• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Troubles

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm reaching out because my baby has been having some issues with feeding. I've tried all the tricks I know, and nothing seems to work! I hope to get some advice from other moms who've dealt with something similar.

My LO struggles a lot with swallowing and often chokes on thin feeds. We've tried thickening them, but that doesn't seem to help much; he still manages to cough and splutter quite frequently. This issue has caused many a night awake comfort feeding 😞.

Any tips on how to tackle this would be great! I'm at my wit's end.

Have you spoken to a healthcare professional about this yet? I'd definitely recommend getting a professional assessment because choking is not something to ignore, and they may have some recommendations or interventions that could help your little one.

In the meantime, have you tried different feeding positions? Sometimes a change of position can help keep things flowing down the right way. Sitting upright, or almost in an upright position can help with gravity and prevent some of the spluttering.

Also, have you thought about using feeders for thicker fluids? The ones that are more suitable for babies who drink thicker substances have slower flow rates that might help your LO learn to manage the flow better and not choke. They're also worth trying if you suspect your baby might benefit from thinner feeds because the nipple holes are smaller and can dispense milk at a slower rate - which might help with the swallowing issue.

Make sure you rule out any potential health concerns first, but these practical feeding changes could provide some relief while you seek professional advice!

Great suggestions! We've tried different positions and it does help when she sits upright. We'll definitely try the feeders too - we've been using the same ones since birth so it's a good idea to switch it up.

I have an appointment scheduled with the pediatrician next week but will move it ahead if I can get one earlier. I agree that choking is something to take seriously and want to ensure everything's okay.

Great suggestions! We've tried different positions and it does help when she sits upright. We'll definitely try the feeders too - we've been using the same ones since birth so it's a good idea to switch it up.

I have an appointment scheduled with the pediatrician next week but will move it ahead if I can get one earlier. I agree that choking is something to take seriously and want to ensure everything's okay.
It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to feeding and possible choking hazards. Good on you for being proactive and seeking an earlier appointment with the pediatrician. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, but it's a good idea to have a professional assess your baby's feeding difficulties. Better to get some peace of mind!

Do share the outcomes of your visit; I'm sure other parents would find the insights useful. Some may have experienced something similar and benefit from any tips or recommendations resulting from your check-up.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to feeding and possible choking hazards. Good on you for being proactive and seeking an earlier appointment with the pediatrician. Hopefully, it's nothing serious, but it's a good idea to have a professional assess your baby's feeding difficulties. Better to get some peace of mind!

Do share the outcomes of your visit; I'm sure other parents would find the insights useful. Some may have experienced something similar and benefit from any tips or recommendations resulting from your check-up.
Sure thing, I'll update if there's anything worthwhile sharing.

Thanks so much - I'm keen to hear your advice!

My eight-month-old has never been a great eater, but it's getting worse instead of better. He seems to hate being confined to his high chair and screams like we're torturing him the moment we strap him in . He also spits out most foods these days - especially anything solid - and only really feeds well when he's walking around and entertained, which doesn't seem right to me.

I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrition because he won't eat much, and then his sleep suffers too which creates a whole other set of problems! Any tips for making meal times more enjoyable for him would be so helpful. I feel like we're in a vicious cycle at the moment!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Thanks so much - I'm keen to hear your advice!

My eight-month-old has never been a great eater, but it's getting worse instead of better. He seems to hate being confined to his high chair and screams like we're torturing him the moment we strap him in . He also spits out most foods these days - especially anything solid - and only really feeds well when he's walking around and entertained, which doesn't seem right to me.

I'm worried he's not getting enough nutrition because he won't eat much, and then his sleep suffers too which creates a whole other set of problems! Any tips for making meal times more enjoyable for him would be so helpful. I feel like we're in a vicious cycle at the moment!
One thing that might help is to take a break from confining him in the high chair. Babies have a short attention span, and it might be a sensory overload for him to be confined in one spot, especially if he's an active baby who prefers exploration. allow him to roam freely (supervised, of course!) and engage in other activities besides eating, like crawling or playing with his toys, while you feed him small morsels of food. You could also try using a variety of feeding utensils and plates with interesting colors and shapes to attract his attention and make meal times more fun and engaging.

Remember that it's normal for babies to respond to novel foods by first learning how they feel, smell, and taste before actually putting them into their mouths. Don't despair, as this phase shall also pass!

Good point! I'll let him roam around with some toys and see how that goes. It's only been two days of struggle so I'm not worried yet, but I want to nip it in the bud! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks so much, yes definitely better safe than sorry! I think she's going to be a good eater, fingers crossed!
It sure sounds like you have a little foodie in the making! It's a good idea to trust your gut and seek advice when needed. All the best with your little one's culinary adventures!

It sure sounds like you have a little foodie in the making! It's a good idea to trust your gut and seek advice when needed. All the best with your little one's culinary adventures!
Doesn't sound like I'll be seeing eye-to-eye with this child's parent then. Could turn out to be quite the fussy eater if things don't improve. Sounds more like an adventure for the parent than the kid.

Doesn't sound like I'll be seeing eye-to-eye with this child's parent then. Could turn out to be quite the fussy eater if things don't improve. Sounds more like an adventure for the parent than the kid.
Feeding toddlers can sometimes be a challenge, especially when they become increasingly mobile and curious, often more interested in exploring their environment than sitting down for a meal. It definitely requires some creativity and persistence on the part of the caregivers!

Toddlers are famously unpredictable; one day they will eat nothing but cucumbers and the next, they want only cheese! It's certainly a test of patience when your little one won't sit down for a meal, especially if you've spent time preparing balanced meals for them.

The best advice I received as a parent was to not stress about the amount of food my child eats during this stage of life. Toddlers will often eat less when they are more mobile and interested in exploring; it's a normal stage of development!

Here are some tips that might make feeding time a little easier:

1. Offer small, nutritious snacks often. Toddlers usually prefer Grazing over proper meals. Keep healthy, bite-sized treats within reach, like washed veggies and fruits.

2. Involve them in meal prep: Toddlers love to imitate adults, so give them simple tasks like stirring or blotting food with paper towels. It engages their curiosity and makes mealtime less daunting.

3. Offer a variety of foods, even if it seems like your child eats very little. exposing them to different textures and flavours will help develop their palate and encourage a healthier relationship with food.

4. Make mealtimes engaging: Use colourful plates or utensils, sing songs, or create a little ritual by setting up a cozy spot for meals - anything to capture their attention!

5. Don't force feed or bribe: It can cause unnecessary stress and negative associations with food. Offer new foods repeatedly, without pressure, and let your child explore them at their pace.

6. Keep a feeding journal. It can help you identify patterns and ensure your toddler gets a balanced diet over time. You'll notice preferences and can plan meals accordingly.

Remember, this stage will pass, and the key is to remain consistent and creative in your approach!

That's some great advice!

It's so easy to get stressed when preparing meals feels like a waste of time because our toddlers won't eat, especially when we're tired and hungry ourselves!

I love the idea of keeping a feeding journal; it's such a simple yet effective way to stay on track and understand our little one's patterns.

The tip about involving them in meal prep is great too - giving them some responsibility and keeping them close by while we cook could definitely help! Also, sing-alongs at mealtime are always fun, and might just keep their attention long enough for a few bites!

Thanks for the helpful tips!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom and eternity
I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful.

It's definitely a challenge some days, especially when tired and needing the meal prep process to be efficient and stress-free! Keeping a journal is a wonderful way to note hunger patterns and understand what works best for keeping everyone fed and happy - plus, it can help us remember what our little ones enjoyed eating when we're stuck for ideas.

Involving toddlers in the preparation can make it fun - giving them simple tasks like rinsing veggies or mixing ingredients can keep them engaged and willing to stick around! And yes, a good song always helps too, it might even encourage some enthusiastic nibbling! 😊

I'm glad you found the suggestions helpful.

It's definitely a challenge some days, especially when tired and needing the meal prep process to be efficient and stress-free! Keeping a journal is a wonderful way to note hunger patterns and understand what works best for keeping everyone fed and happy - plus, it can help us remember what our little ones enjoyed eating when we're stuck for ideas.

Involving toddlers in the preparation can make it fun - giving them simple tasks like rinsing veggies or mixing ingredients can keep them engaged and willing to stick around! And yes, a good song always helps too, it might even encourage some enthusiastic nibbling! 😊
It's true that getting our tot involved in preparing his meals has made the whole experience more enjoyable and easier because he is more willing to eat what he had helped to make. Plus, it's a good distraction to keep him occupied while mama cooks! Teaching him to rinse vegetables must have been such a fun lesson too. He'll definitely remember the experience and might even request to help out more often :) Do share any kid-friendly song recommendations; they are a mom's greatest weapon for any tough situation!

preparation is half the battle won! It's wonderful how getting them involved helps with feeding troubles. As for songs, try traditional favorites like the Grand Old Duke of York and I've Been Working on the Railroad, or the classic baby shark song - a sure hit with most kids! Action songs are so engaging and fun to sing along to; they're a great distraction technique.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu