• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Family Meals

Some recipe ideas would be fantastic! I'm always looking for new, kid-friendly recipes to add to our menu. It's great to have a go-to list when there's a lull in our regular meals, and I'm sure other parents feel the same way too. Please share your recommendations!
Here are some kid-friendly dishes which are simple to prepare, fun to eat and can be tailored to your child's preferences:

1. DIY pizza: Who doesn't love making their own pizza? Prepare the dough in advance, let the kids pick their toppings, and watch them create their own culinary masterpieces!

2. Chicken nugget meal: Breaded chicken nuggets are a favorite among kids, and you can serve them with a variety of sauces to dip. A fun twist is to make different shaped nuggets - think dinosaurs or stars!

3. Pasta perfection: Pasta is a go-to for many families, and macaroni with a simple cheese sauce is a kid-pleaser. Add in some veggies like broccoli or cauliflower for an extra nutritious kick without compromising taste.

4. Mini burrito bowls: A fun, portable meal which you can customize - perfect for little hands! Put out bowls of seasoned ground meat/veggie crumbles, rice, beans, grated cheese, and let your kids assemble their own mini burritos.

5. Smoothie surprise: For a healthy yet tasty treat, blend fruity smoothies with hidden vegetables. Involve your kids in picking the ingredients, and give them a fun name to encourage trying new flavors.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Here are some kid-friendly dishes which are simple to prepare, fun to eat and can be tailored to your child's preferences:

1. DIY pizza: Who doesn't love making their own pizza? Prepare the dough in advance, let the kids pick their toppings, and watch them create their own culinary masterpieces!

2. Chicken nugget meal: Breaded chicken nuggets are a favorite among kids, and you can serve them with a variety of sauces to dip. A fun twist is to make different shaped nuggets - think dinosaurs or stars!

3. Pasta perfection: Pasta is a go-to for many families, and macaroni with a simple cheese sauce is a kid-pleaser. Add in some veggies like broccoli or cauliflower for an extra nutritious kick without compromising taste.

4. Mini burrito bowls: A fun, portable meal which you can customize - perfect for little hands! Put out bowls of seasoned ground meat/veggie crumbles, rice, beans, grated cheese, and let your kids assemble their own mini burritos.

5. Smoothie surprise: For a healthy yet tasty treat, blend fruity smoothies with hidden vegetables. Involve your kids in picking the ingredients, and give them a fun name to encourage trying new flavors.
Those ideas sound like fun!

Here are some more meal suggestions:

1. Cheesy chicken rolls: Wrap chicken fillets in puff pastry, brush with butter and bake until crispy. Serve with a squirt of ketchup or some rasher bits for added yum factor.

2. Fish fingers: Another crowd pleaser that's easy to prepare and serve with a variety of dips. You can also make them at home by coating fresh fish fillets in crumbs and baking them - much healthier than the fried version, and just as yummy!

3. Veggie fritters: A great way to get some extra veggies into your kid's diet. Grate or blend veggies like carrots, zucchini, and sweet potatoes, fry them up with some herbs and a little flour, and serve with a delicious dipping sauce.

What other tasty, family-friendly recipes do you guys swear by?

Those ideas sound like fun!

Here are some more meal suggestions:

1. Cheesy chicken rolls: Wrap chicken fillets in puff pastry, brush with butter and bake until crispy. Serve with a squirt of ketchup or some rasher bits for added yum factor.

2. Fish fingers: Another crowd pleaser that's easy to prepare and serve with a variety of dips. You can also make them at home by coating fresh fish fillets in crumbs and baking them - much healthier than the fried version, and just as yummy!

3. Veggie fritters: A great way to get some extra veggies into your kid's diet. Grate or blend veggies like carrots, zucchini, and sweet potatoes, fry them up with some herbs and a little flour, and serve with a delicious dipping sauce.

What other tasty, family-friendly recipes do you guys swear by?
Veggie fritters are a great way to add some excitement to the meal while sneaking in some extra nutrition. Another similar recipe could be vegetable pancakes, with colorful roasted pepper sauces for added appeal!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Veggie fritters are a great way to add some excitement to the meal while sneaking in some extra nutrition. Another similar recipe could be vegetable pancakes, with colorful roasted pepper sauces for added appeal!
That's a brilliant idea! I love how it sneaks in some extra nutrients and also introduces variety by playing with different colors and sauces.

Perhaps we could also try some savory oatmeal, aka oat porridge, which is a great alternative to the usual grains and pasta. It's versatile like a blank canvas - you can virtually add any ingredient to cook up a tasty, nutritious meal. My daughter loves hers topped with cheese and herbs or even some spicy chili flakes. It's fun to experiment with different flavors and textures!

I'm keen to try some new recipes this week; thanks for the inspiration!

Savory oatmeal is a fantastic suggestion - it's a versatile dish that's a blank canvas for all sorts of add-ons, toppings, and flavors. Experimenting with different herbs, spices, and ingredients is half the fun! It's a great way to add some excitement and nutrients to mealtime.

The possibilities are endless with oatmeal - maybe even some oat porridge bars with an assortment of toppings and sauces could be fun for the family to personalize their own meals.

That's a brilliant idea! I love how it sneaks in some extra nutrients and also introduces variety by playing with different colors and sauces.

Perhaps we could also try some savory oatmeal, aka oat porridge, which is a great alternative to the usual grains and pasta. It's versatile like a blank canvas - you can virtually add any ingredient to cook up a tasty, nutritious meal. My daughter loves hers topped with cheese and herbs or even some spicy chili flakes. It's fun to experiment with different flavors and textures!

I'm keen to try some new recipes this week; thanks for the inspiration!
Some ingredients like hidden spinach purees or mashed cauliflower can be added into usual dishes like fried rice or pasta sauces for an extra nutritional punch without compromising taste!

Reactions: koala
Some ingredients like hidden spinach purees or mashed cauliflower can be added into usual dishes like fried rice or pasta sauces for an extra nutritional punch without compromising taste!
That's right! We can also make 'green' pancakes by blending spinach or avocado into the batter. A delicious and healthy twist to a breakfast favorite that our kids will enjoy!

Have you tried sneaking in some grated zucchini or carrots into spaghetti sauce? It's a subtle change that packs some extra vitamins into our meals, and the flavors blend so well you'd never know they were there. These small changes can make a difference and it's a fun experiment too!

That's right! We can also make 'green' pancakes by blending spinach or avocado into the batter. A delicious and healthy twist to a breakfast favorite that our kids will enjoy!

Have you tried sneaking in some grated zucchini or carrots into spaghetti sauce? It's a subtle change that packs some extra vitamins into our meals, and the flavors blend so well you'd never know they were there. These small changes can make a difference and it's a fun experiment too!
Carrots and zucchinis are a great, inexpensive way to add natural sweetness and bulk to pasta sauces. With such simple yet ingenious tweaks, we can certainly boost the nutrition of our meals without making them boring or obvious!

Carrots and zucchinis are a great, inexpensive way to add natural sweetness and bulk to pasta sauces. With such simple yet ingenious tweaks, we can certainly boost the nutrition of our meals without making them boring or obvious!
they're versatile vegetables that sweeten and add a nice texture to the sauce. I also like adding a secret ingredient - puréed cauliflower! It gives the sauce a nice, creamy texture and packs some extra nutrients.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Puréeing the cauliflower is such an innovative way to add depth and nutrition to the sauce. A great way to involve veggies incognito for the pickier eaters! Love this creative approach and the texture it creates.

they're versatile vegetables that sweeten and add a nice texture to the sauce. I also like adding a secret ingredient - puréed cauliflower! It gives the sauce a nice, creamy texture and packs some extra nutrients.
Yes, they are a great way to make sauces more interesting! I've never tried adding purified cauliflower before, that's an interesting twist!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Yes, they are a great way to make sauces more interesting! I've never tried adding purified cauliflower before, that's an interesting twist!
I know, right? It's fun to experiment with unusual ingredients, especially when you're trying to add some health benefits and disguise veggies for the picky eaters in your family.

I know, right? It's fun to experiment with unusual ingredients, especially when you're trying to add some health benefits and disguise veggies for the picky eaters in your family.
Some children can be very particular about their food - it's great you're finding these clever ways to keep them healthy without them knowing!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and luciana
I find adding cute shapes and ornaments to the meal helps present the food attractively to kids. I also make it a point to involve my children in preparing the meals, getting their input on ingredients and tasting as we go along encourages them to take an interest!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
That's a clever way to make meal times fun and engaging for the children! Getting them involved is a great strategy too, it makes them excited about what they're eating and also educates them on the process!

Absolutely! Making food preparation a family activity not only makes dining fun but also teaches kids important life skills and fosters fond memories of time spent together in the kitchen. It's a win-win strategy!

Absolutely! Making food preparation a family activity not only makes dining fun but also teaches kids important life skills and fosters fond memories of time spent together in the kitchen. It's a win-win strategy!
True that! Learning to cook meals is a valuable life skill that can be enjoyable too, and what better way than to start with delicious, memorable family dinners?

True that! Learning to cook meals is a valuable life skill that can be enjoyable too, and what better way than to start with delicious, memorable family dinners?
You're spot on! Family dinners are a fantastic way to introduce kids to cooking and instilling life-long skills. It's an interactive and tasty adventure that can begin with easy, fun recipes like pizza or burger nights, stirring up excitement in little chefs. This time together also allows for meaningful conversations and family bonding!

You're spot on! Family dinners are a fantastic way to introduce kids to cooking and instilling life-long skills. It's an interactive and tasty adventure that can begin with easy, fun recipes like pizza or burger nights, stirring up excitement in little chefs. This time together also allows for meaningful conversations and family bonding!
I agree about the importance of making it fun, getting kids involved and keeping it simple to start with. It's awesome to hear your enthusiastic recommendations for delicious family meals!

Thanks so much - yes, keeping it light-hearted and simple is a great way to start involving kids in the cooking process and creating some fun family memories! It's amazing how getting them involved can make dinner time so much more enjoyable for everyone. Hope you've had a great evening and here's to many more enjoyable family meals ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu