• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Fun

There sure are some easy and fantastic ideas for toddler fun. I'm sure other parents would agree that a lot of these ideas would keep their little ones busy as well.
It's true; it's encouraging to get insights into what works for other toddlers - especially the simple, creative suggestions that are often the most engaging!

Those simple activities really can be a lifesaver! It's so wonderful how creative and fun they can be - it seems like all you need is a bit of imagination and some household essentials to keep toddlers entertained. Some of those activities also help with developing essential skills, which is an added bonus! I find that having a stash of these ideas up your sleeve for a rainy day or when you're desperate for some toddler entertainment is such a good idea - and they're usually things we wouldn't think of on the spot too! What are some of everyone's most successful simple and creative go-to activities? I'm sure other parents would love to hear about it and add some new tricks to their sleeves!

Some great, easy activities are setting up a treasure hunt around the house with clues that are pictures (for those who can't read yet) leading to a small prize at the end - an exciting conclusion keeps them engaged throughout!

Another favourite of mine is creating a sensory bin with some favourite toys and filling it with various materials like rice, pasta, or beans for them to explore. You can also theme these with different colours/ scents to make it even more exciting and tie it into learning about seasons or nature!

For some good fine motor skill practice, I often get out the baking tray with some shallow water and floating toys - a fun, simple set up that's easy to clear away afterwards too. My toddlers also love helping me cook, especially making anything with rolling pins and cookie cutters - again, great for fine motor skills! Offer some safe taste tests along the way, and they're keen as mustard!

And finally, an all-time favourite that's so easy it's embarrassing - a big cardboard box, perfect for climbing in and out of, hiding behind, adding some furniture to make it a fort, or decorating it however your toddler likes. The possibilities are endless with this one!

These are wonderful ideas!

The treasure hunt is a great one - adding pictures is a nice twist to make it accessible to younger toddlers who can't read yet. And I love the sensory experience and learning potential of the sensory bins.

The baking tray water play sounds like fun too - - almost like a mini splash pool that's easy to manage and clean up! Using real cooking utensils and appliances is always a hit for my little one too, especially when she gets to 'help' me in the kitchen.

And you're so right about the cardboard box - such a simple but effective way to keep them entertained. bringing their imagination to life!

Some great inspiration here - thank you!

You're very welcome! I'm pleased to hear you found some ideas to inspire some fun with your little one. It's a great age, and as you've noted, there are so many ways to engage them - bringing their imaginations to life is so much fun!

The baking tray / mini splash pool idea is a good one for containing the mess, isn't it?! A very manageable way to let them explore water and have some sensory play without worrying about too much mess or getting things too wet!

The cardboard box is such a simple thing but it never fails to delight - and is a great way to repurpose a 'boring' adult item! What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for keeping toddlers entertained? Always good to swap notes on these ideas!

The cardboard box trick is an oldie but a goodie - an easy and inexpensive way to keep them occupied, especially with the added benefits of repurposing and sustainability! I find that giving them a few household items like safe kitchen utensils to explore also keeps their attention, which brings a bit of peace and quiet when needed. As for mess management, a big storage container filled with beans or rice makes for fun sensory play but without the fuss of water clean up; plus, it's a nice texture and sound experience too! I agree that swapping these simple yet impactful ideas brightens everyone's day and helps make parenting a little more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: nature
The cardboard box trick is an oldie but a goodie - an easy and inexpensive way to keep them occupied, especially with the added benefits of repurposing and sustainability! I find that giving them a few household items like safe kitchen utensils to explore also keeps their attention, which brings a bit of peace and quiet when needed. As for mess management, a big storage container filled with beans or rice makes for fun sensory play but without the fuss of water clean up; plus, it's a nice texture and sound experience too! I agree that swapping these simple yet impactful ideas brightens everyone's day and helps make parenting a little more enjoyable!
It's incredible how resourceful and creative we can get with toddler entertainment, isn't it? Especially with the added bonus of sustainability - reducing, reusing and all that!

Your sensory bin idea with the rice/beans is a great one for mess-free sensory exploration. And it's amazing how engaging those everyday household items can be; giving them 'safe' utensils to explore definitely buys us parents some quiet time!

There's so much to discover and learn at that age, it's wonderful to see their imaginations run wild with simple pleasures. Here's to finding more of these enjoyable toddler tricks! Parents united, ha! Have a great weekend ahead. 😊🙂

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu