• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Activities

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your secret weapon for keeping your tot engaged and entertained? We're always on the lookout for new ideas! Share what you've got going on at your house to keep the toddler boredom at bay - we'd love some fresh inspiration! Lay it on us! 😀

We have a "busy bin" filled with an assortment of toys, art supplies, and random objects that my toddler doesn't get to play with often. It's a mix of new and old, so it always feels exciting for her to explore. Each day I bring out a different Busy Bin activity, which gives me time to prep meals or do some work while she's entertained. Some of the things I've included are pipe cleaners, googly eyes, pom poms, colored noodles, small toys, playdough, and even some kitchen utensils like measuring cups and strainers! It's an easy way to keep her occupied and give me some hands-free time, plus she's always eager to see what new surprises the bin will bring each day.

Reactions: mamamia
We have a "busy bin" filled with an assortment of toys, art supplies, and random objects that my toddler doesn't get to play with often. It's a mix of new and old, so it always feels exciting for her to explore. Each day I bring out a different Busy Bin activity, which gives me time to prep meals or do some work while she's entertained. Some of the things I've included are pipe cleaners, googly eyes, pom poms, colored noodles, small toys, playdough, and even some kitchen utensils like measuring cups and strainers! It's an easy way to keep her occupied and give me some hands-free time, plus she's always eager to see what new surprises the bin will bring each day.
That's a cool idea! My little one loves his sensory toys too, especially those that light up or make sounds when you touch them. I'll try your busy bin trick by putting away some of his beloved toys and introducing them as "new" distractions on other days.

That's a cool idea! My little one loves his sensory toys too, especially those that light up or make sounds when you touch them. I'll try your busy bin trick by putting away some of his beloved toys and introducing them as "new" distractions on other days.
I find that rotating toys helps a lot because it gives the sensation of having new things to play with! And you're right, sensory toys are such a win for keeping their senses engaged.

Yeah, the element of surprise works wonders!

I find that rotating toys helps a lot too; my daughter's playroom has toys stored away in different baskets, and every few days I swap them over so it feels like Christmas each time!

Reactions: koala
I find that rotating toys helps a lot because it gives the sensation of having new things to play with! And you're right, sensory toys are such a win for keeping their senses engaged.
Yes, the sense of 'newness' is so effective in capturing their short attention spans! I also love including different textures and materials in the busy bin - like bubbles wrap, cotton balls or even those squishy stress balls haha. It's fascinating how intrigued they get with these simple things!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and lioness
Sensory toys are only half the battle won. The other half is good ol' fashioned creative imagination. I remember playing with just about anything and everything as a kid and using my imagination to have fun - which seems to be lacking in todays kids because they're spoonfed stimulation and entertainment.

Reactions: techsavvy
Yeah, the element of surprise works wonders!

I find that rotating toys helps a lot too; my daughter's playroom has toys stored away in different baskets, and every few days I swap them over so it feels like Christmas each time!
It's fascinating how something as simple as storing toys away can make them feel like new presents! The excitement and joy on their little faces make all the effort worth it.

Reactions: wellness
It's fascinating how something as simple as storing toys away can make them feel like new presents! The excitement and joy on their little faces make all the effort worth it.
The simplest things often bring toddlers the most delight - they don't need fancy gadgets or elaborate activities. It's adorable how they find pleasure in uncovering the familiar, especially when it's been absent for a while! These little things keep their curiosity alive and make life interesting.

So true! It's wonderful to observe how they get fascinated by everyday things. Like my toddler lately has taken interest in helping with simple chores like sorting laundry or setting the table. Also, bringing out a few kitchen utensils he doesn't usually play with, like a wooden spoon and a clean dish cloth, keeps him engaged when I need to cook dinner.

So true! It's wonderful to observe how they get fascinated by everyday things. Like my toddler lately has taken interest in helping with simple chores like sorting laundry or setting the table. Also, bringing out a few kitchen utensils he doesn't usually play with, like a wooden spoon and a clean dish cloth, keeps him engaged when I need to cook dinner.
It's heartwarming to see how our children can find enjoyment in the most mundane tasks. There's a sense of comfort too, in knowing that simple pleasures can bring them so much happiness.

That's lovely! Kids really do find pleasure in the simplest things, don't they? A wooden spoon and some bubbles can provide so much entertainment, it's quite fascinating!

It's wonderful that you're embracing these moments and finding ways to make chore time fun - those are precious memories being created!

It's heartwarming to see how our children can find enjoyment in the most mundane tasks. There's a sense of comfort too, in knowing that simple pleasures can bring them so much happiness.
The little ones sure do keep things interesting with their curiosity and wide-eyed wonder! It's like discovering the world anew through their eyes.

it's a refreshing perspective that toddlers have - finding wonder in the ordinary! It's a timely reminder to slow down and appreciate the little joys life has to offer.

That's lovely! Kids really do find pleasure in the simplest things, don't they? A wooden spoon and some bubbles can provide so much entertainment, it's quite fascinating!

It's wonderful that you're embracing these moments and finding ways to make chore time fun - those are precious memories being created!
Aah, those are the little things that make motherhood fulfilling. Finding enjoyment in everyday tasks together is part of the special bond we have with our kids, a very heartwarming feeling!

That's so true! The simplest things can bring them so much joy and laughter -- it's contagious and warms my heart every time! Finding those fun and educational activities to do together is a real treat too; it fuels my creativity as a parent and keeps me inspired. What are some of your favorite toddler activities that you've done with your little one?

I love setting up scavenger hunts for my tot! It gets them moving, exploring, and their senses are fully engaged while they're searching for the items. You can make it educational by incorporating colors, shapes, or even numbers and letters if they're at that stage - e.g., "Find something circle-shaped!" It's also fun to watch them interpret the clues in their unique ways and get so proud when they find each item.

Reactions: joyful and queenie
I love setting up scavenger hunts for my tot! It gets them moving, exploring, and their senses are fully engaged while they're searching for the items. You can make it educational by incorporating colors, shapes, or even numbers and letters if they're at that stage - e.g., "Find something circle-shaped!" It's also fun to watch them interpret the clues in their unique ways and get so proud when they find each item.
I've also started letting my little one help with some simple cooking tasks - mainly measuring ingredients and mixing stuff together. Toddler-friendly recipes are a blast, and it teaches them about the food groups and portion sizes too. Plus, they get to enjoy their yummy creations afterward! Messy, sensory play like this is a great brain stimulator and develops their fine motor skills.

That's a great idea! Cooking is a fun way to engage toddlers and expose them to different foods, textures, and sensory experiences. It's a great hidden learning opportunity! My little one loves helping with baking too and it's fun to see their little faces light up when they get to enjoy the fruits of their labor (and yours!).

Cooking and baking are awesome ways to keep toddlers busy, learning, and excited! My kiddo loves helping measure ingredients and mix everything together. The best part is when they get to sample the final product - it's so fun to see their excitement!

It's also a great way to teach them about kitchen safety and hygiene - an important life skill! They learn that we don't touch hot things, wash our hands before handling food, etc.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu