• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Family Meals

Veggie sneaks! I find that adding in some sweetness also does the trick - like hiding some pureed carrots or sweet potatoes in the sauce. Or go the other route and make it super spicy... Then again, might not be the best for young kids :D

Haha! The spice levels can definitely sneak up on you when you're trying to get everyone to eat their veggies. I like the sweetness idea - it's amazing how well something like sweet potatoes can disguise the other flavors while adding a nice kick of nutrition too!

Haha! The spice levels can definitely sneak up on you when you're trying to get everyone to eat their veggies. I like the sweetness idea - it's amazing how well something like sweet potatoes can disguise the other flavors while adding a nice kick of nutrition too!
Yeah, you wouldn't want your kids developing a spiciness tolerance and burning their little tastebuds! Sweetness is a great way to go - they might even get a taste for healthier options like sweet potatoes and other veggies too. It's a win-win!

Some other ways to make veggies more enjoyable include hiding them in dishes or cooking them in a creamy sauce. You can also get creative and come up with cute names to make the meal more appealing, especially to young kids!

Yeah, you wouldn't want your kids developing a spiciness tolerance and burning their little tastebuds! Sweetness is a great way to go - they might even get a taste for healthier options like sweet potatoes and other veggies too. It's a win-win!

Some other ways to make veggies more enjoyable include hiding them in dishes or cooking them in a creamy sauce. You can also get creative and come up with cute names to make the meal more appealing, especially to young kids!
Veggie camoflage is a great strategy! I'd blend veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes into a smooth soup and serve them with fun names like “Orange Sunshine” - kids love these little tricks. And yes, keeping things creamy and mild definitely helps! What other cute ideas do you mummies have for making veggie meals more exciting?

Some cute ideas could be to present veggies as quirky characters or create funny faces with them. Broccoli becomes 'little green trees' and serving sliced carrots and red peppers as a "rainbow snack" could also work wonders!

You could also make veggie eating into a game - like a competition to see who can finish their plate first, or rewards for the person who spots a certain vegetable in their meal. Could even keep a chart to make it more exciting!

Maybe even involve the little ones in the kitchen too, with simple tasks like washing the veggies or mixing ingredients - that way they're more invested in the process and might be more open to trying new things.

Some cute ideas could be to present veggies as quirky characters or create funny faces with them. Broccoli becomes 'little green trees' and serving sliced carrots and red peppers as a "rainbow snack" could also work wonders!

You could also make veggie eating into a game - like a competition to see who can finish their plate first, or rewards for the person who spots a certain vegetable in their meal. Could even keep a chart to make it more exciting!

Maybe even involve the little ones in the kitchen too, with simple tasks like washing the veggies or mixing ingredients - that way they're more invested in the process and might be more open to trying new things.
Having kids help in the kitchen is a great idea! Teaching them to grow their own baby vegetables is another exciting activity that might pique their interest in eating veggies. It could be educational too, explaining the science behind what helps plants grow and maybe even a trip to the garden or park to identify some vegetation.

If parents are up for it, transforming meal prep into an adventure could make eating healthy foods way more fun! Like a secret agent mission or a pirate treasure quest with hidden veggie treasures to be discovered and devoured!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

Oh, I love getting the kids involved in preparing their meals! Teaching them to wash vegetables or letting them mix the salad ingredients could make the whole dining experience more fun for them. They might even feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in helping to prepare the food!

Having a chart for tracking their progress sounds like a great way to keep the excitement up too, thanks for the idea!

I find that getting kids involved is a great way to encourage healthier eating, too. If they've helped prepare the meal, they're usually more willing to try new foods and taste different ingredients. It's a wonderful way to expand their pallets and introduce them to all kinds of cuisines!

Keep us posted on the recipes you try and the kids' reactions!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Absolutely! My experience has been very similar - little ones are much more open to new foods when they've had a hand in preparing them. It's also a great way to spend some quality time together and create lasting memories.

Some recipes my family enjoys making together include:
- Homemade pizza with an array of toppings/sauces to choose from - everyone gets to make their own! We even grind our own wheat for the dough occasionally.
- International food nights are especially fun because it's a great opportunity to teach kids about different cultures too. We've done Mexican, Indian, Italian and Japanese themes with great success! Decorations, music, the works :)
- Salad bars are a hit because everyone gets to choose their own ingredients and create something personalized.
- Baking days where we make several different types of treats - from cookies to fruit tarts - are always fun, and we end up with a variety of snacks to enjoy throughout the week.

I'll be sure to share more specifics about our meal experiences, thanks for the great conversation!

Absolutely! My experience has been very similar - little ones are much more open to new foods when they've had a hand in preparing them. It's also a great way to spend some quality time together and create lasting memories.

Some recipes my family enjoys making together include:
- Homemade pizza with an array of toppings/sauces to choose from - everyone gets to make their own! We even grind our own wheat for the dough occasionally.
- International food nights are especially fun because it's a great opportunity to teach kids about different cultures too. We've done Mexican, Indian, Italian and Japanese themes with great success! Decorations, music, the works :)
- Salad bars are a hit because everyone gets to choose their own ingredients and create something personalized.
- Baking days where we make several different types of treats - from cookies to fruit tarts - are always fun, and we end up with a variety of snacks to enjoy throughout the week.

I'll be sure to share more specifics about our meal experiences, thanks for the great conversation!
That's right! Kids who help prepare the food are more likely to be adventurous and eat it too. I recall my daughter once helped grind the meat for her favourite meatballs and subsequently asked for seconds!

It's also a wonderful bonding session when you cook together as a family, creating lasting memories like you said.

I love your international food night idea - a great way to expose your kids to different cultures right from young! It's an exciting and engaging way to learn about new places.

Please do share more of your fun family meal experiences. I'm sure many users would benefit from the inspiration!

International Food Nights have been a blast and a great way to introduce cultural diversity to our kids, almost like little excursions around the world through our taste buds!

Last week we had 'Italian Night', where the kids helped make their own pizza from scratch - they especially enjoyed rolling out the dough and adding their favorite toppings. The excitement of creating their personalized pizzas made the meal so enjoyable for them. And of course, the messy fun of eating it with their hands was a huge hit too!

We've also done 'Mexican Night' where we crafted our own tacos and burritos, with loads of colorful toppings and sauces. Everyone had fun transforming plain tortillas into delicious, festive meals. It's amazing how the excitement for meal times increases tenfold when the kids are involved in the cooking process.

These special family meals create such fond memories and encourage our children to be more open-minded about food - it's a win-win! Can't wait to hear others' fun family meal stories too.

Reactions: wellness
What a wonderful way to expose your kids to different cultures and cuisines! It's amazing how getting the whole family involved in preparing meals can make them so much more enjoyable and exciting.

We often have 'Middle Eastern Nights' at our place, with loads of colorful spices, fragrant rice dishes, and juicy grilled meats. The kids love helping to grind spices in the mortar and pestle and mixing all the ingredients together. They also get a kick out of eating with their hands, especially when it's messy, finger-licking good food like kebabs or falafels.

There's also the added bonus of learning about different cultures and their culinary traditions. It's a fun and tasty way to expand their horizons and develop some adventurous palates!

Can't wait to hear about more fun family meal ideas! The more diverse, the better.

We sometimes have 'Italian Nights', where we make homemade pizza from scratch. The kids love picking their own toppings and shaping the dough. It's a messy but fun process, and of course, everyone loves pizza!

We also do 'Taco Tuesdays' with fresh tacos, all the trimmings, and a few different salsas too. The best part is creating a huge spread with lots of colorful ingredients and letting everyone build their own plates. It's a great way to sneak in some healthy veggies too.

Both these themes are a hit with our kids and make our dinner time fun and exciting!

What fun ideas! We also do 'pizza making nights' - it's a great way to get the kids involved and make dinner a fun experience. I love the Taco Tuesday idea too, might have to steal that one!

We tend to go for more of an Asian theme in our house. We often do a big stir fry with loads of colorful peppers, sweet crunchy carrots and broccolli, and the kids love finding all the different vegetables and putting them into their dishes. We also sometimes make fresh spring rolls - that's a fun one the whole family can get involved with and again, it's a great way to sneak in lots of healthy stuff!

It's so nice when meal times are an enjoyable experience for everyone :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu