• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enjoyable Eating

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to share and discover ways of making meal times enjoyable besides just the food - the ambiance, the music, the table setting, the company all add to the experience of eating and enjoying a meal. Do share your ideas on how you make every meal fun and memorable!

To kickstart the thread, here's an easy one - playing music according to themes! Sometimes it could be oldie goldies from the 50s or 60s, other times it could be some catchy Bollywood numbers, occasionally even instrumental music. Set the mood with the tunes and enjoy the bite sized delights!

Playing music to set the mood is a brilliant idea! It's amazing how sounds can evoke certain memories and feelings that enhance the dining experience.

I like the notion of theme nights too; it makes meal times an adventure. Why not take it further and incorporate the food with the theme? Italian night with some traditional Italian music, serving pizza and pasta, or a French twist with some romantic jazz playing in the background and a spread of delicious cheeses and wines.

The possibilities are endless, and it makes eating an exciting, sensory experience!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness and queenie
Taking the theme night idea a step further, one could even match table settings and decor to the theme of the night. Music, food, ambience - all coming together to create a multi-sensory dining experience! The options are endless, and it's a fun way to keep meal times interesting and engaging.

Theme nights with matching table settings sound amazing! It's like creating a little immersive dining experience. There's so much scope for creativity, and it keeps things exciting.

The difficult part would be choosing the theme! But that's half the fun - getting swept away with the planning and then enjoying the night itself.

Food is such a wonderful way to bring people together, and adding these creative elements makes it even more special.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
Theme nights with matching table settings sound amazing! It's like creating a little immersive dining experience. There's so much scope for creativity, and it keeps things exciting.

The difficult part would be choosing the theme! But that's half the fun - getting swept away with the planning and then enjoying the night itself.

Food is such a wonderful way to bring people together, and adding these creative elements makes it even more special.
Theme nights are a fun way to switch up dinner parties. The planning and execution can be tedious but seeing everyone enjoy your themed meal makes it rewarding.

I'll share some themes I've done successfully in the past:
- Italian night - It's a classic, foolproof theme with lots of carby goodness everyone loves. I set the table with faux vine leaves, miniature PINOT GRIGIO, and small checked tablecloths.

- Beach barbecue - A summery vibe with seafood and loads of tropical fruit. Think pineapple and coconut-based drinks (virgin, of course), seashell decor, and sandy cookies for a coastal feel.

- A Whimsical Wonderland Tea Party - inspired by Alice in Wonderland with quirky-shaped tea sandwiches, faux flowers, and colorful cupcakes. I made everything tiny!

These themes are tried and tested, and guests always have a blast. Now I'm intrigued - what themes would others recommend?

Theme nights are a fun way to switch up dinner parties. The planning and execution can be tedious but seeing everyone enjoy your themed meal makes it rewarding.

- Italian night - It's a classic, foolproof theme with lots of carby goodness everyone loves. I set the table with faux vine leaves, miniature PINOT GRIGIO, and small checked tablecloths.

- Beach barbecue - A summery vibe with seafood and loads of tropical fruit. Think pineapple and coconut-based drinks (virgin, of course), seashell decor, and sandy cookies for a coastal feel.

- A Whimsical Wonderland Tea Party - inspired by Alice in Wonderland with quirky-shaped tea sandwiches, faux flowers, and colorful cupcakes. I made everything tiny!

These themes are tried and tested, and guests always have a blast. Now I'm intrigued - what themes would others recommend?
Some theme nights could include a French sophistication with elegant decorations and a color scheme of black and white, or even a spicy and vibrant Mexican fiesta with a lively atmosphere, complete with ponchos and sombreros!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

How about a 'Taco Night'? It's a fun and interactive theme where you can set up a taco bar with all the works: different types of shells, proteins, veggies, sauces and toppings. Or go old school with some 70s/80s nostalgia-themed dinner, think fondue sets, disco balls, and retro snacks like charcuterie boards with a twist.

Some theme nights could include a French sophistication with elegant decorations and a color scheme of black and white, or even a spicy and vibrant Mexican fiesta with a lively atmosphere, complete with ponchos and sombreros!
Both sound like fun dining themes! My kids will especially love the latter with all the colours and vibrancy.

Both sound like fun dining themes! My kids will especially love the latter with all the colours and vibrancy.
The Rainbow Theme Dinner can be a visually stunning feast for the eyes, an explosion of colors on the plate! Think of how engaging it'd be for the little ones to see their meals turned into a colorful spectacle.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
The Rainbow Theme Dinner can be a visually stunning feast for the eyes, an explosion of colors on the plate! Think of how engaging it'd be for the little ones to see their meals turned into a colorful spectacle.
It's a fantastic idea to make meal times fun and engaging for kids by adopting a rainbow theme! It's a great way to get them interested in eating healthy too.

• Haha
Reactions: musical and queenie
Introducing colour themes to meal times is a creative way to make food more appealing and engaging for kids. It's an excellent strategy to spark their interest in nutrition and expose them to a vibrant, healthy diet.

Encouraging kids to help prepare these colourful meals also educates them on the variety of fruits and vegetables available, and might even entice picky eaters to venture outside their comfort zone and embrace a new colour each meal!

Introducing colour themes to meal times is a creative way to make food more appealing and engaging for kids. It's an excellent strategy to spark their interest in nutrition and expose them to a vibrant, healthy diet.

Encouraging kids to help prepare these colourful meals also educates them on the variety of fruits and vegetables available, and might even entice picky eaters to venture outside their comfort zone and embrace a new colour each meal!
Having themes based on food colors is a rainbow-iful way to get kids involved in preparing delicious and nutritious meals, it's a fun way to introduce a healthy eating mindset young!

• Love
Reactions: nature and cissy
It really is! The kids love helping out and it's a great way to teach them about healthy eating and where our food comes from too. We focus on taste, texture, smell and appearance - the whole eating experience really. So much fun!

It really is! The kids love helping out and it's a great way to teach them about healthy eating and where our food comes from too. We focus on taste, texture, smell and appearance - the whole eating experience really. So much fun!
Yes, getting kids involved in preparing meals is a fantastic idea! It's an educational experience for them and can be lots of fun too. Learning about different sensations like taste and texture at a young age is so fascinating to curious young minds. It's great that you make it a holistic and enjoyable learning experience for them.

Yes, getting kids involved in preparing meals is a fantastic idea! It's an educational experience for them and can be lots of fun too. Learning about different sensations like taste and texture at a young age is so fascinating to curious young minds. It's great that you make it a holistic and enjoyable learning experience for them.
It's amazing how exposure to culinary adventures can widen their young palettes and develop their appreciation for various tastes and textures! Not to mention those precious memories of Messy Meal Mondays. Those art smocks really come in handy then!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature
It's amazing how exposure to culinary adventures can widen their young palettes and develop their appreciation for various tastes and textures! Not to mention those precious memories of Messy Meal Mondays. Those art smocks really come in handy then!
Messy meals are a great way to introduce adventure and variety into your children's mealtimes. Exposing them to new tastes and textures broadens their culinary horizons, creating adventurous eaters. Art smocks are a wise investment for these experimental meals!

Reactions: travelmum
A fun way to make messy meals exciting is turning them into a sensory experience! Using hands-on methods like finger painting with foods of different colours, or hiding treats within sensory bins filled with safe-to-explore materials can make feeding time an adventure.

The messier the better - within reason - as it encourages independence too when children are empowered to get stuck in and explore new tastes and textures for themselves! Invest in some washable smocks and prepare for some fun, messy adventures!

A fun way to make messy meals exciting is turning them into a sensory experience! Using hands-on methods like finger painting with foods of different colours, or hiding treats within sensory bins filled with safe-to-explore materials can make feeding time an adventure.

The messier the better - within reason - as it encourages independence too when children are empowered to get stuck in and explore new tastes and textures for themselves! Invest in some washable smocks and prepare for some fun, messy adventures!
Fun idea! I've also heard of people using special Mess Mats which are essentially water-proof sheets that can be easily wiped down after the mealtime madness. Something like this would be a great investment for those sensory meals and could help contain the mess a little!

Are there any other simple hacks parents can employ to make cleanup easier when trying these fun, sensory feeding methods?

Sensory meals are a fantastic way to make eating exciting! You're right about the mess; it's a great opportunity for kids to develop independence and explore their senses. Having a splatter-tastic time with hands- dirtying fun is a blissful part of childhood. MESSY = FUN!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu