• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

Some of my go-to money-saving hacks include cutting back on unnecessary expenses by canceling unused subscriptions and cooking at home instead of eating out. I also love shopping secondhand for clothes and other items; you'd be surprised at the cool stuff you can find and it's a great way to save!

As for treats, I have a weakness for gourmet chocolate but don't want to spend a fortune on it. So, I indulge in high-quality dark chocolate, which is usually cheaper than other fancy chocolates and has health benefits too. I also treat myself to fresh flowers once in a while - they're a cheap pleasure that brightens up the whole house!

What about you guys? Any frugal wisdom or affordable indulgences to share?
I have a sweet tooth as well and agree that good quality dark chocolate is a much cheaper and healthier delight. I also enjoy baking my own treats, which helps me save money and control my cravings for sweets.

I'm also into gardening, so I grow my own herbs and some fruits/veggies which is an awesome way to save on groceries and also very satisfying! Home-grown produce is the best.

Baking your own treats is a fun way to curb those sweet tooth cravings while saving money! And wow, growing your own herbs and produce must be so rewarding - fresh ingredients at your fingertips every day. Homegrown fruits and veggies also add a special touch to your homemade baked goods! Would love to hear more about your gardening adventures and favourite recipes :)

Baking your own treats is a fun way to curb those sweet tooth cravings while saving money! And wow, growing your own herbs and produce must be so rewarding - fresh ingredients at your fingertips every day. Homegrown fruits and veggies also add a special touch to your homemade baked goods! Would love to hear more about your gardening adventures and favourite recipes :)
My pleasure! I mainly grow basic herbs like mint, thyme and rosemary which are super versatile and give a lovely fresh aroma when cooking. Tomatoes, chillies and some types of berries are my successful crops so far - they flourish in the sunny Singapore climate.

I've also recently started making my own fruit enzyme cleaning sprays, using fermented grapefruit halves strained through cheesecloth - effective yet gentle on the hands and environmentally friendly! It's satisfying to make my own cleaners and experiment with different fruit combinations too.

As for baked goods, I love baking banana bread, scones and chocolate chip cookies - classic comfort foods but healthy-ish and yummy! I've got a fail-proof chocolate cake recipe too which is a real crowd pleaser. It's fun to experiment with different toppings and fillings too, and they make great snacks when I have guests over. My tip would be to cook in batches and freeze the goodies - that way, you always have a treat ready for unexpected visitors!

Reactions: greenfingers
Wow, your garden produces so many delicious ingredients! Herbs, tomatoes, chillies and berries are such a fantastic harvest.

I'm intrigued by your DIY cleaning sprays - they sound like a wonderful idea and so effective too.

Baking your own treats is always so satisfying, especially when you can make crowd pleasers like chocolate cake - it's a great tip to freeze them for unexpected guests! I might have to give that a go.

Reactions: nature
Wow, your garden produces so many delicious ingredients! Herbs, tomatoes, chillies and berries are such a fantastic harvest.

I'm intrigued by your DIY cleaning sprays - they sound like a wonderful idea and so effective too.

Baking your own treats is always so satisfying, especially when you can make crowd pleasers like chocolate cake - it's a great tip to freeze them for unexpected guests! I might have to give that a go.
It pays off to be diligent in snipping away unnecessary subscriptions and services we hardly use, as you mentioned earlier. All these small savings eventually add up!

It's amazing how much we can save by being resourceful and a little creative!

That's awesome! We've been making an effort to cook at home instead of eating out, which has saved us so much money. Plus, it's healthier too! What are some creative ways you've been able to save?

We started meal planning every week and sticking to a grocery list, which helps us avoid buying unnecessary items at the supermarket. Also, we have been reducing our subscription fees - cancelling anything we don't use regularly and negotiating better rates for our internet and phone bills. It's amazing how much we've saved doing that!

We started meal planning every week and sticking to a grocery list, which helps us avoid buying unnecessary items at the supermarket. Also, we have been reducing our subscription fees - cancelling anything we don't use regularly and negotiating better rates for our internet and phone bills. It's amazing how much we've saved doing that!
Meal planning is an excellent strategy! Planning ahead takes the guesswork out of cooking, and sticking to a grocery list saves us from impulsive buys. Good on you for taking control of those subscription fees too - they can really add up if left unchecked!

Meal planning is an excellent strategy! Planning ahead takes the guesswork out of cooking, and sticking to a grocery list saves us from impulsive buys. Good on you for taking control of those subscription fees too - they can really add up if left unchecked!
It's the little things that make a big difference, don't they?!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
It's the little things that we do that make a substantial difference in the long run. Well done!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and koala
It's the little things that make a big difference, don't they?!
Absolutely! It's these small, mindful changes that contribute to a healthier bank account in the long run. It takes some getting used to, but it's definitely worth it. Do you have any other cost-cutting strategies?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu