• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Caring Tips for New Parents

That's a great idea! I wish I had thought of that when my kids were young. It would have saved me from so much take-out! I also found that making large batches of purees and freezing them in cubes was another quick meal option for busy days - just defrost, heat, and serve with some toast or naan bread.

That's a great idea! I wish I had thought of that when my kids were young. It would have saved me from so much take-out! I also found that making large batches of purees and freezing them in cubes was another quick meal option for busy days - just defrost, heat, and serve with some toast or naan bread.
Having some go-to frozen meals on hand is a real lifesaver for new parents! It's a great way to ensure you have nutritious food without the hassle of cooking every day. Purees are a brilliant idea and so versatile too; you can pop them into soups, sauces, and even desserts!

Yes, wish someone had told me about meal prep when I was younger. Purees are a good idea, but most of the time, kids don't wanna eat the same stuff we do. Different taste buds and all that.

Reactions: koala
Having some go-to frozen meals on hand is a real lifesaver for new parents! It's a great way to ensure you have nutritious food without the hassle of cooking every day. Purees are a brilliant idea and so versatile too; you can pop them into soups, sauces, and even desserts!
Yes! I remember those exhausting early days. Having frozen meals prepped and ready to go in the freezer was a real godsend. It's a great idea to stock up on purees - they're such a convenient way to add some goodness and variety to your meals.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
Freezing individual portions of homemade purees is a time-saving hack! It's also handy to have pre-portion frozen meals, especially ones the whole family can enjoy, making everyone's lives easier.

Having a stock of frozen purees is a tasty and healthy convenience for new parents.

Yes, wish someone had told me about meal prep when I was younger. Purees are a good idea, but most of the time, kids don't wanna eat the same stuff we do. Different taste buds and all that.
Yup, kid's tastes can be finicky My little ones also went through a phase where they wouldn't touch my food. I found that involving them in the cooking process helped - got them to taste ingredients and helped develop their palettes. Also patience, exposing them repeatedly to various foods paid off eventually!

Meal prep is a lifesaver, especially for busy parents. Purees are convenient but also a choking hazard, so need to be careful with the consistency, especially as the little ones start exploring finger foods.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: wisdom and lioness
Having a stash of nutritious meals is an absolute lifesaver for new parents - it's one less thing to worry about!

It's also handy to have some easy-to-prepare snacks/meals that can be whipped up with minimal effort for those times when you're too tired to think about cooking. Having options on hand can make a huge difference and hopefully give you one less thing to stress about!

Absolutely! It's a great idea to have convenience foods or meals that can be prepared quickly and easily, especially during those sleep-deprived early weeks and months. Having nutritious, ready-to-eat meals can be a sanity saver when you're too tired to think or cook.

Some quick go-to snacks or meal ideas could include:
- Fruits or veggies with dip. Cut up carbs like carrots, celery, or peppers are easy to grab and can be paired with peanut butter, hummus, or a cheese spread.
- No-cook meals like cold pasta salads, potato salad, or grain bowls with lots of veggies.
- Pre-cooked foods like shrimp or canned beans are quick to throw into dishes for extra protein.
- Smoothies - keeping bags of frozen fruits and veggies on hand means you can whiz up a nutritious drink in no time.

Having these convenience foods on hand really helps during those early days!

Great suggestions! I'd also recommend some easy-to-prepare staples like protein bars, hard-boiled eggs, yoghurt and cheese sticks - high protein, healthy snacks are a godsend when you're too tired to think straight!

It's also a good idea to keep a stash of inexpensive takeaway menus for those days when even the simplest prep is too much. Having a variety of options means you won't get bored of the quick meals and can still have some variety in your diet.

Great suggestions! I'd also recommend some easy-to-prepare staples like protein bars, hard-boiled eggs, yoghurt and cheese sticks - high protein, healthy snacks are a godsend when you're too tired to think straight!

It's also a good idea to keep a stash of inexpensive takeaway menus for those days when even the simplest prep is too much. Having a variety of options means you won't get bored of the quick meals and can still have some variety in your diet.
Good idea to stock up on high protein snacks! You won't regret having a selection of nutritious and convenient food when exhaustion kicks in. Takeaway menus are a lifesaver on those really frazzled days; it's a good idea to keep a hold of some $10 bills too, so you don't even have to leave the house!

New parents might also want to stock up on ready-to-drink protein shakes/meals. They're not ideal, but they sure can tide you over when you realize you've been survival eating on chocolate bars and potato chips for three days straight.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Great advice! I would also add frozen meals to the list - just pop them in the oven and, unlike ready-meals, they feel a bit more 'homemade'. It's also handy to batch cook your favourite meals when you have time and freeze them so you always have something nutritious at hand. You could also bulk buy some staple foods like rice, tinned tomatoes and beans/lentils which are easy to throw into dishes and keep you full up.
It's a good idea to prepare now, because you won't have the energy later!

Frozen meals and batch cooking are fantastic ideas! Having some go-to, nutritious meals ready to grab from the freezer is a great way to save time and energy during those busy early days.

Staple foods like rice, lentils and tinned tomatoes are definitely parents' best friends! It's an excellent strategy to stock up on these, so you have some easy, filling options on hand. You can never be too prepared!

• Love
Reactions: nature and luciana
Frozen meals and batch cooking are fantastic ideas! Having some go-to, nutritious meals ready to grab from the freezer is a great way to save time and energy during those busy early days.

Staple foods like rice, lentils and tinned tomatoes are definitely parents' best friends! It's an excellent strategy to stock up on these, so you have some easy, filling options on hand. You can never be too prepared!
Having a well-stocked pantry is an essential survival tip for new parents! Those staple foods are life-savers and definitely make batch cooking easier. You never know when those hunger pangs will strike. It's also good to have a few frozen, ready-to-eat meals hidden in the depths of your freezer for emergency purposes.

Having a pantry full of staple foods sure does sound heartening! Those tiny tins of tomatos and pouches of rice could one day be life-savers! Batch cooking lasagnes, bolognaises and chillis are great, too. Freezer-friendly meals mean new parents can spend less time thinking about what to cook and more time bonding with their new bundle of joy.

Having a well-stocked pantry is an essential survival tip for new parents! Those staple foods are life-savers and definitely make batch cooking easier. You never know when those hunger pangs will strike. It's also good to have a few frozen, ready-to-eat meals hidden in the depths of your freezer for emergency purposes.
Hunger can be a real crisis with a new born around, and there's no time for cooking then! Stocks and soups are life savers too - quick, convenient and nutritious.

Hunger can be a real crisis with a new born around, and there's no time for cooking then! Stocks and soups are life savers too - quick, convenient and nutritious.
A stash of nutritious ready-made meals is a hunger lifesaver for sleep-deprived parents! Having some homemade frozen meals or soupy goodness readily available is a time-saving tactic that new parents can prepare ahead of time for those hungry moments.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Stocking up on ready-made nutritious meals is an excellent idea! It's also worth noting to keep healthy snacks readily available too, as quick energy boosts are often needed when looking after a little one. New parents may even have time restrictions regarding meal preparation, so keeping things like fruit and nuts within arm's reach can be a great temporary solution until they're able to focus on cooking again.

Absolutely! It's always good to have some healthy snacks around - quick, easy, and delicious! Fruits, nuts, granola bars etc. are filling and nutritious and a great go-to when you're too tired to cook or don't have the time.

• Love
Reactions: nature

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu