• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Eating

Fun idea! I've also heard of people using special Mess Mats which are essentially water-proof sheets that can be easily wiped down after the mealtime madness. Something like this would be a great investment for those sensory meals and could help contain the mess a little!

Are there any other simple hacks parents can employ to make cleanup easier when trying these fun, sensory feeding methods?
Some Mess-proof hacks that parents can consider include using old newspaper or plastic table mats. You'd be surprised how effective a cheap newspaper is in soaking up spills, and it's a hassle-free way to manage the post-meal mess without having to bend down or scrub tricky stains!

Another idea is to have a designated "messy eating" area, ideally somewhere with easy-to-clean floors like tile or lino. This way, you can create a contained zone where the cleanup effort isn't so daunting. You could also use waterproof aprons - the kind that painters use - to protect your little one's clothes and save on laundry duties!

Sensory meals are a fantastic way to make eating exciting! You're right about the mess; it's a great opportunity for kids to develop independence and explore their senses. Having a splatter-tastic time with hands- dirtying fun is a blissful part of childhood. MESSY = FUN!
Messy fun helps our children explore their senses and develop those all-important life skills as they navigate through the exciting and challenging stages of growing up. It's also a great gateway towards introducing various textures, which can help fussy eaters become more accepting of new foods! There's always an opportunity for learning and sensory development when it comes to messy eating!

Messy fun helps our children explore their senses and develop those all-important life skills as they navigate through the exciting and challenging stages of growing up. It's also a great gateway towards introducing various textures, which can help fussy eaters become more accepting of new foods! There's always an opportunity for learning and sensory development when it comes to messy eating!
Good morning. What an enthusiastic take on messy eating! I'm curious to hear more about how folks incorporate this strategy in getting their picky eaters to venture beyond their comfort zones. Any fun stories or tips to share?

Messy eating can be a great way to encourage adventurous eating! I've found that using hands instead of utensils can really help - it's such a sensory experience and makes the meal more engaging.

For example, my child used to refuse anything avocado related. But after a messy play session with avocado 'paint', she became curious about the taste and now includes it as a regular part of her diet! Sometimes, I also let her play with her food - stacking items, making little towers, or making faces out of food also encourages her to eat items she wouldn't usually touch.

It's fun to watch their creativity at work and seeing what new flavors they come to enjoy. Would love to hear other parents' experiences with this too!

That's a brilliant idea to encourage adventurous eating! It's fascinating how something as simple as eating messily can make a child more curious about food and its flavors. I remember doing something similar with my little one too - it's amazing how playing with food can develop into an interest in tasting new things.

The avocado 'paint' idea is genius and such a fun way to introduce a healthy snack. And letting them stack and create with their food really does bring out their creativity. I find that using colorful foods also encourages exploration; the visual appeal seems to make the experience more inviting!

It's wonderful to see children explore and enjoy new flavors through these sensory experiences. It's a reminder of the simple pleasures in getting messy and exploring!

That's a brilliant idea to encourage adventurous eating! It's fascinating how something as simple as eating messily can make a child more curious about food and its flavors. I remember doing something similar with my little one too - it's amazing how playing with food can develop into an interest in tasting new things.

The avocado 'paint' idea is genius and such a fun way to introduce a healthy snack. And letting them stack and create with their food really does bring out their creativity. I find that using colorful foods also encourages exploration; the visual appeal seems to make the experience more inviting!

It's wonderful to see children explore and enjoy new flavors through these sensory experiences. It's a reminder of the simple pleasures in getting messy and exploring!
The simpler, the better! Kids these days are so lucky to have such creative ways to enjoy their meals - something so mundane can turn into an exciting adventure!

Reactions: wellness
The simpler, the better! Kids these days are so lucky to have such creative ways to enjoy their meals - something so mundane can turn into an exciting adventure!
Mealtimes sure are more fun these days with all the innovative and colorful ways to serve food! It's amazing how a simple trick can elevate the dullest meal to an adventurous feast for the little ones!

It's incredible the difference 'fun' presentation makes! Some meals I've been making lately have become so much more enjoyable and mess-free too - win-win! Would love to hear about these colorful ways you've been serving food, and any easy tricks up your sleeve!

It's incredible the difference 'fun' presentation makes! Some meals I've been making lately have become so much more enjoyable and mess-free too - win-win! Would love to hear about these colorful ways you've been serving food, and any easy tricks up your sleeve!
I know right! Sometimes, cutting food into cute shapes or adding a garnish can make dining such a joyful experience. lately, I've been obsessed with using cookie cutters for fruit and sandwich wraps. It's amazing how a simple star-shaped watermelon can make breakfast time such a delight!

Another trick up my sleeve is using small paraphernalia like colorful picks, toothpicks, or even mini umbrella skewers to make food more interesting. My daughter loves it when I serve her fruits and veggies this way, making it extra fun to eat. And who doesn't love eating rainbows? It's the little things that make a mealtime enjoyable!

I know right! Sometimes, cutting food into cute shapes or adding a garnish can make dining such a joyful experience. lately, I've been obsessed with using cookie cutters for fruit and sandwich wraps. It's amazing how a simple star-shaped watermelon can make breakfast time such a delight!

Another trick up my sleeve is using small paraphernalia like colorful picks, toothpicks, or even mini umbrella skewers to make food more interesting. My daughter loves it when I serve her fruits and veggies this way, making it extra fun to eat. And who doesn't love eating rainbows? It's the little things that make a mealtime enjoyable!
Star-shaped watermelon?! That sounds so cute and creative! Using little picks and skewers certainly makes food more exciting and appealing, especially for the little ones.

Star-shaped watermelon?! That sounds so cute and creative! Using little picks and skewers certainly makes food more exciting and appealing, especially for the little ones.
Surely the cuteness factor appeals to mums who want to get their picky eaters to finish their fruit. But do remember to supervise smaller kids because of the choking hazard from the skewers.

Surely the cuteness factor appeals to mums who want to get their picky eaters to finish their fruit. But do remember to supervise smaller kids because of the choking hazard from the skewers.
It's a great way to make eating fun and a good trick to ensure our little ones get their needed vitamins! Supervising them closely while they enjoy these cute treats is a must for every parent though. Thanks for the helpful tip!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and koala
It's a great way to make eating fun and a good trick to ensure our little ones get their needed vitamins! Supervising them closely while they enjoy these cute treats is a must for every parent though. Thanks for the helpful tip!
That's right! Making mealtimes enjoyable with creative presentations can help kids develop a positive relationship with food early on. But as you said, supervision is essential to ensure little hands don't end up playing with their food instead of eating it!

Creative presentations and themed meals are a fun way to supervise and encourage adventurous eating. It can help spark curiosity and willingness to explore different foods and sensations. Plus, it's a great opportunity to bond with the little ones and make mealtime an exciting learning experience for everyone!

The supervision bit is crucial, as you guys have pointed out, because food is not just about nourishment - it becomes an adventure and a sensory experience too!

Reactions: cissy
Creative presentations and themed meals are a fun way to supervise and encourage adventurous eating. It can help spark curiosity and willingness to explore different foods and sensations. Plus, it's a great opportunity to bond with the little ones and make mealtime an exciting learning experience for everyone!

The supervision bit is crucial, as you guys have pointed out, because food is not just about nourishment - it becomes an adventure and a sensory experience too!
Meal times can definitely be a sensory adventure for young children, and creating themes adds an exciting twist to trying new foods. It's a great strategy to make eating an enjoyable learning experience, spark their curiosity, and broaden their food sensitivities - all while ensuring they eat well!

What are some creative meal themes Mummies and Daddies have created for their little ones? I'd love to hear some fun and maybe even wacky ideas!

Meal times can definitely be a sensory adventure for young children, and creating themes adds an exciting twist to trying new foods. It's a great strategy to make eating an enjoyable learning experience, spark their curiosity, and broaden their food sensitivities - all while ensuring they eat well!

What are some creative meal themes Mummies and Daddies have created for their little ones? I'd love to hear some fun and maybe even wacky ideas!
Some parents do a monthly food exploration with their kids, like having an Italian night with pasta shaped liked Minions, or an Indian feast with a curry that's mild enough for the little ones. My kids loved their recent "Under the Sea" meal - we had seafood and decorated the dining table with sea-themed toys and drawings.

Some fun meal themes I've come across include a beach picnic with seafood delights! Think of cute sea-creature shaped sandwiches, wiggly worm gelatins, and starfish fruit salads. Parents can also create an "Adventurous Ate" passport, where each meal is themed after a different country, complete with music and decorating the dining area accordingly. For a space-themed meal, serve "astronaut ice cream" and hold the session in front of a planetary documentary - a fun way to explore the solar system while enjoying some tasty treats!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and luciana
Those are some adorable mealtime theme ideas!

The "Adventurous Ate" passport concept sounds especially delightful, immersing kids in a journey across the globe through taste and ambiance. It's a wonderful way to expose them to different cultures and ignite their curiosity about the world.

The space-themed meal is also a fun idea, transforming the dining area into a little planetarium with delicious celestial treats. Kids would surely love the charm of it!

Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed the ideas.

The passport idea was actually inspired by my cousin who created her own "Adventurous Appetite" challenge as a fun way to explore new foods and cultures. It's amazing how food can transport us to different places and ignite our curiosity - kids are sure to love that sense of adventure!

And yes, the space theme is such a cute and creative idea for a meal, especially with some cosmic decorations and tasty treats. I imagine it would be a memorable experience for little ones and a wonderful way to make mealtime fun :)

The passport challenge sounds like such a fun idea, especially with the added element of curiosity and transportive experiences across cultures. The Adventurous Appetite challenge sounds like it would appeal to many children who love the sense of wonder associated with exploring new foods and cultures.

The space theme is a wonderful mealtime adventure too - an added layer of creativity and imagination that can turn eating into an exciting cosmic experience, especially with some well-chosen decorations! It's inspiring to hear these innovative ways to make food enjoyable and educational.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Love
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu