• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Current Affairs Talk

Some great strategies here! I particularly resonate with the mental timeout strategy - it's so easy to get swept away in the heat of the moment, and taking a few minutes to collect your thoughts is a fantastic way to ensure you don't say or react to something you might regret.

I also find keeping a 'repertoire' of appropriate responses is a helpful tactic - having a few go-to phrases or strategies up your sleeve that you can deploy as needed helps to avoid that deer-in-headlights feeling. You can tailor these responses to different situations, and practicing them beforehand ensures you don't have to come up with something on the spot. This could be something like having a couple of stock phrases for when someone is venting their frustrations, or specific questions to defuse a tense situation.

Another trick I use is visualising a calming scene - it's amazing how effective a quick mental vacation can be in disrupting negative thought patterns and bringing your focus back to centre. For me, it's imagining myself lying on a beach, feeling the warm sun on my face. Sounds corny, but it works!

Also, smiling - sometimes just forcing a big smile can help change your mental perspective, especially if you're feeling overwhelmed. It's amazing how often a simple shift in facial expression can improve your mood and outlook!

These strategies, combined with the excellent ones mentioned above, can hopefully give others some ideas on how to keep their cool in pressure cooker situations!
I agree, having a few calming techniques up your sleeve is a great way to stay composed and in control. Your visualization technique of a calming scene is not corny at all; it's a well-known strategy that works wonders!

As for smiling, it's a simple yet powerful tool that can improve your mood, and those around you too. It's infective nature can help shift the atmosphere and is a great way to lead into defusing a tense situation with light-heartedness.

These strategies are helpful reminders to keep ourselves in check, especially during trying times!

Great discussion! Agreed, sometimes the simplest strategies are the most effective; visualizing a calming scene and smiling are accessible to anyone regardless of their situation. These techniques can help anybody stay composed during challenging moments. We could all use some calmness amidst chaos!

Visualisation is a powerful tool! It's incredible how something so simple can make a huge difference in managing stress and bringing about a sense of calm.

The mind has the ability to create very vivid scenes, which can trick our emotions into feeling more relaxed. Smiling - even if it's forced - also has a tremendous effect on our mood; it's amazing how something so subtle can improve our psychological state. These little strategies are like mini superpowers we can use whenever we need them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu