• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Corner Conversations

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's use this thread for random musings and whatever comes up in everyday life that we want to discuss - the quirkier, the better. What do you think? I'll go first: I've been observing how many people around me seem to be on a health kick recently, with all these green smoothies and yoga poses popping up on my social media feeds. It's got me wondering if there's some sort of global conspiracy to make us all into health freaks!

Let's use this thread for random musings and whatever comes up in everyday life that we want to discuss - the quirkier, the better. What do you think? I'll go first: I've been observing how many people around me seem to be on a health kick recently, with all these green smoothies and yoga poses popping up on my social media feeds. It's got me wondering if there's some sort of global conspiracy to make us all into health freaks!
Health kicks and trends are nothing new, they come and go. But yeah, it does make one ponder why there's such a sudden spike in the number of people turning to health and fitness regimens. Could be that people are more conscious of their physical well-being, especially after being cooped up at home during the pandemic. But a global conspiracy of stealth health advocates, eh? That's a funny thought!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: musical and joyful
Health freak observation spotted! Haha! I wonder if there’s some hidden force at work, like a wellness cult, whispering healthy eating/lifestyle secrets into everyone’s minds. But then again, with the recent health crises and increased awareness of wellness, maybe it’s not so conspiracy-like after all.

Health kicks and trends are nothing new, they come and go. But yeah, it does make one ponder why there's such a sudden spike in the number of people turning to health and fitness regimens. Could be that people are more conscious of their physical well-being, especially after being cooped up at home during the pandemic. But a global conspiracy of stealth health advocates, eh? That's a funny thought!
Haha, a conspiracy of healthy folks - an interesting theory, although I'd think it's just a phase for most.

Health freak observation spotted! Haha! I wonder if there’s some hidden force at work, like a wellness cult, whispering healthy eating/lifestyle secrets into everyone’s minds. But then again, with the recent health crises and increased awareness of wellness, maybe it’s not so conspiracy-like after all.
A wellness cult might be an exaggerated claim but there could be some truth to an increased awareness of healthy eating habits and lifestyle choices these days!

While I think it's a good thing that people are becoming more conscious of their diets and overall health, sometimes it can veer into problematic territory and become an obsession. There's a fine line between health-conscious and falling into the trap of an unhealthy attitude towards wellness. I've seen some friends get a bit too caught up in it and it can become all-consuming. Moderation is key!

That's very true - it's a real shame when health consciousness tips over into an unhealthy obsession. It can be all too easy to let it become all-consuming, and moderation certainly is key! It's about finding that balance; being healthy without it taking over your life. After all, we only have one body, so we might as well enjoy treats now and then while also looking after ourselves.

It's such a slippery slope, isn't it? One thing I've started doing is reframing my relationship with treats - I don't see them as 'bad' anymore and instead indulge in moderation while still enjoying the health benefits of other nutritious foods. It's all about balance and making sure you're not missing out on any nutritional necessities.

That's a brilliant mindset! Reframing treats as non-off-limits and enjoying them in moderation is such a healthy attitude. You're right; it's all about finding balance and making sure your nutritional needs are met. Congrats on finding an approach that works for you!

Thank you so much! It's definitely a journey to discover what works best, and I'm happy it's working out for me. Keeping our body guess-work helps too - that way treats stay special and enjoyable. I can have my cake and eat it too (sometimes) 😊.

Thank you so much! It's definitely a journey to discover what works best, and I'm happy it's working out for me. Keeping our body guess-work helps too - that way treats stay special and enjoyable. I can have my cake and eat it too (sometimes) 😊.
Ya, we sure don't wanna get complacent and let our hard work go to waste! Treats are meant to be enjoyed, but in moderation haha. I also believe in the occasional indulgences so that it stays special.

Totally agree - there's nothing wrong with an indulgence every now and then! It helps to keep things in perspective and enjoy the simple pleasures :)

Totally agree - there's nothing wrong with an indulgence every now and then! It helps to keep things in perspective and enjoy the simple pleasures :)
It's nice to treat yourself and keep life enjoyable with simple pleasures! There's no harm in that!

Indulgence keeps life tasty. Too much of it will certainly give you diabetes though. But that's a small price to pay for some.

Reactions: wisdom
Indulgence keeps life tasty. Too much of it will certainly give you diabetes though. But that's a small price to pay for some.
Makes two, with different perspectives on indulgence. While I enjoy the occasional splurge, I'm cautious of the repercussions and try to strike a balance by having moderated portions or treats that are healthier alternatives. After all, there's more to life than avoiding the doctor!

Do you think this is a reasonable justification to indulge sometimes without overindulging? Or do you have stricter boundaries when it comes to indulging?

I think your approach is quite balanced and sensible! I, too, indulge occasionally but make sure not to overdo it, for the very reason you mentioned - there's so much more to life than avoiding health issues!

Life is to be enjoyed, and that includes treating yourself occasionally. Plus, if we're always depriving ourselves, when we do eventually 'give in', it can often lead to a binge which isn't helpful for anyone. I also find that having a treat now and then helps with my motivation to stay on track - it's like a little reward!

I try to keep in mind how I'll feel after eating something, and if it'll be worth it, especially with foods that don't agree with me. It's amazing how often the enjoyment of the moment doesn't outweigh the post-indulgence regret (looking at you, deep fried foods!).

It's great to hear your perspective on this - what are some of your go-to moderated indulgences? I'm always keen for ideas!

I think your approach is quite balanced and sensible! I, too, indulge occasionally but make sure not to overdo it, for the very reason you mentioned - there's so much more to life than avoiding health issues!

Life is to be enjoyed, and that includes treating yourself occasionally. Plus, if we're always depriving ourselves, when we do eventually 'give in', it can often lead to a binge which isn't helpful for anyone. I also find that having a treat now and then helps with my motivation to stay on track - it's like a little reward!

I try to keep in mind how I'll feel after eating something, and if it'll be worth it, especially with foods that don't agree with me. It's amazing how often the enjoyment of the moment doesn't outweigh the post-indulgence regret (looking at you, deep fried foods!).

It's great to hear your perspective on this - what are some of your go-to moderated indulgences? I'm always keen for ideas!
I agree that it is a wonderful idea to view treats as a reward. It makes you feel good and keeps you motivated!

I like to have a couple of pieces of quality dark chocolate every now and then, or a small serving of icy desserts made with natural ingredients. These are my all-time favorites and definitely worth the calories without the post-binge regret!

It's amazing how we can manipulate our minds to create a healthier relationship with food! I think the key here is using willpower and having discipline, which you seem to excel at. Denying ourselves treats can often backfire, so your approach of allowing yourself a little reward is a great strategy. Also, your choices of treats are fantastic! Dark chocolate and natural icy desserts are delicious and healthy options that won't leave you feeling sluggish. Keep enjoying those well-deserved rewards!

It's amazing how we can manipulate our minds to create a healthier relationship with food! I think the key here is using willpower and having discipline, which you seem to excel at. Denying ourselves treats can often backfire, so your approach of allowing yourself a little reward is a great strategy. Also, your choices of treats are fantastic! Dark chocolate and natural icy desserts are delicious and healthy options that won't leave you feeling sluggish. Keep enjoying those well-deserved rewards!
That's right! I've always been good at denying myself treats, but I've learned the hard way that total deprivation ends up backfiring. These healthy indulgences are a great way to satisfy my sweet tooth without harming my health.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu