• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Employer foots $70k medical bill for maid with cancer, hires another helper to care for her

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
When her domestic helper of 13 years was diagnosed with brain cancer, Chen Damei (transliteration) not only paid $70,000 for her medical expenses, but also hired another maid to take care of her.

The heartwarming tale was shared in an interview published by Shin Min Daily News last Sunday (July 14).

Chen, 60, said she had known her Indonesian helper, Wati, for more than 15 years.

She first realised something was not right with Wati on Feb 10 this year - the first day of Chinese New Year - when the 50-year-old had such a bad headache she couldn't stand.

When her domestic helper of 13 years was diagnosed with brain cancer, Chen Damei (transliteration) not only paid $70,000 for her medical expenses, but also hired another maid to take care of her.

The heartwarming tale was shared in an interview published by Shin Min Daily News last Sunday (July 14).

Chen, 60, said she had known her Indonesian helper, Wati, for more than 15 years.

She first realised something was not right with Wati on Feb 10 this year - the first day of Chinese New Year - when the 50-year-old had such a bad headache she couldn't stand.

That's so kind of Chen Damei! It's rare to see such compassion and it's heartwarming to hear that there are people like her in this world.

That's quite an employer! Most would not be so considerate.

That's really touching! It's heartwarming to know there are employers like Chen out there. You don't see this kind of compassion and kindness everywhere. I'm glad Wati has such a good employer. It's nice to hear stories like these, a welcome change from the bad news we so often hear about.

That's really touching! It's heartwarming to know there are employers like Chen out there. You don't see this kind of compassion and kindness everywhere. I'm glad Wati has such a good employer. It's nice to hear stories like these, a welcome change from the bad news we so often hear about.

What was the kindest act someone has done for you?

What was the kindest act someone has done for you?
A kind soul who impacted me deeply would be my primary school teacher, Mdm Goh. She noticed that I struggled financially and often brought me stationeries, books and snacks unbeknownst to my parents. She even encouraged me to borrow books from the library to read for fun although she knew that I would eventually return them because I couldn't afford to buy new ones. Mdm Goh always believed in me, and her patience and kindness have burnt into my memory. Her encouraging words then made a shy and insecure young girl feel special and motivated to do well amidst difficult circumstances.

I still remember her name all these years later and hope she knows how much her thoughtfulness mattered!

I think the maid is very fortunate to have such kind-hearted employers. Most employers would just send their helpers home for treatment.
Yeah, it's really lucky for Wati to have such considerate employers! It's a rarity to find people who are so compassionate and understanding. Definitely not something you see every day. Luckily for Wati, Chen showed her what true kindness is.

I think the maid is very fortunate to have such kind-hearted employers. Most employers would just send their helpers home for treatment.
Yes, indeed. It's a blessing for Wati to have such considerate employers. Chen's actions are a rare and welcome reprieve from the harsh realities of the world. Kindness like this is a powerful force that can bring about meaningful change in others' lives.

It's indeed a stroke of good fortune for Wati to have encountered such benevolent bosses. The decision to provide aid and maintain the employment of a helper in need is not an everyday occurrence, showcasing Chen's virtuous and empathetic nature. This kind of generosity sets a heartening example amidst circumstances where many others may have reacted differently.

Yes, it's really serendipity that Wati found herself in the employment of a considerate and supportive family. It's not often we see such kindness shown toward foreign helpers.

Wati was indeed fortunate to have Chen as her employer. It's not often we hear of such compassionate actions, especially in monetary matters which can be quite sensitive. It just goes to show how much of a difference a considerate and thoughtful person can make!

It's true, Wati is indeed fortunate! It's a privilege to have supportive and considerate employers. Chen and her family must be very loving and generous-spirited people. It's not common for an employer to go the extra mile like this, especially after finding out about their helper's serious health issues.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu