• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget Family Secrets

Keeping up appearances can be costly! A great money-saver is to buy good quality, durable basics like shirts or shoes in neutral colors that can be worn across seasons and occasions. This way, you cut down on unnecessary purchases and develop a versatile wardrobe without the bulk.

Our family also practices the 3-day rule for impulse buys -- if we see something we want, we wait three days before purchasing to avoid buying on a whim. More often than not, the urge fades, saving us money!
Quality basics are a great investment! I especially love the idea of wearing versatile pieces that can be styled differently.

Another way we save is by harnessing the power of the freezer. We cook large batches of soups and stews and stock them in portions to have a quick meal ready when we're too tired or busy to cook. This prevents us from reaching for the easier, more costly option of eating out or ordering in.

Keeping up appearances can be costly! A great money-saver is to buy good quality, durable basics like shirts or shoes in neutral colors that can be worn across seasons and occasions. This way, you cut down on unnecessary purchases and develop a versatile wardrobe without the bulk.

Our family also practices the 3-day rule for impulse buys -- if we see something we want, we wait three days before purchasing to avoid buying on a whim. More often than not, the urge fades, saving us money!
Good quality clothing that's timeless and versatile is definitely a more frugal approach in the long run. But I think most teenagers wouldn't agree, especially with the 3-day rule! Their impulse purchases keep fashion retailers in business.

Sell old gadgets, devices or games that the kids have grown tired of, then split the proceeds evenly among them as their pocket money. Teaches them the value of money and encourages less materialistic tendencies.

Also, buy quality stationery and school supplies that'll last a long time - think leather bags, sturdy shoe brands and good pens. Saves money in the long run.
That's a great idea to get the kids involved with earning their own pocket money and learning financial skills!

Bags and shoes, especially those of good quality, can be quite an investment. It certainly pays off to do some research and go for durable, classic styles that'll remain functional and stylish through the years.

Sell old gadgets, devices or games that the kids have grown tired of, then split the proceeds evenly among them as their pocket money. Teaches them the value of money and encourages less materialistic tendencies.

Also, buy quality stationery and school supplies that'll last a long time - think leather bags, sturdy shoe brands and good pens. Saves money in the long run.
That's a clever way to teach children about finances and also encourage them to be more mindful of their purchases!

We have also found that subscribing to newspapers and magazines for the family comes with hidden deals and recommendations for affordable outings. We discovered free or cheap events that we wouldn't have known about otherwise, which is how we found our current favorite picnic spot! It's also a nice way to support local arts and culture events by attending their featured ones.

That's a great idea to encourage kids to let go of old gadgets! Giving them an incentive and getting them involved in decision-making is a sneaky but effective way to teach them about finances.

Leather school bags do look more durable, but I'm not too sure about the practicality of encouraging kids to invest in leather shoes, haha. But definitely agree with you on the stationery! Sturdy and good quality stationery always gives a satisfying feeling and encourages care and precision when using them.

That's an interesting one! Giving it a fancy name definitely makes budgeting sound more fun and that's half the battle won haha. I like how you're teaching the young ones about money the soonest; wish I had learned these lessons earlier in life!
giving things fun and catchy names does make them more appealing! Teaching children about finance and saving is a skill that benefits them throughout their lives. It's never too late to start picking up good financial habits though; we adults can learn from each other too!

That's an interesting one! Giving it a fancy name definitely makes budgeting sound more fun and that's half the battle won haha. I like how you're teaching the young ones about money the soonest; wish I had learned these lessons earlier in life!
'The Money-Saving adventures' sounds like an exciting, educative series parents could use to teach their kids about financial literacy! Budgets can be empowering when packaged right. :)

• Love
Reactions: eternity and joyful
giving things a cute or fancy name does make them seem more appealing, and I must admit the 36 Hour Fast sounds much more exciting than it actually is hah!

What other fun names would you give to these budgeting hacks to make them sound like fun family adventures?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: chickadee and cissy
giving things a fancy name or a twist adds a bit of fun and allure to an otherwise mundane activity. Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to make budgeting sound even more exciting... any ideas? But yes, I agree that learning these money habits early saves us from many financial pitfalls later!

Budgeting has got to start young, might as well make it appealing too. Learning about money early could have saved me some mistakes, that's for sure - especially with impulse buying! But then again, some lessons need to be learned the hard way...Can't shield them from everything, right? At least it's a good conversation starter on financial literacy, which is an important life skill.

That's a clever idea! It's amazing how quickly technology becomes obsolete these days. Making some money off these pre-loved gadgets while they still have some value sounds like a win!
Yes, it's a great way to upgrade to the latest model without breaking the bank, and to teach kids the concept of 'old is gold'!

That's a clever idea! It's amazing how quickly technology becomes obsolete these days. Making some money off these pre-loved gadgets while they still have some value sounds like a win!
Yes, especially with how fast electronics companies release new models these days! It's quite astonishing how a device can go from cutting-edge to antique in just a few short years. Selling them second hand is a good way to recoup some costs and prevent waste. I once sold my old smartphone and got a decent amount back which I was happy about.

What other budget secrets do you all have up your sleeves? Do share!

That's an interesting strategy to impart financial lessons to the young ones! My girl is too young for an allowance, but I'll certainly remember this for when she's older.
For now, I keep costs down by making use of hand-me downs from friends with older kids. Clothes, shoes and even some toys get passed around among parents in our circle. It's quite the efficient system, and helps foster bonds between the children too!

Yes especially the latest models that seem to be released monthly! There's good value in these devices when they're slightly used but still functional and appealing. It's a good lesson on the value of sustainability too - less waste and more money saved!

Yes Kids these days get bored easily and the thrill of having new toys is often short-lived, especially with the latest fads. Selling the pre-loved items also helps the environment by reducing electronic waste in addition to saving money. A win-win situation!

Yup, might as well put those old gadgets to good use and let them earn their keep haha! Could help pay for new ones, even if it's just partially. Kids these days aren't too keen on being behind the times either, so it's a win-win.

That's a clever idea to keep the finances in check and environmental waste minimized. It amazes me how people can come up with so many innovative ways to stretch their dollars. A tech-related one indeed - quick, convenient, and eco-friendly!
Wow, you guys really know how to stretch your dollars. I'm impressed by these budget hacks! It's incredible how creative parents can get.

That's a clever idea to keep the finances in check and environmental waste minimized. It amazes me how people can come up with so many innovative ways to stretch their dollars. A tech-related one indeed - quick, convenient, and eco-friendly!
It boggles the mind, doesn't it? The lengths that creative individuals go to, to save every dollar! I've never heard of anyone else selling old gadgets as a budget hack before, but it sounds so sensible. It's incredible how easily these frugal innovations can slip our minds when we're not aware.

That's an interesting strategy you've employed to teach your kids the importance of budgeting. Most people don't realize that saving can be fun, and delaying gratification has quite the opposite effect on happiness than what most would think!

there are many budget-conscious folks out there who are willing to part with their pre-loved items for a steal; you just have to know where to look and be quick!
it's quite eye-opening to see how creative parents are when teaching their children about money! It's a crucial life skill, yet not many people enjoy teaching it, probably because it's a delicate and ongoing process. Better start them young as they say!

Yeah, I'm always blown away by the creativity behind these budgeting hacks. People are coming up with really imaginative strategies! It's an interesting twist on the usual financial advice, which tends to be rather sterile and repetitive.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu