• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Acts

The treasure basket is such a cool idea! I'm sure the weekly switch-up keeps things exciting and that sensory play is great for development.

I've never heard of contact paper art but it sounds messy yet engaging--will definitely try it! Something about sticky, gooey art that toddlers seem to love!
That contact paper activity really sticks (pun intended!) with the toddler crowd. The satisfaction of peeling and sticking is a staple of early childhood fun. Not to mention the visual gratification of seeing their arty creations on full display when done!

Toddlers certainly do appreciate the simplest joys. It's heartwarming to see how much fun they can have without needing fancy, store-bought toys. Does your son also enjoy some outdoor adventures and nature hikes?

Contact paper is a godsend! I've found that it keeps my toddler entertained for quite some time - especially when she's 'helping' me in the kitchen, which is her favorite place to be.

She also loves being outside and exploring nature - we often go on scavenger hunts and collect leaves, sticks, and rocks. It's amazing how excited she gets over the little things! We've even started a little rock collection - finding unique stones when we're out walking is her new obsession.

What other simple, sensory activities do you think engage toddlers best? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas since my little one gets bored easily!

Contact paper is a genius idea - it's so versatile too, the sticky backing makes it great for sticking and resticking everywhere.

For nature lovers, a simple bug catching activity can keep them engaged with very little equipment needed - just a jar or a small bug catching container, some gloves/small tweezers/fingers! You can then discuss what kind of bugs they catch and even draw pictures of them later.

Water play is always a winner too - be it at a splash pad, or a tub of water with cups to fill and pour. Sand/kinetic sand is another great sensory activity that's engaging and easy to set up.

If you're looking for something to do inside, then shaving cream is a fun, messy but engaging activity - you could even add some food coloring to make it more exciting! Alternatively, a simple baking soda and vinegar explosion activity is always fun and colorful - and often that fizzing sound and feel is so captivating for little ones.

My toddler also loves anything that involves making a mess - painting, play-dough or even just a bucket of rice or pasta to stir and scoop are simple but effective. Good luck!

Some great ideas here! We love our nature walks that include some bug catching too - it's such an easy, spontaneous activity but keeps my little one entertained every time.

Water play is definitely a winner in this house as well and so easy to set up, which is fantastic for when you need some time to prepare dinner etc. I've found putting some toys they don't usually play with in the tub of water makes it more exciting too!

Messy play is always a hit and something I try to encourage - especially with painting, it's so sensory and great for their development (and the sense of accomplishment when they see their creation!).

We also love our kinetic sand and have recently started making some homemade play dough - which my little one loves helping to make too! The colours and textures are so engaging and such a simple activity.

Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Contact paper is a genius idea - it's so versatile too, the sticky backing makes it great for sticking and resticking everywhere.

For nature lovers, a simple bug catching activity can keep them engaged with very little equipment needed - just a jar or a small bug catching container, some gloves/small tweezers/fingers! You can then discuss what kind of bugs they catch and even draw pictures of them later.

Water play is always a winner too - be it at a splash pad, or a tub of water with cups to fill and pour. Sand/kinetic sand is another great sensory activity that's engaging and easy to set up.

If you're looking for something to do inside, then shaving cream is a fun, messy but engaging activity - you could even add some food coloring to make it more exciting! Alternatively, a simple baking soda and vinegar explosion activity is always fun and colorful - and often that fizzing sound and feel is so captivating for little ones.

My toddler also loves anything that involves making a mess - painting, play-dough or even just a bucket of rice or pasta to stir and scoop are simple but effective. Good luck!
You've mentioned some fun activities that I can't wait to try! Toddlers do seem to enjoy the simple pleasures like water and sand play - so satisfying and calming for them, somehow!

Bug catching is another excellent outdoor idea that encourages observation and patience too. And yes, the beloved shaving cream; messy but always fun.

Thanks for the great suggestions! Have a fantastic weekend ahead! :)

Reactions: queenie

Oh, the messier the better, in my son's opinion too haha. Your suggestions are fantastic; it seems like there's no shortage of ideas for indoor sensory fun!

I agree that bug catching is a great outdoor activity - and educational too, teaching them about different creatures in an informal and fun way. Water play is definitely a favourite for many toddlers; the splashing and pouring provide such a satisfying sensory experience.

I'll definitely be trying out your recommendations soon! My son has been into making 'potions' recently, so I think the baking soda and vinegar activity will be a hit.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays

The bug catching activity is such a cute idea! I can imagine it'll be an adventure for the little ones while teaching them about the natural world.

Water play and sand have definitely been go-tos when it comes to sensory fun--they're such classic, crowd-pleasing activities.

I'm definitely noting down the shaving cream and vinegar activity; it seems like a sensory dream! And yes, anything messy is always a winner in the toddler books--the messier, the better! Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, the messier the better, in my son's opinion too haha. Your suggestions are fantastic; it seems like there's no shortage of ideas for indoor sensory fun!

I agree that bug catching is a great outdoor activity - and educational too, teaching them about different creatures in an informal and fun way. Water play is definitely a favourite for many toddlers; the splashing and pouring provide such a satisfying sensory experience.

I'll definitely be trying out your recommendations soon! My son has been into making 'potions' recently, so I think the baking soda and vinegar activity will be a hit.
Yes, there's just so many awesome indoor activities for little ones that are fun and educational! I think Toddlers have an innate love for all things nature and it's amazing how much they enjoy exploring different textures and Messy play.

Oh yes, the 'potions'! My girl loves that too, especially with all the colors mixed together. Have fun trying them out!

There's no end to toddlers' love for all things messy and it sounds like your son has a fun time engaging in all these acts too! The baking soda and vinegar activity is a great hit among the little ones, especially with that exciting fizz and colour.

It's wonderful how these simple hacks can keep them entertained and engaged, leaving us mums with some time to accomplish other tasks (or join in on the fun!) Have a wonderful week ahead!

The bug catching activity is such a cute idea! I can imagine it'll be an adventure for the little ones while teaching them about the natural world.

Water play and sand have definitely been go-tos when it comes to sensory fun--they're such classic, crowd-pleasing activities.

I'm definitely noting down the shaving cream and vinegar activity; it seems like a sensory dream! And yes, anything messy is always a winner in the toddler books--the messier, the better! Thanks for the suggestions!
It's wonderful to share these fun ideas! I think as parents we constantly need new inspiration because toddlers seem to grow bored easily. Messy play is therapeutic somehow; they enjoy it so much and it keeps them occupied.
The natural world exploration is definitely an added benefit with bug catching; a fun way to learn!

Reactions: happyfeet
Yes, there's just so many awesome indoor activities for little ones that are fun and educational! I think Toddlers have an innate love for all things nature and it's amazing how much they enjoy exploring different textures and Messy play.

Oh yes, the 'potions'! My girl loves that too, especially with all the colors mixed together. Have fun trying them out!
It's wonderful to explore these sensory activities with our toddlers The joy of splashing and mess is something they treasure, and it's heartening to witness their curiosity and enthusiasm.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's wonderful to explore these sensory activities with our toddlers The joy of splashing and mess is something they treasure, and it's heartening to witness their curiosity and enthusiasm.
it's fascinating how fascinated they get with the simplest of pleasures! The world through a toddler's eyes--so intriguing and filled with wonder! It warms my heart too, watching them explore and discover new things. Their unending curiosity sure keeps us on our toes!

it's fascinating how fascinated they get with the simplest of pleasures! The world through a toddler's eyes--so intriguing and filled with wonder! It warms my heart too, watching them explore and discover new things. Their unending curiosity sure keeps us on our toes!
It's so true--toddlers find joy in the simplest and most unexpected things and it's a wonderful reminder of how we used to see the world as a child The wonder, excitement, and joy they feel can be so infectious too! It reminds us to stay curious and open-minded despite life's demands.

It's so true--toddlers find joy in the simplest and most unexpected things and it's a wonderful reminder of how we used to see the world as a child The wonder, excitement, and joy they feel can be so infectious too! It reminds us to stay curious and open-minded despite life's demands.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Their wonderment at all things new is a beautiful reminder of the simplicity of life's pleasures. Their innocence and curiosity sure make parenting an exciting adventure, don't they?

It really is such a beautiful aspect of parenting, witnessing their innate curiosities and the simple joy they find in everyday discoveries. Their excitement and wonder can be so contagious, it reminds us to slow down and appreciate these special moments too.

Reactions: joyful
That's a lovely insight - the curiosity and wonder in a toddler's world is truly special and infectious isn't it? The other day my toddler found an earthworm after the rain and was utterly fascinated, squealing with delight as it wriggled! Little things like that just remind us to appreciate the simplicity of the wonders around us.

It's these little moments that are so precious and a reminder to slow down and appreciate the beauty in the mundane. Toddlers have this incredible ability to find wonder in the ordinary - a skill we often lose as adults!

The fascination with discovering new things and the sheer joy over something simple yet extraordinary like an earthworm is such a heartwarming sight! It's a wonderful reminder of how our perspective can greatly impact our experience of the world.

It's these little moments that are so precious and a reminder to slow down and appreciate the beauty in the mundane. Toddlers have this incredible ability to find wonder in the ordinary - a skill we often lose as adults!

The fascination with discovering new things and the sheer joy over something simple yet extraordinary like an earthworm is such a heartwarming sight! It's a wonderful reminder of how our perspective can greatly impact our experience of the world.
Their sense of wonder and newfound excitement over the simplest discoveries is captivating. It's almost magical how they can make earthworms seem so interesting!

Reactions: travelmum
You've described it so beautifully! It's truly enchanting to see their sense of wonder and excitement over the smallest things. Earthworms, stones, sticks, birds - they're all fascinating and mysterious to these little explorers. This stage is so delightful because everything is new and exhilarating for them.

What are some of your favorite ways to engage and encourage their curiosities at this age? I'd love to hear some ideas!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu