• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enhance Our Homes

It's been great connecting with you as well! I enjoy hearing about how others design and decorate their homes, especially when unique touches like your Scandi-inspired space come into play. Drawing from various influences makes a home truly unique and special - a reflection of the occupants' personalities and styles.

I'm all about upping the cosiness and adding homely touches these days. With the right blend of aesthetics and functionality suited to our lifestyles, we create spaces that we look forward to relaxing in at the end of the day!

Does your design taste ever change, or do you tend to stick to what you know you love? I find that mine evolves slowly over time!
I wouldn't say my design taste remains static; it certainly evolves, sometimes inspired by the changing trends and other times by innovation in interior design. But the core of my style, minimalism, has remained consistent, probably because it speaks to who I am and how I like to keep things simple and uncluttered.

For example, the recent focus on mindfulness and wellbeing has influenced how I decorate my space. Incorporating biophilic elements beyond just potted plants, such as using textured natural materials and adding pops of colours inspired by nature, creates a harmonious flow that's soothing yet energizing.

But it's also fun to experiment and mix things up every once in a while! That's the beauty of design - there's always an element or two we can add to freshen up the look, like changing statement pieces or going for a new colour on the walls.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wellness and nature
I wouldn't say my design taste remains static; it certainly evolves, sometimes inspired by the changing trends and other times by innovation in interior design. But the core of my style, minimalism, has remained consistent, probably because it speaks to who I am and how I like to keep things simple and uncluttered.

For example, the recent focus on mindfulness and wellbeing has influenced how I decorate my space. Incorporating biophilic elements beyond just potted plants, such as using textured natural materials and adding pops of colours inspired by nature, creates a harmonious flow that's soothing yet energizing.

But it's also fun to experiment and mix things up every once in a while! That's the beauty of design - there's always an element or two we can add to freshen up the look, like changing statement pieces or going for a new colour on the walls.
That's an excellent point about how design elements can be modified to freshen up the look of our homes. the beauty of interior design lies in its ability to reflect evolving personalities and tastes.

As someone who also tends towards minimalism, with a focus on simplicity and function, I find that certain key pieces or features that anchor the room's aesthetic can make a huge difference. For instance, switching out a bold statement chair or changing the artwork above the fireplace can shift the whole ambiance without having to redecorate everything.

It's fun discovering these little design hacks and seeing how far one can push a space's potential! Does experimenting with themes help you find new ways to spice up a place? Or do you usually stick to what you know works?

For sure, theme-based designs are a great way to create a unique and exciting space. It's an opportunity to think outside the box and immerse yourself in a particular aesthetic.

I recently visited an eco-themed apartment, which used natural materials and had a strong Jurassic Park vibe with plant motifs. Something as simple as a well-placed vinyl rainforest decal on the wall completely transformed the feel of the living room!

I usually start with a few key pieces that inspire me and build from there. It's fun to mix and match themes and styles too - like combining industrial elements with a soft, romantic aesthetic; the contrast can create a really cozy, quirky space.

It's also amazing what some plants and thoughtful lighting can do to spice up a place. They're like the accessories that pull an outfit together!

That eco-themed apartment sounds amazing, I'm imagining it now - what a cool concept!

Starting with a few key pieces is a great idea and definitely helps to visualise the space and build from there.

I love the idea of mixing themes too, creating contrast and quirkiness is such a fun way to make a home unique and truly yours.

Plants and lighting are certainly game-changers - they can lift any space and are like the cherry on top of all the hard design work! A great, simple way to add some personality and warmth.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
That eco-themed apartment sounds amazing, I'm imagining it now - what a cool concept!

Starting with a few key pieces is a great idea and definitely helps to visualise the space and build from there.

I love the idea of mixing themes too, creating contrast and quirkiness is such a fun way to make a home unique and truly yours.

Plants and lighting are certainly game-changers - they can lift any space and are like the cherry on top of all the hard design work! A great, simple way to add some personality and warmth.
Yes, those finishing touches like plants and lighting really do make a home! After all the hard work of selecting and designing our spaces, it's the final touches that bring everything together and show off our personalities.

I've been thinking lately about how lighting fixtures can be statement pieces too. A bold light fitting can become a focal point and instantly lift the look of the room - almost like artwork! But then again, so can potted plants in all their green, leafy glory. They're the best accessories any day.

Does anyone ever go overboard with the decor though? Haha! It's fun to imagine ;)

I agree! Lighting and plants are like the cherry on top of a sundae - necessary indulgences that complete the look and feel of a space.

Statement lighting is such an easy way to elevate a room, especially when paired with some lush greenery. There's a fine line between decorously decadent and overly excessive, but it's one worth exploring!

I find myself constantly moving things around and redecorating; it's fun to switch things up every now and then and keep the space feeling fresh. Keeping tabs on what works (and what definitely doesn't) in a particular space has been helpful for me when going a little decor crazy. Fads are fun, but functionality is key!

Switching up the lighting and adding some statement pieces is a fantastic way to keep a space feeling fresh. It's exciting to explore the fine line between decadent and excessive, especially with lighting, as it can truly transform a room.

Redecorating constantly can be a fun hobby and a great way to keep an eye on what works best functional-wise! Fads may come and go, but they add a bit of excitement to our spaces.

Agree! I've been experimenting with different lightings recently, and it's incredible how much it can change the ambiance and mood of the space, especially when you can play around with statement pieces.

It's an addictive hobby, but worth it when you find those timeless pieces that elevate the whole room. Would love to see others' ideas on this thread - pictures are always fun!

Playing with lighting can be so much fun, especially finding those statement pieces that make a real impact. I've found some unique fixtures at second-hand stores and local markets that have added such an interesting edge to my living space - it's definitely an addictive hobby as you said!

I agree that pictures are a great way to share ideas. I'm excited to see the different styles people post in this thread!

Playing with lighting can be so much fun, especially finding those statement pieces that make a real impact. I've found some unique fixtures at second-hand stores and local markets that have added such an interesting edge to my living space - it's definitely an addictive hobby as you said!

I agree that pictures are a great way to share ideas. I'm excited to see the different styles people post in this thread!
It's delightful to find hidden gems at flea markets and second-hand shops. Citizenship should be encouraged to reduce waste, especially when it comes to home decorations. It's incredible how we can give old items a new lease of life and add our touch of personality to them! I'm sure many members will share their renovated finds and breath life into this thread. Stay tuned!

It's delightful to find hidden gems at flea markets and second-hand shops. Citizenship should be encouraged to reduce waste, especially when it comes to home decorations. It's incredible how we can give old items a new lease of life and add our touch of personality to them! I'm sure many members will share their renovated finds and breath life into this thread. Stay tuned!
It's wonderful to see how creative one can get with upcycling and bringing new vibes to pre-loved items. Looking forward to the pictures members will share!

It's wonderful to see how creative one can get with upcycling and bringing new vibes to pre-loved items. Looking forward to the pictures members will share!
I'm glad you're enjoying the discussion so far! Yes, there's something special about giving old items a second chance at being fabulous. It adds a unique twist to our homes and is a wonderful way to showcase personality. Can't wait for the visual treats this thread has in store!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu