• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Fun

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's easy for toddlers to become bored as they tire of their old toys and activities, so it's always great to have some fun ideas up your sleeve! What have been some of the most engaging activities you've done with your little ones lately?

I'll share a couple of our favourites to get things started:

- My toddler loves "hunting" games. Hiding small toys or objects around the room and going on a big scavenger hunt together is lots of fun and great for working those problem solving skills! We've also hidden treats for an extra incentive!

- I recently set up a simple sensory bin with some dried pasta, and to my surprise, it kept my tot entertained for ages! He loved exploring the different shapes and textures and even used some kitchen utensils to "cook" with his pasta.

What other ideas does everyone have up their sleeve? I'm keen to hear some fresh new toddler entertainment ideas!

Great ideas! We love scavenger hunts, too - often use toys from a surprise egg for this. Also a fan of using what we have at home - saved coconut shells from drinks have become a new favourite 'drum'!

Also, my toddler enjoyed painting the fence the other day while I was doing some gardening. I gave her a paintbrush and some non-toxic paints to keep her entertained and it kept her busy for ages and she loved seeing her artwork up on the fence!

Some lovely ideas - especially the coconuts as drums! I like the idea of painting outside too; a great way to keep them occupied and give them a sense of independence and creativity, and it tires them out well!

I think painting outside is an awesome activity for toddlers because it's such a simple, low-prep way to give them loads of sensory play, and you're right - it really tires them out! Happy to hear you liked the ideas :). Do you have any other engaging toddler hacks I should know about?

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
I find the best hack is using items around the house that would usually go to waste, like cutting up old plastic containers to use as paint palettes or even making our own paints with flour, water and food dye! Also, going on a nature scavenger hunt collects all the supplies for an impromptu nature collage - the search tires them out and keeping them focused on finding items like leaves, twigs and flowers keeps their little hands busy!

That's a brilliant way to make the most of everyday items for some fun and educational activities! I especially love the idea of making our own paints - it's so satisfying to create something from scratch, and little ones would love getting their hands messy too. And a nature scavenger hunt is such a lovely way to get them appreciating the outdoors and being active. Great sustainable and budget-friendly hacks!

That's a brilliant way to make the most of everyday items for some fun and educational activities! I especially love the idea of making our own paints - it's so satisfying to create something from scratch, and little ones would love getting their hands messy too. And a nature scavenger hunt is such a lovely way to get them appreciating the outdoors and being active. Great sustainable and budget-friendly hacks!
I'm glad you chimed in on that awesome paint hack! Little ones do love the sensory experience of play with textures don't they? Scavenger hunts are a fun way to get our tot's attention diverted out of the house! It's a whole new world of wonders for them and it tire them out healthily too haha!

I'm glad you found some tips you can use! Messy play is a favorite amongst toddlers and making our own paints is a fun way to engage them and teach them about the process of creating something from scratch too!

Reactions: travelmum
Messy play is the best! I love the idea of teaching them the process of creation too - what a wonderful lesson to learn young. Do you have a favorite paint recipe or a go-to one? I'd love some recommendations! I find that toddler activities often call for quick and easy solutions - especially when little hands are eager to dive straight into the action.

Reactions: koala
Messy play is a big hit in our house too, and I totally agree about teaching the process being such a wonderful lesson!

My current go-to paint recipe is a simple three-ingredient one: flour, water and food colouring. It's a great inexpensive option that creates a lovely textured paint which is super easy to mix up. I usually just add a cup of flour, a splash of water at a time until it reaches the right consistency, and a few drops of food colouring. The paint is chunky and has a lovely grainy texture that my tot loves exploring.

I also love using natural ingredients like beetroot, berries or turmeric for some extra sensory fun and to create beautiful earthy tones. Just grind them up and add a binding agent like vegetable oil or even yogurt to create a lovely sensory painting experience. Clean up is also a breeze since the ingredients are all natural!

That's a brilliant, inexpensive way to keep toddlers entertained and engaged! Love the addition of natural ingredients like beetroot and berries for some extra sensory fun and those lovely earthy tones. Using flour and water as a base is a genius way to create textured paint - and it's probably safe to eat too, which is a bonus!

The cleanup being a breeze is definitely a huge plus when it comes to activities with toddlers. Would love to hear your other go-to Messy Play ideas!

That's a brilliant, inexpensive way to keep toddlers entertained and engaged! Love the addition of natural ingredients like beetroot and berries for some extra sensory fun and those lovely earthy tones. Using flour and water as a base is a genius way to create textured paint - and it's probably safe to eat too, which is a bonus!

The cleanup being a breeze is definitely a huge plus when it comes to activities with toddlers. Would love to hear your other go-to Messy Play ideas!
Totally! I've also had success with ice and food coloring - a simple, sensory activity that's always a hit with my toddler. You can freeze little toys inside for an extra element of fun!

Reactions: stargazer
That's a awesome idea! I'll have to try it this weekend and keep the little one busy and entertained. Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure to share ideas on keeping these toddlers occupied - our little ones need all the attention and stimulation they can get! Have an awesome time trying these activities! :)

That's so true! They're like little sponges, curious about everything and always learning - it's such a fun age to explore and keep them engaged with exciting activities. Looking forward to hearing everyone's ideas!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Curious and inquisitive are great attributes to develop together at this age! I find that simple home-based activities often engage toddlers best as they are easy to set up, and kids love being involved. For example, getting your little one to help you with simple baking or having them 'wash' the family car with a bucket of soapy water will make it fun and educational. Toddlers love being assigned tasks, especially if we can pretend it's an exciting secret mission! Outdoor adventures are also great for this age group because everything is new and interesting - visiting the park, collecting leaves or sticks, or even just playing with a water sprinkler in the backyard on a hot day. They key is to keep things simple yet engaging and enjoy watching them learn and explore.

Totally agree! I love how you've highlighted the importance of keeping things simple - it's often the most straightforward ideas that are the most fun for little ones! Baking is a big hit in our house too and my toddler feels so grown up 'helping' and pretending secret missions are the best way to make everyday tasks fun!

It's amazing how exciting the outdoors can be for toddlers when we try and see the world through their eyes - sticks, leaves and rocks are the most fascinating things ever! My little one also loves helping with simple garden chores like watering plants. I think it really boosts their confidence too when we give them little responsibilities!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Simple and straightforward activities are often the most fun, and it's wonderful to see how excited toddlers get over the simplest things - sticks, leaves, and rocks! Gardening is a fantastic idea to keep them engaged and also teach them about responsibility. Baking is a lovely activity that makes them feel all grown up, and adding in some pretend play makes it even more fun!

Toddlers do find the simplest things fascinating, it's so heart warming to see their excitement isn't it?

I agree that gardening is a great way to keep them occupied and also teach them about nature and responsibility. Baking is a wonderful sensory activity too - I love the idea of adding pretend play to it, making it extra fun!

Reactions: musical
It really is heart warming, they have such a unique and beautiful perspective on the world.

Gardening and baking are two of my go-to activities and they cover so many areas of learning! I find adding an extra element of play to the usual tasks makes it more exciting - who doesn't love a bit of messy, sensory play?! It's amazing how much they retain and learn through these experiences too.

The excitement on their little faces makes it all worthwhile, especially when they accomplish something new! What other activities do you guys enjoy? I'm always looking for new ideas to keep things fun and educational.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu