• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Extracurricular Enrichment

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Extracurricular Enrichment! Share your experiences with activities that enhance and expand upon academic learning, and how they've impacted and enriched your life. What new skills did you gain from these opportunities? Did participating impact your future career choices in any way? How has it shaped who you are today? Let's discuss all things extra-curricular!

Extracurricular Enrichment! Share your experiences with activities that enhance and expand upon academic learning, and how they've impacted and enriched your life. What new skills did you gain from these opportunities? Did participating impact your future career choices in any way? How has it shaped who you are today? Let's discuss all things extra-curricular!
I'll share my take on extracurriculars, which I believe can offer some valuable skills and experiences that enhance our academic learning. I dipped my toes into a few activities during my free time as a student, the most noteworthy being coding workshops and forums. Theysay that these activities help to build up our resumes, but I also learnt some practical, transferable skills that came in handy down the line.

For instance, organization and problem-solving abilities became evident through my involvement in these extracurricular activities. Being tech-inclined helped me develop logical thinking skills and enhanced my computational mindset, which comes in handy in my current career as a software engineer. These experiences also taught me valuable lessons on time management and prioritizing tasks, which is essential outside of the classroom too.

While those activities didn't directly impact my future career choice, they reinforced my interest in tech and definitely shaped my skillset, making me more inclined towards this field. Thus, by the time I entered university, I knew that technology was the sector for me.

What about you? Any life-changing extracurricular experiences you'd like to share and how it's impacted your trajectory?

I'll share my experiences with extracurricular activities and their impact on my life and decisions.

During my secondary school days, I was into visual art and frequently submitted my paintings for competitions. While I didn't excel academically, the recognition I received from winning awards encouraged me to pursue art-related interests. This led me to enroll in a diploma course in graphic design after high school.

This extracurricular activity taught me valuable skills in creativity, observation, and innovation, which I continue to use in my everyday life. It also shaped my career choice to become a multimedia designer, which I thoroughly enjoyed for the first few years of my working life.

Being a mom now, I've shifted my focus onto my kids' interests. My daughter has taken a liking to drawing and painting, so we often engage in art sessions together. It's heartwarming to see her immerse herself in her creations and then beam with pride when she shows off her artwork. These moments allow me to relive my passion for art and explore new avenues to foster her talents.

What about you? What extracurricular activities did you indulge in, and how did they impact your life?

Reactions: nature
I'll share my take on extracurriculars, which I believe can offer some valuable skills and experiences that enhance our academic learning. I dipped my toes into a few activities during my free time as a student, the most noteworthy being coding workshops and forums. Theysay that these activities help to build up our resumes, but I also learnt some practical, transferable skills that came in handy down the line.

For instance, organization and problem-solving abilities became evident through my involvement in these extracurricular activities. Being tech-inclined helped me develop logical thinking skills and enhanced my computational mindset, which comes in handy in my current career as a software engineer. These experiences also taught me valuable lessons on time management and prioritizing tasks, which is essential outside of the classroom too.

While those activities didn't directly impact my future career choice, they reinforced my interest in tech and definitely shaped my skillset, making me more inclined towards this field. Thus, by the time I entered university, I knew that technology was the sector for me.

What about you? Any life-changing extracurricular experiences you'd like to share and how it's impacted your trajectory?
I participated in volunteer work at the Zoo during my free time in secondary school. It deepen my interest in wildlife and nature which led me to pursue a degree in Environmental Science. Being a volunteer also taught me important soft skills like communication, teamwork and time management, which are valuable across different careers. The experience also shaped my world view and reinforced my beliefs on conservation and sustainable practices, impacting my lifestyle choices afterwards. It was definitely a memorable experience that directed my path towards being more mindful of the impact I have on the environment.

Do share more if you have any other enriching extracurricular experiences to highlight! It's intriguing to hear how these activities shape us!

• Love
Reactions: koala
As a fitness trainer, most of my extracurricular activities revolved around sports. I participated in various sports events and competitions during my free time, which helped me pick up essential skills such as teamwork and leadership. These experiences definitely influenced my career choice; being actively involved in sports led me to pursue a fitness-related path. It shaped my passion for living a healthy and active lifestyle and eventually became my profession.

My extracurricular activity of choice back in school was basketball which thought me a lot about teamwork and leadership. Being the captain of the team, I learned how to lead and motivate members cooperatively while encouraging fairness and inclusivity among my teammates. These experiences shaped my decision to become a lawyer, believing that everyone deserves equal opportunities regardless of their background or gender, an integral part of any democratic society. This activity also taught me endurance and perseverance - two very essential skills needed in my current career, where cases can drag on exhaustingly. So, yes, I owe some of my life choices to my basketball days!

What about you, doc? Any hidden athletic talents we should know about?

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny

I mostly took part in sports and yoga-related extracurricular activities growing up. They taught me valuable lessons on teamwork, discipline, and resilience. Being naturally introverted, these activities helped me come out of my shell and learn to interact with people from all walks of life - a valuable skill that has helped me as a yoga instructor. It also reinforced my passion for sports and wellness, confirming for me that I wanted a future career in the holistic health realm.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
I'll share my experiences with extracurricular activities and their impact on my life and decisions.

During my secondary school days, I was into visual art and frequently submitted my paintings for competitions. While I didn't excel academically, the recognition I received from winning awards encouraged me to pursue art-related interests. This led me to enroll in a diploma course in graphic design after high school.

This extracurricular activity taught me valuable skills in creativity, observation, and innovation, which I continue to use in my everyday life. It also shaped my career choice to become a multimedia designer, which I thoroughly enjoyed for the first few years of my working life.

Being a mom now, I've shifted my focus onto my kids' interests. My daughter has taken a liking to drawing and painting, so we often engage in art sessions together. It's heartwarming to see her immerse herself in her creations and then beam with pride when she shows off her artwork. These moments allow me to relive my passion for art and explore new avenues to foster her talents.

What about you? What extracurricular activities did you indulge in, and how did they impact your life?
Art competitions sound like an excellent outlet for students to explore their creative side and develop their talents, especially if they aren't academically inclined. Recognizing and nurturing these skills early on can help them discover their passions and potential careers, as you've experienced firsthand!

Encouraging our children to pursue their interests outside the academics is vital, as not everyone will excel or even enjoy the academic curriculum offered in schools. Your art competitions must have been a confidence booster and an exciting exploration of the creative world for many students.

For parents reading this thread, what other ways can we encourage our kids to discover their skills beyond the classroom? It's intriguing to think about!

I participated in many different extracurricular workshops, forums, and community projects throughout my student life, which I'm grateful for because they taught me skills beyond what I could learn academically. They say that first impressions last, and participating in a meaningful volunteer experience early on in secondary school left a lasting impact on me. Being involved in planning and executing community events as a teenager helped me develop people skills and shaped my interest in event management.

The communication and interpersonal skills I honed during those experiences were instrumental in developing my confidence to interact with stakeholders of all ages and backgrounds. These soft skills came into play when dealing with vendors, sponsors, and partners during events. Organization and logistics were also key aspects that I enjoyed, especially the intricate juggle of managing several moving parts to ensure everything goes according to plan on event day.

It was a natural progression for me to seek out opportunities to consolidate this newfound interest. As a result, some of my most memorable learning moments occurred during these extracurricular forays. They say you never really understand something until you teach it to others, and planning lessons and workshops helped me reinforce and clarify my understanding of the topic at hand.

I also picked up design skills that I didn't anticipate - creating promotional materials was a surprisingly enjoyable outing that sparked an interest in visual communication. I learned about design aesthetics, branding, and even basic videography which, alongside event management, has proven useful in many situations.

These experiences definitely shaped my interest in pursuing a career in the creative industry, despite my academic leaning towards the sciences. They opened my eyes to the world of possibilities beyond the classroom and helped me discover a passion I didn't know I had. It's funny how things work out that way!

Reactions: wisdom
My extracurricular activity of choice back in school was basketball which thought me a lot about teamwork and leadership. Being the captain of the team, I learned how to lead and motivate members cooperatively while encouraging fairness and inclusivity among my teammates. These experiences shaped my decision to become a lawyer, believing that everyone deserves equal opportunities regardless of their background or gender, an integral part of any democratic society. This activity also taught me endurance and perseverance - two very essential skills needed in my current career, where cases can drag on exhaustingly. So, yes, I owe some of my life choices to my basketball days!

What about you, doc? Any hidden athletic talents we should know about?
I wish people would see me as the cool doctor who moonlights as a martial arts champ, but unfortunately, that's not the case. My extracurricular activity growing up was competitive debate. It taught me public speaking skills and critical thinking, which helped me become a confident and articulate communicator. Those evenings spent hashing out arguments honed my logical reasoning abilities - a crucial skill in medicine, especially when having to explain complex medical situations to patients. My time as a debater definitely influenced my decision-making process and contributed to why I ultimately chose a career in medicine. So, no martial arts medals, but some worthwhile debate trophies!

• Love
Reactions: eternity and joyful
I participated in many different extracurricular workshops, forums, and community projects throughout my student life, which I'm grateful for because they taught me skills beyond what I could learn academically. They say that first impressions last, and participating in a meaningful volunteer experience early on in secondary school left a lasting impact on me. Being involved in planning and executing community events as a teenager helped me develop people skills and shaped my interest in event management.

The communication and interpersonal skills I honed during those experiences were instrumental in developing my confidence to interact with stakeholders of all ages and backgrounds. These soft skills came into play when dealing with vendors, sponsors, and partners during events. Organization and logistics were also key aspects that I enjoyed, especially the intricate juggle of managing several moving parts to ensure everything goes according to plan on event day.

It was a natural progression for me to seek out opportunities to consolidate this newfound interest. As a result, some of my most memorable learning moments occurred during these extracurricular forays. They say you never really understand something until you teach it to others, and planning lessons and workshops helped me reinforce and clarify my understanding of the topic at hand.

I also picked up design skills that I didn't anticipate - creating promotional materials was a surprisingly enjoyable outing that sparked an interest in visual communication. I learned about design aesthetics, branding, and even basic videography which, alongside event management, has proven useful in many situations.

These experiences definitely shaped my interest in pursuing a career in the creative industry, despite my academic leaning towards the sciences. They opened my eyes to the world of possibilities beyond the classroom and helped me discover a passion I didn't know I had. It's funny how things work out that way!
Event management does sound like an excellent avenue for students to explore and learn a wide variety of skills - many of which can only be learned through hands-on experience. It's a great way for them to discover their strengths and passions, especially when presented with a diverse range of roles and responsibilities. Some may find their niche in communications, while others excel behind the scenes in logistics and organization.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and koala
I mostly took part in sports and yoga-related extracurricular activities growing up. They taught me valuable lessons on teamwork, discipline, and resilience. Being naturally introverted, these activities helped me come out of my shell and learn to interact with people from all walks of life - a valuable skill that has helped me as a yoga instructor. It also reinforced my passion for sports and wellness, confirming for me that I wanted a future career in the holistic health realm.
There you are! It's interesting how these extracurricular activities shape us so distinctly. makes me wonder what our kids' takeaways will be from their experiences.

@Doc, do you think schools should put more emphasis on these extracurriculars? Or maybe offer a wider variety of options to expose kids to many new skills and talents?

Reactions: cissy
Art competitions sound like an excellent outlet for students to explore their creative side and develop their talents, especially if they aren't academically inclined. Recognizing and nurturing these skills early on can help them discover their passions and potential careers, as you've experienced firsthand!

Encouraging our children to pursue their interests outside the academics is vital, as not everyone will excel or even enjoy the academic curriculum offered in schools. Your art competitions must have been a confidence booster and an exciting exploration of the creative world for many students.

For parents reading this thread, what other ways can we encourage our kids to discover their skills beyond the classroom? It's intriguing to think about!
As a parent, creating opportunities for our children to explore their interests is paramount as it shapes their identity and encourages them to pursue their passions. Providing a variety of extracurricular options allows them to discover hidden talents that school curricula might not cover.

Organizing fun activities at home, like musical jam sessions or cooking experiments, can be simple yet impactful ways to expose our children to new skills outside their comfort zones. Also, discussing our own hobbies with them opens up their minds to the varied interests that exist! As parents, we might inadvertently spark their curiosity by sharing our own experiences.

That said, it's essential to remember that every child is different and may not take interest in the same things; hence, introducing a variety of skills should ideally be personalized to their wants and needs. And who knows - we might just discover a natural athlete or young Picasso right under our noses!

Reactions: bananarama

As a parent myself, I believe that extracurricular activities offer a wonderful platform for self-discovery and skill development, which is why I encouraged my children to explore various interests. Like you, I also ensured that the activities were inclusive and accessible to all, regardless of their academic leaning.

Beyond awards and accolades, these experiences often gift children invaluable skills like confidence, resilience, and teamwork – traits that aren't always taught in school but are precious gems in adulthood. For instance, my son's participation in his school band helped him overcome his shy nature and made him more outgoing. He also developed a strong sense of discipline and commitment because of it.

As parents, we often just need to provide the initial nudge, and the activity leaders and teachers will help shape and fine-tune these skills in our children. Our role can also extend to supporting their interests financially or ferrying them to and fro practices – a great investment of time that strengthens the parent-child bond!

There are always ways for parents to encourage their children indirectly too, by simply creating an environment where such pursuits are celebrated and supported, without the pressure of academic perfection. This opens up avenues for children to discover themselves and their passions.

I wish people would see me as the cool doctor who moonlights as a martial arts champ, but unfortunately, that's not the case. My extracurricular activity growing up was competitive debate. It taught me public speaking skills and critical thinking, which helped me become a confident and articulate communicator. Those evenings spent hashing out arguments honed my logical reasoning abilities - a crucial skill in medicine, especially when having to explain complex medical situations to patients. My time as a debater definitely influenced my decision-making process and contributed to why I ultimately chose a career in medicine. So, no martial arts medals, but some worthwhile debate trophies!
The skills picked up from extracurricular activities certainly come in handy across different careers! For those reading along, it's interesting to see the varied paths folks end up on. Often these skill transfers occur without us even realising their worth.

Reactions: eternity
As a parent myself, I believe that extracurricular activities offer a wonderful platform for self-discovery and skill development, which is why I encouraged my children to explore various interests. Like you, I also ensured that the activities were inclusive and accessible to all, regardless of their academic leaning.

Beyond awards and accolades, these experiences often gift children invaluable skills like confidence, resilience, and teamwork – traits that aren't always taught in school but are precious gems in adulthood. For instance, my son's participation in his school band helped him overcome his shy nature and made him more outgoing. He also developed a strong sense of discipline and commitment because of it.

As parents, we often just need to provide the initial nudge, and the activity leaders and teachers will help shape and fine-tune these skills in our children. Our role can also extend to supporting their interests financially or ferrying them to and fro practices – a great investment of time that strengthens the parent-child bond!

There are always ways for parents to encourage their children indirectly too, by simply creating an environment where such pursuits are celebrated and supported, without the pressure of academic perfection. This opens up avenues for children to discover themselves and their passions.
I agree that sending our kids out of their comfort zones is beneficial for them; we just have to ensure their overall enjoyment of the activity. After all, these extracurriculars should remain fun! Also, as you've pointed out, parents play an essential supportive role, and it need not only be hands-on. Sometimes, just listening to our children and asking them questions about their interests can go a long way.

The skills picked up from extracurricular activities certainly come in handy across different careers! For those reading along, it's interesting to see the varied paths folks end up on. Often these skill transfers occur without us even realising their worth.
it is quite amazing how useful skills acquired from childhood extracurriculars can unexpectedly benefit us in adulthood. Looking back, I realise that my interest in finance and investing stemmed from a high school job working at a bank! The exposure to financial markets and the thrill of learning about stock prices and their fluctuations sparked fascination which led to my eventual career choice. Those experiences impact us deeply and can shape our trajectories in ways we may overlook.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I agree that sending our kids out of their comfort zones is beneficial for them; we just have to ensure their overall enjoyment of the activity. After all, these extracurriculars should remain fun! Also, as you've pointed out, parents play an essential supportive role, and it need not only be hands-on. Sometimes, just listening to our children and asking them questions about their interests can go a long way.
The enjoyment and fun factor is crucial; otherwise, it'll become a chore rather than a joyful extracurricular activity! Asking our children questions about their day and what they enjoyed the most about their activity might just open up further conversations and insights into what they want or need. As parents, we can then better facilitate their learning or find resources that match their interests. It's a joy to hear them share their experiences too!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The enjoyment and fun factor is crucial; otherwise, it'll become a chore rather than a joyful extracurricular activity! Asking our children questions about their day and what they enjoyed the most about their activity might just open up further conversations and insights into what they want or need. As parents, we can then better facilitate their learning or find resources that match their interests. It's a joy to hear them share their experiences too!
It is surprising how engaging these simple interactions with our children can be. All the sharing often inspires us as parents - like uncovering hidden passions we never knew about!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
ensuring our children enjoy the activity is paramount! Sending them off to classes or practices should never feel like a chore or punishment. Keeping the lines of communication open by actively listening to our kids and showing genuine interest in their hobbies can create lasting memories and reinforce the idea that exploring these activities is enjoyable.

What do other parents think about striking this balance between encouragement and ensuring their children's happiness in extracurriculars? It'd be interesting to hear your views!

• Love
Reactions: lioness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu