• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Development Milestones

Sure thing! I'd look out for the level of enthusiasm the candidate conveys, especially when recalling past experiences or speaking about the role they're applying for. Also, take note of whether they ask meaningful questions about the company and role, as it shows genuine interest and preparation.

You'll want to pay attention to cues like laughter, which to me signals comfort and confidence, or pauses - does the candidate gather their thoughts promptly or stumbles over simple queries? That might hint at levels of nervousness and preparedness.
Another cue I look out for is the way a candidate expresses their past achievements. Are they able to recall them easily and elaborate on how they contributed to a project or task, using clear and concise details? This helps me assess their level of sincerity and authenticity during the interview.

It's quite easy to detect if a person is reading out a script or speaking extempore. Body language hints, like fluent hand gestures accompanying speech, indicate an applicant who's confident in their answers, which is a good sign.

Sometimes, especially with nervous interviewees, I also observe how they breathe before answering. Deep breathers usually steady themselves and deliver more confidently. These are some of the physical cues I pick up on, on top of the verbal clues others have mentioned.

What other signs do you look for when gauging a candidate's enthusiasm and authentic interest?

Some candidates arrive at interviews with a certain amount of healthy confidence which, besides putting them at ease, also makes them more engaging. These individuals usually exude positive energy and have an infective enthusiasm which adds an exciting dynamic to the conversation.

You can pick up on their passion and genuine interest in the role through their lively tone and eager curiosity whenever they elaborate on their experiences and responses. In contrast, some candidates no matter how skilled, come across as shy or introverted which isn't necessarily a deal-breaker.

In such situations, I focus on their problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities, which are valuable assets that should not be overshadowed by exuberance. A thoughtful and analytical approach is a strength worth noting, especially when coupled with concise and confident delivery.

I also gauge candidates' enthusiasm by observing how they react to follow-up questions. A keen candidate will seize the opportunity to elaborate on their past successes or ask clarifying questions to understand the problem better. Their eagerness to engage enhances their overall performance and could even tip the scales in their favour.

Furthermore, I agree that detecting a rehearsed answer is important. I often throw in a curve ball question to gauge authenticity - be it a sudden topic change or a hypothetical scenario. How smoothly they transition reveals a lot about their spontaneity and authenticity, giving us a more accurate impression of their personality and how they'd navigate unforeseen challenges.

These cues, combined with the verbal clues mentioned, help me ascertain the candidate's enthusiasm, passion and alignment with the role, allowing for a more holistic assessment beyond their resume or prepared responses.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
You've outlined an interesting approach to assessing candidates' soft skills and enthusiasm, which are crucial aspects often overlooked during interviews.

I particularly agree with your point about confidence vs. thoughtful introversion. Some individuals command the room with their confidence, but there are also incredibly talented candidates who let their skills speak for themselves. Focusing on their problem-solving abilities and critical thinking skills can help evaluate their potential contributions.

The mention of throwing in a curve ball question is an excellent strategy; it's an ingenious way to observe authenticity and spontaneity. It's fascinating how much these cues reveal about a candidate's true nature and ability to think on their feet.

These subtle clues, when combined with other verbal and non-verbal cues, provide a more accurate picture of the candidate's fit for the role and overall enthusiasm, which might not be apparent from their resume alone.

Well-observed!

Thank you for your thoughtful response! I'm glad we're on the same page regarding assessing candidates' soft skills and enthusiasm, which are too often missed opportunities during interviews.

I appreciate your insight about talented individuals who let their skills speak for themselves. It's a great reminder that confidence shouldn't be a deciding factor in our evaluations. Instead, focusing on their abilities and critical thinking, as you've noted, provides a more accurate picture of their potential contributions to the team.

The curve ball question tactic is a fun and revealing strategy; it's amazing how candidates' true colours show when they're presented with an unexpected prompt!

These subtle cues are like hidden gems that, when recognised and pieced together, offer a valuable insight into each candidate's unique strengths and fit for the role.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
Thank you for your thoughtful response! I'm glad we're on the same page regarding assessing candidates' soft skills and enthusiasm, which are too often missed opportunities during interviews.

I appreciate your insight about talented individuals who let their skills speak for themselves. It's a great reminder that confidence shouldn't be a deciding factor in our evaluations. Instead, focusing on their abilities and critical thinking, as you've noted, provides a more accurate picture of their potential contributions to the team.

The curve ball question tactic is a fun and revealing strategy; it's amazing how candidates' true colours show when they're presented with an unexpected prompt!

These subtle cues are like hidden gems that, when recognised and pieced together, offer a valuable insight into each candidate's unique strengths and fit for the role.
Yeah, I've seen some very confident individuals who are all talk and no substance. I guess many people are trained to ace interviews and put their best foot forward, so it's the employer's job to really get below the surface and uncover candidates' true skills and personalities. I have hired a few who seem quiet and shy but turned out to be gems who are thorough in their work and thinking. They're the ones who surprise you with their problem-solving skills when faced with unfamiliar situations.

Yeah, I've seen some very confident individuals who are all talk and no substance. I guess many people are trained to ace interviews and put their best foot forward, so it's the employer's job to really get below the surface and uncover candidates' true skills and personalities. I have hired a few who seem quiet and shy but turned out to be gems who are thorough in their work and thinking. They're the ones who surprise you with their problem-solving skills when faced with unfamiliar situations.
Some of the shyest folks can pack the biggest surprises! Their quiet dispositions often mask thoughtful minds, capable of ingenious problem-solving. It's a real skill for employers to look beyond the usual confident types and uncover these hidden gems.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu