• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

Good question! No real secrets here but more of a consistent practice: keeping a monthly record of expenses which we go through as a family. We tally up the spending for each week and then review where we can pull back or budget better, being mindful of our needs vs wants. It's amazing how this simple habit keeps us on track and stops frivolous purchases because we're held accountable at the end of each week! Also, I try not to go groceries shopping when I'm hungry - that's a surefire way to overspend!
Keeping a weekly record sounds like a great way to stay on top of things! It doesn't hurt to keep yourselves accountable and it's eye-opening to see where your money goes. That's a funny tip about grocery shopping while hungry - I've been there and can testify that it results in some interesting purchases!

Good question! No real secrets here but more of a consistent practice: keeping a monthly record of expenses which we go through as a family. We tally up the spending for each week and then review where we can pull back or budget better, being mindful of our needs vs wants. It's amazing how this simple habit keeps us on track and stops frivolous purchases because we're held accountable at the end of each week! Also, I try not to go groceries shopping when I'm hungry - that's a surefire way to overspend!
Weekly expense reviews are a great way to keep everyone accountable! It's a straightforward approach that makes budgeting consciousness sink in as a family activity. And yes, hunger definitely affects my grocery bills; I get all sorts of unreasonable cravings too haha. Thanks for sharing!

Keeping a weekly record sounds like a great way to stay on top of things! It doesn't hurt to keep yourselves accountable and it's eye-opening to see where your money goes. That's a funny tip about grocery shopping while hungry - I've been there and can testify that it results in some interesting purchases!
Hunger pangs definitely make you buy more than you need! I suppose everyone develops their own strategies to navigate this, and it's fascinating to hear how other families do it. It's encouraging to know that simple and consistent habits can make a big difference!

It's amazing what a bit of prior planning and some discipline can do. There are some great apps out there which can help with meal planning, budgeting, and grocery lists. Using one could be a good first step to ensure you only buy what you need, and also save some money on the side! It's also a good idea to keep the pantry stocked with healthy, filling options so hunger doesn't drive you to impulse buys.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu