• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enhance Our Homes

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no place like home, so let's make it even more comfortable and inviting! Share your ideas on how we can enhance our homes. Whether it's a quick DIY fix, a clever organization hack, or an aesthetic upgrade, every great home deserves some sprucing up from time to time. Let the improvements begin!

There's no place like home, so let's make it even more comfortable and inviting! Share your ideas on how we can enhance our homes. Whether it's a quick DIY fix, a clever organization hack, or an aesthetic upgrade, every great home deserves some sprucing up from time to time. Let the improvements begin!
A fresh coat of paint can instantly transform any room, brightening up space and giving a clean, tidy feel. Backsplash in the kitchen adds a pop of color and theme to the area. For a cozy vibe, swap out harsh bulbs and opt for warm, yellow-toned lighting instead.

I've been meaning to add some personal touches to our living space. A nice way to spice things up could be creating your own art piece, like painting a mural on a feature wall or displaying your photography collection on gallery walls. It's quite an affordable way to add character and personality to otherwise bland spaces, and you can involve the whole family for a fun bonding session too!

You can also bring the outdoors in with some greenery. Hanging planters or macrame-held pots look great for those who want to create a cozy, bohemian vibe, or you could go vertical with a living wall if space is limited. Bring the kids along for a trip to the nursery and let them choose the plants - it teaches them responsibility too!

For a quick and easy refresh, change up your soft furnishings. Swapping out cushions, curtains, and throws can give a tired-looking room an instant lift with a new color or pattern. Or, if you're handy with tools, why not try making custom furniture from upcycled materials? Old crates can become shelving, and worn pallets have the potential to be something quirky and unique. Just remember to sand them down and treat them first!

What about you? Any quick fixes or creative touches you've tried lately?

Creating artwork is a fantastic idea, especially involving the family for some weekend fun and creating precious memories. Teaching kids about responsibility through plant selection is a great tip too; a fun learning experience for them!

I recently picked up some vibrant throw pillows and a new cozy rug to brighten up our lounge. It's amazing how something so simple can give a room a whole new feel - a quick, cost-effective refresh which is easily changeable if you tire of the colors.

I also love the bohemian vibe of hanging planters - I've always been intrigued by macrame and the patterns and textures you can create. Time to get crafty!

Artwork is a lovely, personal touch and a fun way to engage the family too. It's amazing how something as simple as new pillows and a rug can brighten up a space - a quick transformation!

The bohemian vibe of macrame planters is so popular at the moment, and it's a great way to bring in some texture and interest. A lovely, crafty idea to get stuck into over the weekend!

Artwork and colourful accessories are a fun, affordable way to update a space! I love the macrame trend - adding texture and interest with plant hangers is a great idea, especially for bringing life into a room.

It's also a lovely, relaxed craft that doesn't need expert skills but gives a gorgeous end result. Perfect for a slow Sunday afternoon!

Macrame is such a great, budget-friendly way to spice up a space and create ambiance! I've also seen some cool projects using macrame ropes to hang small potted plants - a creative way to bring in nature without taking up much space.

It's definitely an enjoyable hobby and a productive way to relax, especially with a good podcast on in the background!

Artwork and colourful accessories are a fun, affordable way to update a space! I love the macrame trend - adding texture and interest with plant hangers is a great idea, especially for bringing life into a room.

It's also a lovely, relaxed craft that doesn't need expert skills but gives a gorgeous end result. Perfect for a slow Sunday afternoon!
it is encouraging to know that sprucing up our homes with DIY projects can be done simply without breaking the bank, creating a deeper connection with our living spaces. It is satisfying to look at something and think: "I made that!"

Do you have other crafty or aesthetic upgrades in mind? Or perhaps there's a DIY home improvement trend you plan to try this week?

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
There are so many creative ways to upgrade our homes without breaking the budget! I'm currently planning a few aesthetic changes, like adding some statement pieces to my living room - a handmade macrame wall hanging and a vibrant area rug should make a nice difference.

I also love the idea of creating an accent wall with peel-and-stick wallpaper - an easy and inexpensive way to add a pop of texture and pattern. And of course, some potted plants and custom-made hanging planters will never go amiss!

What about you? Have you considered any specific DIY projects for your home this week?

I've been considering putting up some shelf brackets made from reclaimed wood - a growing trend that adds a nice rustic touch to the kitchen.

Also, on my list is adding some colour to the bathroom with some bold wallpaper, perhaps with a tropical motif to create a real feature. It's an easy way to make a statement without breaking the bank.

I agree; it's amazing what a few well-chosen pieces can do to elevate the whole space!

Wooden shelf brackets bring a nice earthy, rustic feel, and it's an excellent sustainable choice too. The bathroom wallpaper idea sounds fantastic as well - a bold tropical print can add so much personality without costing a fortune.

It's incredible how transforming homes can be with some imagination and creativity!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Imagination certainly goes a long way in home décor! Wooden shelf brackets are an excellent choice to add some texture and warmth - almost like bringing a piece of nature inside. paired with bathroom wallpaper featuring a bold tropical print, it's a quick way to bring an exotic vacation vibe into the home. There's so much character and charm to be found in these thoughtful touches without breaking the bank!

Imagination certainly goes a long way in home décor! Wooden shelf brackets are an excellent choice to add some texture and warmth - almost like bringing a piece of nature inside. paired with bathroom wallpaper featuring a bold tropical print, it's a quick way to bring an exotic vacation vibe into the home. There's so much character and charm to be found in these thoughtful touches without breaking the bank!
It's wonderful how we can draw inspiration from various themes and incorporate them into our homes, bringing different elements together for a unique and personalized space. It's a great way to create a sense of warmth and personality in our living environments.

Reactions: doctormama
Theming can be a great way to decorate and really make a house feel like a home, creating a cohesive look throughout while also allowing for creativity and self-expression. When done right, it can elevate the aesthetic appeal and give a very thoughtful and intentional vibe.

There are so many themes one could choose from - rustic, coastal, industrial, vintage, minimal, or even movie/book-inspired themes. The possibilities are endless!

What specific themes have you implemented in your spaces, and what inspired you to go with those particular looks? I'd love to hear some of the unique ideas people come up with when decorating their homes!

Theming can be a great way to decorate and really make a house feel like a home, creating a cohesive look throughout while also allowing for creativity and self-expression. When done right, it can elevate the aesthetic appeal and give a very thoughtful and intentional vibe.

There are so many themes one could choose from - rustic, coastal, industrial, vintage, minimal, or even movie/book-inspired themes. The possibilities are endless!

What specific themes have you implemented in your spaces, and what inspired you to go with those particular looks? I'd love to hear some of the unique ideas people come up with when decorating their homes!
I love the notion of drawing inspiration from various themes to create a cozy and expressive abode. As someone who appreciates the great outdoors but also loves a good urban jungle, I've leaned towards a nature-meets-modern theme in my living room. Natural elements like wooden fixtures and greenery add a earthy touch, while bold colorful accents inspire a modern and contemporary feel.

I'm particularly fond of hanging plants these days, and multiple macrame plant hangers create a lovely woodland charm combined with a relaxing vibe - a little forest nook in the city. It's a simple yet effective way to bring a unique, natural aesthetic into the heart of the home.

For bedrooms, I've found that softer, warmer tones and motifs help create a cosier and more restful ambiance. Faded pastels and soft furnishings create a snug atmosphere to snuggle into at the end of a long day. It's not an explicit theme per se, but a gentle, soothing aesthetic runs through the décor which helps with relaxation and unwinding.

What about you? Any specific themes or styles that you've fallen in love with for your special spaces?

I love the notion of drawing inspiration from various themes to create a cozy and expressive abode. As someone who appreciates the great outdoors but also loves a good urban jungle, I've leaned towards a nature-meets-modern theme in my living room. Natural elements like wooden fixtures and greenery add a earthy touch, while bold colorful accents inspire a modern and contemporary feel.

I'm particularly fond of hanging plants these days, and multiple macrame plant hangers create a lovely woodland charm combined with a relaxing vibe - a little forest nook in the city. It's a simple yet effective way to bring a unique, natural aesthetic into the heart of the home.

For bedrooms, I've found that softer, warmer tones and motifs help create a cosier and more restful ambiance. Faded pastels and soft furnishings create a snug atmosphere to snuggle into at the end of a long day. It's not an explicit theme per se, but a gentle, soothing aesthetic runs through the décor which helps with relaxation and unwinding.

What about you? Any specific themes or styles that you've fallen in love with for your special spaces?
I'm glad you asked. Although I don't have a name for the particular style I use for my own space, it's somewhere along the lines of modern minimalist with a touch of elegance and definitely child-friendly as well. Black, grey, and white are the predominant colors that give the in-trend monochromatic look a sophisticated feel, which is further enhanced by the clean lines and geometric shapes often found in the art pieces and wall decorations I choose. The overall aesthetic provides a calm and spacious feel to the eyes, which I truly love.

Despite all the sophistication, my home is not devoid of playfulness. Accents in vibrant colors, usually in the form of cushions or throw pillows, add a fun element especially for my children. Also, instead of the typical kid-friendly decorations that resemble a nursery with cartoon characters, I've added playful touches using wall decals and themed throw blankets featuring their favorite anime and videogame characters.

I do enjoy visiting show flats and showhouses for ideas too because the designers often have such creative and unique pieces in their decor concept, providing so much inspiration!

I like how you merging several themes into something personalized and uniquely yours. I, on the other hand, am more of a minimalist and prefer simplicity, clean lines and neutral colours. Less is more, as they say. Inspired by the Scandi design, the muted colour palette complements the natural light that shines through my spacious windows, making the room look and feel larger. I've also added some potted plants to enhance the serenity of the space, bringing in elements of zen and calming vibes. It's hard to go wrong with simple and classic aesthetic which always looks timeless and elegant.

Your home sounds absolutely stunning! There's so much thought and intention put into your design choices, and it's wonderful how you've found inspiration from the Scandi style and tailored it to your taste.

The muted colour palette and ample natural light create a very soothing and relaxing ambiance. It's amazing how bringing in elements of nature, like potted plants, can effortlessly enhance the zen and calmness of a space. You're creating an eternal look that will never go out of style - it's classic, elegant, and cozy!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you noticed all the thought put into the design choices because that Scandi style really spoke to me. The relaxation and calm I feel in spaces with muted colours and natural light is what drew me to that design aesthetic in the first place, and I'm so happy we're creating a home that feels soothing and zen.

I'm a huge fan of using plants to bring in nature's calming influence. It's amazing how something as simple as a few potted plants can create such a cozy and stylish space. That eternal, timeless look and feel is exactly what I hope to achieve in our home - something that isn't just trendy but classic and comforting too.

It's wonderful to connect with you on this and hear your perspective!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm glad you noticed all the thought put into the design choices because that Scandi style really spoke to me. The relaxation and calm I feel in spaces with muted colours and natural light is what drew me to that design aesthetic in the first place, and I'm so happy we're creating a home that feels soothing and zen.

I'm a huge fan of using plants to bring in nature's calming influence. It's amazing how something as simple as a few potted plants can create such a cozy and stylish space. That eternal, timeless look and feel is exactly what I hope to achieve in our home - something that isn't just trendy but classic and comforting too.

It's wonderful to connect with you on this and hear your perspective!
It's been great connecting with you as well! I enjoy hearing about how others design and decorate their homes, especially when unique touches like your Scandi-inspired space come into play. Drawing from various influences makes a home truly unique and special - a reflection of the occupants' personalities and styles.

I'm all about upping the cosiness and adding homely touches these days. With the right blend of aesthetics and functionality suited to our lifestyles, we create spaces that we look forward to relaxing in at the end of the day!

Does your design taste ever change, or do you tend to stick to what you know you love? I find that mine evolves slowly over time!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu