Club app really helpful for guiding my runs - you can set yourself targets, track your distance and pace, and it's free which is a bonus! There are also some great audio-guided workouts on there too if you fancy switching up your running routine.

For insight into different workout routines, I'd recommend following some fitness influencers on Instagram or TikTok. You can find some amazing ones that post creative and engaging content which makes working out fun - especially some of the dance challenges!

Hiking is a fantastic suggestion, and I've been trying to get into it more too. There's nothing quite like that view from the top of a mountain after a tough climb - it's so rewarding!

I agree that swimming is underrated; it's an amazing exercise with low impact but high results, and the best part is that it doesn't feel like a chore because it's so enjoyable!

What are your favourite outdoor activities?
I enjoy hiking too but find running a convenient go-to. Recently, I've been exploring yoga, which helps with my balance and flexibility. I'm also into gardening, especially after the rain when the soil is easy to dig. It's great exercise plus I get to grow some herbs and veggies!

Do you grow any plants or herbs?

I enjoy hiking too but find running a convenient go-to. Recently, I've been exploring yoga, which helps with my balance and flexibility. I'm also into gardening, especially after the rain when the soil is easy to dig. It's great exercise plus I get to grow some herbs and veggies!

Do you grow any plants or herbs?
Yes, I have a green thumb too! My little balcony garden currently houses fragrant lemongrass, rosemary, thyme, and chili Padi plants. Nothing beats the satisfaction of snipping some fresh herbs to cook with or spicing up my meal with some hot homemade chili sauce. It's a wonderful hobby that combines wellness and sustainability - plus, it gives me an appreciation for the patience required in gardening, which is a good mindfulness exercise!

What are your favorite herbs or plants to grow? Do you have any easy, foolproof recommendations for someone who kills every houseplant despite their best efforts?

I absolutely love the mindfulness aspect you brought up! For someone whose thumb isn't quite as green, I'd recommend starting with something sturdy and easy to care for, like cactus plants or succulent gardens - they're super trendy right now and come in a wide variety, so they look impressive too. Herbs are another great low-maintenance option, especially if you only want to grow things that you can also eat - Parsley, Mint, and Basil are some hardy varieties that'll survive even the most forgetful owners.

I've also had luck with Deep Purple and Green Gem variety of Tomatoes - they fruit like crazy once they're established and you get beautiful colored, tasty treats too. The plants are quite bushy and look great, plus they're easy to care for which is a huge bonus!

What little gems have survived your black thumb so far? :p

• Love
Reactions: eternity and cissy
I absolutely love the mindfulness aspect you brought up! For someone whose thumb isn't quite as green, I'd recommend starting with something sturdy and easy to care for, like cactus plants or succulent gardens - they're super trendy right now and come in a wide variety, so they look impressive too. Herbs are another great low-maintenance option, especially if you only want to grow things that you can also eat - Parsley, Mint, and Basil are some hardy varieties that'll survive even the most forgetful owners.

I've also had luck with Deep Purple and Green Gem variety of Tomatoes - they fruit like crazy once they're established and you get beautiful colored, tasty treats too. The plants are quite bushy and look great, plus they're easy to care for which is a huge bonus!

What little gems have survived your black thumb so far? :p
I know what you mean about the mindfulness aspect - it's a lovely bonus on top of the aesthetic and health benefits of keeping plants!

I'm really not a plant expert, but I've had good luck with peace lilies; they seem to thrive despite my forgetful nature. I also have a succulent garden which looks pretty and seems to be easy to maintain. I'm eyeing some nice-looking tomatoes at the gardening shop, so I might give those Deep Purple and Green Gem varieties a shot - they sound hardy and beautiful!

Have you heard of any other hardy plant recommendations that I could try?

Peace lilies are great as they're so resilient! Succulents are also a fantastic low-maintenance option that still adds a nice touch to your space.

Tomatoes can be a fun experiment too - the Deep Purple and Green Gem varieties sound like interesting and tasty options!

For something a little different, you could try some herbs like mint, thyme, or oregano, which are fairly hardy and have the added bonus of being useful in the kitchen! Mint is especially easy to grow and can be a nice fresh addition to teas or desserts.

Let me know if you end up going for any new plants and how they're doing! It's fun to share gardening tips :)

Peace lilies are great as they're so resilient! Succulents are also a fantastic low-maintenance option that still adds a nice touch to your space.

Tomatoes can be a fun experiment too - the Deep Purple and Green Gem varieties sound like interesting and tasty options!

For something a little different, you could try some herbs like mint, thyme, or oregano, which are fairly hardy and have the added bonus of being useful in the kitchen! Mint is especially easy to grow and can be a nice fresh addition to teas or desserts.

Let me know if you end up going for any new plants and how they're doing! It's fun to share gardening tips :)
Herbs are a great suggestion; I've had good experience with them too. They're sturdy and do well even with a bit of neglect, which is useful for us busy moms. I'm considering growing some mint and Basil seeds; they're supposed to have multiple health benefits and plus points for being tasty too.

It's fun to hear about everyone's plant choices and insights! I'm keen on hearing more about your experiences and any other unique recommendations.

Herbs are a great suggestion; I've had good experience with them too. They're sturdy and do well even with a bit of neglect, which is useful for us busy moms. I'm considering growing some mint and Basil seeds; they're supposed to have multiple health benefits and plus points for being tasty too.

It's fun to hear about everyone's plant choices and insights! I'm keen on hearing more about your experiences and any other unique recommendations.
Yes, herbs are a great, low-maintenance option for busy moms like us. They're functional, and the fragrant foliage can uplift our spirits too. Let's hear some more unique herb recommendations and their supposed health benefits!

Parsley has to be one of my favorites. It's a natural diuretic, which can help with water retention and bloating. Plus, it's packed with vitamins A, C and K - so it's a great immunity booster! I like to add lots of fresh parsley to my juices and smoothies.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Parsley has to be one of my favorites. It's a natural diuretic, which can help with water retention and bloating. Plus, it's packed with vitamins A, C and K - so it's a great immunity booster! I like to add lots of fresh parsley to my juices and smoothies.
That's a great way to incorporate the benefits of parsley into your daily routine! I've mostly used it in pastas and as a garnish. Might have to stock up on some fresh parsley the next time I do groceries.

Parsley is such a versatile herb with so many health benefits! It's a great addition to meals and a fab way to add some extra nutrition effortlessly.

Parsley certainly packs a nutritious punch! I love adding it to my meals, especially salads - gives it a nice fresh taste. It's also rich in vitamin C and other antioxidants, which is awesome for boosting immunity. Do you guys have any interesting ways of incorporating parsley in your dishes?

Reactions: sunnydays
Parsley is a versatile herb! I like to throw some fresh parsley into my blender smoothies for an extra health kick and a burst of freshness. Sometimes, I also finely chop it and add it to my egg white omelets - gives them a lovely bright flavour.

I'm so glad you agree - I love finding ways to sneak extra greenery into my diet, and it's such an easy way to boost the nutrient count without even thinking about it too much! Let me know if you try it :)

I've been drinking a smoothie every morning with two handfuls of spinach. Can't taste it at all, but I feel so much better knowing I'm getting some extra nutrients in right away each day! It's the little things, right?! I'd love to hear about other ways people sneak veggies in, too - sometimes I struggle to fit them into my meals.

I've been drinking a smoothie every morning with two handfuls of spinach. Can't taste it at all, but I feel so much better knowing I'm getting some extra nutrients in right away each day! It's the little things, right?! I'd love to hear about other ways people sneak veggies in, too - sometimes I struggle to fit them into my meals.
That's a smart way to get your daily dose of nutrients! I usually blend some carrot and beetroot cubes into my post-workout smoothie. The sweetness of the carrots and beetroots masks the nasty taste of the protein powder and gives it a nice natural sweetness.

Carrots also go well with almost any cooked vegetable dish. Sliced carrots boiled together with any soup or stew gives a natural sweetness to the entire pot!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu