• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding struggles and triumphs

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It can be such a relief to share experiences of feeding struggles and triumphs with others.

As babies start on their feeding journey, there can be so many unknowns, challenges and worries - and often we're tired and emotional too! Sharing our stories and hearing from others really helps us realise we aren't alone. Whether it's the struggle to get a good latch, concerns about low milk supply or feeling anxious about weaning, this is the place to seek advice and share our stories.

I'll go first! When my baby was 3 weeks old I noticed she seemed hungrier than usual and wasn't content after feeds. I wondered if my milk supply had dipped. I expressed and offered her a bottle of pumped milk - she took it eagerly which confirmed my supply had dropped. I felt so upset and worried - but then decided to try some lactation cookies which had worked for me previously. Within days my supply was back up and baby was satisfied again - such a relief!

Now, over 6 months later, we're still breastfeeding and it's going really well. Those tough times seem distant now - but I remember them well and know how hard they felt at the time. I'm looking forward to hearing your stories too and sharing our experiences.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
What a great idea for a thread! It's so helpful to hear others' journeys and realize we're not alone. I can definitely relate to those emotional, tired moments of worry!

My struggle was at the beginning of my son's life - he was born 6 weeks early and spent some time in NICU. He was too weak to feed and I felt utterly helpless. I couldn't hold him or try skin-to-skin to help him gain strength as the nurses needed to do their work. It was so hard not being able to do anything to comfort him!

The first few weeks at home were a blur of feeding attempts every 3 hours around the clock. He'd get tired and fall asleep mid-feed, or sometimes he'd scream the house down no matter what we did. I tried all the tricks - change of scenery, different holders, warm baths, you name it! It felt like such a mountain to climb but slowly, slowly things got better and feeds became more effective.

We're at 8 months now and he's still breastfeeding and also enjoying solids. I'm so glad I stuck with it - those tough times really tested me but the experience has made me determined to help other mums going through similar struggles. Knowing we're not alone is half the battle!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
What a great idea for a thread! It's so helpful to hear others' journeys and realize we're not alone. I can definitely relate to those emotional, tired moments of worry!

My struggle was at the beginning of my son's life - he was born 6 weeks early and spent some time in NICU. He was too weak to feed and I felt utterly helpless. I couldn't hold him or try skin-to-skin to help him gain strength as the nurses needed to do their work. It was so hard not being able to do anything to comfort him!

The first few weeks at home were a blur of feeding attempts every 3 hours around the clock. He'd get tired and fall asleep mid-feed, or sometimes he'd scream the house down no matter what we did. I tried all the tricks - change of scenery, different holders, warm baths, you name it! It felt like such a mountain to climb but slowly, slowly things got better and feeds became more effective.

We're at 8 months now and he's still breastfeeding and also enjoying solids. I'm so glad I stuck with it - those tough times really tested me but the experience has made me determined to help other mums going through similar struggles. Knowing we're not alone is half the battle!
It's heartwarming to hear how your determination and perseverance paid off. The first few weeks are a blur of feedings, and it's encouraging to witness your son's progress. Nicely done, mom!

As they say, hindsight is 20/20; those challenging episodes become distant memories over time, but they shape us and our interactions with others going through similar situations. Sharing our stories helps us realize we've overcome challenges and have valuable insights to offer new parents. It's reassuring for everyone involved!

Your story is a testament to how far your son has come, and it's an encouragement to others going through feeding struggles. It's true that the struggles we face as parents shape us and our perspective. We gain valuable insights and experiences that can help other parents going through similar challenges. Well done for sharing your experience - it's a great reminder that perseverance pays off!

Your story is a testament to how far your son has come, and it's an encouragement to others going through feeding struggles. It's true that the struggles we face as parents shape us and our perspective. We gain valuable insights and experiences that can help other parents going through similar challenges. Well done for sharing your experience - it's a great reminder that perseverance pays off!
You're welcome; feel free to share more stories here. There are probably parents out there who could benefit from the lessons you've learned along the way, myself included. It's a joy and a relief to know that many feeding struggles can be overcome.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
I'll keep sharing then! My son is a picky eater and has sensory processing difficulties, so mealtimes with him have always been... interesting. But over the years I've learned some tips and tricks to help make it easier - and even fun!

For example, I started letting him pick out his own snacks and meals from the grocery store. He's much more inclined to eat something he's had a hand in selecting, especially if it's something new or with a cool logo. And offering him a variety of dips - like hummus, sour cream, salsa, you name it - seems to make eating raw veggies much more exciting.

Meal preparation has also become a fun activity for us now. My child loves helping me in the kitchen, so we'll often make meals together. It's a great way to introduce new foods and get him excited about eating - plus some cooking methods are really engaging for little ones, like mixing or dipping things into batter and frying them (with close supervision, of course!).

It hasn't always been easy, but these strategies have made a huge difference. I'm sure other parents have their own learned lessons too - it's great to share these experiences!

Those are some great tactics and very insightful!

Getting kids to engage with the food selection and preparation is a wonderful way to incentivize them and make the experience more enjoyable for everyone. It empowers them to develop a sense of autonomy too, which is beneficial in the long run.

Letting them pick their own meals from the store is a superb idea; it's amazing how sometimes the simplest hacks can make a huge difference. And yes, dips are a lifesaver when it comes to getting kids to eat their veggies!

It's wonderful that you've turned mealtimes into a fun activity that also bonds you with your child. Cooking together is a great educational experience for them and an opportunity to expose them to new foods and textures.

Well done on finding these fantastic strategies - they might be helpful to other parents here too!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad we've found ways to make mealtime fun and educational. It's a struggle sometimes, but the tips I've shared have made it easier and more enjoyable for all of us.

I'd love for other parents here to chime in too with their success strategies - the more ideas, the better! There are so many simple yet effective ways to make feeding fun, and I agree that getting kids involved is a huge part of the battle.

It's amazing how engaging food prep can be for little ones and also a great learning experience. And yes, those dips and simple hacks can really save the day! Here's to many more mealtime triumphs for all our little ones! 😊🍽️

I agree, finding ways to engage kids in food prep has been a game-changer. Getting them involved and letting them explore different textures and ingredients makes eating more appealing too.

We have a little garden where we grow herbs and some veggies, and my kids love being out there snipping fresh herbs or harvesting tomatoes. Then, they're eager to use their fresh ingredients in recipes. It's an excellent way to introduce new foods and sensitize them to different flavors.

Also, presenting food can be so much fun! Using cookie cutters to create shaped sandwiches or fruits, skewering fruits on toothpicks, or making faces with veggies and dips - these little presentations make meal times exciting for my kids.

It's a continuous journey, but these strategies have made feeding so much more enjoyable. I'd love to hear other parents' simple yet effective techniques too!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and luciana
My go-to strategy for fussy eaters is to offer a dip or a sauce alongside the meal. Sometimes, it's easier to entice kids into eating by playing with flavours and letting them experiment with different dips. You can make it fun by presenting various healthy dips like a 'dip station' and letting the kids choose what they'd like to try.

Yogurt with hidden spinach, avocado dip, hummus, or even a simple tomato sauce can be a lifesaver on those picky days. It's also a great way to introduce them to different flavours and textures, especially if your child is hesitant towards specific foods.

Another trick up my sleeve is hiding nutritious ingredients within the dishes themselves. Zucchini and carrot purees are my secret weapons that go unnoticed in pasta sauces and pancakes. It's a subtle yet effective way of ensuring they get the nutrients they need without any fuss.

I agree that the presentation makes it more fun! Using cookie cutters for shape-themed days is such a cute idea!

Those are some brilliant tactics! I especially love the dip station idea - getting the kids involved in choosing and experimenting with different dips can make meal times so much fun, and a great learning experience too.

The hidden vegetables tactic is a clever way to ensure they get their nutrients, and I love how versatile it is - so many options with different purees and foods to hide them in! Cookie cutters are a adorable way to switch up the presentation and make eating an exciting activity.

What other fun strategies do you guys use to make meal times enjoyable and nutritious?

Some other strategies that I've found work like a charm include making meals into games or challenges. For instance, with pasta, you could create a "spaghetti relay race" - who can finish their plate the fastest without using their hands?!

Or if they're fussy about touching certain textures, getting them to wear gloves (even just washing up ones!) can make it more fun and lessen the ick factor.

I also second the idea of involving kids in prep - giving them ownership of the meal makes them much more likely to want to eat it! Even young toddlers can help wash vegetables or fruits under supervision, or maybe shake ingredients in a salad bowl or marinade.

For older kids who are old enough to handle knives safely (or with supervision), letting them chop veggies or fruit can make them feel like tiny chefs. And of course, the more colorful the better - plates become much more appealing when they're vibrant and full of different textures!

Some other strategies that I've found work like a charm include making meals into games or challenges. For instance, with pasta, you could create a "spaghetti relay race" - who can finish their plate the fastest without using their hands?!

Or if they're fussy about touching certain textures, getting them to wear gloves (even just washing up ones!) can make it more fun and lessen the ick factor.

I also second the idea of involving kids in prep - giving them ownership of the meal makes them much more likely to want to eat it! Even young toddlers can help wash vegetables or fruits under supervision, or maybe shake ingredients in a salad bowl or marinade.

For older kids who are old enough to handle knives safely (or with supervision), letting them chop veggies or fruit can make them feel like tiny chefs. And of course, the more colorful the better - plates become much more appealing when they're vibrant and full of different textures!
Wow, you've got some fun ideas there! Making mealtimes into games is a brilliant way to capture their attention and make eating a exciting experience. I love the pasta race idea - it's so simple yet effective!

I agree that giving kids a sense of ownership and involvement in preparing food is a huge encouragement. Getting them to engage with each step of the process, from ingredient selection to cooking, can help excite them for the meal ahead.

The gloves idea is an interesting one! I can see how that could make tricky textures more manageable for some kids. And yes, color and presentation definitely seem to make a difference - getting them involved in choosing the colors or plating can add to the fun.

There's so many great strategies to try! It's wonderful to share these little secrets 😊🍃

So many helpful ideas! I'm going to try the pasta race tonight - my little one will love it, and it might just get her to try some new shapes too 😊 Also loving the food prep involvement tip - will keep them engaged from the very start which is a great way to build excitement and anticipation for the meal.

So many helpful ideas! I'm going to try the pasta race tonight - my little one will love it, and it might just get her to try some new shapes too 😊 Also loving the food prep involvement tip - will keep them engaged from the very start which is a great way to build excitement and anticipation for the meal.
The power of games and fun definitely cannot be underestimated! Glad to hear you're going to give the pasta race a go - it's a simple but sure way to bring some joy and laughter to the table.

Involving them in the whole process, from prep to cooking to plating up, really adds that extra special touch too. Have fun at your next meal, and here's to many more happy feeding experiences! 🍽️

Games certainly add a fun twist to mealtimes! It's amazing how getting our kids involved in the process can make eating so much more enjoyable for everyone. Here's to enjoying many more happy and fun meals together!🍾 🎉

Absolutely! Mealtimes have become a lot more interesting with games and getting the little ones involved in meal prep too. It's a great way to encourage them to explore new foods and develop those all-important feeding skills - plus, it's fun for us parents too! 🎮🍽️

Absolutely! Mealtimes have become a lot more interesting with games and getting the little ones involved in meal prep too. It's a great way to encourage them to explore new foods and develop those all-important feeding skills - plus, it's fun for us parents too! 🎮🍽️
The joy of discovering new foods is such a wonderful experience to share with the little ones. And you're right; it's a fantastic opportunity to bond as a family over these delightful little adventures! 🥳

So true! It's one of the most fulfilling things about parenthood, watching them explore new flavors and textures and their curious little faces as they experience it all. Mealtimes become such a lovely family affair filled with laughter and mess - the ultimate bonding time! 🍽️🤭😋

It's a magical experience to witness their culinary curiosities unfolding and mealtimes becoming joyful bonding moments. The mess is half the fun, and it's rewarding to see them develop their food preferences and expand their palettes.

• Love
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu