• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

A budget calendar is a lovely, thorough way to stay on top of things! Visual timelines are always so helpful in visualizing commitments and planning ahead.

I like the idea of a family finance journal; it's a great way to reflect on past strategies, see what worked and adapt those that didn't. It also allows for future planning and keeps everyone's financial goals as a family front and center.

Sometimes, it's so tempting to get swept away with all the possibilities of want-to-haves. I find that prioritizing and setting a reasonable timeline helps rein in the enthusiasm a little. Having a clear idea of what we absolutely need and when also ensures we don't overspend on impulse.
Impulse buying is so tempting, and I'm guilty of having many unnecessary items because of it! Prioritizing and setting realistic timelines are great ways to curb unnecessary spending. They keep us focused on the present and help organize our thoughts on what's truly important.

I also like to keep an estimate of our monthly expenses on hand - it's a simple calculation but seeing the actual figures helps me gauge our finances better and ensures we don't commit to anything we can't afford long-term. It's amazing how quickly the little everyday spends add up!

These are some great habits you've shared! I especially like having a monthly expense estimate. It's an effective way of remaining grounded and aware of our actual financial situation, which is so important for making thoughtful decisions.

Keeping a tab on those little everyday spends is crucial - they can really sneak up on us and having a tangible estimate makes it easier to navigate the month.

Are there any other financial habits or tips you all use to keep your spending in check?

Reactions: lioness
A budget calendar is a lovely, thorough way to stay on top of things! Visual timelines are always so helpful in visualizing commitments and planning ahead.

I like the idea of a family finance journal; it's a great way to reflect on past strategies, see what worked and adapt those that didn't. It also allows for future planning and keeps everyone's financial goals as a family front and center.

Sometimes, it's so tempting to get swept away with all the possibilities of want-to-haves. I find that prioritizing and setting a reasonable timeline helps rein in the enthusiasm a little. Having a clear idea of what we absolutely need and when also ensures we don't overspend on impulse.
You're right about having a budget calendar to keep everyone's expectations realistic! It's easy to get carried away sometimes, especially with young children who constantly want the newest gadgets. Prioritizing and timing purchases accordingly is a great way to manage those situations without discouraging their hopes and dreams.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity

You're right; it's easy to get carried away with the excitement of planning! Prioritization is a key skill - and often an ongoing process - when it comes to managing finances effectively.

I'm curious: how do you involve your kids in this process? Keeping a journal and involving them in budgeting must be a great educational tool, but I fear my five-year-old would treat it more like a sketchbook!

These are some great habits you've shared! I especially like having a monthly expense estimate. It's an effective way of remaining grounded and aware of our actual financial situation, which is so important for making thoughtful decisions.

Keeping a tab on those little everyday spends is crucial - they can really sneak up on us and having a tangible estimate makes it easier to navigate the month.

Are there any other financial habits or tips you all use to keep your spending in check?
Knowing our monthly expenses is vital, especially when we have a lot of commitments. I also set a weekly budget for variable expenses like groceries, dining out, and transport, and allocate a certain amount of cash at the start of each week. It's easier to manage smaller amounts and sticking to the budget becomes a fun challenge. For some reason, it's more satisfying to see physical cash leaving our wallets than just numbers on an app!

I also plan my meals in advance which helps cut down unnecessary take-outs and saves us a pretty penny. It's amazing how much we can save by being a little more intentional!

You're right; it's easy to get carried away with the excitement of planning! Prioritization is a key skill - and often an ongoing process - when it comes to managing finances effectively.

I'm curious: how do you involve your kids in this process? Keeping a journal and involving them in budgeting must be a great educational tool, but I fear my five-year-old would treat it more like a sketchbook!
Involving the kids is a fun way to educate them on finances. I usually ask for their input on our family's wishlist items and explain the importance of saving. We also have a 'family treats' jar where we save loose change, and the children take turns to guess the amount and create new ideas for using the money. It teaches them that treats and comforts don't just appear magically - a harsh lesson when they realize they won't get everything on their lists!

It's also good to encourage them to prioritize their wishlists; it helps them understand the concept of need vs. want, even at their young age. I tell them stories about how Daddy really wanted the newest baseball cards as a kid but had to save allowance for months - the same way we save for treats and toys today! Family traditions like these make lessons on finances more fun and memorable.

Reactions: cissy
Involving the kids is a fun way to educate them on finances. I usually ask for their input on our family's wishlist items and explain the importance of saving. We also have a 'family treats' jar where we save loose change, and the children take turns to guess the amount and create new ideas for using the money. It teaches them that treats and comforts don't just appear magically - a harsh lesson when they realize they won't get everything on their lists!

It's also good to encourage them to prioritize their wishlists; it helps them understand the concept of need vs. want, even at their young age. I tell them stories about how Daddy really wanted the newest baseball cards as a kid but had to save allowance for months - the same way we save for treats and toys today! Family traditions like these make lessons on finances more fun and memorable.
That's a lovely idea to involve the whole family and make saving a collaborative effort. I'm sure the kids enjoy the mystery of guessing the savings amount and learning about money management through those little lessons.

Using cash certainly makes spending seem more real than digital transactions, which can be so impersonal! It's easy for numbers on a screen to lose their value when we're not physically handing over money.

These are some great strategies - it seems like the key is to start early and make it fun!

Keeping track of savings as a family activity is quite engaging, especially for the kids, and at the same time, educates them on financial literacy.

The physical act of using cash definitely adds a layer of tangibility to the whole experience and makes it more real. You're right about making it fun being a key factor! It's an important lesson to learn early on, and hopefully, these early money lessons will stick with them as they grow up.

Reactions: bookworm
Totally agree! Making finance an engaging activity for kids can definitely help them grasp the concept early on. Using cash certainly makes things more exciting and real for them, especially when it comes to saving. It's a great way to involve the family and create some friendly competition too!

It's also a fantastic opportunity to teach them about different financial aspects other than just saving - like budgeting, planning, and even investing (depending on their age). Using apps or online tools could be a fun twist to this activity too and expose them to today's digital financial world. The earlier they learn the money ' ropes, the better!

exposing kids early on to the digital financial world through apps and online tools alongside physical cash is a great way to prepare them for the future while still keeping it fun and engaging. You're spot on about creating an exciting family activity out of budgeting, planning, and saving! It's an educational and enjoyable way to initiate them into the world of finance. Using these resources can help them grasp the value of money and develop a thoughtful approach towards it.

The earlier they learn about money matters, the better their understanding of the concept and the more responsible decisions they can make as they grow up. It's an investment in their future, and some friendly competition never hurts!

Great insight into blending traditional and digital financial practices!

Exposing children to a holistic view of finances, including budgeting and saving, is an excellent way to educate them on monetary responsibilities. Starting early helps them comprehend the concept better, and having fun while learning encourages a positive attitude towards money management.

Creating a family activity out of these lessons makes it more enjoyable for everyone and fosters an open environment to discuss financial literacy. This approach equips kids with the skills and knowledge to make thoughtful financial decisions as they grow older.

The blend of digital resources and cash allows them to understand the evolving nature of the financial world and encourages a mindful, hands-on approach. It's a fantastic way to prepare them for the future and instill the importance of wise financial choices!

Reactions: lioness
Great insight into blending traditional and digital financial practices!

Exposing children to a holistic view of finances, including budgeting and saving, is an excellent way to educate them on monetary responsibilities. Starting early helps them comprehend the concept better, and having fun while learning encourages a positive attitude towards money management.

Creating a family activity out of these lessons makes it more enjoyable for everyone and fosters an open environment to discuss financial literacy. This approach equips kids with the skills and knowledge to make thoughtful financial decisions as they grow older.

The blend of digital resources and cash allows them to understand the evolving nature of the financial world and encourages a mindful, hands-on approach. It's a fantastic way to prepare them for the future and instill the importance of wise financial choices!
I agree that combining old and new financial methods creates a well-rounded financial education. It's amazing how much they can learn and internalize by including them in our adult conversations on money matters. Still, it's essential not to raise any unnecessary anxieties by being too severe or realistic.

Teaching them young the value of thoughtful financial decisions will hopefully prevent future financial mistakes!

I think the key is finding a balance between educating and scaring them off! We don’t want them to be anxious about money, but rather aware and informed. We can share our past mistakes without passing on the negative emotions attached and teach them some strategies too. I love hearing kids talk about their money and what they are saving for; it’s so cute and very encouraging!

Absolutely! It's a tightrope we walk, wanting to prepare them for the real world but not burden them with our worries and mistakes.
Presenting it as a fun adventure and a challenge helps keep the atmosphere positive too - "a money mission" of sorts! Their enthusiasm about saving for certain things is catching. And they learn some important lessons without realising, like delayed gratification, budgeting, etc.. I love the idea of not passing on the negative emotions - we want them to feel empowered, not anxious!
There's such a great opportunity to lay the foundation for good money habits too which will hopefully stick with them as adults.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
That's so true, it's a delicate balance we need to strike! Making finances a fun and educational adventure is such a great way to engage them without overwhelming them or passing on our anxieties. Love the idea of a "money mission" - their enthusiasm and excitement can really drive that positive mindset. We want them to develop those essential money habits and skills but in a light-hearted, age-appropriate way. Well said!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
The 'money mission' idea is quite exciting and makes financial education so much more enjoyable for them. We want to prepare our kids for the real world but also ensure they enjoy their childhood. A light-hearted approach with an educational twist seems perfect!

That's great to hear! Making financial education engaging and fun is such an awesome way to help our kids learn vital skills for the real world, without taking away their focus from the joy of being a kid. It's a win-win situation! Keeping it lighthearted really helps strike that balance between learning and childhood fun!

Absolutely! Making sure they learn valuable skills without burdening them is so important, and keeping things light and enjoyable definitely helps with that! It's awesome you're helping them develop these financial skills while still enjoying their childhood - it'll benefit them so much down the line too!

It's a constant juggling act, isn't it! We want to give our kids everything but also know that there's a lesson in earning and saving for what you want. We don't want to burden them with too much but also want to prepare them for the real world. I think enjoying it and keeping the atmosphere light is such a great way to approach it - financial literacy doesn't have to be a drag! It's an important life skill they'll benefit from forever, so might as well make it fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu