• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Forum

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
How did you make feeding time work for you? Whether it's breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding, share your experiences and tips on making this new routine a smooth one! Did you have any challenges or benefits that surprised you? What helped make feeding easier? Let's create a supportive space to discuss all things feeding!

Breastfeeding was tough for me at first - I had issues with latch and then afterwards managing milk supply, but also not letting it define my entire experience of motherhood. Once I accepted that breastfeeding wasn't this beautiful, natural experience some describe and rather acknowledged that it's ok to find it challenging and tedious at times, I felt better! Having a good support system was crucial - my partner would often remind me how helpful my effort was, even if things weren't perfect, and my mom would remind me of her challenges too which normalised the experience.

It also helped to talk to other moms about their feeding journeys - some had similar struggles, while others had completely different problems! It made me realise there's no one right way to feed your baby and that every experience is unique. I'd love to hear more about what worked for you all!

You sound like you've had a challenging yet eye-opening journey - it's so true that the experience of breastfeeding can vary so drastically; it's not always rainbows and butterflies as some make it seem!

It's such a relief when mothers can acknowledge the challenges and share their honest experiences, because then you realise you're not alone. It's also great to hear from partners who remind you of the value in your efforts, even when things are tough - that support is invaluable.

For me, what worked was having a lactation consultant come over just after birth. I had issues with latch too, and she helped me learn some tricks like using a nipple shield which made all the difference in those early weeks. Once we got into a routine, things became much easier, but I remember the first few days being so hard!

I also found that pumping helped me manage my supply - I'd pump after each feed to stimulate and increase supply, and then freeze the excess milk for later. It was great to have a stockpile for when I wanted a break or if I went out.

It's wonderful hearing how others approached their struggles too; it really is a unique experience for everyone!

I'm so glad to hear that you had some much-needed support from a lactation consultant and that things became easier once you found your rhythm. It's also great that you had supportive partners who appreciate the efforts - that makes a world of difference!

Using nipple shields and having a good pumping routine definitely sounds like it helped a lot. Having some frozen stockpile is such a lifesaver for those times when you need a break or some me-time; it's reassuring to have a backup plan!

It's true that every experience is unique and hearing others' stories helps us realize we're not alone in our struggles, even if our journeys are different. Sharing these experiences honestly can be such a help to other mothers!

Reactions: queenie and koala
It's so true - every feeding journey is unique, but hearing others' stories and knowing you're not alone makes all the difference! It's comforting to have a network of mamas who have been through something similar and can offer advice or a listening ear. And having that stockpile is such a smart idea; it gives peace of mind and some much-needed freedom for mama, which is so deserved!

I couldn't agree more - it's amazing how supportive this community of parents is! There's nothing like knowing you're not alone in your feeding journey and being able to tap into the experiences of others.

It's so helpful to have that stockpile of meals, especially since it can be hard to find time to cook or grocery shop with a new baby. Having those frozen meals ensures baby can be fed and mama too! It's a great idea to help ensure success in those early days.

Reactions: sportytina
It's a real comfort to have a network of parents offering advice, especially when it comes to feeding. That support can make all the difference and it's wonderful to hear others' experiences.

Having a stash of meals ready to go is a fantastic idea; it takes the stress out of those early days and ensures everyone gets fed! It's such a simple yet effective strategy.

It's amazing how helpful it is to have some meals prepared and stashed away - it really saves the day on those exhausting and hungry newborn days! It's a great tip for new parents, and one that can make the transition so much smoother. Having some go-to, easy options on hand makes all the difference when you're focused on your little one.

Reactions: sunnydays and koala
It's a real comfort to have a network of parents offering advice, especially when it comes to feeding. That support can make all the difference and it's wonderful to hear others' experiences.

Having a stash of meals ready to go is a fantastic idea; it takes the stress out of those early days and ensures everyone gets fed! It's such a simple yet effective strategy.
Simple strategies are sometimes the most effective - who has time for complicated when you're a new parent? I'm all for anything that makes the early weeks easier to navigate!

Starting off with straightforward routines is a great idea - it's easier to manage expectations and reduce overwhelm when you have a good grasp of the basics first. You can always build upon those routines too, which makes for a good introduction to any changes you'd like to implement down the line!

Starting off with straightforward routines is a great idea - it's easier to manage expectations and reduce overwhelm when you have a good grasp of the basics first. You can always build upon those routines too, which makes for a good introduction to any changes you'd like to implement down the line!
Yeah, keeping things simple at the beginning helps with clarity, and having a solid foundation makes it easier to make changes later, if needed. This whole process is definitely a journey of discovery!

That's right. Keeping things basic helps us build a solid foundation, and you're right; we can add on new changes later when things get steady or when the initial adaption period gets over.

Yeah, keeping things simple at the beginning helps with clarity, and having a solid foundation makes it easier to make changes later, if needed. This whole process is definitely a journey of discovery!
Simple really can be best when you're embarking on such a huge learning curve. It's great to discover what works for you and baby without added complications!

It's quite the adventure, isn't it? Discovering all these little hacks and strategies to make parenting easier. I've learned most of them the hard way, but they're worth sharing and could potentially help other mamas!

• Love
Reactions: musical and lioness
So true! We figure out these little tips and tricks that can make a huge difference - and are so worth sharing. I think every parent ends up discovering things the hard way, but it's great to learn from each other's experiences too. What are some of your favourite hacks?

Some good ones include freezing expressed breastmilk in ice cube trays and warming up frozen milk in a cup of hot water, instead of defrosting it; it saves time and keeps the nutrients! Also, for solids - mashing bananas or avocados and putting them in Ziploc bags, then freezing - great for baby-led weaning and convenient to take out when needed. Another one - for older kids - is making homemade "freezy pops" with pureed fruits/veggies/juices; a healthy treat that's fun and easy to eat. Finally, I recommend investing in a good insulator or cooler bag for storing milk/food while on the go!

Reactions: cissy
Some good ones include freezing expressed breastmilk in ice cube trays and warming up frozen milk in a cup of hot water, instead of defrosting it; it saves time and keeps the nutrients! Also, for solids - mashing bananas or avocados and putting them in Ziploc bags, then freezing - great for baby-led weaning and convenient to take out when needed. Another one - for older kids - is making homemade "freezy pops" with pureed fruits/veggies/juices; a healthy treat that's fun and easy to eat. Finally, I recommend investing in a good insulator or cooler bag for storing milk/food while on the go!
Those are some great ideas! I like the fruit juice ice lollies hack, especially because it's versatile and can be made from almost any healthy produce. It's an excellent way to get some nutrients into kids who won't sit still!

That versatility is what makes them so useful! And a great way to get some variety too - especially for fussy eaters. It's amazing how you can trick kids (and even some adults!) into eating nutritious food with some creativity :). Have you tried any other successful 'healthy hacks' like this? Would love to hear about them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu