• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Community Birth Tales

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Tell us your community birth tale!

Whether it's a funny story, a heartwarming experience or something in between, we'd love to hear your unique birth story. Share all the gory details - and any lessons you learned along the way - here!

I'll go first....

• Love
Reactions: cissy and happyfeet
My son's birth was incredible. I'd planned a home birth with an amazing midwife, and my husband, mum & doula in attendance.

Contractions started late afternoon on a hot February day. My mum helped me relax through them initially, then my doula arrived later that evening to keep me focused as they intensified. At one point, I asked her if it was 'normal' for contractions to feel a certain way - little did I know, I was already 8cm dilated!

Things progressed quickly after that; my midwife checked me again soon after and said it wouldn't be long now. My waters still hadn't broken, but with the next contraction, they did - all over the bed! And not long after, I felt an immense pressure. I knew baby was coming. The midwife asked if I wanted to reach down and feel his head - an incredible moment.

Then, with the next contraction, my husband helped me onto the birth stool, and my son was born moments later - his head in my hands, then his body, all slippery and warm. My mum cut the cord, and we snuggled skin-to-skin on the bed while my doula sorted the aftermath. It was incredible - exactly the birth I'd hoped for.

Looking back, the only thing I would change is being a bit more vocal during the actual birth - I was very inwardly focused, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but might've helped with some of the more intense contractions! But overall, a positive and empowering experience.

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
My son's birth was incredible. I'd planned a home birth with an amazing midwife, and my husband, mum & doula in attendance.

Contractions started late afternoon on a hot February day. My mum helped me relax through them initially, then my doula arrived later that evening to keep me focused as they intensified. At one point, I asked her if it was 'normal' for contractions to feel a certain way - little did I know, I was already 8cm dilated!

Things progressed quickly after that; my midwife checked me again soon after and said it wouldn't be long now. My waters still hadn't broken, but with the next contraction, they did - all over the bed! And not long after, I felt an immense pressure. I knew baby was coming. The midwife asked if I wanted to reach down and feel his head - an incredible moment.

Then, with the next contraction, my husband helped me onto the birth stool, and my son was born moments later - his head in my hands, then his body, all slippery and warm. My mum cut the cord, and we snuggled skin-to-skin on the bed while my doula sorted the aftermath. It was incredible - exactly the birth I'd hoped for.

Looking back, the only thing I would change is being a bit more vocal during the actual birth - I was very inwardly focused, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but might've helped with some of the more intense contractions! But overall, a positive and empowering experience.
My first birth was similarly empowering and also a home birth with midwives. The contraction intensity took me by surprise, being my first time, and I definitely made enough noise to let everyone in the house know I was in labour! TMI but pooping during transition was also something new to me, and that was pretty funny afterwards. My main takeaway is to trust the process and your body; it's such an incredible experience being able to bring life into this world with minimal intervention. What a high!

What an amazing experience, and such great advice to future moms - trust your body, it knows what to do! There is such a high associated with bringing life into this world, and it looks like you've got some wonderful memories of your first birth experience to cherish. Congrats on your little one!

Thank you so much! It really was such a beautiful and empowering experience - one I'll never forget. My body certainly knew what to do and it was incredible to feel so in control, despite it all being so unfamiliar.

The whole pregnancy and birth reaffirmed my faith in myself as a woman, which has been a wonderful feeling. I'm so glad I listened to my instincts, and it all went so well. I truly believe that helped me have such a positive birth story to look back on - and of course lots of luck too!

I'm now even more grateful for my healthy little one sleeping soundly beside me, knowing what an incredible journey she and I embarked on together. It's amazing the strength we women can draw upon when we need it most.

Thank you so much! It really was such a beautiful and empowering experience - one I'll never forget. My body certainly knew what to do and it was incredible to feel so in control, despite it all being so unfamiliar.

The whole pregnancy and birth reaffirmed my faith in myself as a woman, which has been a wonderful feeling. I'm so glad I listened to my instincts, and it all went so well. I truly believe that helped me have such a positive birth story to look back on - and of course lots of luck too!

I'm now even more grateful for my healthy little one sleeping soundly beside me, knowing what an incredible journey she and I embarked on together. It's amazing the strength we women can draw upon when we need it most.
You're right about the strength that emerges from within during those intense moments - it's a powerful reminder of our capabilities as women! You handled it like a pro, and it's wonderful to hear how confident and proud you feel post-birth. There's nothing quite like the feeling of being a new mom and holding your tiny human. Congrats once again on your little one, she's lucky to have you!

You're right about the strength that emerges from within during those intense moments - it's a powerful reminder of our capabilities as women! You handled it like a pro, and it's wonderful to hear how confident and proud you feel post-birth. There's nothing quite like the feeling of being a new mom and holding your tiny human. Congrats once again on your little one, she's lucky to have you!
I think that's what blows my mind too - the sheer strength and resilience of women, our bodies and what they can achieve. It's crazy the power we possess and also quite humbling; it's a great reminder of our capabilities, as you say. Thanks for your kind words, mama! Us lionesses gotta stick together! 😊👏

It's incredible, isn't it? That raw, intense power and ability to endure - definitely a humbling experience! I'm glad we're on the same page :) You're very welcome, and yes us lionesses most certainly do! 👏 😊

It's incredible, isn't it? That raw, intense power and ability to endure - definitely a humbling experience! I'm glad we're on the same page :) You're very welcome, and yes us lionesses most certainly do! 👏 😊
The rawness and intensity of it all - being in the zone, completely in sync with your body during labour - is such an addictive high! I'm dueing my second this December and hoping for another empowering birth experience, this time with a water birth at the hospital. Here's to us mamas and our badassery! 😁👏

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and nature
The rawness and intensity of it all - being in the zone, completely in sync with your body during labour - is such an addictive high! I'm dueing my second this December and hoping for another empowering birth experience, this time with a water birth at the hospital. Here's to us mamas and our badassery! 😁👏
Due in December myself as well! Congrats! I'm considering a water birth too, looks like an amazing option but a relatively rare one here so I'm still researching. Definitely want another natural birth though after a great experience the first time, it's such a rush! Here's to us and our upcoming lion cubs! 😁😸👍

I'm so glad you've had positive natural births! I'm leaning towards a water birth centre, which is an hour from me but looks lovely and calm and exactly the environment I want for my second. It's nice to hear of another mum who's had such a good experience and wants to do it all naturally again. I hope everything goes well for you and your lion cub too!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
I really recommend a water birth centre - what a peaceful environment to bring your baby into the world! My first was born at one, and it set such a special, gentle tone for our birth experience. Wishing you all the best too x

I really recommend a water birth centre - what a peaceful environment to bring your baby into the world! My first was born at one, and it set such a special, gentle tone for our birth experience. Wishing you all the best too x
The birth centre is probably the best place to have a relaxing birth. The calm and gentle surroundings would certainly help any mama bear focus on her body during labour. Thank you for your kind wishes, I'm sure you will have a wonderful experience there too! It's so comforting hearing from other mamas who've had great births, it makes me feel even more certain that I've made the right choice! X

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Water birth centres do sound so soothing and relaxing compared to the typical hospital setting, which can be quite busy and clinical. That's great to hear that your experience was also positive, and hopefully, more mothers will consider this option with such good outcomes! Thanks so much, have a lovely day yourself 🧘

Water birth centres do sound so soothing and relaxing compared to the typical hospital setting, which can be quite busy and clinical. That's great to hear that your experience was also positive, and hopefully, more mothers will consider this option with such good outcomes! Thanks so much, have a lovely day yourself 🧘
The peaceful surroundings really helped set the right mood for me. enjoy the rest of your week! :)

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Yes the more peaceful surroundings make a huge difference for me because being comfortable and at ease is so important during birth. have a great afternoon yourself!

Being comfortable really helps set the tone, doesn't it? I find that an empowering atmosphere can make all the difference - and peace and comfort are fantastic contributors to that. I hope you have a lovely day too!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
Being comfortable really helps set the tone, doesn't it? I find that an empowering atmosphere can make all the difference - and peace and comfort are fantastic contributors to that. I hope you have a lovely day too!
being in an empowering environment where you feel comfortable really makes a huge difference especially during birth. Have a fantastic afternoon yourself and thank you for sharing your experiences here!

You're so right - the atmosphere and those around us can have such an impact on our experience, it's wonderful to hear you found a supportive and empowering environment. I agree, sharing these experiences is so special; thank *you* for contributing too! x

You're so right - the atmosphere and those around us can have such an impact on our experience, it's wonderful to hear you found a supportive and empowering environment. I agree, sharing these experiences is so special; thank *you* for contributing too! x
It's heartwarming to know that others share similar feelings about the ideal birthing atmosphere. and have a great evening ahead!

Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu