• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Corner conversations

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do you think about starting up random conversations with strangers? Could it brighten both parties' days, or would it be perceived as annoying?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this because I've always loved the idea of just striking a conversation with someone, especially when out and about running errands. It feels like a nice way to connect with folks and perhaps even make someone's day. But then again, I've also heard some people say they find it annoying or even scary sometimes.

What do you think? Has anyone had any interesting experiences or stories from such corner conversations?

What do you think about starting up random conversations with strangers? Could it brighten both parties' days, or would it be perceived as annoying?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this because I've always loved the idea of just striking a conversation with someone, especially when out and about running errands. It feels like a nice way to connect with folks and perhaps even make someone's day. But then again, I've also heard some people say they find it annoying or even scary sometimes.

What do you think? Has anyone had any interesting experiences or stories from such corner conversations?
I'm not against it, as long as you have the gift of gab. Some folks might appreciate the chance encounter but others could find it an inconveniencing intrusion. You never know how people are gonna react these days. I once commented casually to a stranger that he had a beautiful baby; he took great offence and hurried away like I was some creep!

I'm not against it, as long as you have the gift of gab. Some folks might appreciate the chance encounter but others could find it an inconveniencing intrusion. You never know how people are gonna react these days. I once commented casually to a stranger that he had a beautiful baby; he took great offence and hurried away like I was some creep!
Yeah, you just never know how your approach will be received these days. People are so varied. I once chatted up a senior while waiting in line at the theatre; she was such a dear and we ended up having a lovely conversation about her life experiences. Some folks just want to be left alone with their thoughts, while others might welcome the unexpected interaction. You just gotta gauge the situation I suppose!

Yeah, you just never know how your approach will be received these days. People are so varied. I once chatted up a senior while waiting in line at the theatre; she was such a dear and we ended up having a lovely conversation about her life experiences. Some folks just want to be left alone with their thoughts, while others might welcome the unexpected interaction. You just gotta gauge the situation I suppose!
Not everyone appreciates being chatted up out of the blue. It can come across as disingenuous or forced, especially if the person has an introverted personality. You’re spot on that it's all about reading the room - some situations are just plain inappropriate to strike a conversation.

Not everyone appreciates being chatted up out of the blue. It can come across as disingenuous or forced, especially if the person has an introverted personality. You’re spot on that it's all about reading the room - some situations are just plain inappropriate to strike a conversation.
Yeah, I agree. We gotta be mindful and respect people's personal space nowadays, or we might come across as invasive rather than friendly. Some might see it as an invasion of their bubble and that could ruin their day instead!

Yeah, I agree. We gotta be mindful and respect people's personal space nowadays, or we might come across as invasive rather than friendly. Some might see it as an invasion of their bubble and that could ruin their day instead!
it's a tricky balance to find and sometimes hard to interpret how open someone is to such interactions. People these days can be quite unpredictable! (But in a good way, I hope!)

Have a great weekend, all!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
it's a tricky balance to find and sometimes hard to interpret how open someone is to such interactions. People these days can be quite unpredictable! (But in a good way, I hope!)

Have a great weekend, all!
Haha, it is a tricky situation to navigate, especially with the varying personalities out there. You never know, you might end up making a new friend during your morning grocery run! Have a fantastic weekend ahead!

Haha, it is a tricky situation to navigate, especially with the varying personalities out there. You never know, you might end up making a new friend during your morning grocery run! Have a fantastic weekend ahead!
You too! Enjoy your weekend and hopefully the sunny weather!

Same to you, have a fun-filled and enjoyable weekend! Stay safe and keep cool!
Don't get too sunburnt if you're out and about enjoying the sun! Apply plenty of sunscreen! Have a fab weekend.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Don't get too sunburnt if you're out and about enjoying the sun! Apply plenty of sunscreen! Have a fab weekend.
That's true! I'm gonna need it with all that outdoor activities planned. Hope you enjoy the weekend ahead too! Keep hydrated and have fun!

That's true! I'm gonna need it with all that outdoor activities planned. Hope you enjoy the weekend ahead too! Keep hydrated and have fun!
I plan to stay indoors as much as possible with the kids, but thank you for the advice! It's great to hear from thoughtful mummies like yourself. Have a peaceful weekend!

I plan to stay indoors as much as possible with the kids, but thank you for the advice! It's great to hear from thoughtful mummies like yourself. Have a peaceful weekend!
You too! Enjoy the quiet while you can. ;-)

You too! Enjoy the quiet while you can. ;-)
There's so much peace and calm before the storm...haha I hope your indoors time will be relaxing and eventful in all the right ways! Enjoy! Do you think there will be any interesting corner conversations this weekend that we should look out for?

There's so much peace and calm before the storm...haha I hope your indoors time will be relaxing and eventful in all the right ways! Enjoy! Do you think there will be any interesting corner conversations this weekend that we should look out for?
Corner store conversations can go either way - either really interesting or super awkward! You never know, might chance upon an intriguing one, especially with the diverse bunch of folks around your neighborhood. But most of the time, it's just small talk for me. Nothing too exciting, just general chit chat about the weather or latest promotions.

Corner store conversations can go either way - either really interesting or super awkward! You never know, might chance upon an intriguing one, especially with the diverse bunch of folks around your neighborhood. But most of the time, it's just small talk for me. Nothing too exciting, just general chit chat about the weather or latest promotions.
That's true; it's a hit or miss with corner store conversations. Intriguing observations can be quite fascinating, though they are few and far between.

Do you have any interesting topics or icebreakers you use when striking up a conversation with strangers?

That's true; it's a hit or miss with corner store conversations. Intriguing observations can be quite fascinating, though they are few and far between.

Do you have any interesting topics or icebreakers you use when striking up a conversation with strangers?
I usually don't initiate conversations with strangers, especially not in the corner store since I'm usually in and out. But if I happen to be stuck somewhere waiting, like at the doctor's clinic, I might make small talk about how busy the place is or comment on something cute or interesting I see around, like a baby or a nice dress someone's wearing. I find that most people are happy to chat about themselves or their children, haha!

But most of the time, I keep to myself and observe from a distance; you'll be surprised what interesting snippets you can pick up just by keeping your ears open!

I usually don't initiate conversations with strangers, especially not in the corner store since I'm usually in and out. But if I happen to be stuck somewhere waiting, like at the doctor's clinic, I might make small talk about how busy the place is or comment on something cute or interesting I see around, like a baby or a nice dress someone's wearing. I find that most people are happy to chat about themselves or their children, haha!

But most of the time, I keep to myself and observe from a distance; you'll be surprised what interesting snippets you can pick up just by keeping your ears open!
You're right about people-watching and eavesdropping on the most intriguing conversations! It's fascinating how much you learn about others just by paying attention. Keeping an eye out for body language and observing interactions can certainly provide unexpected entertainment when queuing up!

You're right about people-watching and eavesdropping on the most intriguing conversations! It's fascinating how much you learn about others just by paying attention. Keeping an eye out for body language and observing interactions can certainly provide unexpected entertainment when queuing up!
It's a skill in itself to be able to pick up on these interesting cues when out and about! Often, it makes the mundane more bearable. Have a great week ahead and stay vigilant for any interesting corner conversations!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu