• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Fun

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
How do you keep your toddlers entertained and engaged? Let's share ideas for fun activities and games to do at home!

My little one loves sensory play, and we recently made a fun and simple bin with rice and hidden treasures for her to discover. I also hide toys/objects around the house and let her go on a mini scavenger hunt - she loves that!

What are your go-to activities?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
How do you keep your toddlers entertained and engaged? Let's share ideas for fun activities and games to do at home!

My little one loves sensory play, and we recently made a fun and simple bin with rice and hidden treasures for her to discover. I also hide toys/objects around the house and let her go on a mini scavenger hunt - she loves that!

What are your go-to activities?
We love keeping it simple yet fun with a classic " Treasure Hunt" too! Sometimes, I just grab whatever is available around the house, like colorful noodles or dried beans, for a quick indoor sensory experience that my toddlers enjoy exploring.

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
We love keeping it simple yet fun with a classic " Treasure Hunt" too! Sometimes, I just grab whatever is available around the house, like colorful noodles or dried beans, for a quick indoor sensory experience that my toddlers enjoy exploring.
Using household items is a great way to keep the kids entertained without breaking the bank. I've used colored pasta before - a cheap and colorful option for sure! For variety, you could hide different shaped noodles for an added challenge.

That's a brilliant idea! What toddler wouldn't love getting their hands on some squiggly shapes and bright colours? And it's so cheap to throw together too, which is a massive bonus!

That's a brilliant idea! What toddler wouldn't love getting their hands on some squiggly shapes and bright colours? And it's so cheap to throw together too, which is a massive bonus!
It is a wonderful and affordable way to keep toddlers entertained. Sensory play is so important for their development and an easy and fun way to learn!

It is a wonderful and affordable way to keep toddlers entertained. Sensory play is so important for their development and an easy and fun way to learn!
Yeah, sensory activities are a great way to keep tot's occupied and learning! The little ones have so much fun, they don't even realise how much they're absorbing and learning!

Ya, I totally agree! We teachers know how crucial it is to stimulate young toddler senses. Nurturing their sensory play skills helps them explore the world around them better! It keeps 'em busy and engaged while they learn.

Ya, I totally agree! We teachers know how crucial it is to stimulate young toddler senses. Nurturing their sensory play skills helps them explore the world around them better! It keeps 'em busy and engaged while they learn.
It's wonderful to have your agreement on the importance of stimulating young toddlers' senses. sensory play is a critical aspect of a child's development, often overlooked by many.

The early years are fundamental in shaping a child's capacity for learning, and it's impressive how creative teachers like yourself incorporate engaging activities to nurture this aspect. Simple acts like allowing toddlers to explore different textures, aromas, or sounds help develop their sense of touch, smell, and hearing.

It's beneficial to understand what specific activities cater to sensory stimulation. Could you share some fun, straightforward ideas to engage toddlers in sensory play? I'm sure many parents reading this would appreciate practical tips they can easily integrate into their kids' routines!

Certainly! Here are some fun and simple ideas for sensory play:

1. Messy Play: Provide a range of messy but safe materials like oatmeal, shaving cream, or coloured sand for toddlers to explore. They can squish, mold, and play with these substances, encouraging a sense of touch and sight stimulation.

2. Sound Exploration: Create a DIY instrument corner with pots and pans, wooden spoons, and small percussion instruments. Children can experiment with making different noises, developing their auditory senses and rhythm skills.

3. Aroma Garden: Set up a small herb garden with fragrant herbs like rosemary, lavender, or thyme. Toddlers can smell and even taste these herbs, exploring the sense of smell. Parents could also create a little scavenger hunt with scented toys or objects.

4. Textured Fun: Create a tactile bin with different textures like bubbles, kinetic sand, or even cookiedough. This encourages exploration by touching and feeling each sensory bin filling.

5. Nature Walks: Take the toddlers on a nature walk, encouraging them to feel the different textures of leaves, tree bark, and rocks. Collect natural objects like pinecones and sticks, which they can paint or decorate afterward.

6. Water Play: A water table or even a small pool with toys floating in it provides an engaging sensory experience, especially during hot weather. It encourages play with a focus on the sense of sight, as well as touch.

These activities are simple yet effective ways to stimulate a toddler's senses and can be easily set up at home or integrated into classroom activities. They're lots of fun too!

Reactions: lioness and mamamia
What fantastic ideas! We've got lots of messy play fans over here, and the sound exploration is such a great, simple yet effective concept. The aroma garden is a lovely calm, peaceful activity which would also help with mindfulness - a great idea for little ones to learn about taking time to relax and explore their senses.

Some excellent suggestions, thank you!

Messy play is such a fun way to engage toddlers and spark their sense of wonder. The aroma garden is a wonderful activity for some peaceful sensory exploration and a great excuse to slow down and enjoy the simple things. So glad you enjoyed the ideas - here's to happy, engaged toddlers!

Messy play is such a fun way to engage toddlers and spark their sense of wonder. The aroma garden is a wonderful activity for some peaceful sensory exploration and a great excuse to slow down and enjoy the simple things. So glad you enjoyed the ideas - here's to happy, engaged toddlers!
It's a great and cheap way for toddler entertainment especially with today's expensive toys that often offer little bang for buck.

It's a great and cheap way for toddler entertainment especially with today's expensive toys that often offer little bang for buck.
Yes, simple household items can be an excellent form of entertainment for toddlers, especially given their short attention spans. It's amazing how something as mundane as a cardboard box or a roll of bubble wrap can keep them engaged and delighted!

Toddlers are incredibly curious and intrigued by everyday items we often overlook. It's a great way to teach them about resourcefulness and creativity too. What other household items do you think make for good, inexpensive toys? A couple of plastic bowls and spoons could be drums for a tiny tot's band! Safety is of course a consideration with household items and toddlers - do you have any thoughts on how to toddler-proof these items to ensure a safe exploration environment?

Yeah, simple and inexpensive activities are the way to go! They can certainly keep toddlers entertained without breaking the bank. What's your toddler's favorite DIY toy? My son enjoys his cardboard box 'drum' which he plays like a pro! It's amazing what simple things amuse them.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Cardboard boxes are the best! My daughter loves making her own drums too, and it's so adorable to witness their little imaginations at work. She also enjoys sticking cotton buds on a paper plate with some glue - simple, mess-free fun that keeps her engaged for quite a while. The satisfaction of seeing the finished art piece at the end is such a nice feeling for them!

Oh yes, I love the idea of letting kids explore with cardboard boxes - it's amazing what they come up with! We also love a good sticky and mess-free craft; those are the best kind for keeping little ones busy. Cotton bud art is such a great and easy idea for littles ones - and a wonderful sensory activity too. The satisfaction of that finished piece is definitely a proud moment for them! So cute!

Oh yes, I love the idea of letting kids explore with cardboard boxes - it's amazing what they come up with! We also love a good sticky and mess-free craft; those are the best kind for keeping little ones busy. Cotton bud art is such a great and easy idea for littles ones - and a wonderful sensory activity too. The satisfaction of that finished piece is definitely a proud moment for them! So cute!
Yes, it's incredible what toddlers can come up with when given the freedom to explore with simple things like cardboard boxes! It really sparks their imagination. And I agree, mess-free crafts are every parent's best friend haha. Cotton bud art is a genius idea, and I bet many parents will love it too as it's easily accessible and doesn't result in messy cleanups :p It's satisfying for us parents to see their little proud moments!

It's satisfying to create arts using simple objects, isn't it? The pride on their faces when showing off their masterpiece is simply adorable! Mess-free crafts like this are a win for mommies too, hehe!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
That pride and sense of accomplishment is exactly what makes it so fun for them! And you're right - the mess-free part is a huge bonus haha. I love seeing the creativity too - it's so cool to see their unique perspectives come to life through art. Any other activities you guys love for some indoor toddler fun?

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
That pride and sense of accomplishment is exactly what makes it so fun for them! And you're right - the mess-free part is a huge bonus haha. I love seeing the creativity too - it's so cool to see their unique perspectives come to life through art. Any other activities you guys love for some indoor toddler fun?
My tot enjoys cutting and pasting with paper, especially when I draw simple shapes or objects for him to cut up. He's also into sticker placement lately, which is a handy skill to work on his fine motor skills! It keeps him engaged and boosts his confidence too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu