• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budgeting Family Tips

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's never enough money to go around these days - especially with kids! But how do you make every dollar stretch further than you ever thought possible without compromising on the important stuff?

Our household has developed a few strategies over the years that help us stay afloat and thought it was high time we shared them with others in the hopes of getting some new ideas from you lovely people too!

So, what's your top money-saving tips for keeping the family finances happy & healthy without sacrificing any fun?

1. Plan ahead - menu planning is the key to keeping costs down and avoiding takeouts/eating out. Planning meals in advance saves so much $$$ and also reduces food waste!

2. Batch cooking has been a godsend and makes busy weeknights a breeze. We do it once a week and freeze portions so there's always a quick, inexpensive meal ready to go.

3. No more impulse buys! They add up quickly. We give ourselves a 24hr cool down period for any non-essentials. Often the thrill passes which saves us a bundle.

4. Shop sales & clearances for wardrobe updates. The kids grow so fast that it's silly to pay full price - plus their personalities change too! So many bargains online if you have the time to hunt them down.

5. DIY home days are the best! Movies, board games, baking, dress ups...the kids love it and it costs next to nothing. Why spend a fortune on entertainment when fun can be had at home?

6. One big family outing per season - we pick one special thing to look forward each term; a trip to the beach, camping, theme park etc. It's something to plan for and looks forward to without breaking the bank.

What are your secrets? Share the frugal love!

There's never enough money to go around these days - especially with kids! But how do you make every dollar stretch further than you ever thought possible without compromising on the important stuff?

Our household has developed a few strategies over the years that help us stay afloat and thought it was high time we shared them with others in the hopes of getting some new ideas from you lovely people too!

So, what's your top money-saving tips for keeping the family finances happy & healthy without sacrificing any fun?

1. Plan ahead - menu planning is the key to keeping costs down and avoiding takeouts/eating out. Planning meals in advance saves so much $$$ and also reduces food waste!

2. Batch cooking has been a godsend and makes busy weeknights a breeze. We do it once a week and freeze portions so there's always a quick, inexpensive meal ready to go.

3. No more impulse buys! They add up quickly. We give ourselves a 24hr cool down period for any non-essentials. Often the thrill passes which saves us a bundle.

4. Shop sales & clearances for wardrobe updates. The kids grow so fast that it's silly to pay full price - plus their personalities change too! So many bargains online if you have the time to hunt them down.

5. DIY home days are the best! Movies, board games, baking, dress ups...the kids love it and it costs next to nothing. Why spend a fortune on entertainment when fun can be had at home?

6. One big family outing per season - we pick one special thing to look forward each term; a trip to the beach, camping, theme park etc. It's something to plan for and looks forward to without breaking the bank.

What are your secrets? Share the frugal love!
Being a single parent comes with already budgeting on a tight budget, so I completely relate! Here are some of my no-nonsense, tried-and-tested strategies that keep my family's finances afloat without sacrificing fun:

- The 3-day rule: Like you, I implement a wait-it-out period for impulse buys, but mine is 3 days. If I still want/need it after 3 days, then it's probably a good investment.

- Cut the craft store habit: As a creative person, it can be enticing to visit the arts and crafts store for project supplies. Instead, I now frequent dollar stores first for bargains.

- Save on power bills with DIY cleaning products: I make my own natural cleaning solutions, which cost a fraction of the price and are safer for the kids too.

Your tip about clearance sales is spot on! That's how I managed to get quality clothes for my fast-growing kids without the hefty price tag.

What other money saving tips do you swear by when it comes to keeping your finances in check?

Being a single parent comes with already budgeting on a tight budget, so I completely relate! Here are some of my no-nonsense, tried-and-tested strategies that keep my family's finances afloat without sacrificing fun:

- The 3-day rule: Like you, I implement a wait-it-out period for impulse buys, but mine is 3 days. If I still want/need it after 3 days, then it's probably a good investment.

- Cut the craft store habit: As a creative person, it can be enticing to visit the arts and crafts store for project supplies. Instead, I now frequent dollar stores first for bargains.

- Save on power bills with DIY cleaning products: I make my own natural cleaning solutions, which cost a fraction of the price and are safer for the kids too.

Your tip about clearance sales is spot on! That's how I managed to get quality clothes for my fast-growing kids without the hefty price tag.

What other money saving tips do you swear by when it comes to keeping your finances in check?
Oh gosh, there's so many little habits that help! I try not to buy anything new unless absolutely necessary - which means learning to repair and upcycle. Fixed a lot of stuff myself instead of hiring help, saved quite a bit there! Also, learning simple sewing skills comes in handy for quick wardrobe fixes or making something new out of old. Got some nifty upcycling ideas from YouTube too!

And although it may seem obvious, it's surprising how many folks forget to do this: keep an eye on subscriptions and memberships, and chop off anything we don't need. It's amazing how those little charges can add up quickly when left unnoticed.

Besides that, growing some of our own food has been super rewarding and frugal - herbs, spices, even veggies like tomatoes and chili peppers thrive in our urban balcony garden! No extra cost for the plants cos I propagate them myself from scratch haha! And it's so satisfying to use home-grown ingredients in my cooking.

Those are some great habits!

I especially relate to the bit about fixing and upcycling - I recently mended a torn coat instead of buying a new one, saved me quite a bit of money! And it's amazing how rewarding it is to grow and use your own produce. Home-grown ingredients taste so much fresher too.

It's incredible how many hidden costs we can rack up on subscriptions and such - definitely an area to keep a close eye on. I've taken to using a budgeting app that helps me track such expenses, really opens your eyes!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
Those little habits really do add up don't they - good job on mending that coat! I've found that fixing and upcycling not only saves money, but it's also a great feeling giving something new life rather than buying new.

It's amazing how much we can save by simply being more aware of our spending habits. Budgeting apps are such a helpful tool - it's scary (but eye opening) to see the numbers right there!

Reactions: travelmum
Those little habits really do add up don't they - good job on mending that coat! I've found that fixing and upcycling not only saves money, but it's also a great feeling giving something new life rather than buying new.

It's amazing how much we can save by simply being more aware of our spending habits. Budgeting apps are such a helpful tool - it's scary (but eye opening) to see the numbers right there!
Being aware is half the battle won, in my opinion! It's a great start to be conscious of our spending and intentional with our purchases.

I've found that another way to save is simply by shopping at the wet market instead of the supermarket for our groceries. The prices are much more affordable, plus the variety encourages me to cook with seasonal produce. I also tend to buy only what's needed for a couple of days so we don't waste food. It takes extra effort to go down every few days, but the savings are worth it!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Being aware is half the battle won, in my opinion! It's a great start to be conscious of our spending and intentional with our purchases.

I've found that another way to save is simply by shopping at the wet market instead of the supermarket for our groceries. The prices are much more affordable, plus the variety encourages me to cook with seasonal produce. I also tend to buy only what's needed for a couple of days so we don't waste food. It takes extra effort to go down every few days, but the savings are worth it!
That's a great strategy! I'm lucky to live near a wet market too, and you're right; it's a huge money saver. The fresh produce is so much cheaper, and haggling for better prices is always fun! It also helps that the vendors are usually friendly and helpful, which makes the grocery trip more enjoyable.

Are there any other budget-conscious folks out there with tips for us?

My go-to budgeting tip is meal planning! Taking some time each week to plan meals and create a grocery list has made a huge difference. It prevents last-minute, impulse buys and saves so much on groceries.

I also like to stock up on non-perishables when they're on sale. It's a great way to save in the long run and ensures you always have something on hand for those busy nights. Batch cooking has also become a weekend staple - it's great to have ready-to-eat meals in the freezer for those days when you don't feel like cooking.

And I second the sentiment on markets - not only are they cheaper, but the variety encourages creativity in the kitchen!

My go-to budgeting tip is meal planning! Taking some time each week to plan meals and create a grocery list has made a huge difference. It prevents last-minute, impulse buys and saves so much on groceries.

I also like to stock up on non-perishables when they're on sale. It's a great way to save in the long run and ensures you always have something on hand for those busy nights. Batch cooking has also become a weekend staple - it's great to have ready-to-eat meals in the freezer for those days when you don't feel like cooking.

And I second the sentiment on markets - not only are they cheaper, but the variety encourages creativity in the kitchen!
Meal planning is a fantastic strategy that keeps our groceries in check! Batch cooking and having a well-stocked pantry saves the day for busy nights or unexpected guests too. And you're right, visiting the bustling marketplace offers great inspiration to try new things - it's almost like a mini adventure every time.

Meal planning and batch cooking are definitely budgeting wins! I find that having a pantry stocked with ingredients for quick meals is essential when you don't have time to shop. It's also helped me to avoid buying takeaway meals, which can really add up. And yes, those marketplace visits are inspiring - 'free' ideas and recipe testers! What are some of the tasty budget-friendly recipes you've discovered through your shopping adventures?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I love stocking up on affordable, versatile ingredients like rice, lentils, frozen veggies and canned tuna. With a few key ingredients on hand, I can throw together a tasty meal without needing to shop every day.

Some budget-friendly recipes I've discovered include a tasty lentil and vegetable soup, which is not only filling but also cheap to make. I also love making rice dishes - Spanish-style paella is a great one as it uses simple ingredients. Also adding herbs and spices I already have to scrambled eggs with veggies is an easy and delicious way to use up leftovers!

What are some of your go-to budget meal staples?

Great tips! We have similar staple foods!

I also love using tinned tomatoes - they're cheap and versatile, and work well in pasta sauces, curries, and chillies. I'll often bulk them out with some frozen veggies and/or lentils too.

Frozen fruit is another budget-friendly win for me - it's usually cheaper than fresh, and can be popped straight into smoothies without anyone knowing they were ever frozen! It also means I don't have to worry about fresh produce going off before I get a chance to eat it.

I'm also a big fan of cheap staple foods like pasta, tinned beans/chickpeas, and potatoes. So many delicious meals can be made with these as a base!

• Love
Reactions: queenie and luciana
Great tips! We have similar staple foods!

I also love using tinned tomatoes - they're cheap and versatile, and work well in pasta sauces, curries, and chillies. I'll often bulk them out with some frozen veggies and/or lentils too.

Frozen fruit is another budget-friendly win for me - it's usually cheaper than fresh, and can be popped straight into smoothies without anyone knowing they were ever frozen! It also means I don't have to worry about fresh produce going off before I get a chance to eat it.

I'm also a big fan of cheap staple foods like pasta, tinned beans/chickpeas, and potatoes. So many delicious meals can be made with these as a base!
It seems like we mostly have similar strategies for feeding our families on a budget! Tinned tomatoes are versatile; I also use them to make baked rice dishes and pasta sauces.

I haven't tried frozen fruits in smoothies - that's a fantastic idea! It's true that fresh produce can be expensive and doesn't last, so your tip is a great way to enjoy fruit without the guilt of potential wastage.

Pasta, beans, and chickpeas are such great comfort foods, and there are so many ways to prepare them. Budget-friendly recipes often turn out to be the most delicious and comforting!

Tinned tomatoes are a budgeter's best friend! They're versatile and such a good base for so many meals.

Frozen fruits are a godsend for smoothies - they often have the same, if not more, nutrients as fresh fruit, especially when out of season. I like to keep a bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer and throw them into the blender. It's also great to pop some into your child's lunchbox; by lunchtime, they've defrosted and are ready to eat - a cheap and healthy snack!

Pasta, beans and pulses are go-to staples in our house. They're affordable and keep us full - I'm always experimenting with new recipes to keep things interesting, too!

Tinned tomatoes are a budgeter's best friend! They're versatile and such a good base for so many meals.

Frozen fruits are a godsend for smoothies - they often have the same, if not more, nutrients as fresh fruit, especially when out of season. I like to keep a bag of frozen mixed berries in the freezer and throw them into the blender. It's also great to pop some into your child's lunchbox; by lunchtime, they've defrosted and are ready to eat - a cheap and healthy snack!

Pasta, beans and pulses are go-to staples in our house. They're affordable and keep us full - I'm always experimenting with new recipes to keep things interesting, too!
Budgeting doesn't have to be boring Experimenting with different foods keeps the meals interesting without breaking the bank. That's what I do too -- keeping meals interesting by incorporating varied frozen fruits in my smoothies or making delicious pasta dishes with tinned tomatoes and mixed beans.

What other food staples do you think are worth keeping in the pantry or freezer for those busy nights?

Budgeting doesn't have to be boring Experimenting with different foods keeps the meals interesting without breaking the bank. That's what I do too -- keeping meals interesting by incorporating varied frozen fruits in my smoothies or making delicious pasta dishes with tinned tomatoes and mixed beans.

What other food staples do you think are worth keeping in the pantry or freezer for those busy nights?
Having a variety of foods in your pantry is so important to keep meal times exciting! I also keep a few packets of quick-cook meals, like instant noodles and cuppa soups, which are handy for those really busy nights. They don't have to be used often, but they're great to have on hand when you need them.

Frozen vegetables are another must-have; I go for the mixed variety packs. They're so convenient, especially for nights when I realise rather late that I haven't defrosted anything for dinner!

What about you, any secret staple foods that you always keep stocked?

Having a variety of foods in your pantry is so important to keep meal times exciting! I also keep a few packets of quick-cook meals, like instant noodles and cuppa soups, which are handy for those really busy nights. They don't have to be used often, but they're great to have on hand when you need them.

Frozen vegetables are another must-have; I go for the mixed variety packs. They're so convenient, especially for nights when I realise rather late that I haven't defrosted anything for dinner!

I agree that having a variety of ingredients in our pantry helps to keep our meals interesting. In addition to the mentioned frozen vegetables and quick-cook meals, I like keeping some sachets of spicy kimchi in the fridge for that instant burst of flavor. They come in handy when I'm cooking with plain ingredients like noodles or rice.

I also love my collection of different nuts and dried fruits. A handful each of these makes a satisfying and healthy snack when paired together, and they can be added to meals as garnishes or cooked together for extra depth in stir-fries. These definitely come in handy during camping trips!

Do you have any go-to recipes that incorporate your staple foods?

I make sure that I have some quailty extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and various spices and herbs stashed in the pantry. A good glug of quality oil and a sprinkle of herbs can elevate any dish and make meal preparation simpler and more enjoyable! Additionally, I always keep desicated coconut in the house - it's great for adding depth of flavor and a tropical twist to dishes!

For the fridge, apart from the usual milk and yoghurt, I like to have some Lemons and limes, which add a fresh zing to any meal or can be used for natural cleaning solutions around the house!

I agree that having a reserve of quick-cook meals is a time-saver, though I try not to rely on them too often because of the salt and preservative content. They're definitely a busy night lifesaver!

I'm a big advocate for frozen seafood. I'll pop some prawns or fish fillets into a baking dish straight from the freezer and add some herbs and spices. They cook in no time and are an excellent, healthy addition to frozen veggies and rice or pasta.

Otherwise, I keep my pantry stacked with various teas and instant coffee - great for a quick drink or an easy dessert when company stops by!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
I agree that having a variety of ingredients in our pantry helps to keep our meals interesting. In addition to the mentioned frozen vegetables and quick-cook meals, I like keeping some sachets of spicy kimchi in the fridge for that instant burst of flavor. They come in handy when I'm cooking with plain ingredients like noodles or rice.

I also love my collection of different nuts and dried fruits. A handful each of these makes a satisfying and healthy snack when paired together, and they can be added to meals as garnishes or cooked together for extra depth in stir-fries. These definitely come in handy during camping trips!

Do you have any go-to recipes that incorporate your staple foods?
I love the idea of keeping kimchi as a spicy kick to meals - it's one of my favorite condiments!

Nuts and dried fruits are a great healthy snack too - I often roast some mixed nuts and bring them to work for an afternoon pick-me-up. I also use them in baking, especially around the holidays; they add a nice festive twist to cookies and cakes.

I like throwing frozen veggies into frying pans with some spices and soy sauce, a quick and easy side dish! Also, tinned fish like sardines, topped with some chili sauce, make a tasty and healthy snack when I need one. My son loves them too, which is a bonus!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu