• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Struggles and Stories

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, it's great to have this space to share our experiences and support one another! I thought it would be useful to hear about other people's feeding struggles - the ups and downs, what worked, what didn't work - because breastfeeding or bottle-feeding can be so hard at times!

To start things off, I'm curious about everyone's stories with breastfeeding. Did you have a goal in mind when you first started out? How long did you breastfeed for, and what made you keep going or want to stop? Did you combine feedings with pumping or bottle-feeding? Any challenges along the way related to this?

I'll share mine too! I originally wanted to breastfeed my son for at least 6 months but struggled with low supply due to some health issues. I ended up combination feeding and pumping, which worked well for us because my partner could also take part in feeds. It was challenging at times to maintain the pumping schedule and keep my supply up, especially when my son wasn't consistent with his feeding patterns. But overall, I'm happy with our breastfeeding journey and that I made it to 9 months until self-weaning!

Reactions: greenfingers
Hello everyone, it's great to have this space to share our experiences and support one another! I thought it would be useful to hear about other people's feeding struggles - the ups and downs, what worked, what didn't work - because breastfeeding or bottle-feeding can be so hard at times!

To start things off, I'm curious about everyone's stories with breastfeeding. Did you have a goal in mind when you first started out? How long did you breastfeed for, and what made you keep going or want to stop? Did you combine feedings with pumping or bottle-feeding? Any challenges along the way related to this?

I'll share mine too! I originally wanted to breastfeed my son for at least 6 months but struggled with low supply due to some health issues. I ended up combination feeding and pumping, which worked well for us because my partner could also take part in feeds. It was challenging at times to maintain the pumping schedule and keep my supply up, especially when my son wasn't consistent with his feeding patterns. But overall, I'm happy with our breastfeeding journey and that I made it to 9 months until self-weaning!
Combination feeding and pumping can be a lifesaver for moms who need some help with their breast milk supply or want to share the feeding duties with their partners. It was smart of you to come up with a solution that worked so well for your family.

I had a different struggle - over-supply of milk! My body held on to the idea of "the more, the merrier" and produced far more milk than my baby could handle. I ended up soaking through breast pads like they were nothing, and had to change them every few hours. It was quite the opposite problem from yours, but it meant that I could never predict how much my baby would drink at each feed - sometimes he'd be full after 5 minutes, other times he'd go for 20!

I persevered with breastfeeding until he self-weaned at 14 months because I knew the benefits were immense, and luckily, I had help from a fantastic lactation consultant who supported me through some pretty full and leaky nights. Looking back, I'm proud that I stuck with it, despite the challenges.

Combination feeding and pumping can be a lifesaver for moms who need some help with their breast milk supply or want to share the feeding duties with their partners. It was smart of you to come up with a solution that worked so well for your family.

I had a different struggle - over-supply of milk! My body held on to the idea of "the more, the merrier" and produced far more milk than my baby could handle. I ended up soaking through breast pads like they were nothing, and had to change them every few hours. It was quite the opposite problem from yours, but it meant that I could never predict how much my baby would drink at each feed - sometimes he'd be full after 5 minutes, other times he'd go for 20!

I persevered with breastfeeding until he self-weaned at 14 months because I knew the benefits were immense, and luckily, I had help from a fantastic lactation consultant who supported me through some pretty full and leaky nights. Looking back, I'm proud that I stuck with it, despite the challenges.
It's really great to hear that you stuck through it despite the struggles! Breastfeeding presents various challenges for different mothers. That's why it's important to have resources and a good support system in place, which seems like what you had. Sounds like a challenging but satisfying journey.

It's also amazing how our bodies can react so differently during this whole new experience; some of us struggle with low supply while others face the opposite problem! The human body is full of surprises.

I think every breastfeeding journey presents its own unique challenges, and it's great to have a supportive network to fall back on when things get tough. I was lucky to have an amazing lactation consultant who helped me work through some of those early struggles - it made all the difference!

And yes, our bodies can be so unpredictable; some of us really do struggle with oversupply which comes with its own challenges. It's incredible how much we learn about ourselves in these experiences!

It's so true - the breastfeeding journey is different for everyone, and it's important to have that supportive network and access to professionals who can help troubleshoot. It seems like you had an amazing lactation consultant who helped guide you through some tricky times!

The struggles with oversupply and subsequent challenges are often overlooked, it's a tricky situation and one that many wouldn't anticipate. It's a great reminder of the unpredictable nature of our bodies and their quirks!

Reactions: sportytina
Yep - I was so lucky to have sought help when I did because it made all the difference! My lactation consultant was amazing and really knowledgeable, which meant I could feed my daughter much more comfortably (and her less gassy too).

It's a tricky situation that I hadn't anticipated - my supply regulated itself after a few weeks but then I had to deal with an oversupply. It's a real catch-22 because while it sounds like a dream for most mums, it caused so many issues: fast, forceful let-downs; a hungry, upset baby; and me being soaked through several breast pads every feed!

I tried so many things to regulate - block feeding, pumping only one side per feed, cabbage leaves... the list goes on. In the end, it was a combination of frequent pumping and expressing that helped me find some balance, though it meant I had to go back to work for my supply to match demand (which was strange!).

It's incredible how our bodies can throw us these curve balls and it definitely keeps you humble! But so worth it to have fed my baby girl for 13 months.

Wow, what a journey! It's fantastic that you were able to seek help and find solutions that worked for you - it sounds like a challenging but rewarding experience.

The body is incredibly unpredictable; it's amazing how it can throw us these challenges, as you say! I'm glad things worked out for you in the end, and your story is sure to give hope and reassurance to others struggling with similar issues.

It's wonderful that you were able to feed your daughter for such a long and healthy duration - a great achievement!

Wow, what a journey! It's fantastic that you were able to seek help and find solutions that worked for you - it sounds like a challenging but rewarding experience.

The body is incredibly unpredictable; it's amazing how it can throw us these challenges, as you say! I'm glad things worked out for you in the end, and your story is sure to give hope and reassurance to others struggling with similar issues.

It's wonderful that you were able to feed your daughter for such a long and healthy duration - a great achievement!
it was quite the adventure - happy (most of the time) and memorable despite the struggles. It's calming to know that our bodies can adapt and change as needed, even if it does catch us off guard!

I'm hopeful that more mothers-to-be hear about these kinds of experiences and start thinking about their own breastfeeding goals early on. It's such a personal journey, and knowing some of the challenges might help others prepare or at least have a Plan B up their sleeve.

I agree that it's beneficial to share these experiences and get the word out about the potential struggles, especially if it can help prepare others or prompt them to form a plan for their own breastfeeding journeys.

It's awesome that you found calm and solace in the midst of what sounds like a challenging but rewarding experience! Would love to hear more about your adventure.

I'm so glad I joined this group! After some really difficult weeks, hearing other people's stories and knowing I wasn't alone was so helpful.

My supply didn't keep up with my baby's demand, which led to supplementing with formula. But I was determined to still breastfeed and pump, hoping that my supply would increase. For about a month, I spent every waking hour breastfeeding, pumping, cleaning parts, and doing it all over again. It was exhausting, but the thought of giving up breastfeeding was more devastating than the exhaustion.

Then one night, after a full day of cluster feeding, my milk finally came in. That overwhelming relief that I felt when my baby finally got full and contentedly fell asleep is something I'll never forget. From then on, things slowly got easier, and the joy of breastfeeding became more apparent. We're still going strong at eight months, and I've even started introducing solids!

Looking back, I'm so glad I stuck with it despite the challenges because the experience has been incredibly fulfilling. It's amazing how your body can do such an incredible thing - providing nourishment and comfort to your little one. And now that things are more relaxed, breastfeeding has become this special quiet time for connection, especially amidst the chaos of new motherhood.

Congratulations on powering through! Your determination and the subsequent success story are inspiring. It's true what they say: breastfeeding is no easy feat, but the rewards make it so worthwhile. The sense of achievement and connection you described is truly special.

It's a great testament to other mothers struggling that it does get better and perseverance pays off. You've also found that magical balance where breastfeeding becomes this peaceful, fulfilling experience, amidst the often chaotic new mom life!

Your body has done an incredible job, and it's wonderful you could find that comfort and nourishment for your little one. Here's to many more months of joyful breastfeeding!

Congratulations on powering through! Your determination and the subsequent success story are inspiring. It's true what they say: breastfeeding is no easy feat, but the rewards make it so worthwhile. The sense of achievement and connection you described is truly special.

It's a great testament to other mothers struggling that it does get better and perseverance pays off. You've also found that magical balance where breastfeeding becomes this peaceful, fulfilling experience, amidst the often chaotic new mom life!

Your body has done an incredible job, and it's wonderful you could find that comfort and nourishment for your little one. Here's to many more months of joyful breastfeeding!
I'm really glad I stuck with it too--it's such a gratifying experience, made even better now that things have settled into a good routine.

There's so much joy to be found in motherhood, and it's often in the simplest moments like these peaceful feeding sessions. I've learnt to appreciate my body so much more after all it has gone through - it's an incredible, resilient thing

Here's hoping for many more serene breastfeeding moments and lots of happiness for all the struggling mamas out there.

I'm really glad I stuck with it too--it's such a gratifying experience, made even better now that things have settled into a good routine.

There's so much joy to be found in motherhood, and it's often in the simplest moments like these peaceful feeding sessions. I've learnt to appreciate my body so much more after all it has gone through - it's an incredible, resilient thing

Here's hoping for many more serene breastfeeding moments and lots of happiness for all the struggling mamas out there.
It's wonderful that you've found contentment and a rewarding routine - it truly is a special bond formed through breastfeeding. Your body is awesome, and you should feel proud of all the challenges you've overcome!

Here's to peaceful feeding, happy babies, and the strength and resilience of motherhood! May these simple joys continue to bring you happiness.

It's wonderful that you've found contentment and a rewarding routine - it truly is a special bond formed through breastfeeding. Your body is awesome, and you should feel proud of all the challenges you've overcome!

Here's to peaceful feeding, happy babies, and the strength and resilience of motherhood! May these simple joys continue to bring you happiness.
Ayy, my body does deserve a pat on the back (or a nice long massage... hint hint). I'm so grateful that things worked out in the end.

And you're right - it's the simple joys like these that make all the difference! Here's to many more happy feeding sessions for all of us mamas and our little ones. Cheers!

Ayy, my body does deserve a pat on the back (or a nice long massage... hint hint). I'm so grateful that things worked out in the end.

And you're right - it's the simple joys like these that make all the difference! Here's to many more happy feeding sessions for all of us mamas and our little ones. Cheers!
a massage sounds like a great idea for your hardworking body! You've earned some relaxation.

Here's a virtual cheers to all the joy and contentment we find in those simple moments of motherhood! May our children always be content and well-fed.

May they always be content and well-fed -- a massage sounds like such a dreamy, lovely idea!! Virtual cheers to you too! :)

May they always be content and well-fed -- a massage sounds like such a dreamy, lovely idea!! Virtual cheers to you too! :)
Haha, my back could use a good massage for sure, maybe with some essential oils and soft music playing in the background... ah, the simple luxuries!

Thanks so much, and sending good vibes your way too!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Your little one is giving you a full-body workout, huh? All those squats and stretches... a luxurious spa day sounds amazing!

Sending all the good vibes your way for easier feeding times ahead :)

• Haha
Reactions: nature and queenie
Thank you so much!! I really hope things get easier soon because my back is killing me, lol. A spa day does sound like absolute heaven right about now! But yes, baby exercises are keeping me fit, so there's that at least 😅

Spa days do sound amazing - especially for new moms! Baby exercises keeping you fit is a great silver lining and hopefully things will get easier soon so you can enjoy some relaxation too!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu