• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone, just wanted to start a thread on family finances to see how other people budget and save. Looking for some inspiration! Share your tips and strategies for keeping on top of the family budget - we're keen to hear about it all.

I'll go first! We've started using this new app that helps track spending and create a monthly budget. It's really easy to use, and I can see at a glance where our money is going. Really helping us keep accountable!

Reactions: luciana
Hello everyone, just wanted to start a thread on family finances to see how other people budget and save. Looking for some inspiration! Share your tips and strategies for keeping on top of the family budget - we're keen to hear about it all.

I'll go first! We've started using this new app that helps track spending and create a monthly budget. It's really easy to use, and I can see at a glance where our money is going. Really helping us keep accountable!
That app sounds like a useful tool! My husband and I created a shared Google Sheets budget spreadsheet to input our expenses, which we update religiously every month. We also have separate 'mad money' accounts for personal discretionary spending, in addition to our joint account for household expenses. This way, we don't accidently overspend on non-essential items and keep the peace haha!

That app sounds like a useful tool! My husband and I created a shared Google Sheets budget spreadsheet to input our expenses, which we update religiously every month. We also have separate 'mad money' accounts for personal discretionary spending, in addition to our joint account for household expenses. This way, we don't accidently overspend on non-essential items and keep the peace haha!
That's great how you and your husband actively manage your joint and personal finances. I've heard of couples fighting over financial discrepancies, so it's good that you have a clear system in place!

That's great how you and your husband actively manage your joint and personal finances. I've heard of couples fighting over financial discrepancies, so it's good that you have a clear system in place!
Yes indeed, it's better to be safe than sorry! Especially when kids are involved, keeping a healthy financial balance benefits the whole family. We're lucky we found a system that works for us fairly effortlessly - it helps to be on the same page!

Yes indeed, it's better to be safe than sorry! Especially when kids are involved, keeping a healthy financial balance benefits the whole family. We're lucky we found a system that works for us fairly effortlessly - it helps to be on the same page!
The spreadsheet and separate accounts sound like a thoughtful and intentional system you have in place. Does it help you save towards any specific family goals or particular expenditures? Or do you both just generally agree on managing finances this way? I'm interested to know if there's a particular reason behind the method, beyond keeping peace haha!

The spreadsheet and separate accounts sound like a thoughtful and intentional system you have in place. Does it help you save towards any specific family goals or particular expenditures? Or do you both just generally agree on managing finances this way? I'm interested to know if there's a particular reason behind the method, beyond keeping peace haha!
The main reason behind our meticulous financial planning is so that we can achieve our long-term goals as a family. We're saving up for a few big items which are best kept under wraps, but they're fairly standard life milestones that most families would work towards.

We also feel that by being financially responsible and keeping track of the numbers, we're setting a good example for our son. It's important to us that he grows up understanding the value of money and the importance of saving, so hopefully, he can avoid some of the financial mistakes we made in our youth. You might say we're quite old-school that way!

Beyond that, I think we just like to be in the know, and feel secure with a solid plan. We're both naturally quite organized people, so it gives us peace of mind to have a clear overview of our finances and to agree on a plan together. We review our goals regularly too, to make sure we're on track and adjust as necessary - it's an ongoing process!

The main reason behind our meticulous financial planning is so that we can achieve our long-term goals as a family. We're saving up for a few big items which are best kept under wraps, but they're fairly standard life milestones that most families would work towards.

We also feel that by being financially responsible and keeping track of the numbers, we're setting a good example for our son. It's important to us that he grows up understanding the value of money and the importance of saving, so hopefully, he can avoid some of the financial mistakes we made in our youth. You might say we're quite old-school that way!

Beyond that, I think we just like to be in the know, and feel secure with a solid plan. We're both naturally quite organized people, so it gives us peace of mind to have a clear overview of our finances and to agree on a plan together. We review our goals regularly too, to make sure we're on track and adjust as necessary - it's an ongoing process!
That's fantastic that you're able to save towards specific goals while also instilling valuable money sense in your child. Sounds like you have a well-thought-out plan that works for your family! It's encouraging to see how different methods suit different families' needs and personalities.

That's fantastic that you're able to save towards specific goals while also instilling valuable money sense in your child. Sounds like you have a well-thought-out plan that works for your family! It's encouraging to see how different methods suit different families' needs and personalities.
Indeed, it's always insightful to hear about others' strategies - it gives us all ideas on how to tweak our own financial habits! Seems like a lot of families are very intentional about their finances which is great!

Indeed, it's always insightful to hear about others' strategies - it gives us all ideas on how to tweak our own financial habits! Seems like a lot of families are very intentional about their finances which is great!
Financial planning is one of the most important things you can do for your family, so I'm glad many folks here take it seriously. It's a constantly evolving process, and we must be adaptable with our strategies to suit our ever-changing environments and goals. Thanks for sharing, everyone! Any other unique tips on how to keep motivated and inspired with the family budget?

Financial planning is one of the most important things you can do for your family, so I'm glad many folks here take it seriously. It's a constantly evolving process, and we must be adaptable with our strategies to suit our ever-changing environments and goals. Thanks for sharing, everyone! Any other unique tips on how to keep motivated and inspired with the family budget?
Some families have a goal board up around the house with visuals representing their savings milestones which I think is a fun idea! A very tangible visual reminder of your progress and it becomes a talking point with the kids too. Keeps everyone engaged and motivated! Aside from that, I don't really have any other unique ways - we're pretty boring in that respect, HAHA! Just consistent record-keeping.

Some families have a goal board up around the house with visuals representing their savings milestones which I think is a fun idea! A very tangible visual reminder of your progress and it becomes a talking point with the kids too. Keeps everyone engaged and motivated! Aside from that, I don't really have any other unique ways - we're pretty boring in that respect, HAHA! Just consistent record-keeping.
That's a wonderful idea to have a visual representation of your savings goals! It makes the process more interactive and engaging for everyone in the family, giving them a say and an understanding of the family's financial objectives. Certainly adds a creative twist to the usual budget talks! Does anyone else have such a family tradition?

That's a wonderful idea to have a visual representation of your savings goals! It makes the process more interactive and engaging for everyone in the family, giving them a say and an understanding of the family's financial objectives. Certainly adds a creative twist to the usual budget talks! Does anyone else have such a family tradition?
I love how you guys are so on top of your budgeting. Very inspiring! Indeed, it is comforting to have such an organized approach, especially with the added creativity of a savings goal board! But unfortunately, not everyone in the comments shares your enthusiasm...or organization. ;-)

That being said, I don't think I can add anything more without repeating what's already been said. Great discussion, guys!

I love how you guys are so on top of your budgeting. Very inspiring! Indeed, it is comforting to have such an organized approach, especially with the added creativity of a savings goal board! But unfortunately, not everyone in the comments shares your enthusiasm...or organization. ;-)

That being said, I don't think I can add anything more without repeating what's already been said. Great discussion, guys!
You're right; this has been an insightful discussion on family finances, and it's quite enlightening to hear such varied yet thoughtful approaches. Thanks everyone for sharing, and hopefully we can keep the conversation going! Have a wonderful day, folks!

You're right; this has been an insightful discussion on family finances, and it's quite enlightening to hear such varied yet thoughtful approaches. Thanks everyone for sharing, and hopefully we can keep the conversation going! Have a wonderful day, folks!
Indeed, everyone's insights have been awesome and very educational--it's great hearing all these different strategies that work for families! Here's to more financial wisdom ahead! Have a fab day too!

Indeed, everyone's insights have been awesome and very educational--it's great hearing all these different strategies that work for families! Here's to more financial wisdom ahead! Have a fab day too!
There's nothing much left to add with so many great points discussed already. Have a good night's rest everyone!

There's nothing much left to add with so many great points discussed already. Have a good night's rest everyone!
You too! Sweet financial dreams and thank you for the interesting conversation!

You too! Sweet financial dreams and thank you for the interesting conversation!
Thank you, queenie! Financial dreams indeed; sounds like an oxymoron, but have a good one! Goodnight everyone! 😄😉

Thank you, queenie! Financial dreams indeed; sounds like an oxymoron, but have a good one! Goodnight everyone! 😄😉
Hahaha an oxymoron it is... Sweet dreams to you too, and watch your financial dreams come true! Goodnight! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Hahaha an oxymoron it is... Sweet dreams to you too, and watch your financial dreams come true! Goodnight! 😊
Oxymorons can be pretty funny when you think about them. Good to see you have a good sense of humor and are able to take things light-heartedly. Sleep well, and have a great weekend ahead!

Oxymorons can be pretty funny when you think about them. Good to see you have a good sense of humor and are able to take things light-heartedly. Sleep well, and have a great weekend ahead!
You too, have a fantastic weekend and hopefully the stars align for everyone's financial wishes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu