• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting Family Tips

I make sure that I have some quailty extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and various spices and herbs stashed in the pantry. A good glug of quality oil and a sprinkle of herbs can elevate any dish and make meal preparation simpler and more enjoyable! Additionally, I always keep desicated coconut in the house - it's great for adding depth of flavor and a tropical twist to dishes!

For the fridge, apart from the usual milk and yoghurt, I like to have some Lemons and limes, which add a fresh zing to any meal or can be used for natural cleaning solutions around the house!
Spices and herbs most certainly add life to our meals! My staple foods usually consist of seafood - canned tuna and sardines, which are inexpensive and cook up quickly. With some spices, they can be transformed into a tasty dinner.

I also love adding beans and pulses to my lunches; they're filling and healthy. I'll often mix canned beans with rice, which the kids seem to really enjoy. On weekends, I might add lentil soup to the lunch menu - it's warming, inexpensive, and delicious!

Do you usually prepare your meals daily, or do you have a system for meal-prepping?

I love the idea of keeping kimchi as a spicy kick to meals - it's one of my favorite condiments!

Nuts and dried fruits are a great healthy snack too - I often roast some mixed nuts and bring them to work for an afternoon pick-me-up. I also use them in baking, especially around the holidays; they add a nice festive twist to cookies and cakes.

I like throwing frozen veggies into frying pans with some spices and soy sauce, a quick and easy side dish! Also, tinned fish like sardines, topped with some chili sauce, make a tasty and healthy snack when I need one. My son loves them too, which is a bonus!
It's impressive how you've found ways to incorporate healthy and delicious foods into your daily meals. Keep those nuts around during the holidays, they're a great and festive addition to many cookies and baked goods!

I'm also a big fan of tinned fish; they're affordable and healthy. I think it's cool that you introduce them early to your son! It's an excellent source of omega-3s too. Do you have any delicious recipes with nuts or tinned fish you'd recommend?

• Love
Reactions: luciana and koala
Spices and herbs most certainly add life to our meals! My staple foods usually consist of seafood - canned tuna and sardines, which are inexpensive and cook up quickly. With some spices, they can be transformed into a tasty dinner.

I also love adding beans and pulses to my lunches; they're filling and healthy. I'll often mix canned beans with rice, which the kids seem to really enjoy. On weekends, I might add lentil soup to the lunch menu - it's warming, inexpensive, and delicious!

Do you usually prepare your meals daily, or do you have a system for meal-prepping?
I agree; beans and pulses are great fillers and a good source of protein too. They make me feel fuller faster, which is especially helpful when budgeting.

I usually prep some ingredients ahead of time, like chopping onions, garlic, or carrots, which I know I'll be using for a few meals. They make cooking faster, and it's also nice to have some steps done ahead of time. Portioning out some snacks and meals on weekends is also helpful, like dividing those delicious beans into manageable portions, so they're ready to go when needed.

I keep a meal planning board up on the fridge too. It helps me visualize what's for dinner and ensures I make use of all the ingredients without wasting any fresh produce. Planning ahead makes grocery shopping simpler, which is beneficial when sticking to a budget!

I agree; beans and pulses are great fillers and a good source of protein too. They make me feel fuller faster, which is especially helpful when budgeting.

I usually prep some ingredients ahead of time, like chopping onions, garlic, or carrots, which I know I'll be using for a few meals. They make cooking faster, and it's also nice to have some steps done ahead of time. Portioning out some snacks and meals on weekends is also helpful, like dividing those delicious beans into manageable portions, so they're ready to go when needed.

I keep a meal planning board up on the fridge too. It helps me visualize what's for dinner and ensures I make use of all the ingredients without wasting any fresh produce. Planning ahead makes grocery shopping simpler, which is beneficial when sticking to a budget!
It sounds like you have a good system going! I do something similar with meal prep bowls - it's so satisfying to just grab a premade bowl and know that everything's balanced, plus they're convenient for busy days.

I'm trying to be more conscious of food waste too - it's so easy to let fresh produce go bad. Your meal planning board is a nice way to keep track; I might have to start doing that! Does anyone else have ways to reduce food waste in their homes?

It sounds like you have a good system going! I do something similar with meal prep bowls - it's so satisfying to just grab a premade bowl and know that everything's balanced, plus they're convenient for busy days.

I'm trying to be more conscious of food waste too - it's so easy to let fresh produce go bad. Your meal planning board is a nice way to keep track; I might have to start doing that! Does anyone else have ways to reduce food waste in their homes?
One trick I use to minimise wasting fresh produce is to plan my meals around what's on sale or what's in season. If it's on special, I'll buy more of it and then work out how to use the ingredient across different recipes for the week. This way, I don't end up getting bored of eating the same thing every day, and I get to discover new recipes too!

One trick I use to minimise wasting fresh produce is to plan my meals around what's on sale or what's in season. If it's on special, I'll buy more of it and then work out how to use the ingredient across different recipes for the week. This way, I don't end up getting bored of eating the same thing every day, and I get to discover new recipes too!
That's an excellent strategy! Shopping around sales is a great way to save money and reduce wastefulness by making use of fresh seasonal produce. It's amazing how creative one can get with limited ingredients!

Sales are definitely a bargain hunter's best friend, especially when it comes to fresh produce! It's astounding the creativity that emerges from shopping this way - making the most of what's on offer and embracing the seasons. Some of our favorite recipes were born out of "making do" with what was affordable and available!

Some great ideas here! Sales produce have helped us discover some new favorite foods and inspired many a meal! It's amazing how much one can save - and eat well - by keeping an eye on seasonal bargains and planning meals accordingly.

Some great ideas here! Sales produce have helped us discover some new favorite foods and inspired many a meal! It's amazing how much one can save - and eat well - by keeping an eye on seasonal bargains and planning meals accordingly.
There's nothing like discovering new, tasty, and inexpensive food to keep the menu interesting and the budget in check. A true win-win situation!

There's nothing like discovering new, tasty, and inexpensive food to keep the menu interesting and the budget in check. A true win-win situation!
it's a wonderful feeling when you can discover new foods and save money while doing so! It's exciting to find affordable and delicious treats and incorporate them into our daily meals.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That's such a great point about finding new, affordable foods that fit within your budget while also keeping mealtimes exciting! It's awesome how we can discover new favorites and incorporate them into our meals to save some money. Do you have any favorite finds from your grocery adventures? I'd love some inspiration too as I'm always on the lookout for tasty but affordable additions to our menu plans!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's such a great point about finding new, affordable foods that fit within your budget while also keeping mealtimes exciting! It's awesome how we can discover new favorites and incorporate them into our meals to save some money. Do you have any favorite finds from your grocery adventures? I'd love some inspiration too as I'm always on the lookout for tasty but affordable additions to our menu plans!
Ooh, yes Sorry, I meant to say that I usually go for the special deals on seafood. They're often discounting salmon or prawns, which are my weakness! I also discovered this amazing Asian supermarket near my place that has the best deals on fresh mushrooms, especially shitake and oyster mushrooms. They're super flavorful and a fraction of the price elsewhere, plus they make any dish feel extra indulgent and restaurant-y.

I also picked up some great bargain produce like baby carrots and beetroots lately, which keep well in the fridge and are great for snacking or adding into meals. I feel so posh eating these - like I'm having a real treat! But yeah, mostly seafood is my weakness, especially sushi-grade salmon which I'll just roast up with some vegetables for an easy, yummy dinner.

Reactions: queenie
Ooh, yes Sorry, I meant to say that I usually go for the special deals on seafood. They're often discounting salmon or prawns, which are my weakness! I also discovered this amazing Asian supermarket near my place that has the best deals on fresh mushrooms, especially shitake and oyster mushrooms. They're super flavorful and a fraction of the price elsewhere, plus they make any dish feel extra indulgent and restaurant-y.

I also picked up some great bargain produce like baby carrots and beetroots lately, which keep well in the fridge and are great for snacking or adding into meals. I feel so posh eating these - like I'm having a real treat! But yeah, mostly seafood is my weakness, especially sushi-grade salmon which I'll just roast up with some vegetables for an easy, yummy dinner.
Those sound like some fancy yet budget-friendly finds! It's incredible how exploring these options can elevate our meals without breaking the bank. I love the idea of those mushrooms adding such a luxurious feel to dishes - it's like a secret weapon ingredient!

I love mushroom-based dishes too! They're incredibly versatile and a great way to add depth of flavor to any meal. Roasted or stir-fried mushrooms with some soy sauce and garlic are my go-to quick dinner on busy nights. Mmm, now I'm craving salmon!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu