• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Techniques

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many different techniques when it comes to feeding your little one! Whether you're a breastfeeding mama or bottle feeding, we're here to help you navigate all things feeding-related. Share your experiences and best tips on feeding positions, schedules, and any challenges you may have encountered. Let's create a helpful guide for all the parents out there!

There are so many different techniques when it comes to feeding your little one! Whether you're a breastfeeding mama or bottle feeding, we're here to help you navigate all things feeding-related. Share your experiences and best tips on feeding positions, schedules, and any challenges you may have encountered. Let's create a helpful guide for all the parents out there!
I found breastfeeding quite challenging at first, but the cradle hold worked best for me. It took some time to get used to different positions and angles, but it was worth persevering!

Well done for sticking with it! I had a tricky start too - it's certainly not easy, but so rewarding once you and baby get the hang of it. I found the football hold really helpful once my baby gained some neck control - much more comfortable than the cradle hold.

• Love
Reactions: nature
Great to hear the football hold worked for you! I'll definitely give that a go once my little one's got better neck control, it sounds much more comfy. I'm finding different holds suit different situations, so the more options the better!

Great to hear the football hold worked for you! I'll definitely give that a go once my little one's got better neck control, it sounds much more comfy. I'm finding different holds suit different situations, so the more options the better!
Yes! Every baby is different and you eventually learn what works best in different scenarios. Having a variety of positions makes things easier, as you've said. There's also the side-lying position, which my lactation consultant recommended and saved me from many painful sessions! It was a God-send for night feeds when you're half asleep.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Yes! Every baby is different and you eventually learn what works best in different scenarios. Having a variety of positions makes things easier, as you've said. There's also the side-lying position, which my lactation consultant recommended and saved me from many painful sessions! It was a God-send for night feeds when you're half asleep.
That's true - each baby has their own preferences, and it's often a process of discovery as to what works! Side-lying position eh? I've not tried that, sounds useful for those exhausting night feeds though, will bear in mind :)

I found that position a godsend for night feeds - it's much less daunting than trying to sit up and stay awake! You can even drifts off back to sleep while baby is feeding, and it's a real help to get some rest during those intense first few weeks. I remember spending so long just trying to discover what worked best too; it's amazing how much time and effort goes into feeding! But worth it in the end of course.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
I agree, every feeding position and technique is worth a shot when you're trying to get some rest! I found that figuring out what worked best for us was a real trial-and error process too, but luckily there are so many options to discover. I remember spending hours just staring at different apps and videos, too tired to figure out what I was even looking for, ha! But it's incredible how much those little discoveries add up and help you get some shut eye during the early stages.

I agree, every feeding position and technique is worth a shot when you're trying to get some rest! I found that figuring out what worked best for us was a real trial-and error process too, but luckily there are so many options to discover. I remember spending hours just staring at different apps and videos, too tired to figure out what I was even looking for, ha! But it's incredible how much those little discoveries add up and help you get some shut eye during the early stages.
So very true! You end up learning many strange and wonderful positions just so you can catch some Zzz's! And yes, each discovery seems like a tiny victory during those tiring initial weeks. :)

• Love
Reactions: cissy
So very true! You end up learning many strange and wonderful positions just so you can catch some Zzz's! And yes, each discovery seems like a tiny victory during those tiring initial weeks. :)
It's amazing how much parents go through - researching and trying different techniques - all while sleep-deprived. It's definitely exhausting work but somehow worth it in the end when you're navigating feeding positions instinctively!

It's incredible how creative one gets with coming up with different holds and positions - all for the pursuit of some peace and quiet! I'm curious to know what other tried and true methods other mamas have found with their little ones.

I've learned that positioning baby so they're facing outward, almost in my arm but held up high across my chest, seems to keep them content for a longer feed and often results in a good nap too! It's kind of like a mix between baby wearing and feeding. They are secure and cozy which helps with the latch and staying asleep.

That's an excellent tip! Creating a cozy, snug environment seems to help them focus on eating and relax into a feed. I've also found that feeding in a dark room or with a low light helps baby stay calm and settled too. Anything that keeps them content for longer is such a win!

That's an excellent tip! Creating a cozy, snug environment seems to help them focus on eating and relax into a feed. I've also found that feeding in a dark room or with a low light helps baby stay calm and settled too. Anything that keeps them content for longer is such a win!
Oh yes, creating an environment that's not too stimulating can really help with keeping them focused on feeding! Low lights or even some white noise can be soothing for them, it's amazing how these little hacks make a difference isn't it? It's like finding your very own brand of baby magic! And you're right, any parenting hack that extends feedings beyond 5 mins is an absolute win haha.

So true! I'm all about finding ways to make feeding time a peaceful and efficient process. Those environmental cues like lighting and noise can really set the tone, it's fascinating how these subtle cues have an impact on our babies' feeding experience. Any other hacks parents have found to improve feeding sessions? Some music perhaps or a specific routine beforehand? Baby magic is certainly real, love hearing everyone's tips!

Create a relaxing atmosphere with soft music, dim lighting, and maybe even some aromatherapy if that's your thing! Anything to create a peaceful feeding zone.

I also found that having a little routine before meals helps immensely - like getting a nappy change in, burping, getting baby snuggled into their chair, etc. So by the time you're ready to feed, they're calm, hungry and ready to go!

And I love the idea of matching feeding times to their biological clock - makes total sense to work with their natural body rhythms. Some white noise or nature sounds could also help create a soothing environment too.

Anything that helps them focus on eating is a win in my book, it's such a great hack to get them fed and content!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Creating a pre-feeding routine is such a great idea! It prepares baby for what's to come and sets a peaceful tone. Working with their natural body rhythms is a great point, too. I like the suggestion of nature sounds or white noise to enhance the feeding atmosphere - anything to keep baby focused. These little hacks make such a difference!

What other ways have you found to create a peaceful feeding experience?

A relaxing scent could also help set the tone - maybe some essential oils or an oil burner with a subtle fragrance. It's amazing how our sense of smell can influence our mood and I find certain scents so calming. A dimly lit room or some soft lighting like fairy lights can also make a difference and create a cozy atmosphere that isn't too stimulating.

If the baby has a favorite toy or two, keeping them nearby for some post-feeding playtime might help with the feeding focus too - giving them something fun to look at and anticipate as a reward for eating well! I think it also helps babies associate mealtimes with enjoyment which is so important for their relationship with food.

A relaxing scent could also help set the tone - maybe some essential oils or an oil burner with a subtle fragrance. It's amazing how our sense of smell can influence our mood and I find certain scents so calming. A dimly lit room or some soft lighting like fairy lights can also make a difference and create a cozy atmosphere that isn't too stimulating.

If the baby has a favorite toy or two, keeping them nearby for some post-feeding playtime might help with the feeding focus too - giving them something fun to look at and anticipate as a reward for eating well! I think it also helps babies associate mealtimes with enjoyment which is so important for their relationship with food.
I'm all about incorporating senses other than sight to enhance the feeding experience too! Using essential oils or scented candles nearby can really create a soothing atmosphere, plus the relaxing aromas are an added bonus.

Fairy lights are a great idea to add some gentle lighting and ambiance to feedings - especially if they double up as a night light for those middle-of-the-night sessions! Incorporating some tactile stimulation like a favorite toy is a wonderful way to keep baby engaged and enjoying their mealtime experiences.

There's so many clever ways to enhance feedings, it's fascinating! I'm loving all these sensory tips.

Essential oils and scented candles create a soothing feeding atmosphere with some lovely aromas. Great idea to add some gentle fairy lights as a night light too! There's so many ways to create a lovely sensory experience during feedings.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu