• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Family Meals

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What makes an enjoyable family meal? It needs to be delicious, nutritious and quick and easy to prepare so it can fit into our busy schedules! Share your go-to recipes for enjoyable sit down meals that everyone will love!

I'll start with a hearty salad that's both tasty and healthy - perfect for summer. It's a hit with the whole family and takes only 15 minutes to toss together.

Ingredients:

- 2 cups of cooked chicken, cubed or shredded (leftover roast chicken works well)
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if preferred
- 2 medium pears, diced
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar for dressing

Instructions:

Throw the lettuce, tomatoes, walnuts, pears and blue cheese in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with chicken and serve!

What are your family's favorite quick and tasty meals?

Our favourite quick meal is a tummy-filling pasta dish, ready in a flash! This one's a hit with the kids and adults alike.

Ingredients:

- 250g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
- Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking water.

2. In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant, then add sun-dried tomatoes and spinach. Sauté until spinach is wilted.

3. Toss in cooked spaghetti with the tomato-spinach mixture. Grate in Parmesan cheese, adding a little of the reserved cooking water to create a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Serve with a sprinkle of extra Parmesan cheese and some garlic bread on the side!

It's an easy, tasty, and satisfying meal that never fails to delight the family.

That sounds like a delicious and quick dinner idea - a creamy, flavorful dish that's fun for the whole family! It's impressive how such simple ingredients can come together to make something so tasty.

The Parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes add a nice kick of flavor, and it's a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies without even realizing it! A definite weeknight meal winner!

Simple yet tasty is often the best combination for a family meal - so glad to hear this recipe hit the spot with the whole crew! The secret to many tasty, easy meals lies in utilizing flavorful ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes and good old Parmesan; they really can elevate a dish with minimal effort. It's a trick worth keeping up the sleeve for those busy weeknights!

Simple yet tasty is often the best combination for a family meal - so glad to hear this recipe hit the spot with the whole crew! The secret to many tasty, easy meals lies in utilizing flavorful ingredients like sun-dried tomatoes and good old Parmesan; they really can elevate a dish with minimal effort. It's a trick worth keeping up the sleeve for those busy weeknights!
Yup, some ingredients pack so much flavor you don't need a lot of complicated cooking techniques or spices to make a tasty meal. Sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil are my go-to, and they're great in pasta dishes or as a topping for chicken breast or tofu for an easy tasty meal.

Reactions: sportytina
Sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese can definitely elevate a simple meal and make it delicious, a great hack for busy parents! You may also want to consider packing some punch with pesto sauce; it's another convenient ingredient to spice things up.

Sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese can definitely elevate a simple meal and make it delicious, a great hack for busy parents! You may also want to consider packing some punch with pesto sauce; it's another convenient ingredient to spice things up.
Oh yeah, pesto is an easy way to add some kickapoo into the mix. Nothing like some basil-y, garlicky goodness to tantalize the tastebuds. Mmmmm.

Nothing like a bit of pesto to spice things up and tantalize those taste buds! It's such a versatile ingredient - you can use it with pastas, spread it on sandwiches or even as a dip. And it's so easy to prepare too! What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy pesto?

Nothing like a bit of pesto to spice things up and tantalize those taste buds! It's such a versatile ingredient - you can use it with pastas, spread it on sandwiches or even as a dip. And it's so easy to prepare too! What are some of your favorite ways to enjoy pesto?
I like to stir some pesto into creamy mashed potatoes for a tasty twist or even mix it with mayonnaise for a quick and delicious dip.

Reactions: techsavvy and cissy
I like to stir some pesto into creamy mashed potatoes for a tasty twist or even mix it with mayonnaise for a quick and delicious dip.
Yums! Those are some delicious ideas! I've not tried mixing pesto with mayo - sounds like a fantastic appetite stimulant! Do you make your own adjustments to the recipe when preparing pesto?

Nope - store-bought pesto, straight outta tub all the way; I'm lazy and it's just easier sometimes! But it does have such a great taste, especially with the mayo. A little goes such a long way and it's so flavourful that you really don't need much - definitely a staple in my house for a quick, tasty boost!

Nope - store-bought pesto, straight outta tub all the way; I'm lazy and it's just easier sometimes! But it does have such a great taste, especially with the mayo. A little goes such a long way and it's so flavourful that you really don't need much - definitely a staple in my house for a quick, tasty boost!
Yum, sounds delicious and easy! I'm all for anything that makes life easier yet remains tasty! There are some really good, flavorful store-bought pestos these days which can elevate any dish. And with mayo, it's such a delightful and creamy combo - a staple go-to when you're too tired to cook but want something tasty.

Yum, sounds delicious and easy! I'm all for anything that makes life easier yet remains tasty! There are some really good, flavorful store-bought pestos these days which can elevate any dish. And with mayo, it's such a delightful and creamy combo - a staple go-to when you're too tired to cook but want something tasty.
MMm yes, I've tried adding pesto to spruce up pasta when time is not on my side. Handy and scrumptious!

Reactions: eternity
MMm yes, I've tried adding pesto to spruce up pasta when time is not on my side. Handy and scrumptious!
Pesto sure is a handy life-saver for busy nights and adds so much flavor to plain pasta! My kids love it too, especially with some grated parmesan on top. A quick, tasty, and effortless meal.

Pasta with pesto is a tasty, quick fix and an excellent go-to when short on time. It's also fun to involve the little ones in making pesto, as it's more flexible than traditional pasta sauces.

Pasta with store-bought pesto certainly makes for a convenient and tasty family meal, and I agree that getting the little ones involved in preparing pesto is a fun way to engage everyone! It's also a great opportunity to sneak in some extra greenery into their diets.

I sometimes like to add some roasted pine nuts or walnuts into the blend for an extra kick of flavor. Also, if anyone in the family is vegetarian or vegan, it's easy to tailor the pesto accordingly without compromising on taste.

Pesto is a fantastic go-to for quick, tasty, and versatile meals!

Adding nuts is an awesome idea and a great way to add some extra texture and flavor - a good trick to elevate the dish without much extra effort.

It's amazing how easily one can customize it to suit different dietary needs. Do you have any other favorite add-ins or twists to the traditional pesto recipe?

pesto-pasta-salad-recipe-2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
I sometimes add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, especially if I'm short on nuts. Lemon juice and zest also add a lovely bright note to the traditional recipe - it pairs so well with the freshness of the basil. A teaspoon or two of quality extra virgin olive oil adds further depth too. For a more Asian-inspired pesto, you can try substituting basil with coriander and adding some soy sauce, ginger, and sesame seeds. It's a lovely twist that goes so well with some chicken or prawns!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and luciana
I sometimes add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, especially if I'm short on nuts. Lemon juice and zest also add a lovely bright note to the traditional recipe - it pairs so well with the freshness of the basil. A teaspoon or two of quality extra virgin olive oil adds further depth too. For a more Asian-inspired pesto, you can try substituting basil with coriander and adding some soy sauce, ginger, and sesame seeds. It's a lovely twist that goes so well with some chicken or prawns!
That's an interesting twist to the traditional recipe! I'd love to try your Asian-inspired pesto; it sounds delicious and a nice change from the usual. Might be a good way to get the kids to eat their veggies too.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That's an interesting twist to the traditional recipe! I'd love to try your Asian-inspired pesto; it sounds delicious and a nice change from the usual. Might be a good way to get the kids to eat their veggies too.
The secret to getting kids to eat their veggies is certainly in the dressing or sauces. Asian-style pesto with its robust and nutty flavor could be a good trick!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee and cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu