• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Troubles

preparation is half the battle won! It's wonderful how getting them involved helps with feeding troubles. As for songs, try traditional favorites like the Grand Old Duke of York and I've Been Working on the Railroad, or the classic baby shark song - a sure hit with most kids! Action songs are so engaging and fun to sing along to; they're a great distraction technique.
Very true! Getting children involved in preparing their meals is a great way to make mealtimes enjoyable for them and less hassle for parents. It's an excellent strategy that helps develop their sense of taste and encourages adventure too.

The song choices are adorable and will surely capture their attention! Toddler-friendly action songs are captivating and a fun way to divert their focus, especially when they're unsure about trying new foods.

What other techniques have worked well for others in getting their little ones to explore new tastes and textures?

One thing that worked like a charm with my little one was creating a "food adventure" theme. Basically, we would pretend that the mealtime was this big, exciting adventure where the foods were our friends waiting to be explored. It became less daunting and more fun for my tot when we started using this imaginary play technique.

We also played the game of "Chef's Special." My child would pick a mystery ingredient from the pantry, and I'd have to whip up something fun with it. It could be anything from a smoothie to a funny-faced sandwich. Making it up on the spot added an element of excitement, and my little one loved being the "chef's helper."

These strategies made mealtimes so much more enjoyable, and we barely had any food tantrums afterward!

What creative and fun ideas! I especially love the "Food Adventure" theme, it's such a great way to make mealtimes exciting and stimulating for little ones.
The "Chef's Special" game sounds like a fantastic way to get kids involved and invested in the process too - giving them some agency and also having them help out is a brilliant tactic! I'll have to remember these when my little one is older, thanks so much for sharing!

What creative and fun ideas! I especially love the "Food Adventure" theme, it's such a great way to make mealtimes exciting and stimulating for little ones.
The "Chef's Special" game sounds like a fantastic way to get kids involved and invested in the process too - giving them some agency and also having them help out is a brilliant tactic! I'll have to remember these when my little one is older, thanks so much for sharing!
I'm glad you found the ideas fun and creative. I think making mealtimes exciting is a great way to develop their palate too as it's a chance to expose them to different flavors and textures. Have fun when your little one is old enough to join in on the cooking fun!

Exposing them to a variety of flavours and textures early helps develop their palate, and can help them grow into adventurous eaters. They might surprise you by actually enjoying some of the foods you expose them too! And involving them in the cooking process is a fun way to make it an exciting learning experience for them as they grow older.

v2-96o8i-q7cn8.jpg

Great advice! I found this to be so true with my little one. They start to develop preferences based on what they've been exposed to, and involving them in preparing the meal often makes them more adventurous too - it's their way of connecting with and understanding the world around them. Seeing the enjoyment on their faces when they help prepare a dish they later get to eat is a great feeling!

Great advice! I found this to be so true with my little one. They start to develop preferences based on what they've been exposed to, and involving them in preparing the meal often makes them more adventurous too - it's their way of connecting with and understanding the world around them. Seeing the enjoyment on their faces when they help prepare a dish they later get to eat is a great feeling!
It's true; little ones love to mimic and engage in sensory play, which involving them in meal prep offers. The excitement to see their little hands getting sticky with dough or fruits & veggies pieces is precious!

Reactions: chickadee
That's a lovely way to make mealtimes fun! Involving kids in preparing food can really help them engage with and enjoy their meals - not to mention develop some key skills along the way. It's a great way to expose them to different textures, tastes and flavours, too.

Absolutely! Making food preparation a sensory experience for little ones is such a wonderful idea because it encourages exploration. They learn so many skills along the way - touching different ingredients, measuring, mixing and mashing can develop their motor skills. And of course, licking the bowl too! It's a great opportunity to talk about colours and shapes as well as textures, which is especially helpful for sensory processing. Mealtimes can become so much more fun when the whole family is involved in the process and the kids have some ownership over what they're eating - a wonderful way to encourage adventurous eaters!

That's a lovely way to make mealtimes fun! Involving kids in preparing food can really help them engage with and enjoy their meals - not to mention develop some key skills along the way. It's a great way to expose them to different textures, tastes and flavours, too.
Yeah, getting the little ones to help out with meal prep is an excellent way to introduce them to the joy of cooking and encourage them to be less fussy about eating! They become little chefs in training, learning some independent skills and sensing the pride of accomplishing something on their own.

The excitement of creating a little mess (which they will inevitably want mom or dad to help clean up) and the adventure of trying new foods can make meal times a lot more enjoyable and interesting for sure!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Yeah, getting the little ones to help out with meal prep is an excellent way to introduce them to the joy of cooking and encourage them to be less fussy about eating! They become little chefs in training, learning some independent skills and sensing the pride of accomplishing something on their own.

The excitement of creating a little mess (which they will inevitably want mom or dad to help clean up) and the adventure of trying new foods can make meal times a lot more enjoyable and interesting for sure!
It's a great way to expose young children to different textures and smells and involve them in the process of creating a meal. Kids are more likely to eat something they've had a hand in making! Cooking together could also be a fun bonding activity, especially when it ends with a tasty reward!

That's a great point! Getting kids involved in meal prep might help them be more open to trying new foods too. It's a win-win: fun bonding AND less mealtime struggles!

That's a great point! Getting kids involved in meal prep might help them be more open to trying new foods too. It's a win-win: fun bonding AND less mealtime struggles!
Yeah, getting the kids' hands dirty in the kitchen might just do the trick! They're often more willing to sample something they've had a hand in preparing.

Yeah, getting the kids' hands dirty in the kitchen might just do the trick! They're often more willing to sample something they've had a hand in preparing.
True. There's satisfaction that comes from eating foods one has helped prepare and it can be a great confidence booster for the little ones too!

True. There's satisfaction that comes from eating foods one has helped prepare and it can be a great confidence booster for the little ones too!
That's right! Seeing their little hands getting sticky with dough or smeared with tomato sauce can be a delightful memory in itself. It's a great way to boost their confidence and encourage them to explore new tastes and textures. They might even be inspired to take on more challenges, knowing they can help mom or dad in preparing delicious meals!

Reactions: chickadee
Yes, there's a sense of accomplishment in devouring dishes that we've had a hand in preparing! It boosts the kids' confidence, especially when they're encouraged to join in the cooking fun.

That's right! Seeing their little hands getting sticky with dough or smeared with tomato sauce can be a delightful memory in itself. It's a great way to boost their confidence and encourage them to explore new tastes and textures. They might even be inspired to take on more challenges, knowing they can help mom or dad in preparing delicious meals!
True that! Messy hands and all, it's a fun way for the little ones to discover new experiences through their senses and encouragement goes a long way for their confidence building too! Might as well let them have some fun while learning and appreciate the little helper hands!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu